Thread: When was Hell created?

5stonewarrior Guest

Default When was Hell created?

Someone asked my wife when Hell was created and it left me scratching my head. Any ideas?

When, as in time frame?

Probably soon after the angels fell, it was created for them.

The scriptures don't specifically state.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Shadow Girl Guest

I guess just as the angels were falling God created it. One day we'll have the answers.

5stonewarrior Guest

sorry for ignoring my own posted question lol! I agree with you both. I know it's mentioned enough times that there can be no doubt as to its' existence. I was just caught off guard when asked the question because I had never really thought of it before. Do you believe it is possible for it to have been around since the beginning of all creation since God knows the beginning from the end? I tend to believe it was.

Have to realize that Hell is a different place than the Lake of Fire. Hell is a temporary place of waiting for judgment and Lake of Fire is the place of eternal punishment.

Some verses seem to indicate that the temporary waiting place of Hell is in the center of the earth. There are several verses that refer to people who are under the earth...

Phil. 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

And then there are seven verses in Revelation that refers to a 'bottomless pit'...

Rev. 9
    [1] And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
    [2] And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

The center of the earth would be a 'bottomless pit'.

Also Hell is referred to as a place of darkness...

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

The 'great white throne judgment' seems to take place somewhere outside of this universe, as it takes place somewhere that has no heaven or earth...

Rev. 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

And then Hell is mentioned as being cast into the Lake of Fire in the future...

Rev. 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.