Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a pill keep you from sinning?

Question Can a pill keep you from sinning?

This may be a bit of a hot topic.... But Ive just been pondering on this lately....

After the birth of my DD back in December, I went through some HORRIBLE post partum depression. I just couldnt get a grip on things. There were some days I seriously wanted to give her up for adoption and/or throw her out the window. It was really bad, DH and I fought all the time and I would just cry and obsess over the STUPIDEST things (like DDs napping schedule... ugh! lol).

Anyways, after going through that for 4 months my dr put me on an antidepressant and I have been on it for about 4 months now. Ever since taking it I have been sooo much more calm and just more HAPPY than I have probably ever been in my life. I am more outgoing and want to be out an about more than I have ever. I have tried to wean myself off of it, but the same symptoms keep coming back.

Is it wrong to take antidepressants???? Is it really a sin problem or is it a hormonal/physical problem??? Can a pill PREVENT you from sinning??

Sometimes I feel guilty taking it, thinking that Im not a good enough Christian or not "strong" enough, KWIM?

Just wondering...

Hilary, mommy to Charlotte (12/08) and Clara (11/10)

If you are "wrong" than I am wrong for taking Elavil for Atypical Face Pain.

For years, I was in agony with a pain radiating from my upper right jaw that would trigger migraine headaches . . . Praise God for an enlightened GP and DDS (my GP sent me to my DDS to make sure I didn't have an abscess in my sinus due to a tooth . . . my DDS told me I had a "smart" GP as he had seen people who have had multiple teeth pulled thinking that this would make the pain "go away.")

The best "pain reliever" for this syndrome is a tricyclic antidepressant - which has been shown to alleviate pain better than depression.

I believe God has given humans knowledge, regarding medications, to help alleviate the genetic disaster that has occurred since sin entered the world. Would you not take an antibiotic for an infection? Would you not take insulin if your pancreas failed? Would you not wear contacts or glasses if your eyesite failed?
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

Psalms 2:2-4a

Quote Originally Posted by hilhill View Post
    This may be a bit of a hot topic.... But Ive just been pondering on this lately....

After the birth of my DD back in December, I went through some HORRIBLE post partum depression. I just couldnt get a grip on things. There were some days I seriously wanted to give her up for adoption and/or throw her out the window. It was really bad, DH and I fought all the time and I would just cry and obsess over the STUPIDEST things (like DDs napping schedule... ugh! lol).

Anyways, after going through that for 4 months my dr put me on an antidepressant and I have been on it for about 4 months now. Ever since taking it I have been sooo much more calm and just more HAPPY than I have probably ever been in my life. I am more outgoing and want to be out an about more than I have ever. I have tried to wean myself off of it, but the same symptoms keep coming back.

Is it wrong to take antidepressants???? Is it really a sin problem or is it a hormonal/physical problem??? Can a pill PREVENT you from sinning??

Sometimes I feel guilty taking it, thinking that Im not a good enough Christian or not "strong" enough, KWIM?

Just wondering...
    God will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear. whether you are taking pill(s) or not. to sin is a result of what we have chosen to do. we all have done so. Sin is rebelling against Gods moral law. All have done it and some still do, but God is patient and forgiving among other things.
    When you have a question ... like is this a problem or such, Go to God with it, your question. Do not leave God out of the equation(S) you have. that is how we are decieved when we leave God out. Deuteronomy 6:5 Leviticus 19:18 - 1Corinthians 13:4-7 describes an unfailing love given to us by God. Joshua 9 has a story where deception is allowed by God when they leave the LOVE of God out of there life and they showed love toward others, instead.
    Gods love can penatrate anything, even medication. Some put the medicines above God, in their minds.
    God wants us to totally accept our fortunes in life or the destinies we have in life. HE CONTROLS ALL. Just be content with what He has given you and don't ever leave God out.
    Submit to God James 4:7 ...then He will lead you to resist evil.

LookingUplinda Guest

I have fought this battle too, so has my sister, she was scared to go off her meds, but we were looking for a safer alternative, we weaned off the prescriptive, and switched over to GABA, (look it up on the internet)my sister said she would be on an anti-depressant for life, but we are doing well on the natural alternative, GABA(it is inexpensive too!)

Your daughter is adorable by the way. Beautiful eyes!

Walk by faith. keep trusting and keep seeking Jesus. Make Him your focus and he will work out all the details.

Smile When you're depressed, serotonin levels may be too low

Hilhill wrote:
    Sometimes I feel guilty taking it, thinking that Im not a good enough Christian or not "strong" enough
    I wouldn't think twice about using a medication--as prescribed--which blesses you! As an RN and as someone who has--in the past--been treated for major depression with such meds, I believe God has given the wisdom to our physicians and researchers to develop ways of putting our bodies back into balance.
    It is so much easier to be in joyful obedience to our Lord when your body cooperates with you---because depressive symptoms are minimized by needed medication.

There are some who are also benefitted by herbal remedies (St John's Wort comes to mind) and that's great--but don't feel our Lord can't use prescription meds to help you!

Here's a summary of serotonin action in the body and use that might help--
    http://www.angelfire.com/hi/TheSeer/seratonin.html

Certain aminos cause you to have better feeling of well being. Serotonin is a chemical that helps maintain a "happy feeling," and seems to help keep our moods under control by helping with sleep, calming anxiety, and relieving depression. The brain also makes Dopamine, which makes people more talkative and excitable. It affects brain processes that control movement, emotional response, and ability to experience pleasure and pain. All of these chemicals are natural chemicals that affect our bodily processes.

...Low Serotonin levels are believed to be the reason for many cases of mild to moderate depression which can lead to symptoms like anxiety, apathy, fear, feelings of worthlessness, insomnia and fatigue.
    God bless you! (and little Charlotte is PRECIOUS! )

Jan
    Supper's almost ready--'Going Home!

Goodness no, I would not call it a sin! Sometimes people get physical disease, and that is not a sin. Emotional illness is just part of the human condition, and it could be that the antidepressant is God's way of answering your prayer. taking a medicine under a doctor's supervision is not a sin, not in my book. Not taking it, and letting your joy and peace and health is too high a cost.

carolina_guy Guest

i struggle with anxiety/panic and have a xanex prescription. i use it as needed and it brings me much relief when i need it immediately. i know some triggers, but not all, and i'm not always able to get through it on my own. don't sweat it if you need this to help you, it's not a sin at all!

I'm pretty seriously mentally ill and I take medications that are good enough to make me seem normal. If I didn't take them i'd probably be dead or in jail. It is not a sin to take medications that you need to keep you healthy. Id say you are lucky that the anti depressant seems to help you so much.

In all due fairness, I don't think that's the right question..... it almost assumes that your "sinning" is due only to the human condition that we ALL suffer from, and not mental illness, which you are also struggling with. The pill (antidepressant) just helps to restore your chemical balance in the brain, that's all. In fact, if you arent clinically depressed, the pills won't do anything (except a placebo effect in some people perhaps).

Sis, you ARE a "good enough Christian", you are just as strong as the rest of us, when it comes to resisting sin under mentally healthy conditions. But you happen to struggle with an illness (which I am all too familiar with, you are in good company here) that was triggered by a hormonal imbalance after the birth of your baby. And being a "stong" or "good enough" Christian won't shield you from the effects of this illness, any more than it will shield you from the effects of the common cold. Don't feel guilty.... take the medicine which is prescribed to you, and do some talk therapy (if prescribed), if possible, with a Christian therapist. Studies have shown that people with depression recover faster if they do the combination of psychotherapy and meds. Even a few sessions with your Pastor might help, if you feel comfortable with that - especially with spiritual issues like this one, that a cropping up because of the depression.

God bless you... your baby is gorgeous, just like you. Be patient, you WILL recover and be feeling well again, but it may take time. Don't beat yourself up, and don't feel guilty for being sick. This could happen to anyone.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

cocopea9052 Guest

hilhill, , I'm glad you are doing better now. Even after all these years PPD is still as you say, a bit of a hot topic, especially in revealing how it made one feel. Thank you for your honesty in sharing something so personal as we stare at that gorgeous baby of yours!

I have three relatable stories:

*One of my sister's had PPD so severe she stopped talking for about 2 days and her DH checked her into a clinic. She came home a few days later and never did continue the meds they gave her and some 14 years later, she is fine. It was her first child and she said what triggered her attack was when DH was about to leave for work one morning and she just became very fearful. And oddly enough, her 2nd child was born 3 years after that with Down's Syndrome and she did not suffer PPD even though she was dealing with the shock of that.

**Then I had 2 aunts (they were twins), My grandma had them late in life. They had a lot of mental problems and they were never properly diagnosed or given meds. until way late in life. Too late.. one died in her mid 40's from treatable cancer but her mental illness made it impossible for her to tell anyone she was physically ill. And the other, went missing for years, ended up in a home, then just got up and walked away from it after being there for over 5 years. That was about 3 years ago and we don't know where she is. Now she was on medication, but she had never understood the importance of taking it daily. They both were diagnosed with vary degrees of Paranoid Schizophrenia, depression, anti-social behavior. Had they been diagnosed early and use to a regimen of taking meds and seeing the doctor, they may have done much better.

***And lastly, me--I was mugged & assaulted back when I lived in Detroit. I missed a few days of work and went back. I felt fine. I thought I was okay. Skip to a year later.....I got up, got dressed for work, opened my front door and could not walk out of it. I just could not do it. I did not know what was wrong with me. My son was about 4 then. I called my boss and told her I could not leave the house. So for the next month or so, I took off work, went and saw a couple of Therapists, Psychiatrists, sat in on a few group meetings for victims of crimes-- and was prescribed several different types of meds. I don't recall them all, but one was Paxil (?).

Well, something I was taking was making my head feel warm. Like my brain was getting too hot. Then something else made me jittery, then I could not sleep, then they gave me something to sleep. But I did not want to not hear my son if he woke up. Everything from weight loss to zombie like behavior. I barely could function and I was alone with just my son. Anyway, I told my Mom who lived out here then, all that they had gave me-- and at the time she was a Respiratory Therapist but had access to look up meds. She told me to toss all of it in the toilet. I did. Within a day or two I felt fine. I went back to work and never took AD again. However, I did have other times in my life where I was dealt a major crisis, got through it, but then some months or years later-- seem to have symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress, and while it never shut me down, I do believe had I not had such a bad experience with AD, I might have sought out treatment and at least had my symptoms alleviated. Today however, I really do just rely on prayer and the power of the Lord to heal me. And I can say, also that works.

I am very thankful for all those these type of meds help. Seek the Lord, seek treatment and follow-up with both

hilhill, there is good medicine out there for neurological issues. If something prescribed for you is working then it is a good thing. Sometimes it is best to get along with the least amount of medicine possible. The medicine won't keep you from sinning, as someone has suggested but it may make it easier for you to make good choices. May our Lord bless you!
    Tall Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by hilhill View Post

Just wondering...
    no, it is not wrong
    but on the other hand..........

you can still sin after the pill

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

yeah, tom cruise would be disappointed in you.... so that means its probably the right thing to do!

good medicine, properly applied is an answer to prayer.

i also had ppd (i could have written your opening post), but was not in a position to be treated for it, so i suffered greatly. thank God i don't have it this time around.

take your meds, keep praying and i'll keep praying for you too. your daughter is beautiful, please let yourself enjoy this time with her.

Where the waving wheat, sure smells sweet!

I had ppd 19 years ago, didn't seek help until 7 years later. The most miserable time of my life. Have now been on meds ever since and am thankful God gave me the sense to seek help. Keep taking your meds if they make you feel better and don't ever go off cold turkey.... Another bad lesson I have learned in my life.... Blessings to you!

lyngraphics Guest

Please feel blessed that you found the right meds for you! Many people will go through trial after trial before they find the correct medication to straighten then out!

rere4jc Guest

I to am on AD for severe depression. I have been on Paxil for 5 or 6 yrs. I have tried to wean off and can't. My meds. are no longer helping me I am worse now than ever. I dont work and haven't for 5 yrs. because of Fibromyalgia,arthritis and copd. The AD has helped with my Fibromyalgia but I am still depressed and have no desire to interact in any activities with my family. I dont have any friends axcept my family at church I just smile shake hands, I dont try to get close to anyone so I spend alot of time alone. I just dont have the energy to put into relationships. They worked at first but now they just help with the pain. I have started back seeing my Therapist and I am going to try to follow thru so maybe I can find another AD that will help. But in the back of my mind I am always afraid of the weaning process. I am glad to see that you are doing better! God Bless you and your family!

Quote Originally Posted by rere4jc View Post
    I have started back seeing my Therapist and I am going to try to follow thru so maybe I can find another AD that will help. But in the back of my mind I am always afraid of the weaning process.
    I hope and pray that you're able to be matched with medication that will improve your condition
    Tall Timbers

jeaucamom Guest

It is no more a sin to take AD than it is to take blood pressure medicine, diabetes medicine, thyroid medicine etc.... all these patients are dependent on them physically for life. It is not a lack of trust in the healing power of G-d, it is using His G-d given knowledge appropriately. Where do you think all these medications originally derived from? From plants and substances etc that G-d made.

When I was going through my cancer treatments, I asked this very same question to my pastor about my treatment. He showed me the other side of the coin.... we can not TEST G-d by saying, I will not accept treatment because You MUST heal me divinely. Right now, He is choosing to heal you medicinely.

As a side note... it is also no different than putting a broken bone in a cast and the Lord knits it back together from the inside. Please continue your meds!

Musclecar1975 Guest

I don't think you're wrong at all for taking anti-depressants. Sometimes, there are hormonal inbalances that require medication to remedy the problem.

I have suffered from panic attacks for years, so much so that from time to time I have had to take Prozac to remedy the problem. If the anti-depressants are making those horrible symptoms go away, I would stay on it. Being depressed is a horrible thing to deal with (I've dealt with severe depression myself.)

As for the anti-depressants keeping you from sinning? Well you haven't sinned before going on them, and it is not a sin to be depressed.

Please don't feel guilty for taking medication to help yourself. Remember, God does heal us through other means, i.e. doctors and medication, besides divine healing. Taking medication does not make you less of a Christian or less spiritual.