Thread: Assemblies of God Seminary going Emergent?

Default Assemblies of God Seminary going Emergent?

Assemblies of God Theological Seminary and Professor Earl Creps Promote Contemplative Spirituality

Assemblies of God Theological Seminary appears to be heading towards Emerging and Contemplative Spirituality. One example of this is Professor Earl Creps' syllabus, which include materials from Henri Nouwen, Brian McLaren, Ken Blanchard, Dan Kimball, Erwin McManus, Sally Morgenthaler, Leonard Sweet.

*Dr. Creps Blog

*The Leadership Network (the Creators of the Emerging Church) Interview with Earl Creps

Assemblies of God: Committed to Spiritual Formation, Contemplative and Emerging

Earl Creps, director of the Doctor of Ministry program and associate professor at AOGTS, is a heavy proponent of both contemplative and emerging. In his course syllabi over the last five years, Creps has classes with titles such as "Leading the Emerging Church" and "Models of Ministry in the Emerging Church." Syllabus reading materials include those from Henri Nouwen, Brian McLaren, Ken Blanchard, Dan Kimball, Erwin McManus, Sally Morgenthaler, Leonard Sweet. A visit to Creps' "Spiritual Adventures" blog gives a hearty helping of emergent discussion. In one blog, Creps tries to show how there might be a union between Pentecostalism and the emerging church, saying the relationship is "gaining some traction." While Creps ends that discussion with "I am painfully orthodox doctrinally," resources he offers throughout his blogs and websites would paint another picture. Under Apologetics Resources, Creps recommends Leonard Sweet's book, Quantum Spirituality. Listen to Sweet, as he describes the New Light in his book: "I have followed those 'New Light leaders' ... [S]ome of those who led [me] into new light are: ... Matthew Fox, Richard Mouw, Rowan Williams." Others that Leonard Sweet thanks include: Morton Kelsey, M. Scott Peck, Walter Bruggemann, Ken Wilber, Thomas Berry and many other New Age sympathizers. And then:

[INDENT]The first of these five untheorized observations is that New Light embodiment means to be "in connection" and 'in-formation' with other Christians. Deeper feeling and higher relating go together. The church is fundamentally one being, one person, a comm-union whose cells are connected to one another within the information network called the Christ consciousness." —Quantum Spirituality, P. 122[INDENT]

He goes on:

Energy-fire experiences take us into ourselves only that we might reach outside of ourselves. Metanoia is a de-centering experience of connected-ness and community. It is not an exercise in reciting what Jesus has done for me lately. Energy-fire ecstasy, more a buzz than a binge, takes us out of ourselves, literally. That is the meaning of the word 'ecstatic.'Quantum Spirituality, P. 93

This ecstasy Sweet speaks refers to the New Age ecstasy that occurs in an altered state of consciousness. (See more research on Sweet.) Sweet has written an endorsement for Creps new book, Off-Road Disciplines. With Creps influence at AOGTS and his admiration for Leonard Sweet, it looks like Sweet will play a role in the future of many Assemblies of God students. Read More of this article.

Assemblies of God Theological Seminary Supports Dr. Earl Creps by Making Available His 1700 Resources on the Emerging Church

Endorsements on the AGTS website for these
    resources include:

"Assemblies of God professor Earl Creps, a man for whom many in the emerging church movement give thanks daily."—Marcia Ford

"I have instructed my web people to link to your marvelous resource. There is truly nothing out there like it. I can't thank you enough." —Leonard Sweet

RECOMMENDED AUTHORS BY AGTS and Dr. Earl Creps:

Dallas Willard
    Leonard Sweet
    Richard Foster
    Eugene Peterson and more...

Earl Creps and the Emerging Church

Emerging Leaders Forum
    November 18, 2005 - 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
    "Earl Creps will share on the subject of "Ministry in a Postmodern Culture" with this group of Emerging Leaders."

His Own Words

"Being on the road and the internet a lot has connected me with ... friends like Len Sweet, and numerous Districts of the Assemblies of God, along with other parachurch organizations like Youth Specialties ..."

His Required Reading to Students

Smith, Chuck, Jr. The End of the World As We Know It: Clear Direction for Bold and Innovative Ministry in a Postmodern World. Waterbrook, 2001. (272 pages)

McLaren, Brian. A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey. John Wiley & Sons, 2001. (192 pages)

Sweet, Leonard. Postmodern Pilgrims: First Century Passion for the 21st Century Church. Broadman & Holman, 2000. (224 pages)

See more required reading by Dr. Earl Creps

Earl Creps Upcoming Book on Spiritual Formation

Article and links available here: http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/aogcreps.htm

His Bride Guest

I can't find anything in the article that ISN'T Emergent, iSong!

Lots of apostates! AoG, beware!

I do believe that we need to be cautious as to what is being taught and preached in our churches these last days. I'm an A/G pastor and I'm glad to say it's NOT in my church. However, we must remember one thing. The enemy will stop at nothing to allow Contemplative Spirituality, prosperity talk, gossip, slander and every other tool in his toolbox to creep into the church and destroy it.

Too many people who claim to be “Christians” will sit in a service and listen to what the pastor is speaking and never take the time to read or study God’s word for themselves. Then there are those who get offended when a preacher calls sin what it is, “SIN” and therefore are offended at the pastor and will leave for a church that will tell them what they want to hear.
    2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

I believe that as “Christ followers”, we MUST seek God for all He’s worth, read God’s word, and ask the Holy Spirit to teach us as we read His word and seek Him. It makes me sick to see Satan do what he’s doing. Not just in the A/G churches but in every one he can get into.

However, I believe that we are living in the last days, so let us all be on guard against the enemies attack.

Dear Lord, Please some soon!
    See you on the Battlefield,

My college boyfriend went to the AG theological seminary and became an AG pastor, now missionary. Several of our friends went there also. This is like a spiritual 9/11 to me...horrific to see some of our *towers* falling to the ground.

I see a split coming within the AG.

Quote Originally Posted by iSong6:3 View Post
    My college boyfriend went to the AG theological seminary and became an AG pastor, now missionary. Several of our friends went there also. This is like a spiritual 9/11 to me...horrific to see some of our *towers* falling to the ground.

I see a split coming within the AG.

I too have friends from the A/G schools and many pastor friends. Sad days.
    See you on the Battlefield,

I suppose this is no huge surprise. The enemies of absolutes discovered long ago if you indoctrinate the next generation, you will control the future direction of things. Look no further than universities. There is no larger example of institutionalized leftist thought that that mess.

It stands to reason that the spiritually wayward types would look to get the next generation before they form their views.

This is so evil!

Joyb0218 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcalvert View Post
    I do believe that we need to be cautious as to what is being taught and preached in our churches these last days. I'm an A/G pastor and I'm glad to say it's NOT in my church. However, we must remember one thing. The enemy will stop at nothing to allow Contemplative Spirituality, prosperity talk, gossip, slander and every other tool in his toolbox to creep into the church and destroy it.

Too many people who claim to be “Christians” will sit in a service and listen to what the pastor is speaking and never take the time to read or study God’s word for themselves. Then there are those who get offended when a preacher calls sin what it is, “SIN” and therefore are offended at the pastor and will leave for a church that will tell them what they want to hear.
    2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

I believe that as “Christ followers”, we MUST seek God for all He’s worth, read God’s word, and ask the Holy Spirit to teach us as we read His word and seek Him. It makes me sick to see Satan do what he’s doing. Not just in the A/G churches but in every one he can get into.

However, I believe that we are living in the last days, so let us all be on guard against the enemies attack.

Dear Lord, Please some soon!

Great post.

Keep up the good work in your church dear brother...

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Default Assemblies of God to Open Leadership to Women

Assemblies of God to Open Leadership to Women
    Aug 03 by Sam Guzman

The General Counsel of the Assemblies of God is holding an historic meeting this week that is expected to have delegates approve opening up leadership roles to women. More details here.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...ay-Be-Historic

http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/uncat...rship-to-women
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

faithandgrace Guest

Beth Grant was already in a leadership position - she's a "reverend". Assemblies of God has long accepted women pastors. That's why I don't understand why AoG is just now receiving widespread criticism.

Default Evolutionary Assemblies of God?

Those were the days.

Back in 1977, the Assemblies of God position on creation “thus rule[d] out the evolutionary philosophy which states that all forms of life have come into being by gradual, progressive evolution carried on by resident forces. It also rule[d] out any evolutionary origin for the human race, since no theory of evolution, including theistic evolution, can explain the origin of the male before the female, nor can it explain how a man could evolve into a woman.” [1] (Bold mine)

According to Answers In Genesis President Ken Ham, “But fast forward to 2010 and see what’s changed. A new ‘Doctrine of Creation’ was adopted by that same denomination’s governing body, the ‘general presbytery’ last August.” [2] Ken Ham then goes on to quote what is now the Assemblies of God official position:

“The advance of scientific research, particularly in the last few centuries, has raised many questions about the interpretation of the Genesis accounts of creation. In attempting to reconcile the Bible and the theories and conclusions of contemporary scientists, it should be remembered that the creation accounts do not give precise details as to how God went about His creative activity. Nor do these accounts provide us with complete chronologies that enable us to date with precision the time of the various stages of creation. Similarly, the findings of science are constantly expanding; the accepted theories of one generation are often revised in the next. (Bold mine)

As a result, equally devout Christian believers have formed very different opinions about the age of the earth, the age of humankind, and the ways in which God went about the creative processes. Given the limited information in Scripture, it does not seem wise to be overtly dogmatic about any particular creation theory.” [3] (Bold mine)

This is where it all started, where the Body of Christ first became weak. We changed from faith in the Word of God to faith in the theory of Darwin. We have been paying for it ever since. The August 2010 Assemblies of God position paper also states, “We urge all sincere and conscientious believers to adhere to what the Bible plainly teaches and to avoid divisiveness over debatable theories of creation.” [4] (Bold mine)

As Ken Ham and others have noted, when one rejects the literal Six Days account of creation, the door has been opened to doubt–or reject–anything or everything else that is in the Bible. Ham expresses gratitude to the AG members who “cringe” at this new AG position, and who support Answers In Genesis. Ham’s sadness is plain throughout the article. He notes, “The message from this denomination is essentially: because of ‘the theories and conclusions of contemporary scientists’ regarding origins, then Christians must change their interpretation of the Bible in Genesis!” [5]

Endnotes:

1. ‘The Doctrine of Creation,’ copyrighted by the General Council of the Assemblies of God; adopted by the Assemblies of God Presbytery, August 15-17, 1977
    2. Ken Ham, answersupdate volume 17, issue 10, Calling for Reformation (Answers in Genesis monthly newsletter)
    3. August 9-11, 2010; http://ag.org/top/beliefs/Position_P...f_Creation.pdf
    4. Ibid.
    5. Ken Ham, answersupdate volume 17, issue 10, Calling for Reformation (Answers In Genesis monthly newsletter)

(Ken Ham’s article, Calling for Reformation, does not appear to be on the Answers In Genesis website as yet.)

What AOG said.
    The August 2010 Assemblies of God position paper also states, “We urge all sincere and conscientious believers to adhere to what the Bible plainly teaches and to avoid divisiveness over debatable theories of creation.”
    What Ken Ham says they said.
    Ham’s sadness is plain throughout the article. He notes, “The message from this denomination is essentially: because of ‘the theories and conclusions of contemporary scientists’ regarding origins, then Christians must change their interpretation of the Bible in Genesis!”
    My question for Mr. Ham is... How is 'avoid divisiveness' equivalent to 'must change their interpretation'?
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

IMO -I think Ken's statement is an opinion based on all of what was said, not just that one line.

I'll stick with "what the Bible plainly teaches";

6 days and; God doesn't lie.

If we can agree on that, The battle is non-existant.

If we do not agree, then the debate will go on and on - what God said vs what God did not say.

Perhaps Ken Ham's real concern is: Should we reconcile the Bible to theories, OR do we need to reject theories that do not reconcile to the Bible?
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Default Bible not Big Bang

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    What AOG said.

What Ken Ham says they said.

My question for Mr. Ham is... How is 'avoid divisiveness' equivalent to 'must change their interpretation'?
    This is huge with Assemblies of God--the denomination has given itself wiggle-room in the origin of man. This is a far cry from its original Biblical position.

Here is a link I found where Ham speaks on the Assemblies of God error.

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/bl...-denomination/

Default What do Assemblies of God churches believe?

I was invited to go to an Assemblies of God church but I don't know anything about them. Are there any red flags or false teachings in this denomination?

Thanks in advance.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I was invited to go to an Assemblies of God church but I don't know anything about them. Are there any red flags or false teachings in this denomination?

Thanks in advance.
    https://www.gotquestions.org/Assemblies-of-God.html

Question: "What is the Assemblies of God Church, and what do they believe?"

Answer:
    The Assemblies of God is one of the largest Pentecostal denominations, with 57 million adherents worldwide. It was organized in 1914 to promote unity and doctrinal stability among groups that had been influenced by the Pentecostal revivals of the early 1900s, revivals which were the result of a desire to see an increase in God's power in churches and individuals. Many people spent long hours in prayer, seeking a fresh infusion of the Spirit. Following the teachings of Charles Parham, these people were expecting speaking in tongues as an evidence of the Holy Spirit's baptism. The first popularly acknowledged revival was at Azusa Street in Los Angeles, 1906-1909. From that movement, several churches were formed, and in April 1914, meetings were held in Hot Springs, Arkansas, which led to the formation of the Assemblies of God. Eudorus Bell, formerly a Southern Baptist preacher, was appointed as the first chairman of the denomination.

The core doctrines of the Assemblies of God are salvation by repentance and faith, Holy Spirit baptism as evidenced by speaking in tongues, divine healing as an expected part of salvation, and the imminent Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Like many other Pentecostal churches, their doctrine of salvation follows the teachings of Jacob Arminius (1560-1609) in that believers can fall from grace as a result of persistent, unrepentant sin. The need for personal repentance and faith in Jesus' substitutionary death for sin is the cornerstone of salvation (Luke 24:46-47). Regarding the baptism of the Spirit, the official emphasis of the church is on the need for power from on high to witness, not on an experience or bubbly feelings. Even though this is the official statement of the church, it is easily observed that some Assemblies of God preachers have given an inordinate focus on the ecstatic experiences like being slain in the Spirit and “holy laughter”. On the doctrine of divine healing, again there is a discrepancy between the official position and that of some teachers. The Assemblies of God website states that the same faith that saves also heals and that preachers don't heal – only God does. Believers are called to pray and leave the outcome to God. Yet some of the more infamous faith healers who have been ordained in the Assemblies of God portray themselves as special avenues of God's healing.

The emphasis of the Assemblies of God churches has always been evangelism and missions, and faith healing crusades have often been a key element of that work. While many people have evidently been brought to saving faith through the faithful work of Assemblies of God churches, there have also been a significant number of problems associated with their ministries. Benny Hinn, Morris Cerullo, Jim Bakker, and Jimmy Swaggart all received their ministry credentials through the Assemblies of God and have been repeatedly involved in scandals. The Toronto blessing (laughing revival) and Brownsville (Pensacola) Revival were both led by Assemblies of God churches and have led to a wide range of biblically questionable practices. Even though revival and healing campaigns have been a hallmark of Assemblies of God ministries for years, there is little evidence to show that God was at work in those campaigns. In the cities where many thousands supposedly came to Christ, there has been no noticeable decrease in crime or divorce, and even though hundreds have claimed healing, there are no documented cases of visibly evident healing (like restored limbs or reversed diseases).

There are many deeply committed believers within the Assemblies of God, and we ought to love them as brothers and sisters in Christ. Within that fellowship are also many people who have been confused by the emphasis on healing and signs and the false doctrines taught by a few noteworthy teachers. Any time we give preeminence to emotional experience over the clear teaching of the Word, we open the door to potentially harmful doctrines. First Thessalonians 5:21commands us to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good.” As believers, we ought to carefully examine every teaching and practice, compare it to the Word of God, and hold on to only those things which are upright by that standard.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

We went to an Assemblies of God church for two years when we were first married. I was young and very intrigued by the things that went on there like lots of people speaking in tongues, laying hands on people and watching them fall over and twitch, receiving 'words of knowledge' from people who stood up in the middle of worship, and countless other things. The only church I'd attended as a child was my grandparents Baptist Church, and of course none of that went on there.
    There was also a lot of special guests that came who had an 'anointing'...much like Benny Hinn.

I'm sure the people there genuinely loved God but were more enamored with the feelings they had and the experiences rather than digging in to the Word. I will say though that I remember the prayer meetings went on for hours and hours...and I haven't seen any other church take the time to pray like that.

Of course each church is different and unique. I'll pray for God to give you wisdom and discernment so you'll know whether or not you should go there. Maybe He'll have you go there for a season? Let us know what you decide and how it goes!