Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 130

Thread: Soul Sleep Question (does the soul sleep or not while waiting for the Rapture)

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    http://www.gotquestions.org/soul-spirit.html

    Question: "What is the difference between the soul and spirit of man?"

    Answer:



    The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial aspects that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word “spirit” refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but are we not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul's writing, the spiritual was pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity which gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word “spirit” is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24).

    The word “soul” can refer to both the immaterial and material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most basic sense, the word “soul” means “life.” However, beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of the soul in many contexts. One of these is humanity’s eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Humanity is naturally evil, and our souls are tainted as a result. The life principle of the soul is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word “soul” is used, it can refer to the whole person, whether alive or in the afterlife.

    The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We can read in ....
    John 3:1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
    3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.
    4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
    5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
    9"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.
    10"You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11 I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

    We know in order to receive eternal life "ONE MUST BE BORN AGAIN"

    What about those who are not?Will they cease to exist if they died in a state of being spiritually
    dead?
    The soul of those who die lost will not cease to exist and Jesus tells us the state that the lost soul will be in upon death...
    Matthew 18:8 If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

    The SOUL will never cease to exist.The Saved will live in an eternity with the Lord and the Lost will live in an eternity of agony in the Lake Of Fire

    “Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

    The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.” (Revelation 20:11-14)
    Last edited by Steve53; June 29th, 2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added link (attribution to original site) and formal title of article
    John 14:16 -17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Rom 14:7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.
    Rom 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
    Rom 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.


    The Lord is the Lord of both the living and the dead. Therefore, if we are living in the presence of the Lord, when we die that does not change. We merely remain in His presence. The Bible speaks of eternal life as if we are already living in it - because we are.
    Think Heavenly
    Act Locally

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the world but not of it
    Posts
    14,427

    Default

    Charles H. Spurgeon
    June 29, 2010
    Morning Reading

    Them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him.
    —1 Thessalonians 4:14

    Let us not imagine that the soul sleeps in insensibility. "Today shalt thou be with me in paradise," is the whisper of Christ to every dying saint. They "sleep in Jesus," but their souls are before the throne of God, praising Him day and night in His temple, singing hallelujahs to Him who washed them from their sins in His blood. The body sleeps in its lonely bed of earth, beneath the coverlet of grass. But what is this sleep? The idea connected with sleep is "rest," and that is the thought which the Spirit of God would convey to us. Sleep makes each night a Sabbath for the day. Sleep shuts fast the door of the soul, and bids all intruders tarry for a while, that the life within may enter its summer garden of ease. The toil-worn believer quietly sleeps, as does the weary child when it slumbers on its mother's breast. Oh! happy they who die in the Lord; they rest from their labours, and their works do follow them. Their quiet repose shall never be broken until God shall rouse them to give them their full reward. Guarded by angel watchers, curtained by eternal mysteries, they sleep on, the heritors of glory, till the fulness of time shall bring the fulness of redemption. What an awaking shall be theirs! They were laid in their last resting place, weary and worn, but such they shall not rise. They went to their rest with the furrowed brow, and the wasted features, but they wake up in beauty and glory. The shrivelled seed, so destitute of form and comeliness, rises from the dust a beauteous flower. The winter of the grave gives way to the spring of redemption and the summer of glory. Blessed is death, since it, through the divine power, disrobes us of this work-day garment, to clothe us with the wedding garment of incorruption. Blessed are those who "sleep in Jesus."

  4. #84
    Amber Lynne Guest

    Default

    Anddra!

  5. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prairiedog View Post
    In addition to the other responses, another example of why soul sleep is unbiblical can be found in Christ's parable of LAzarus and the rich man.

    Neither Lazarus nor the rich man were unaware of their post-earthly life existence.

    Also, when Jesus promised the repentant thief on the cross that he would be with Him that day in Paradise.
    Jesus did not tell the thief that he would sleep in his grave until the Resurrection Unto Life.

    And Jesus most certainly did not sleep in His tomb prior to His Resurrection.
    It was not a parable. parables don't have specific persons names, also Jesus didn't claim it to be a parable. It is absolutely the way it was told prior to the death and resurrection of Christ.

    After Jesus was resurrected he took paradise with Him to Heaven. The dead unbeliever still goes to Hades (Sheol) to be in conscious torment until the day of Judgment.

    The believer goes immediately to be with our Lord in Paradise in Heaven.
    Eternal life is not a reward for effort. It is a gift to those who trust Jesus.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    290

    Default Stupid question, but I hope someone can answer

    My brother in law (former witness) asked me this on Easter. If I dont believe in soul sleep than where did Lazerus go when he died?

    I dont have my bible with me, and didnt look it up, but its bothering me that I didnt have a quick answer,

    Help!! thanks

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I saw saw another thread on this - but my questions should have been - How do I answer his question clearly

    thanks

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Hi sparky,

    Grabbed this from GotQuestions.org:

    Question: "What does the Bible say about soul sleep?"

    Answer: “Soul sleep” is a belief that after a person dies, his/her soul “sleeps” until the resurrection and final judgment. The concept of “soul sleep” is not biblical. When the Bible describes a person “sleeping” in relation to death (Luke 8:52; 1 Corinthians 15:6), it does not mean literal sleep. Sleeping is just a way to describe death because a dead body appears to be asleep. The moment we die, we face the judgment of God (Hebrews 9:27). For believers, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). For unbelievers, death means everlasting punishment in hell (Luke 16:22-23).

    Until the final resurrection, though, there is a temporary heaven—paradise (Luke 23:43; 2 Corinthians 12:4) and a temporary hell—Hades (Revelation 1:18; 20:13-14). As can be clearly seen in Luke 16:19-31, neither in paradise nor in Hades are people sleeping. It could be said, though, that a person’s body is “sleeping” while his soul is in paradise or Hades. At the resurrection, this body is “awakened” and transformed into the everlasting body a person will possess for eternity, whether in heaven or hell. Those who were in paradise will be sent to the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21:1). Those who were in Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people—based entirely on whether or not a person trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.

    Hope that helps!

    meshee
    "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God." Romans 5:1-2 NKJV

    The word for "sun" in HEBREW is שמש/she-MESH!

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meshee View Post
    Hi sparky,

    Grabbed this from GotQuestions.org:

    Question: "What does the Bible say about soul sleep?"

    Answer: “Soul sleep” is a belief that after a person dies, his/her soul “sleeps” until the resurrection and final judgment. The concept of “soul sleep” is not biblical. When the Bible describes a person “sleeping” in relation to death (Luke 8:52; 1 Corinthians 15:6), it does not mean literal sleep. Sleeping is just a way to describe death because a dead body appears to be asleep. The moment we die, we face the judgment of God (Hebrews 9:27). For believers, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). For unbelievers, death means everlasting punishment in hell (Luke 16:22-23).

    Until the final resurrection, though, there is a temporary heaven—paradise (Luke 23:43; 2 Corinthians 12:4) and a temporary hell—Hades (Revelation 1:18; 20:13-14). As can be clearly seen in Luke 16:19-31, neither in paradise nor in Hades are people sleeping. It could be said, though, that a person’s body is “sleeping” while his soul is in paradise or Hades. At the resurrection, this body is “awakened” and transformed into the everlasting body a person will possess for eternity, whether in heaven or hell. Those who were in paradise will be sent to the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21:1). Those who were in Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people—based entirely on whether or not a person trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.

    Hope that helps!

    meshee
    Thanks, that does help!!1 God bless

  10. #90

    Question What happens when we die? Soul Sleep?

    The bible says that when Christ comes for his church, "those dead in Christ will rise first....", but I have had pastors tell me that when we die our spirit goes to heaven immediately. So, which is correct? Do we rest here, or is our spirit in heaven and Christ comes for our bodies? Really confused....

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Missing Bubba. Loving Elsa Rose...
    Posts
    15,040

    Default

    All resurrections are physical.

    When the dead-in-Christ rise their disembodied spirits (currently with Christ) will be reunited with their newly resurrected/transformed/glorified bodies.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

  12. #92

    Default

    Thank you for answering. It makes sense now.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Missing Bubba. Loving Elsa Rose...
    Posts
    15,040

    Default

    A spirit outside of the body is referred to as being 'unclothed' in Scripture. They are incomplete until reunited.

    Take a look at 2 Cor 5 for some more on this subject.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Job 14:11-12 As water disappears from the sea or a riverbed becomes parched and dry, 12 so man lies down and does not rise; till the heavens are no more, men will not awake or be roused from their sleep.
    1 Thessalonians 4:15 According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
    1 Thessalonians 5:10 Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever.
    Daniel 12:2 Many of those whose bodies lie dead and buried will rise up, some to everlasting life and some to shame and everlasting disgrace.
    John 5:28 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out--those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.
    Isaiah 26:19 But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.
    Acts 24:15 and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.
    Psalm 13:3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death
    Romans 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

    John 11:24 Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
    John 11:11 These things he said, and after this he saith to them, 'Lazarus our friend hath fallen asleep, but I go on that I may awake him
    Matthew 9:24 "Get out!" he told them. "The girl isn't dead; she's only asleep."
    Mark 5:39 He went inside and asked, "Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn't dead; she's only asleep."
    Luke 8:52 The house was filled with people weeping and wailing, but he said, "Stop the weeping! She isn't dead; she's only asleep."

    John 5:21 For just as the Father awakens the dead and gives them life, so the Son also gives life to whom He wills
    1 Corinthians 15:12 But tell me this--since we preach that Christ rose from the dead, why are some of you saying there will be no resurrection of the dead?
    2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

    1 Corinthians 15:20 But in fact, Christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of a great harvest of all who have died.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont
    Posts
    19,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Job ....
    Please tell us you are not promoting soul sleep.

    Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.



  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    33,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Please tell us you are not promoting soul sleep.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Job 14:11-12 As water disappears from the sea or a riverbed becomes parched and dry, 12 so man lies down and does not rise; till the heavens are no more, men will not awake or be roused from their sleep.
    1 Thessalonians 4:15 According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
    1 Thessalonians 5:10 Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever.
    Daniel 12:2 Many of those whose bodies lie dead and buried will rise up, some to everlasting life and some to shame and everlasting disgrace.
    John 5:28 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out--those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.
    Isaiah 26:19 But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.
    Acts 24:15 and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.
    Psalm 13:3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death
    Romans 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

    John 11:24 Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
    John 11:11 These things he said, and after this he saith to them, 'Lazarus our friend hath fallen asleep, but I go on that I may awake him
    Matthew 9:24 "Get out!" he told them. "The girl isn't dead; she's only asleep."
    Mark 5:39 He went inside and asked, "Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn't dead; she's only asleep."
    Luke 8:52 The house was filled with people weeping and wailing, but he said, "Stop the weeping! She isn't dead; she's only asleep."

    John 5:21 For just as the Father awakens the dead and gives them life, so the Son also gives life to whom He wills
    1 Corinthians 15:12 But tell me this--since we preach that Christ rose from the dead, why are some of you saying there will be no resurrection of the dead?
    2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

    1 Corinthians 15:20 But in fact, Christ has been raised from the dead. He is the first of a great harvest of all who have died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Please tell us you are not promoting soul sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    747

    Default

    I am a pastor's daughter and from what I have been taught in the Word I noticed no one brought up the following:

    2 Corintians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

    Here is the following from Jon Courson's commentaries on the verse:

    ...the moment we are absent form the body, we are present with the Lord. This is an understanding seen most clearly in Jesus' words to the thief on the cross when He said, "Today you will be with Me in paradise (Luke 23:43).

    I think this clarifys the fact that we are separated from our bodies upon death physically, but that we are with the Lord immediately thereafter. If we should die before the Rapture I do believe that our bodies then will be reunited with our spirit as have been presented in the Scriptures others have posted here about the Rapture. But we have Christ living within us at the time of becoming a new creature in Christ. And so we are joined in spirit forever. Our "tents" as Paul referred to in 2 Corinthians is what will be transformed at the time of the Rapture. So we are not separated by death from the Lord. Only our bodies are.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biblebabe View Post
    I am a pastor's daughter.......
    I am a salesman's son. How is that relavant?

    Our understanding of the scripture and our authority to proclaim the gospel comes from the Holy Spirit not the faith of our parents
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jlutz View Post
    I am a salesman's son. How is that relavant?

    Our understanding of the scripture and our authority to proclaim the gospel comes from the Holy Spirit not the faith of our parents
    I will tell you. I have a father who is very much into me being held to accountability in my understanding of Scripture. It is not enough for me to hear his teachings. I need to know the Word. At no time did I post that because I have a father who is a pastor that I worship him or believe in him more than the Word of God. Nor did I state that he teaches me. The Holy Spirit illuminates the Word. And it is the same that counsels me, guides me and leads me in the ways of the Lord. It is my faith in Christ and His Word that leads me. Perhaps I should have made myself more clear. But I have been ill and just had my third surgery a few days ago within this year. So forgive me for being human and vague. I didn't mean to offend you. Even though the tone of your response offends me.

    What is really relevant? Love one another. First and foremost. I will leave that to you and wish you well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •