Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Osteen....

OED40 Guest

I don't like him, but I'm praying for his salvation. He is leading many people astray with his "ear-tickling" sermons.

You can find alot of opinions on him in the "Apostasy" section.
    In my Father's house there are many rooms, if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may also be where I am.
    John 14:2-3

Go my people, enter into your rooms and shut the doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until His wrath has passed by. Isaiah 26:20

Quote Originally Posted by cruz View Post
    I was listening to this man in the TV and my wife also bought one of his recent books but, for some reason I just don't feel right about this guy. I did see the TV interviews where he failed to answer several basic Christian questions. What do you guys think?
    If you want a feel good message that tickles your ears, by all means, tune hiim in and read his books. If you want to hear the gospel or to be convicted, avoid him.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

DONNIE Guest

I personally feel that he always has a good message. No he dosen't preach the Gospel every night and yes he always has a touchy feely message but that does not make him apostate in any way. I have watched him on and off for the last couple of years and have yet to hear him stray from any biblical doctrine. I really doubt he's leading people astray. It's just that most of you have formed your opinion and thats it. Just my $.02

Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by cruz View Post
    I was listening to this man in the TV and my wife also bought one of his recent books but, for some reason I just don't feel right about this guy. I did see the TV interviews where he failed to answer several basic Christian questions. What do you guys think?
    Pretty much everything you want to know about the various opinions on Mr. Osteen can be found here.
    Matthew 22:36-40

36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38 "This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' 40 "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

cruz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIE View Post
    I personally feel that he always has a good message. No he dosen't preach the Gospel every night and yes he always has a touchy feely message but that does not make him apostate in any way. I have watched him on and off for the last couple of years and have yet to hear him stray from any biblical doctrine. I really doubt he's leading people astray. It's just that most of you have formed your opinion and thats it. Just my $.02

Donnie
    So, I guess that when you say that Mormons are Christians, you are not straying from any Biblical doctrine?

DONNIE Guest

I never heard him say that.......but then again I don't sit waiting for any preacher to slip. I tend to listen for a message not for a mistake. It's too bad every preacher can't be perfect. I didn't expect a favorable response here anyway. I know that all preachers on tv are evil.

Donnie

Charitoo Guest

Well, when I heard Olsteen say that abortion was "not God's best", I knew he was not somebody I could respect b/c he he was more concerned w/not offending anyone than preaching the truth.

NOT GOD'S BEST?! It's sin! It's murder! Preach that!

Christina Guest

Donnie
    If you are not leading people to Christ then yes, you are leading them astray. I don't get the preachers that are so worried about offending people with the Gospel and Joel has already made it quite clear that his messages are as they are because as he says "people are already beaten down so I don't want to beat them down too"....so instead he preaches feel good and prosperity messages but how is that going to save them from the condemnation of God? from God's wrath and judgement? Wouldn't you rather offend them now than risk their souls going to hell FOREVER all because you didn't want them to feel offended or "beaten down" in the here and now?
    Last edited by Christina; December 1st, 2009 at 11:27 AM.

cruz Guest

I never heard him say that.......but then again I don't sit waiting for any preacher to slip. I tend to listen for a message not for a mistake. It's too bad every preacher can't be perfect. I didn't expect a favorable response here anyway. I know that all preachers on tv are evil.

Donnie
    With all due respect, it's not about waiting for anybody to slip, it's about confirming God's word when given a chance to do so.. In the TV interviews, he did say that Mormons were Christians. Furthermore, he never mentioned that the only way to God was through Jesus when they clearly asked him the question. These are basic, Christian believes he should have answered without leaving any doubts. I also clearly understand that no preacher is perfect but I will tell you this, if I have the bases loaded, I want my best hitter at the plate, he simply struck out against the worst pitcher.

24thchance Guest

He tickle,s the ear but has never done any hard preaching or stepped on any toes.Does he even give an invitation at the end of his service?,I don,t know I could never watch his program to the end to find out.

My concern about Joel Osteen is all about his reluctance to lay out the gospel message. It appears to me that he doesn't want to confront people with the fact that they're all born sinners on a course that will take them straight to hell unless they place all their faith in Jesus to save them from their sins. If your lost in sin, you don't need a preacher to make you fell good about yourself. You need the Truth. You need to be confronted with the fact that, while God is love, He is also holy and He is just. Because God is holy and just, He requires full payment for each sin. Doing good deeds will not pay for even 1 sin. God has said that the wages of sin is death. That's what we've earned. And Jesus paid the price fully for all our sin. People need to hear that. When I heard the gospel and was convicted, I didn't feel good about myself. I was confronted with the fact that I was filthy with sin and that's not a feel good message. But I thank God for that message because that's what lead me to eventually confess my sins and to be washed clean in the Blood of the Lamb. My opinion was formed about Joel Osteen based on what he preaches and what he doesn't preach.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Spineless! He should stay off of television. He doesn't know cults and he is a preacher? He is either a liar of horribly uninformed. In either case these are bad characteristics for a "Pastor"
    There is One King, and He is not this guy.

StarofDavid Guest

I'm not sure, but I don't think you will hear the word Sin in any of his messages.

I Might be wrong!

heart_changed99 Guest

Donnie

This is not slip ups, this is deliberate twisting of scripture and perversion of the Gospel! That is leading many astray. I was one of those in the Joel Osteen crowds, so don't come on here mocking our stance on "propsperity preaching". The truth of the Gospel will be shouted from the roof tops on Rapture Ready and if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

No, not all preachers on TV are evil, but if they generate some popularity using a perverted message, then most likely they are not real preachers. They are false teachers at best.

Brinkley Guest

For christians who want to hear condemnation to make them feel better by feeling un-worthy, Joel is not for them. Joel shares a gospel message of love and encouragement. He also believes in and preaches Jesus Christ, the blood atonement, repentance, etc., which are basic to our faith.

God gives different people different gifts, and Joel's gift is encouragement.

You can take sound bites and make them seems like someone is a charlatan. The ones who promote this, never show the sound bites of Joel calling people to Christ and instructing them to repent and become clean by the blood of Jesus. They only show the parts that build their case.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
    For christians who want to hear condemnation to make them feel better by feeling un-worthy, Joel is not for them. Joel shares a gospel message of love and encouragement. He also believes in and preaches Jesus Christ, the blood atonement, repentance, etc., which are basic to our faith.

You can take sound bites and make them seems like someone is a charlatan. The ones who promote this, never show the sound bites of Joel calling people to Christ and instructing them to repent and become clean by the blood of Jesus. They only show the parts that build their case.
    Please, if he is only speaking to a bunch of people who absolutely know the truth, OK. He puts his mug out there for all to see, and is not convinced of what he believes enough to address unbelievers. He can "Encourage" people all he wants, but encouraging people on their way to hell is sickening in ways the English language lacks the words to describe.

This guy is beyond defense, although some will continue to try.

He has much to answer for when he stands before God. Look at what Paul said in Acts 20 and Joel misses the mark by a mile.
    There is One King, and He is not this guy.

heart_changed99 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post

I watched him for years. One thing that I noted about his messages is that they all sounded the same! I finally started snapping out of it when I realized that his message was no different than the last. There is no Gospel in his messages. People are led to believe that Christ loves them for who they are and will accept them that way. His Salvation message is one that encourages people to come to Christ so they can have a better life.

They are also under a false notion that Christianity is a walk-in-the-park life. Sorry, but if you believe this, then you have a lot of studying to do. A few trials and tribulations can fix that mentality (walking testimony). People who follow this message are in for a rude awakening when they discover that our not so great economy is plummeting and well, that being a "Christian" doesn't save you from being in debt. Especially when your government is robbing you blind.

Its all hog-wash.

Oh Joel, don't you get it yet??????And why on earth would you go on such a horrid, liberal, anti Christian show of sharks?[/QUOTE]

Amen!! This show, in my opinion, is probably one of the worst talk shows ever.

cruz Guest

Thank you guys for making this clear, I really got offended at the things this guy said, I mean, call it as you see it, don't sugar coat it, God's word should be and always is direct and to the point!!!