Thread: Senate panel passes climate change

Default Senate panel passes climate change

I searched, but didn't find a thread already created.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/6...te-change-bill

Republicans boycott, but Senate panel passes climate change
    By Jim Snyder - 11/05/09 07:33 PM ET
    The Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee passed a Senate climate bill on Thursday despite a Republican boycott.
    Democrats voted 11-1 to approve the bill, with Sen. Max Baucus of Montana the only “no” vote. Baucus said the legislation’s timetable for emissions reductions was too aggressive, although bill supporters took heart in his pledge to work to craft a measure that could reach the 60-vote threshold in the Senate.
    [QUOTE]The Senate bill, co-sponsored by Democratic Sens. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Barbara Boxer of California, would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent from 2005 levels by 2020, more than what is called for under the House climate bill. [QUOTE]

Makes me think that the Dems were busy today. Maybe Obama will feel that this step forward will allow him to go to Copenhagen as he cited a lack of climate change legislation as one reason for not going.

hmmm. That sentence is 'awkward.' I hope you all understand it. I'm awfully tired to change it.
    Micah 6:8 (NIV)
    8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you?
    To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Teotwawki Guest

How will they reduce greenhouse gas emissions? Just by taxing the heck out of them?

I'm glad it's only the commitee that passed this, it still have to go through the full senate, and then the house.

HisAlways Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
    How will they reduce greenhouse gas emissions? Just by taxing the heck out of them?

I'm glad it's only the commitee that passed this, it still have to go through the full senate, and then the house.
    I believe the House already passed this earlier this year...if it is the same bill.

Boxer and Kerry..... geez, what a pair.