View Poll Results: Do you believe in Eternal Security?

Voters
388. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

317 81.70%
  • No

71 18.30%
Page 1 of 197 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Once a Sheep Always a Sheep, or Salvation Deficit Disorder?

Cross Once a Sheep Always a Sheep, or Salvation Deficit Disorder?

I like the added doctrinal statement which clearly says that once we are truly saved, we cannot lose our salvation.

However, there are STILL articles on RR that CLEARLY say you WILL lose your salvation if you choose to walk away or sin urepentant.

WHy the contradiction?

:zipit

Ladybug Guest

By 'RR' are you referring to the messageboard, or to raptureready.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    By 'RR' are you referring to the messageboard, or to raptureready.com?

I am saying that the message board has a great OSAS doctrinal stmt, but the website raptureready.com has articles saying OSAS is not true.

SetApart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eternally View Post
    I am saying that the message board has a great OSAS doctrinal stmt, but the website raptureready.com has articles saying OSAS is not true.
    i saw that just today too...
    it is sorta confusing.

Ladybug Guest

Does anyone have a link to the article in question? Not that I think I can speak for whoever wrote the article, but now you have my curiosity up.

Maybe the one posting the articles is OSNAS

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Under Salvation Issues

Eternal Security Debate

So, the Message board proclaims Eternal Security, but the articles can say it isn't true on RaptureReady?

Biblenuggetlady Guest

If members see postings that they have questions/concerns over, please use the "!" Report a Post button, it helps mods address your concerns more quickly and helps us keep a handle on the board. With such a large community it is hard for us to read every post so your help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Biblenuggetlady View Post
    If members see postings that they have questions/concerns over, please use the "!" Report a Post button, it helps mods address your concerns more quickly and helps us keep a handle on the board. With such a large community it is hard for us to read every post so your help is much appreciated.

These aren't posts on the message board. These are articles on the rapture ready website.

That may be something that Todd has to handle, being as he owns the overall site.

Terry and I have come up general agreement between each other.

"If you're living like the devil, you was never saved in the first place."

I was going to pull the pages because we didn't want to get into an endless debate that didn't changed anything. I'm going to do that so there is no conflict between the board and the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Terry and I have come up general agreement between each other.

"If you're living like the devil, you was never saved in the first place."

I was going to pull the pages because we didn't want to get into an endless debate that didn't changed anything. I'm going to do that so there is no conflict between the board and the site.
    Thank you Todd for responding. I am definitely OSAS, but do feel that there are false converts out there that think they are saved.

Just MHO.

mistertwisty Guest

Default once saved always saved?

I am asking because I am not able to find defining scripture that goes either way on this. Most of the verses I find have the word "if" in them. On my wed night bible study we have been going through John 15:6, and digging into it's meaning.

John 15:6 (New King James Version)

6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

I would like to hear from both sides of the discussion we can or cannot loose our salvation. I will try to play devils advocate from both points of view. I am hoping that someone has the answers I am looking for. I am honestly seeking the truth, so please don't think I am trying to put a stumbling block in front of anyone, just feeling convicted to find out about this.

Hope this makes sense to someone other than me

Quote Originally Posted by mistertwisty View Post
    I am asking because I am not able to find defining scripture that goes either way on this. Most of the verses I find have the word "if" in them. On my wed night bible study we have been going through John 15:6, and digging into it's meaning.

John 15:6 (New King James Version)

6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

I would like to hear from both sides of the discussion we can or cannot loose our salvation. I will try to play devils advocate from both points of view. I am hoping that someone has the answers I am looking for. I am honestly seeking the truth, so please don't think I am trying to put a stumbling block in front of anyone, just feeling convicted to find out about this.

Hope this makes sense to someone other than me
    Once saved always saved is a clear cut fact. It is undeniable. Those who believe otherwise are mistaken.

There are many verses when taken out of the immediate context and/or when taken out of the larger context would seem to indicate that one can lose their salvation. However that is not possible and all of those verse when taken in context can be understood.

The verse that you quote is one of the more difficult ones.

You were rather vague about what it is that you are looking for. Responding to these type of questions properly can be very time consuming. And the fact is that most people who start these threads already have their mind made up with regards to the doctrine and responding to them in detail winds up being a waste of time.

So could you be more specific about where you stand on the doctrine and what it is that you are looking for?

-

mistertwisty Guest

where I stand is basically teetering between the two views. I find good arguments for both cases. I think the word "if" as I stated is the one that gives me the most trouble. Like I said before, this is a sincere attemp to figure this out, and I promise I am not just "looking for an argument". I will however put anyone through the paces on the issue, that's because I want to be real sure that scripture backs it up. I don't intend for this to degenerate into a predestination thread, but somehow freewill has to be taken into consideration.

You state that it is an undeniable fact, what scripture do you use to back that view? (in context of course)

Yes I know it is a difficult verse, in fact that is exactly the reason our pastor chose it. I have spent 6 weeks looking at context and relative scripture, and I am still not able to make up my mind on what this says.

where I stand is basically teetering between the two views. I find good arguments for both cases. I think the word "if" as I stated is the one that gives me the most trouble. Like I said before, this is a sincere attemp to figure this out, and I promise I am not just "looking for an argument". I will however put anyone through the paces on the issue, that's because I want to be real sure that scripture backs it up. I don't intend for this to degenerate into a predestination thread, but somehow freewill has to be taken into consideration.

You state that it is an undeniable fact, what scripture do you use to back that view? (in context of course)

Yes I know it is a difficult verse, in fact that is exactly the reason our pastor chose it. I have spent 6 weeks looking at context and relative scripture, and I am still not able to make up my mind on what this says.
    Ok sorry if my post came accross a little bit rude.

On the John 15 verse you mentioned, those are talking about fruit bearing. He wants us to bear much fruit, and we will do that if we abide in Him. But if we don't do that the result is good for nothing except to be burned.

Now compare that 1 Cor. 3:13-15

[13] Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    [14] If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    [15] If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

If we abide in Him we bear much fruit and recieve a reward. If we don't abide in Him we will be serving our flesh and producing works that are good for nothing and will be burned.

Eternal security is one of the most rock solid doctrines in the Bible. We can show verse after verse to clearly show that it is solid and true. Here is my favorite.

John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever...

It is like this...

I have a gallon of gas that I am will to give you and I tell you that this is special gas. If you put this gallon in your tank, your car will run forever.

Now if you take the gallon and put it in your car then either your car runs forever or else I am a liar.

It is the same with John 6:51. That is some special bread. If you eat of it you will live forever. Or else God is a liar and you can chuck you Bible in the trash.

-

mistertwisty Guest

No offense taken, quite the opposite. I am glad you are willing to have this discussion.

Interesting verses you quoted, I will take the time to read through I Corrinthians with this thought in mind. (sadly I am at work and must wait until later to do so)

So in the John verse, you are suggesting that the "branches" that do not abide are the "works" that are spoken of in Corrinthians. Why then does Jesus say just 1 verse before:

5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

surely He is not talking to the works.

there is the "if" I am talking about. It seems to be conditional.

Wildcat81 Guest

I am asking because I am not able to find defining scripture that goes either way on this.
    It seems to me that the problem is not so much Scripture that goes either way, as some passages that seem to go one way, and other passages that seem to go the other.

Being, as I am, a Wesleyan by education (my MA is from a theologically Wesleyan seminary), I'm pretty firmly of the camp that "You're not eternally secure until you're secure in eternity." I think that although there are several passages which seem to lend support to Perseverance (which is easier to type than "Once Saved Always Saved"), the preponderance of evidence seems to come down on the side of salvation being something that we take up (by God-given freedom), and can, if we choose, lay aside.

The problem with this issue is, as I said, that there are various passages that tend to support both sides, making it very easy for both sides to prooftext their way through a debate. And of course, prooftexting is a whole lot easier than doing the real, hard work of exegesis, so most people tend to prefer going that route.

Wildcat81 Guest

Just to play devil's advocate (as it were):

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Now if you take the gallon and put it in your car then either your car runs forever or else I am a liar.
    Or, the car runs until you drain the gas tank and take out the spark plugs.

mistertwisty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat81 View Post
    It seems to me that the problem is not so much Scripture that goes either way, as some passages that seem to go one way, and other passages that seem to go the other.

Being, as I am, a Wesleyan by education (my MA is from a theologically Wesleyan seminary), I'm pretty firmly of the camp that "You're not eternally secure until you're secure in eternity." I think that although there are several passages which seem to lend support to Perseverance (which is easier to type than "Once Saved Always Saved"), the preponderance of evidence seems to come down on the side of salvation being something that we take up (by God-given freedom), and can, if we choose, lay aside.

The problem with this issue is, as I said, that there are various passages that tend to support both sides, making it very easy for both sides to prooftext their way through a debate. And of course, prooftexting is a whole lot easier than doing the real, hard work of exegesis, so most people tend to prefer going that route.
    Perhaps that is a better way to phrase it. So from your stance, what are relavent passages?

The hard work of exegesis has done more to confuse me at this point, so I am still sstuddying to show myself approved.