Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isaiah 17 *Merged*

Sons of Thunder Guest

Default Isaiah 17 *Merged*

I was reading through Isaiah and noticed that Isaiah prophecies to other nations besides Syria (Damascus) in Isaiah 17. My question is: How is it known that specifically Is. 17 is a prophecy of the last of last of days that we are looking to be fulfilled? Are any of the other prophecies to nations in Isaiah yet to be fulfilled?

4EverHis Guest

Sons of Thunder - I was reading through Isaiah and noticed that Isaiah prophecies to other nations besides Syria (Damascus) in Isaiah 17. My question is: How is it known that specifically Is. 17 is a prophecy of the last of last of days that we are looking to be fulfilled?
    Welcome to RR Thunder We know that Isaiah 17:1, concerning Damascus has yet to occur. Damascus, in its history, has never ceased from being a city, and Gods Word tells us that it will. The final verse, vs.14, God tells us it will be gone overnight.

Isaiah 17:1
    1.The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.
    Isaiah 17:14
    14.And behold at eveningtide trouble; and before the morning he is not. This is the portion of them that spoil us, and the lot of them that rob us.

Are any of the other prophecies to nations in Isaiah yet to be fulfilled?
    Isaiah 17 will occur consecutively – at the same time.
    Isaiah 17:1- Destruction of Damascus

Isaiah 17:2- Jordan
    2.The cities of Aroer are forsaken: they shall be for flocks, which shall lie down, and none shall make them afraid.

(Aroer is a region on the northern bank of the Arnon River in what is today Jordan. In Moses day, it marked the southern boundary of the territory given to the two and a half tribes who received their land inheritance on the east side of the Jordan River. Aroer was in the territory of Reuben. There was another Aroer in the territory of Gad, near Rabbah. Rabbah is today called Amman, capital of Jordan. Isaiah is saying that the Jordanians will be involved as well.)

Isaiah 17:3 - West Bank
    3.The fortress also shall cease from Ephraim, and the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Syria: they shall be as the glory of the children of Israel, saith the LORD of hosts.

The land of the tribe of Ephraim sits in the middle of the "West Bank". The "fortresses"" in Isaiah 17 verse 3, the current terrorist strongholds that are eliminated.

The final statement " and the remnant of Syria: they shall be as the glory of the children of Israel, saith the Lord of hosts", is a strong statement of the judgment against Syria. Isaiah was writing during the time that the Assyrians had devastated the northern 10 Tribes of Israel. Isaiah is saying that Syria will experience the same that they did to Israel.

Israel will be fighting, alone, a mutiple fronted war. Israel will prevail, but at a great price. God tells us in Isaiah 17, that He allows His people to barely survive, and they suffer greatly.
    Isaiah 17:4
    4.And in that day it shall come to pass, that the glory of Jacob shall be made thin, and the fatness of his flesh shall wax lean.

He also tells us why, He allows this to happen.
    Isaiah 17:10
    10.Because thou hast forgotten the God of thy salvation, and hast not been mindful of the rock of thy strength, therefore shalt thou plant pleasant plants, and shalt set it with strange slips:

The nations surrounding Israel, attempt to rush in. God describes them as "rushing of many waters", which tells us their actions are sudden, and they are in close proximity to Israel, and fast moving.

Isaiah 17:13
    13.The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.

Hope this helps a little, to answer your questions.

Sons of Thunder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverHis View Post
    Welcome to RR Thunder We know that Isaiah 17:1, concerning Damascus has yet to occur. Damascus, in its history, has never ceased from being a city, and Gods Word tells us that it will. The final verse, vs.14, God tells us it will be gone overnight.

Isaiah 17:1
    1.The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.
    Isaiah 17:14
    14.And behold at eveningtide trouble; and before the morning he is not. This is the portion of them that spoil us, and the lot of them that rob us.

Isaiah 17 will occur consecutively at the same time.
    Isaiah 17:1- Destruction of Damascus

Isaiah 17:2- Jordan
    2.The cities of Aroer are forsaken: they shall be for flocks, which shall lie down, and none shall make them afraid.

(Aroer is a region on the northern bank of the Arnon River in what is today Jordan. In Moses day, it marked the southern boundary of the territory given to the two and a half tribes who received their land inheritance on the east side of the Jordan River. Aroer was in the territory of Reuben. There was another Aroer in the territory of Gad, near Rabbah. Rabbah is today called Amman, capital of Jordan. Isaiah is saying that the Jordanians will be involved as well.)

Isaiah 17:3 - West Bank
    3.The fortress also shall cease from Ephraim, and the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Syria: they shall be as the glory of the children of Israel, saith the LORD of hosts.

The land of the tribe of Ephraim sits in the middle of the "West Bank". The "fortresses"" in Isaiah 17 verse 3, the current terrorist strongholds that are eliminated.

The final statement " and the remnant of Syria: they shall be as the glory of the children of Israel, saith the Lord of hosts", is a strong statement of the judgment against Syria. Isaiah was writing during the time that the Assyrians had devastated the northern 10 Tribes of Israel. Isaiah is saying that Syria will experience the same that they did to Israel.

Israel will be fighting, alone, a mutiple fronted war. Israel will prevail, but at a great price. God tells us in Isaiah 17, that He allows His people to barely survive, and they suffer greatly.
    Isaiah 17:4
    4.And in that day it shall come to pass, that the glory of Jacob shall be made thin, and the fatness of his flesh shall wax lean.

He also tells us why, He allows this to happen.
    Isaiah 17:10
    10.Because thou hast forgotten the God of thy salvation, and hast not been mindful of the rock of thy strength, therefore shalt thou plant pleasant plants, and shalt set it with strange slips:

The nations surrounding Israel, attempt to rush in. God describes them as "rushing of many waters", which tells us their actions are sudden, and they are in close proximity to Israel, and fast moving.

Isaiah 17:13
    13.The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.

Hope this helps a little, to answer your questions.
    Thanks - that definitely more than explained Isaiah 17. And thanks for the welcome - glad to be here

Do you know if we should be looking for any other of Isaiah's prophecies to be fulfilled before the rapture?

JesusIsLord Guest

SoT,

There is no prophecy that needs to be fulfilled before the Rapture. It is an imminent, signless event that happens in a blink of an eye. That being said, there is much to fulfill prior to the Tribulation, like Isaiah 17, Psalm 83, arguably Ezekiel 38/39 (much debate on that), the 10 nations that belong to the AC, most likely a universal currency, etc. We simply do not know how much of this we will see before the Tribulation. If history is any indicator, the Lord will take us out just prior to the time of destruction, just like Lot.

During the Tribulation: The signing of the covenant, the rebuilt temple, the two witnesses, the abomination that causes desolation, the Seals, Trumpets and Bowls, the Second Coming, etc.

Sons of Thunder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JesusIsLord View Post
    SoT,

There is no prophecy that needs to be fulfilled before the Rapture. It is an imminent, signless event that happens in a blink of an eye. That being said, there is much to fulfill prior to the Tribulation, like Isaiah 17, Psalm 83, arguably Ezekiel 38/39 (much debate on that), the 10 nations that belong to the AC, most likely a universal currency, etc. We simply do not know how much of this we will see before the Tribulation. If history is any indicator, the Lord will take us out just prior to the time of destruction, just like Lot.

During the Tribulation: The signing of the covenant, the rebuilt temple, the two witnesses, the abomination that causes desolation, the Seals, Trumpets and Bowls, the Second Coming, etc.

Thanks. My primary question was if there were any other chapters in Isaiah other than 17 that are yet to be fulfilled - I should've worded my original question differently. At any rate, I gather the answer is no.

mfa0830 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverHis View Post
    Isn't it great to know that God doesn't forget?! Vengeance truly is His.

I've had the same questions, and I'm grateful for the time you took to answer the question. This cleared up a lot for me. Good job!

Sons of Thunder Guest

Default Isaiah 17

Do we know for sure that this war happens before the trib begins? When we see Damascus destroyed over night and Isaiah 17 fulfilled, is that a definite indicator that we are soon to go home?

I've been thinking about the destruction of Damascus the last couple of days and trying to put events together in my mind. If Damascus is destoyed, as well as the surrounding areas, before the Rapture, the Middle East is going to explode. Israel will be attacked by many fronts and I believe Gog/Magog will follow quickly. When Russia, Iran, and those armies with them converge on Israel, God is going to destroy nearly all of those armies on the mountains of Israel...His wrath is going to be poured out on them. Since the Church is not appointed to His wrath, I believe we will be removed just before those armies encounter the God of Israel on those mountains. With millions of Christians gone, then millions of the attacking armies gone, and Israel hurting badly from attacks from all sides, the anti-christ will be "introduced" to calm the world and bring "peace and safety" to all people. He will "calm the waters" and the majority of people from all around the world will accept him as one who can bring peace at last.

Consider this scenario:

1) Israel takes out Iran's nuke facilities, Natanz and Qom

2) Iran orders it's terrorist proxies, Hezbollah (Lebanon, north of Israel), Hamas (Gaza strip, south-western Israel), and Fatah (the West Bank - Judea & Samaria ((including Bethlehem )) - eastern Israel, next to Jordan) to start firing on Israel. Nasty chemical/biological weapons could be involved.

3) The headquarters for all these terrorist groups is located in Damascus, Syria (northeast of Israel).

Boom.

Google: Samson Option

Isa. 17 fulfilled.

Overnight. Isa. 17:14

Psa. 83 prayer, fulfilled.

Default Isaiah

I was reading this book the other day and I was wondering...... Is it just me, or are there others that find this book really hard to understand? I know this is a prophetic book, and I just feel like I'm spiritually blinded to it..... I know my spiritual gift is NOT interpretation, and this has confirmed it LOL..... Thoughts?
    "The God of Angel armies is always by my side!"~Chris Tomlin

Hi Take me away!,

I've read that the book of Isaiah is a full synopsis of the entire Bible itself. Maybe someone else can help me out here, cuz I can't remember where I read that

A couple of interesting points from my notes:

The book of Isaiah has 66 chapters; there are 66 books in the Bible.

The first 39 chapters are all about "Judgement"; for the 39 books of the OT law.

The next 27 chapters deal with "Comfort"; revealing what was brought by Our Messiah.

That's all I have, T.M.A., sorry

That helps, Thank you! I would love to study it further.... I may try to find some kind of study book that can assist me.... I feel there is a lot I'm missing out on!
    "The God of Angel armies is always by my side!"~Chris Tomlin

Default Precept upon precept; line upon line.

Allow yourself plenty of time to learn the book.
    Start small and move on only when you have mastered a chapter or a few (favorite) passages.

My favorite is Isa 52:13 through Isa 53:12 which basically outlines the gospel.

Growing in grace and knowledge of the Lord takes time,

Tony

Sons of Thunder Guest

Default Isaiah 17

Does this war definitely happen before the trib? If so, how do we know it does?

MrMannn Guest

The timing is not given, so we don't know for sure.

My pet theory is that it happens before the trib, and sets up further prophetic conditions.
    With her enemies defeated, Israel at last becomes a land of unwalled villages and they say peace at last. Jewish persecution breaks out across the world and the remaining Jews emigrate to Israel. The temple is built. and the conditions are set for the Gog magog war to break out just after the rapture.
    --Europe freaks out with nukes going off so close. They will do anything to sign a peace treaty with Israel, even promising to protect her if she gives up her nukes.

But thats just my read on this. Experts, scholars, schmoes like me, all we can do at this point is speculate. Your guess is as good as any.

As for me, I will keep watch for the Lord's timing. I'm on the wall, my lamp is trimmed and I have my extra oil. I am a lamp bearer, and I will watch faithfully until death claim me or my lord returns.

Pat Hood Guest

I was the same when I tried to read Isaiah, tried 2 chapters at a time, and yet still didn't seem to be able to understand Even when 2 friends at church said "Just read it" I still had trouble. But now we are doing Isaiah at Bible study and it's getting a lot easier for me. Why, I don't know. I don't have too much trouble otherwise.

Sons of Thunder Guest

Default Isaiah 17

How do we know for sure that this occurs around the time of the rapture/trib? Couldn't it be fulfilled and rapture, etc. is still decades away?

Bible No

Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Thunder View Post
    How do we know for sure that this occurs around the time of the rapture/trib? Couldn't it be fulfilled and rapture, etc. is still decades away?

There is a new thought that I have recently seen posted on this board, and I accept that it is possible. That Israel would attack Iran and damage their nuke plants badly, setting them back for quiet a while. If this happens, Iran would probably order their proxies to attack Israel leading to Isaiah 17, Psalm 83 with the destruction of Damascus, which would lead to Iran begging Russia and the Moslem nations to come to their aid, and Ezekiel 38 would be on. Some where during this time I expect the Rapture. I still lean more to the following, but can see the above happening too.

1. ISRAEL WILL NEVER ATTACK IRAN BECAUSE AS HISTORY WORKS OUT, THEY WON'T HAVE TO. GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF IRAN. THEY WON'T HAVE TOO.

2. I keep posting here that Isaiah 17, Psalm 83 (I agree that Psalm 83 is a prayer and Isaiah 17 is the answer to the prayer.) is going to come first.
    Iran will have their proxies attack Israel believing that they will destroy them and protect Iran from attack, and they may be partly right, by the time Israel has finished this attack from Damascus, Gaza, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the West Bank, they will have expended most of their weapons and have to be very carefull how they use what they have left. I believe that they will have a lot of trouble getting resupplied from the US or anyone else. They will be in a dangerous position, although I don't think they will be unable to defend themselves against small attacks.

3. Rapture, This ends any help comming from the USA as all Christians that will support Israel will be gone and probably the US will be in a state of panic from having so many people missing. Some in the world will not be hurt near as bad as the US.

4. Iran will then be so afraid of Israel that they will be begging Russia, and all the other moslem nations to come help protect them from Israel. This will be the war of Gog Magog, (Ezekiel 38) and all Israel can do against the combined millions of man armies from all these nations and all their weapons. The few that might want to help Israel won't because they will be afraid that they will be attacked too. When they get to the mountains of Israel and before Israel gets to the point of having to use all her nukes to try and make these armies back off, GOD will step into the history of the world and in a very clearly Devine way will destroy all these armies and their home lands. Only one in six will escape and they will have no place to go. Israel will spent if memory serves the next nine months burying the dead and the next seven years burning the weapons or war. Sometime shortly after this the AC will make a covent for seven years with Israel and the tribulation will be here.

William Beason

StarofDavid Guest

Default Isaiah: 17

How Many here feel the war that is around the corner will be the war prophesied in Isaiah: 17, and Damascus will cease to exist as a city? My feeling is that it is! If so we need to for the people of that city that they come to Jesus before it is to late. I feel they should not procrastinate!

Quote Originally Posted by StarofDavid View Post
    How Many here feel the war that is around the corner will be the war prophesied in Isaiah: 17, and Damascus will cease to exist as a city? My feeling is that it is! If so we need to for the people of that city that they come to Jesus before it is to late. I feel they should not procrastinate!
    I absolutely agree. We know by scripture that Damascus will be a ruinous heap. I believe it is very close & I for the salvation of these people as well as Israel's.
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice