Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Osteen....

If Joel Osteen started preaching about how we are wicked sinners and deserve hell for our sins and that without the blood of Jesus covering us our father is the devil, half, if not more, of the people in that massive auditorium would hightail it out of there.

No question in my mind.

Of course there are uplifting verses in the Bible. God wants us to experience a peace in Him.

But there is also something to reminding people how wicked our nature is and how merciful God was - THAT shows the glory of our Lord!

Some people say that brings people down, well it lifts me up! Knowing I am accepted by a Lord who only asks that I believe His gospel and have faith in Him!
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Quote Originally Posted by ShowUsTheFather View Post
    If Joel Osteen started preaching about how we are wicked sinners and deserve hell for our sins and that without the blood of Jesus covering us our father is the devil, half, if not more, of the people in that massive auditorium would hightail it out of there.

No question in my mind.

Of course there are uplifting verses in the Bible. God wants us to experience a peace in Him.

But there is also something to reminding people how wicked our nature is and how merciful God was - THAT shows the glory of our Lord!

Some people say that brings people down, well it lifts me up! Knowing I am accepted by a Lord who only asks that I believe His gospel and have faith in Him!
    Amen! I know that I was born a wretched sinner and I've had no difficulty proving it. It is so uplifting when I hear the gospel and realize what Jesus did for me. I know and love someone who was under the false impression for decades that becoming a Christian was supposed to solve all her problems and all of life was supposed to be smooth sailing from that point on. Imagine her reaction when she became sick with TB and had to lose part of her lung and also had to spend 14 months in a sanitorium for people with TB while her husband worked long hours and someone else had to take care of her 3 babies. And imagine how she reacted when the 2 youngest babies were found to have TB as well and had to be hospitalized for months and she couldn't even hold them. Imagine her reaction when several yeas later her oldest child almost died from spinal Tuberculosis, or when her birth father and adoptive father died within a few months of each other or when she realized her husband was an alcoholic or when her son committed suicide. Encouraging people is one thing. It's another thing altogether when we try to convince people that professing faith in Jesus means you will prosper financially and life will be devoid of hardships. My Mother had bought into a false gospel that led her further away from the Lord with each hardship she endured. Finally, last year, at the age tender of 78, she came to know the real Jesus Who will never leave her or forsake her as she endures the trials of life.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Christina Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShowUsTheFather View Post

No question in my mind.
    Which is exactly why he doesn't preach the full Gospel, he preaches a watered down version at best.

Christina Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OnceWasLost View Post

Spineless! He should stay off of television. He doesn't know cults and he is a preacher? He is either a liar of horribly uninformed. In either case these are bad characteristics for a "Pastor"
    WOW is all I can say

NewWorldOrder Guest

Watching those two videos made me cringe.

is all I can say.

It's so frustrating. He's such a wishy washy little man.

Joel, stop trying not to offend and speak the Truth for once.

I'm borrowing those videos and putting them on my FB.

IveSeenEvil Guest

Default Joel Osteen & homosexuality

Quote Originally Posted by 24thchance View Post
    I am not a fan of this man and this is a prime example of why-He dances around the sin question insted of quoting Bible verses like he should.He should have a Bible right there in front of them and turn to Leviticus 20:13 and tell the camera to zoom in on the Bible and the verse,and tell the world God thinks it,s wrong- So it,s wrong -end of discussion.I wonder what Jack Hyles or Billy Sunday would say about this same subject?
    I agree with you wholeheartedly that Joel SHOULD have had a Holy Bible right on his lap because we all know the homosexuality question would be brought up. The easiest method to deal with that question is to simply say, 'here is what the Word of God says about the subject and I simply teach what the Word of God says.'

Unfortunately, Joel does dance around too much on the questions with such statements as "I believe..." when he could simply say "God SAYS..."

Ultimately, a pastor teaches the word of God as a math teacher teaches math. We don't hear an angry person claiming that "two plus two SHOULD include ALL answers" because the math teacher would simply explain that there is only one answer for "two plus two" regardless of the complaint that other answers MUST be included.

Yes, Joel Osteen needs to carry his Bible with him and know how to use it to explain God's Word.
    Last edited by IveSeenEvil; December 1st, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

NewWorldOrder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IveSeenEvil View Post
    I agree with you wholeheartedly that Joel SHOULD have had a Holy Bible right on his lap because we all know the homosexuality question would be brought up. The easiest method to deal with that question is to simply say, 'here is what the Word of God says about the subject and I simply teach what the Word of God says.'

Unfortunately, Joel does dance around too much on the questions with such statements as "I believe..." when he could simply say "God SAYS..."

Ultimately, a pastor teaches the word of God as a math teacher teaches math. We don't hear an angry person claiming that "two plus two SHOULD include ALL answers" because the math teacher would simply explain that there is only one answer for "two plus two" regardless of the complaint that other answers MUST be included.

Yes, Joel Osteen needs to carry his Bible with him and know how to use it to explain God's Word.
    The problem with doing that is he misquotes scripture, we saw that in the second video. You don't see him use a Bible during his sermons, he's standing at the pulpit and misquoting scripture. I'm not sure he really even believes scripture.

IveSeenEvil Guest

Default Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by 24thchance View Post
    He tickle,s the ear but has never done any hard preaching or stepped on any toes.Does he even give an invitation at the end of his service?,I don,t know I could never watch his program to the end to find out.
    I'm not going back to listen again to the two tapes, but I don't believe Joel Osteen mentioned Jesus Christ once, did he? I know he spoke of "God" but the only way to the father is through JESUS CHRIST. Many people speak of their 'god' without meaning the true God, Jesus Christ.

IveSeenEvil Guest

Default Misquoting Scripture...

Quote Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
    The problem with doing that is he misquotes scripture, we saw that in the second video. You don't see him use a Bible during his sermons, he's standing at the pulpit and misquoting scripture. I'm not sure he really even believes scripture.
    Interesting. I didn't watch the videos but you or someone actually catches him misquoting. Do you happen to know if he does that a lot or more as an accident? Someone should challenge him on that through the mail.

ann s. Guest

After reading most of this thread, I wonder if Joel O. knows what the Gospel is....maybe he has never heard it himself? What we are seeing is the "falling away"..maybe I would be surprised to find out how many believe that the gospel is trying to be good, follow the rules, keep the 10 Commandments....love your fellow man, just do the best you can..reasoning goes something like this....no body is perfect, you know...God can not hold that against you...afterall He made us...THEY HAVE NO IDEA OF WHO GOD IS...

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish because they receive not the love of the truth that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion that they shall believe a lie. That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thess. 2:10-12

God bless the man who stood outside Joel O. church and told the passing crowd the truth!

Musclecar1975 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OnceWasLost View Post

Spineless! He should stay off of television. He doesn't know cults and he is a preacher? He is either a liar of horribly uninformed. In either case these are bad characteristics for a "Pastor"
    Wow. Just when I thought Joel Osteen the Used Car Salesman couldn't be any worse.

He doesn't get into the "little details" of Mormonism? Like Mormon teachings such as Jesus and Lucifer are brothers, or that man will become a god and have his own planet? Those aren't "little details" Joel!

Has he ever even read a bible?

What a pathetic excuse for a pastor.

NewWorldOrder Guest

I'm having a discussion with a friend on FB about this video. She doesn't think he's saying that Jesus isn't the only way, just that he's going to let God judge their hearts.

I had to go and type out some of the transcript to try and show her that Osteen, by not saying that Jesus is the only way and you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior or you will go to Hell. Instead he's being "non-offensive" by side-stepping the issue and saying that he believes "his way", and that he'll present his way, but not everyone will believe his way...blah, blah. It's not his way, it's God's way and that's the only way that matters. He won't come out and defend scripture because he might make somebody mad.

IveSeenEvil Guest

This is why I wanted to obtain a chart which places the belief system of the Christian Holy Bible side by side with other worldly cults / "religions." I didn't know all the differences.

BUT... as a pastor.... Joel Osteen should be fully aware. As was pointed out here, I don't think his good intentions cover his errors. He is leading people astray.

I don't know how accurate my side by side comparison chart is but it describes Mormanism as :

Founded in New York 1830
    "God the father was once a man.. but "progressed" to godhood. He has a physical body AS DOES HIS WIFE (heavenly mother).
    No belief in the trinity. The Father,son, and Holy Ghost are considered THREE gods.
    If one is worthy, he may one day become a god himself.
    Jesus was married !
    The Holy Spirit is not God The Holy Ghost is a different.
    One is saved by works and not by God's grace.
    None of the following are to be used: alcohol, tobacco, coffee, or tea.
    Secret temple rituals only available to "members in good standing."
    African Americans not granted full access to priesthood until 1978.

Phillip_19 Guest

Tsk tsk 60 Minutes interview with Joel Osteen

Musclecar1975 Guest

That's Joel, the Used Car Salesman for you!

He said, "this is my message." Exactly you fool, it is your message, not the biblical God breathed Gospel message. The interviewer was skeptical.."no mention of Jesus Christ in there"..and there is Joel, well we would not want to offend...Oh, please. Take your millions and invest in some duct tape.

Something ain't right about him..

Musclecar1975 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
    He said, "this is my message." Exactly you fool, it is your message, not the biblical God breathed Gospel message. The interviewer was skeptical.."no mention of Jesus Christ in there"..and there is Joel, well we would not want to offend...Oh, please. Take your millions and invest in some duct tape.

cocopea9052 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
    ...I just don't know why that is so funny-- but it is so true.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinklingOfanEye View Post
    Something ain't right about him..
    Yep, I believe you have discerned correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopea9052 View Post
    ...I just don't know why that is so funny-- but it is so true.

Yep, I believe you have discerned correctly.
    But yet all his followers, the congregation, they can't see it? <------ Seriously tho. How come they can't discern?