Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 1016

Thread: Joel Osteen....

  1. #441
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    5,753

    Default

    Did you heart hat pathetic toxic waste about how to live the Christian life? To become better people we should

    1) Have a positive attitude toward ourselves- (because sin is so offensive...we all have such beautiful potential yaknow)


    2) Develop better relationships..(but he fails to mention the only relationship that has the capability to produce change and better "us"es....Hmm...Jesus ...)



    3) Embrace where we are: ( yes, and if we listen to him, we most likely are on the wide road leading straight to hell..how caring of him)


    This man is dangerous. He may look innocent enough with his charm and blinding smile.. but he is a huge cause I am sure for the propagation of such a false and insidious gospel. It is the gospel of satan, lit on fire by hell itself. It sickens me. False security is what this man sells. But then again, wolves in sheep's clothing have to be good at that, don't they?

  2. #442
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Soon to be with Jesus.
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
    Did you heart hat pathetic toxic waste about how to live the Christian life? To become better people we should

    1) Have a positive attitude toward ourselves- (because sin is so offensive...we all have such beautiful potential yaknow)


    2) Develop better relationships..(but he fails to mention the only relationship that has the capability to produce change and better "us"es....Hmm...Jesus ...)



    3) Embrace where we are: ( yes, and if we listen to him, we most likely are on the wide road leading straight to hell..how caring of him)


    This man is dangerous. He may look innocent enough with his charm and blinding smile.. but he is a huge cause I am sure for the propagation of such a false and insidious gospel. It is the gospel of satan, lit on fire by hell itself. It sickens me. False security is what this man sells. But then again, wolves in sheep's clothing have to be good at that, don't they?
    He's one of the reasons why a lot of non-Christians mock Christianity.

  3. #443
    Musclecar1975 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
    Did you heart hat pathetic toxic waste about how to live the Christian life? To become better people we should

    1) Have a positive attitude toward ourselves- (because sin is so offensive...we all have such beautiful potential yaknow)

    2) Develop better relationships..(but he fails to mention the only relationship that has the capability to produce change and better "us"es....Hmm...Jesus ...)

    3) Embrace where we are: ( yes, and if we listen to him, we most likely are on the wide road leading straight to hell..how caring of him)
    What a bunch of man-made garbage!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherished
    This man is dangerous. He may look innocent enough with his charm and blinding smile.. but he is a huge cause I am sure for the propagation of such a false and insidious gospel. It is the gospel of satan, lit on fire by hell itself. It sickens me. False security is what this man sells. But then again, wolves in sheep's clothing have to be good at that, don't they?
    He certainly is dangerous. His "gospel" is straight from the pits of hell. He's going to have a lot of lost souls on his hand. I would hate to be in his shoes when he stands before the Lord. He is not taking seriously what James 3:1 says about those who teach will be judged more stricter:

    Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment.

  4. #444
    cocopea9052 Guest

    Default

    People can't see it because they want what he is preaching. That sugar coated sugar cane cotton candy jelly beans with more sugar warm and fuzzy feeling without having any responsibility to anything but to and for themselves.

    His message is all about the people, not the Savior. If you leave out sin and hell and Heaven and God, then all you have to do is be nice, love yourself and be all that you can be. Not what the Lord has called you to be.

    You know how easy it is to repent of something when you set your own standard for right and wrong. That is what they want. To feel good, look good, think they are good and be nice and smile...That is it. That is the whole gospel message Joel and the likes offer up to the people. That phony, plastic, fake, fraudulent life. They want that.

    It is really sad also because Joel has softened them up so to the point when those who do open their eyes and turn to God, they are going to really have a rough time going through the fire, because Joel has taught them nothing of Gods saving grace and how sometimes he will drop you in the pit to save you and then bring you back out and refine you. They are essentially being taught to be weaklings and just show up to service.

  5. #445
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Soon to be with Jesus.
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cocopea9052 View Post
    People can't see it because they want what he is preaching. That sugar coated sugar cane cotton candy jelly beans with more sugar warm and fuzzy feeling without having any responsibility to anything but to and for themselves.
    That sounds like New Age stuff..


    His message is all about the people, not the Savior. If you leave out sin and hell and Heaven and God, then all you have to do is be nice, love yourself and be all that you can be. Not what the Lord has called you to be.

    You know how easy it is to repent of something when you set your own standard for right and wrong. That is what they want. To feel good, look good, think they are good and be nice and smile...That is it. That is the whole gospel message Joel and the likes offer up to the people. That phony, plastic, fake, fraudulent life. They want that.

    It is really sad also because Joel has softened them up so to the point when those who do open their eyes and turn to God, they are going to really have a rough time going through the fire, because Joel has taught them nothing of Gods saving grace and how sometimes he will drop you in the pit to save you and then bring you back out and refine you. They are essentially being taught to be weaklings and just show up to service.
    I guess Joel doesn't really care what God thinks of him then? He will be sorry..

  6. #446
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Independence, Mo
    Posts
    8,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinklingOfanEye View Post
    That sounds like New Age stuff..



    I guess Joel doesn't really care what God thinks of him then? He will be sorry..
    There is definitely something wrong when a pastor doesn't preach God's truth about salvation, and how to walk in his ways. I am not saying that he isn't saved, but the question is there is he born again. Some pastors don't want to preach about sin because they might make someone mad, and they won't come back. We shouldn't worry about being people pleasers but pleasing God. The Bible also says you will know them by their fruit. There are wolves in sheeps clothing. I that he repents of his ways of misrepresenting the word of God. This is why people should study The Bible for themselves, and they won't be deceived. Some people just want to have their ears tickled. They are not interested in knowing the truth. His dad John was also a pastor. Does anyone know did he preach God's truths without compromise?

  7. #447
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boondocks of Arkansas
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    James 3:1

    Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly.
    In God I Trust


  8. #448
    Musclecar1975 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightOfMyLife View Post
    There is definitely something wrong when a pastor doesn't preach God's truth about salvation, and how to walk in his ways. I am not saying that he isn't saved, but the question is there is he born again. Some pastors don't want to preach about sin because they might make someone mad, and they won't come back. We shouldn't worry about being people pleasers but pleasing God. The Bible also says you will know them by their fruit. There are wolves in sheeps clothing. I that he repents of his ways of misrepresenting the word of God. This is why people should study The Bible for themselves, and they won't be deceived. Some people just want to have their ears tickled. They are not interested in knowing the truth. His dad John was also a pastor. Does anyone know did he preach God's truths without compromise?
    Jesus said you have to be born again to be saved.

    From what I understand, his father was also a Word Faith teacher.

  9. #449
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Honestly, this interview should really set the record straight about Mr. Osteen. Even the interviewer mentions how it is more of "self-help" than anything else.

  10. #450
    IveSeenEvil Guest

    Default Joel Osteen

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
    He said, "this is my message." Exactly you fool, it is your message, not the biblical God breathed Gospel message. The interviewer was skeptical.."no mention of Jesus Christ in there"..and there is Joel, well we would not want to offend...Oh, please. Take your millions and invest in some duct tape.
    I'm not going to watch the interview because I'm familiar with Joel Osteen.

    BUT.... I've noticed comments from in him in other interviews where he says things like, "I believe...." So, even without watching the interview, I know that what you repeat of him that he said, "This is MY message..." ... is what I'd expect.

    I must confess. When I first observed him on TV, I fell for his preaching style, too. So, its because of places like RR.... you guys.... and your observations about him and others like him, that the unwary.... are alerted.

  11. #451
    Christina Guest

    Default

    He admits it, he says just towards the end "there are those better equipped to say here's what scripture says, I don't think that's my calling"

    Joel admits it, it's not his calling to preach the scriptures, there are others out there better equipped to do this. Joel is a motivational speaker and nothing more.

  12. #452
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Soon to be with Jesus.
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    He admits it, he says just towards the end "there are those better equipped to say here's what scripture says, I don't think that's my calling"

    Joel admits it, it's not his calling to preach the scriptures, there are others out there better equipped to do this. Joel is a motivational speaker and nothing more.
    Then why even bother?

  13. #453
    Musclecar1975 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinklingOfanEye View Post
    Then why even bother?
    Because to some people, being a pastor is a job. I read a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. where he said that he chose to be a preacher because he thought it was a noble profession.

    To others, being a pastor is akin to being a bigshot. Being in a leadership position, where everyone is looking up to you. It's nothing more than flesh and they don't see it as a calling from God.

    And still to others, they think they are doing God's work and they are not. They are blind to the fact that God did not call them to be pastors.

  14. #454
    Christina Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinklingOfanEye View Post
    Then why even bother?
    If you listen to him talk about his father's ministry (it's on youtube) and how he worked behind the scenes...you'll hear how he didn't want to take his father's place, he didn't want to be in the light (quiet and shy according to his words) he comes right out and says that his wife encouraged him to do it saying he could be great, saying he had the ability to speak and move people that he would be great for the "position". I'm led to believe that it wasn't Joel's first choice but when he saw how many people he could bring in and the fame he could make off his books and such, he went for it and got caught up in the "glamour", now it's too late to turn back. He believes his calling is to encourage people in Christ, he's made comments before about how people are already beaten down that he feels they don't need to go to church and get beaten down too (that's what he calls it when pastors preach the hard message of sin, he calls it beating people down, discouraging people), like I said, he's a motivational speaker and nothing more.

  15. #455
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Soon to be with Jesus.
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Musclecar1975 View Post
    Because to some people, being a pastor is a job. I read a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. where he said that he chose to be a preacher because he thought it was a noble profession.

    To others, being a pastor is akin to being a bigshot. Being in a leadership position, where everyone is looking up to you. It's nothing more than flesh and they don't see it as a calling from God.
    Sounds like an ego trip to me.

  16. #456
    cocopea9052 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    If you listen to him talk about his father's ministry (it's on youtube) and how he worked behind the scenes...you'll hear how he didn't want to take his father's place, he didn't want to be in the light (quiet and shy according to his words) he comes right out and says that his wife encouraged him to do it saying he could be great, saying he had the ability to speak and move people that he would be great for the "position". I'm led to believe that it wasn't Joel's first choice but when he saw how many people he could bring in and the fame he could make off his books and such, he went for it and got caught up in the "glamour", now it's too late to turn back. He believes his calling is to encourage people in Christ, he's made comments before about how people are already beaten down that he feels they don't need to go to church and get beaten down too (that's what he calls it when pastors preach the hard message of sin, he calls it beating people down, discouraging people), like I said, he's a motivational speaker and nothing more.
    Christina,

    Yep, I agree. I think it was just too easy as he inherited his father's following and then he saw how folks embraced him....more and more until he built the big church. Then after that all the fame and fortune and prestige. I believe he did not want it at first, but as you say just got caught up in it. Essentially he came to believe his own lie, and he had enough folks around him to benefit so they encouraged him to go for it.

    I was also thinking, because I do see in some ways the sincerity in Joels appeal (though not biblical), but you know just as a person who believes he is doing the right thing...so I think perhaps God may turn the tables on him. If Joel has any real faith and truth buried somewhere under all the fluff, then there should be a real torment going on inside. Again, not something we can see, but you know, like wrestling with the Devil & God at the same time. If this is happening or should happen to him and God lead him to stand up on Sunday and finally declare the truth, then possibly out of some 10,000 attendee's or whatever, there will remain a few saved souls. God does work wonders you know.

    Or, perhaps after the Rapture, Joel will be one of those who come to such a repentance that he is able to lead others through the trib. Again, all of this is just my thoughts on why he has been allowed to amass such a following and continue to flourish. We know that God uses everything to his greater good and purpose. Maybe Joel will one day write "The Purpose Driven TRUTH"!

  17. #457
    IveSeenEvil Guest

    Default Its a job

    Quote Originally Posted by Musclecar1975 View Post
    Because to some people, being a pastor is a job. I read a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. where he said that he chose to be a preacher because he thought it was a noble profession.

    To others, being a pastor is akin to being a bigshot. Being in a leadership position, where everyone is looking up to you. It's nothing more than flesh and they don't see it as a calling from God.

    And still to others, they think they are doing God's work and they are not. They are blind to the fact that God did not call them to be pastors.
    I read one of Joel Osteen's books where he explained that he was "the behind the scenes guy" for his father who was the pastor of the church for years. In fact, I believe his father founded the church.

    But when his father passed away, so did the job security of those who were "behind the scenes."

    I'm not saying that J.O. decided to preach for that reason (to save his paycheck), but he shouldn't be preaching at all if he feels he is less than skilled in preaching God's Word properly. The fact that he somewhat admits that he is less than properly trained in God's Word tells me he has put himself in a pickle. He can't resign and he shouldn't continue.

    Perhaps the best way to deal with the problem is to get back "behind the scenes" and have the ministry hire a qualified, trained, experienced pastor to take the podium???

  18. #458
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    93

    Default

    wow. His so called message leaves out the slightest mention of God.

  19. #459
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping
    Posts
    18,897

    Default Can Joel Osteen help you pay your bills? (CNN 12-18-09 article)

    speaking of the word of faith grifters since I brought up Parsley earlier:


    this is complete with osteen in his own words (on the link below)

    p.s. I am not responsible for the 30 second pop up ads before the video

    --------------------------------------------------------

    http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/18/romans.osteen/


    Christine Romans looks at the balance between faith and finances on "In God We Trust" at 8 p.m. ET Saturday on CNN.

    Houston, Texas (CNN) -- Joel Osteen strides into the former Compaq Center. Some 20,000 people are standing and singing. Purple lights softly pulse across the ceiling, and mist floats around two giant screens flashing words to the songs.

    It's not a pulpit but a podium. It's not an altar but a stage. There is no cross. Instead a huge globe spins, and two massive bubbling creeks flank the stage. A lighting system softens distant corners of the massive arena and spreads colored light and smoke in strategic spots. Somehow, the space that will hold 40,000-plus on Sunday morning doesn't feel like a sports arena.

    In the control room, producers watch multiple camera angles and feeds.

    Smiling broadly, Osteen bounds up the few stairs to the stage, closes his eyes, lifts his hands and leads a prayer.



    Video: Osteens on Tiger Woods

    Video: Christianity and the economy
    RELATED TOPICS
    Joel Osteen
    Religion


    Consumer Credit and Debt



    "God, I'm going to start this week off in faith. Expecting your goodness. Expecting to have a blessed and a prosperous week. Amen. Well, God bless you. Give him your very best today."

    Welcome to Sunday morning at Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas.


    It's reportedly the nation's largest congregation and probably one of the most diverse places in America. One third of these churchgoers are Hispanic, one-third African-American and a quarter white. There are dozens of nationalities.

    Osteen will give this sermon twice. He later said he knows immediately which segments to edit together into a sermon that will air on television to millions three weeks later.

    Between services, he is signing his most recent book in the lobby, just past the bookstore that is one of the highest-grossing Christian bookstores in America.

    His wife, Victoria, is co-pastor of the church and a best-selling author in her own right. In fact, the Osteens are not paid to be pastors at Lakewood, according to the church, but they live off the considerable proceeds of their books. Joel Osteen's advance for "It's Your Time," his third book, an instant best-seller, was $12 million, according to the church.

    Settled into the pastor's suite after two Sunday services and book signings, Osteen explains why he is telling people it's the time to "thrive."

    "I tell them that this is not the time to get discouraged or put your life on hold and really to be talked into having a down year," Osteen said.

    "I really believe that fear is contagious, that worry and anxiety ... if you let that get into you long enough, it almost paralyzes you."

    "So if you get talked into saying, 'Well, I'm just going to survive this year and make it and not get laid off,' I believe you draw more negativity in, versus if you get up and say, 'OK, yes, we're not in denial the economy is terrible, stuff's not going great, but I believe that God calls me to be at the right place at the right time' and you know put your faith out there -- don't have a survival mentality, believe that you can thrive."

    That message is resonating. His publisher, Simon & Schuster, said some 850,000 copies of "It's Your Time" are already in print.

    Osteen shrugs off criticism from mainstream Protestants, evangelicals and others who call Lakewood Christianity lite, more showbiz than theology -- a religious Disneyland, where after the "ride," the doors open into the gift shop to buy books DVDs, calendars and all things Osteen.

    "I'm not a debater," he said, shrugging. He said he's been called to deliver God's message to as many people as possible, and God gave him a unique set of gifts to do so.

    One of those gifts is the ability to market brand Osteen across multiple media: podcasts, Twitter, books, DVDs, CDs and television. He produced his father's telecasts for years and stepped into the spotlight after his death. Osteen's expertise behind the camera has taken his father's church to a stratospheric level.

    Osteen's supporters and associates suggest mainstream Christian mistrust of his success may be as much jealousy as theology.

    "Have you been to church in America recently?" one aide said. "They put on a funeral. If you put on a funeral every week, eventually people stop coming."

    Osteen's is the largest, but according to Hartford Seminary, there are 1,350 megachurches in the country, and they are spreading, while more traditional Christian churches struggle to fill the pews.

    "What megachurches represent for good or bad is the world that we live in," said Scott Thumma, a sociology of religion professor at the Hartfold Seminary in Connecticut.

    "I don't think it is the only form of religion that is going to survive into the future; I think there is also a very strong place for small intimate worship settings, like house churches and small cell churches. But the megachurch is appealing and attracting people for a reason; it parallels the experience that we have with rock concerts and sports arenas and the mall."

    Joel and Victoria Osteen appear profoundly, unfailingly positive. On the screen that recent Sunday are these words -- God plans to prosper you and not harm you.

    "I don't believe it's just money -- money is a part of it -- but prosper is to give you a good life, meaning good relationships, and give you health," Osteen said, explaining the "prosper" phrase comes from the Book of Jeremiah. It's to "give you a good job and money to pay your bills and do other things, but you know I encourage people to have a prosperous mindset." Osteen said.

    Osteen is often characterized, and criticized, for being a "prosperity preacher."

    "I don't like to be called a prosperity minister because I think in most people's minds that don't know me they think, 'Well, all he talks about is money,' " Osteen said, "Which I don't, I talk about being blessed in so many different ways."

    Yet he does offer advice about finances and he has some experience. Osteen said Lakewood still has $40 million to pay off on $100 million he borrowed to convert Compaq Center from a basketball arena into a church.

    In "It's Your Time," he writes, "If you have a burden of heavy debt, you need to announce to that debt, 'It is finished.' Look at that house payment. 'It is finished.' Look at that college loan. 'It is finished.' Look at those unpaid bills. 'It is finished.' "

    Can God really wipe out your debts?

    "It starts ... with the vision that you have to believe that God can help you to get out of debt to fulfill your dreams," Osteen said. "I don't think anything is going to happen if you don't believe, so I think that's where you start."

    And what of the Bible verse that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven? Or that Jesus preached his followers to give up all their belongings and follow him?

    "Years back at least, you know you had to be poor and to show you were holy," Osteen said. "You're supposed to sacrifice everything, and I'm all for sacrifice and I believe in that, but I also believe that God wants us to be leaders. He's put gifts and talents in every person, that they're supposed to come out to the full."
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

  20. #460
    sweet rose Guest

    Default

    I have watched him a few times and he says a lot about nothing other than himself and his family. A great disappointment when he could accomplish so much.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •