Thread: Social Security Numbering System Vulnerable to Fraud, Experts Say

Default Social Security Numbering System Vulnerable to Fraud, Experts Say

The nation’s Social Security numbering system has left millions of citizens vulnerable to privacy breaches, according to researchers at Carnegie Mellon University, who for the first time have used statistical techniques to predict Social Security numbers solely from an individual’s date and location of birth.
    Readers' Comments

The findings, published Monday in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, are further evidence that privacy safeguards created in the era before powerful computers and ubiquitous networks are increasingly failing, setting up an “architecture of vulnerability” around personal digital information, the researchers said.

The researchers, Alessandro Acquisti, an associate professor of information technology and public policy, and Ralph Gross, a postdoctoral researcher, noted that there were a range of implications from the research, including that it was now possible to routinely reconstruct sensitive personal information from the type of online postings frequently found on social networking sites and other public sources.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/us/07numbers.html?hp

"I am the Lord,
    your Holy One,
    the creator of Israel,
    your King."

Isaiah 43:15

littlesmom Guest

I once had a boss that could do that. There was a formula for doing it. That is the reason I do not give out the last 4 digits of my SS#.

Well, when you think about it, there was always a flaw to the Social Security number system to begin with. Placing one's identity on a number isn't all that of a smart idea. A number can be easily copied and manipulated, while our DNA, the source of our physical identity at least, is more reliable, complex and can't be copied. It's sad how we identify our very beings through systems and databases as if computer files instead of on our person and spirit.
    Let's Dance, kupo!

Think of all the places that already have your s.s. # on file. Everything from creditors, employers, banks, etc. That's where a lot of the fraud happens.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Indy Guest

they cause the problem then we ask for them to fix it then they put in place chips under skin to get what they wanted in first place...
    its how they work

deafgl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    they cause the problem then we ask for them to fix it then they put in place chips under skin to get what they wanted in first place...
    its how they work
    That's what I was thinking. They want to mark us like cows, but oh well.. it is all done in the name of money (and crimes).

If there are only 9 numbers, what happens when they exceed this amount of residents? 999,999,999? Do they recycle them?

_ _ _ - _ _ -_ _ _ _?

Ask an unbeliever this simple question: why is this year even called 2013, anyway?
    ...who IS the standard measurement of all time in HIStory?

2013 A.D.
    * Anno Domini - means "Anno Domini Nostri Iesu <Jesu> Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus")

Stan Guest

It is when Operation Soylent Green is implemented, overpopulation leads to depleted resources, which in turn leads to widespread unemployment and poverty.

Seemomgonuts Guest

Our health insurance policy number for years and years was Hubby's SSN. I HATED having to put that on things like camp forms, so I just stopped doing it- told places that if there was a health emergency they could call any one of xyz people who would deal directly with the emergency room if I was unavailable. We now have a policy number, which is what it should have been like in the first place. Drives me nuts too that the schools ask for it on some emergency cards. It shouldn't be used for any identification except for financial, and even then, there should be better safeguards.

Quote Originally Posted by Seemomgonuts View Post
    Our health insurance policy number for years and years was Hubby's SSN. I HATED having to put that on things like camp forms, so I just stopped doing it- told places that if there was a health emergency they could call any one of xyz people who would deal directly with the emergency room if I was unavailable. We now have a policy number, which is what it should have been like in the first place. Drives me nuts too that the schools ask for it on some emergency cards. It shouldn't be used for any identification except for financial, and even then, there should be better safeguards.
    My children's schools use to ask for their numbers....I always refused. They also acted like it was such a big deal. They wanted me to write a letter to the school every year telling them I refused to give them to numbers. lol I also refused to write the letter. They always claimed that they needed for a school ID number....I told them to make one up. I also always refused to give it to doctors or anyone else. Mine was good enough! People always looked at me like I was nuts.... but that's ok....

I was at the doctor where you sign in this AM and you check in listing the last 5 of your social on a list. Assuming most people living here got their SS# here (since that tends to be the case) that leaves you needing to only figure out one number.

Name, city, and all but the 4th digit.

antsinmypants Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RosettaLuv View Post
    Well, when you think about it, there was always a flaw to the Social Security number system to begin with...
    Exactly.

When I was in the US we were watching some older Tv shows, such as Dragnet -- and there was an episode we watched that dealt with SSN fraud. I believe the episode was one from the early 60s. If it was 'easy' then, imagine how much easier it is now if you have a little hacker know how.

is the reason I do not give out the last 4 digits of my SS#.
    just curious~how do you never have to give that out?
    when you call certain companys that's what they ask for to verify who's calling by your last 4 digits.
    Psalms 62:6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken

Quote Originally Posted by Architectlink View Post
    If there are only 9 numbers, what happens when they exceed this amount of residents? 999,999,999? Do they recycle them?

_ _ _ - _ _ -_ _ _ _?
    They don't ever recycle numbers.
    On average there are 5.6 million numbers given out per year and based on that pace we will run out in 75 yrs.
    There are 127 million numbers that the s.s. administration doesn't use; such as 000-00-0000, 666-123-1234 and etc.

I'm guessing the Lord will return by then and we won't have to worry about that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnrain View Post
    just curious~how do you never have to give that out?
    when you call certain companys that's what they ask for to verify who's calling by your last 4 digits.
    It's impossible not to verify without the last 4 digits.
    You either punch it into the automated phone system or give it to the person on the phone. Either way it's going to get verified.

yes,exactly.
    That is why I was asking Littlesmom about what she said~

"That is the reason I do not give out the last 4 digits of my SS#"

I'd like never having to give it out.but it 's just not possible in todays world.
    Psalms 62:6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken

God is my protector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RosettaLuv View Post
    Well, when you think about it, there was always a flaw to the Social Security number system to begin with. Placing one's identity on a number isn't all that of a smart idea. A number can be easily copied and manipulated, while our DNA, the source of our physical identity at least, is more reliable, complex and can't be copied. It's sad how we identify our very beings through systems and databases as if computer files instead of on our person and spirit.
    even DNA is frabicatable... is that a word ?

Scientists: DNA Evidence Can Be Fabricated

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5248133.shtml