PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

XD Joe
December 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
gurion,
Sorry about your SoCal situation... you just have to be more thoughtful and creative in your defense plans. You may want to ask your question at www.thehighroad.org. Lots of great, smart guys there that could offer solutions for you.

Byrd,
I have done some IPSC and agree with you. I shoot IDPA at least once a month. Almost half the guys I shoot with are christians, great fellowship!

gurion
December 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I'm reading that they want us to transport concealable weapons in padlocked, hard-sided containers.

In my experience, in rural areas, older officers are usually pretty flexible toward open carry when you have good manners and bill of sale.

Riverside County is supposed to be the pits when it comes to CCW, but there's more advice at http://californiaccw.org

By my understanding, this infringement costs $500 + psych exam + $250 for renewals.

A regular at the above website offers attorneys for 'serious' people who get turned down.

XD Joe
December 18th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Quote:
"Equally important, albeit in light of some recent events, ...isn't illegal in most states to carry in a Church? "

In NC, it is legal to carry in church. I dont understand why liberals would mess with that anyway! Arent they supposed to be big on the separation of church and state? The hypocrites!:preach

Compatriot G
December 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Quote:
"Equally important, albeit in light of some recent events, ...isn't illegal in most states to carry in a Church? "

In NC, it is legal to carry in church. I dont understand why liberals would mess with that anyway! Arent they supposed to be big on the separation of church and state? The hypocrites!:preach

It is also legal to do so in Indiana. There used to be several ladies in my church that carried. I'm sure a few of them still do. I know one lady, who is now in her mid-80's, that carried a Colt M-1908 .25ACP for many years. I assume she still does.

NewWorldOrder
December 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
It is also legal to do so in Indiana. There used to be several ladies in my church that carried. I'm sure a few of them still do. I know one lady, who is now in her mid-80's, that carried a Colt M-1908 .25ACP for many years. I assume she still does.

It's legal in Texas as well, unless they have the proper 30.06 sign posted at the entrance, which they don't.

Byrd
December 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Carrying in church is illeagl in Kansas as well. In fact our churhc is posted! I asked the pastor about it & he said the local DA sent the signs out and he thought that they had to put them up! We talked about it, he is not a gun guy & is not too fond of firearms in chruch, so I respect that, after all he is my Pastor, and a very good, Godly man.

As to alternate means of self defense, you might check into some of the martial arts, but be sure they are teaching defense tactics only, as some of them get into the spiritual aspects of the discipline as well. That would not be good for a Christian.

I have a friend who is inth Ju - Jitsu, without the "spirituality" teaching, and I would not want to pull a weapon on him...he would hurt you. The best form of defense is your mind, be aware of your surroundings, don't put yourself in a situation where there might be danger, etc.

XD Joe
December 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Quote:
"It's legal in Texas as well, unless they have the proper 30.06 sign posted at the entrance, which they don't."

Huh? What is a 30.06 sign? Is it a picture of an M1 Garand?:idunno

NewWorldOrder
December 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Quote:
"It's legal in Texas as well, unless they have the proper 30.06 sign posted at the entrance, which they don't."

Huh? What is a 30.06 sign? Is it a picture of an M1 Garand?:idunno

:lol2 No, it's in the Texas Penal Code. If a private business owner does not want any licensed concealed gun owners carrying into their place of business they must post a sign with the exact wording from Penal Code 30.06 in certain size letters, and in Spanish for it to be a valid notice. If they don't post it then it's legal to carry pretty much anywhere except for schools, courthouses, and a couple of other places. Though, if we do see a sign, and I have seen one, we won't give that place our business. :)

NewWorldOrder
December 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I have a question for you seasoned carriers. I've only been carrying for about a month, and I was wondering if any of you carry with a chambered round. I pretty nervous about doing that, but I've realized that by not doing so I'm putting myself in more danger. My pistol does not have an external safety on it, but I was doing some dry firing, and realized that the trigger has to be pulled all the way back to fire, so maybe I should carry with a round in the chamber.

Opinions please.... I'm still not sure. I should practice unholstering with the trigger reset, and see if I accidentally pull it.

Byrd
December 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
NewWorldOrder - concerning carrying with a chambered round, if I remember correctly, you are using a S&W MP? If so it is perfectly safe to carry with a round in the chamber. That is the way the pistol was designed to be carried. I would also ask how you carry? If you are using a quality holster, it should cover the trigger guard so that it cannot be accidently pulled.

To carry with a loaded magazine, and an empty chamber puts you at a disadvantage it a hostile situation, as you have to rack the slide of your weapon to ready it to defend yourself. There are many reasons this is not a good idea, as in, you may have been grabbed by one arm, or injured in an arm, and unable to use both hands. In a fight, it will not be like in the movies, it will be up close and VERY personal, and you need to be able to present your weapon quickly and effeciently.

Also, you should practice shooting one handed with both strong and weak hands so that you are familiar with using the weapon that way. Shoot a lot, practice dryfiring, if you can get some professional instruction. As you become more proficient, you will become more comfortable with carrying your weapon fully loaded.

That being said, be safe, keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, never let the muzzle of the weapon cross anything you are not willing to destroy, and treat every weapon as if it were loaded. When someone hands you a weapon, even if they say it is not loaded, check it yourself! Every time you pick up your weapon, verify it as being loaded or not.

You are wise to be concerned with safety. A pistol is a tool, and properly used it is very effective, but just like any other tool, safety is #1!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I would be glad to help if I can. The right to carry is a passion of mine!