Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One month to Live? by Kerry Shook

Been sitting here quite awhile contemplating what to say in my follow-up email. How does one go about approaching this and linking to this site (all of which I have no problem with) but without sounding "self-righteous".

I'm not usually at a loss for words.

Terribly frustrated.

meshee
    "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:1-2 NKJV

The word for "sun" in HEBREW is שמש/she-MESH!

Well my husband suggested writing back and leaving it sort of open ended. If he responds and is curious to know our concerns, I will gladly tell him, if he doesn't, well then so be it.

Pastor Ethridge,

Thank you for your kind words, and for the follow-up. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
    My family and I enjoyed visiting on Sunday. We found everyone very warm, friendly, and welcoming.
    The worship was good, and the sermon was.... thought provoking.

After much careful thought, we are just not sure if this is the right place for us. As I had stated before, we know
    that no church is perfect, just as we aren't, but several concerns did come up for me and my husband as we discussed
    our visit.

Thank you again for inviting and welcoming us so lovingly on Sunday.

Most sincerely,

Michelle
    "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:1-2 NKJV

Well, you can throw in there what you definitely want to see in a local congregation, which would give him his answer in a roundabout way.

We want a fellowship where:

The scripture, and only the scripture, is gone through, verse by verse, chapter by chapter, book by book.
    Expounded upon by a man of God who knows the scriptures, gleaning insight into the mind of Christ and the meat of the word, e.g. Christ throughout the whole of scripture.

Or whatever it is you are looking for. I would find a study revolving around a mans book as highly inappropriate and somewhat offensive, and the book doesn't even need to be 'bad' either.

Since you are already engaging with him in conversation, he needs to know why that sort of thing is not the business of a pastor. He has marching orders to feed his flock, and the only acceptable food is scripture. A man of God, armed with scripture and the Spirit, can give weekly sermons that would make that book look silly.

I would mention something along these lines. Nothing might change immediately for you, but someone else may benefit later on after the pastor has some time to ponder these things and listen to the Spirit telling him he doesn't need any of that.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    Well, you can throw in there what you definitely want to see in a local congregation, which would give him his answer in a roundabout way.

We want a fellowship where:

The scripture, and only the scripture, is gone through, verse by verse, chapter by chapter, book by book.
    Expounded upon by a man of God who knows the scriptures, gleaning insight into the mind of Christ and the meat of the word, e.g. Christ throughout the whole of scripture.

Or whatever it is you are looking for. I would find a study revolving around a mans book as highly inappropriate and somewhat offensive, and the book doesn't even need to be 'bad' either.

Since you are already engaging with him in conversation, he needs to know why that sort of thing is not the business of a pastor. He has marching orders to feed his flock, and the only acceptable food is scripture. A man of God, armed with scripture and the Spirit, can give weekly sermons that would make that book look silly.

I would mention something along these lines. Nothing might change immediately for you, but someone else may benefit later on after the pastor has some time to ponder these things and listen to the Spirit telling him he doesn't need any of that.
    Excellent!!
    There is One King, and He is not this guy.

Hi, Meshee. It's really hard to find a church today doing what should be done when we come together.

We live in Houston where you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting some sort of church. We attended the church that Kerry Shook's brother started for three years before leaving a little over two years ago and were there when this book was released, promoted and made the rounds in our small groups. I actually was in a small group with Kerry's sister Mona, who ran the children's ministry and another woman who ran the ministry with her. The time didn't work for me, but I did read the book. Sadly, I gave it to a friend when I was done with it. In the 2+ years since we have left, I have apologized numerous times for things like this to friends and told them that I was immature in my walk and had no idea that I had promoted a false teacher and to please forgive me. There are believers within the church, and some have come out seeking the Lord and realizing, as we did, that He isn't welcome there. Most don't. The music is too good and they get a big dose of man-made wisdom. They have no real interest in the Lord or His Word or His plans or His ways.

Why are these books making rounds? Money, of course, in our case for sure, and in many others, it's still about money and itching ears---if they can appeal to your flesh, they can get into your wallet and they can grow. Everything about church bodies that are doing this is about growing and not about Jesus Christ, but most either never figure this out because they are not truly seeking the Lord, or it takes time for the Lord to reach their hearts and minds, and that is usually only done if they are actually praying and reading His Word on their own, like we were. His Word and what was going on within the walls of the congregation we were in were very dissimilar, and it was His Word that convinced us of this AND what should be happening when we convenened corporately. I am thankful for the three years we spent in that church that I might have some understanding of what Jesus warns about in the Olivet Discourse (Mat 24-25, Mk 13, Luke 21) and what Paul talks so extensively about to Timothy, and what the Laodicean church looks like and for all the help I received here when we knew that there was a huge problem there, as we saw scripture being twisted, watered down, diminished, meaning changed, chopped up, worldliness.......it's a long story, and we were kind and prayerful when we made our very hasty exit when we figured it out, but I can promise you without even stepping foot into the building and hearing that it's not going to get better there if that is what is happening. There is no clear presentation of the Gospel in the book, and I am not sure I remember much, if anything about Jesus Christ either. The book is not about God's will for your life. It's about your own! When you belong to Jesus Christ, you have been bought and paid for in His blood and your life is in Him and His in you. You don't have a will of your own---you crucify it along with your flesh and deny yourself and offer yourself as a living sacrifice to Him as the only response for what He has done for you. And isn't that the problem in these churches? You won't hear any of that.....it's His Word and it offends the flesh and a carnal mind.

Run from it. Worship, praise and study His Word as a family, invite others who desire to do the same, and ask the Spirit to teach you about Jesus if you are unable to find a church body that is handling the Word correctly. Pray for the Lord to help you both find a local body but also to help you grow in His Word regardless of circumstances.

God bless you. Nicole

sometimes I wonder if these people who teach out of books and not the Bible are actually sure of their calling....

I you have confidence that God has called you to preach and feed the flock, don't you have confidence that His Word is what you need? I would think the Holy Spirit would lead you into that....
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Thank you all for your insightful input. I did receive a reply back this morning, and he is welcoming my constructive criticism! Please pray for me to find the right words to say, and also pray for him to accept it in a loving manner!!

meshee