Thread: Joel Osteen....

cocopea9052 Guest

Billefan,

You are on a role this morning!

Get them hosed, exposed and closed!

Good work on the posts!

SPYDYR Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cherished View Post
    Did you heart hat pathetic toxic waste about how to live the Christian life? To become better people we should

1) Have a positive attitude toward ourselves- (because sin is so offensive...we all have such beautiful potential yaknow)

2) Develop better relationships..(but he fails to mention the only relationship that has the capability to produce change and better "us"es....Hmm...Jesus ...)

3) Embrace where we are: ( yes, and if we listen to him, we most likely are on the wide road leading straight to hell..how caring of him)

This man is dangerous. He may look innocent enough with his charm and blinding smile.. but he is a huge cause I am sure for the propagation of such a false and insidious gospel. It is the gospel of satan, lit on fire by hell itself. It sickens me. False security is what this man sells. But then again, wolves in sheep's clothing have to be good at that, don't they?
    I would like to say his 3 pieces of advice I live by!

1. I have a very postive attitude that the L-rd will take me home. I have a postive attitude that the L-rd will lead me from sin. I have a positive attitude that sin is what men like him are made of.

2.I have developed a healthy relationship... with Jesus. Period. I suppose if I had an agent, and an accountant like his I would consider branching out.

3. I have a full embrace that I am stuck on this rock floating in space waiting for my Father. Its fun to embrace pointless stuff....like love of money while visiting this place, but he seems to enjoy it more than others. He sure likes to misdirect people into thinking we can fix ourselves.

I have a very dry sense of humor... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinklingOfanEye View Post
    But yet all his followers, the congregation, they can't see it? <------ Seriously tho. How come they can't discern?
    Perhaps the itching ears has got them bothered...

My Road Map to Peace...

Default Can Joel Osteen help you pay your bills?

I know CCN isn'r really reliable news anymore. But I couldn't help but post this as it is a dangerous position on true faith.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/18/rom...een/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by LindaLee View Post
    Perhaps the itching ears has got them bothered...
    Odd, i sense something is wrong the moment he opens his mouth.

JoelH Guest

Thanks for the message. So we now know that Osteen himself admits God hasn't called him to teach. Then he should get out of teaching/pastorate and publicly apologize to all bretherns in the churches as a biblical measure for repentance.

I believe some will owe a lot of us (including all members of the RR-BB moderator team) here an apology over their attempts to defend Osteen by saying "Perhaps God hasn't called him to teach the whole Bible, just the encouraging parts..."

razberry Guest

Way too many people trust this guy rather than the Word of God. Proof of how easily deceived people are.

To trust in man is to depart from the Lord: "Cursed is the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength, Whose heart departs from the Lord. For he shall be like a shrub in the desert, And shall not see when good comes, But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, In a salt land which is not inhabited. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit" (Jeremiah 17:5).

His Bride Guest

Quote Originally Posted by razberry View Post
    Way too many people trust this guy rather than the Word of God. Proof of how easily deceived people are.

To trust in man is to depart from the Lord: "Cursed is the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength, Whose heart departs from the Lord. For he shall be like a shrub in the desert, And shall not see when good comes, But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, In a salt land which is not inhabited. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit" (Jeremiah 17:5).
    I agree.

IveSeenEvil Guest

"""Osteen's supporters and associates suggest mainstream Christian mistrust of his success may be as much jealousy as theology.

"Have you been to church in America recently?" one aide said. "They put on a funeral. If you put on a funeral every week, eventually people stop coming."

---------------

I've been going to my little, local Baptist Church for roughly 3 years and have not heard the pastor speak of funerals once even though we've had a few people pass away. The word of a funderal is merely passed through the membership. The criticism, by Osteen's supporters, of small churches falls flat.

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by IveSeenEvil View Post
    """Osteen's supporters and associates suggest mainstream Christian mistrust of his success may be as much jealousy as theology.

that is a straw man argument that seeker pastors

and word of faith grifters and emergents all use to avoid defending their false teachings

Osteen and Warren and Perry Noble and Ed Young Jr and Kerry Shook and the other seeker-driven obsessed peddlers are too afraid to defend their false teachings

so they use the "jealous card" or any number of cards to avoid explaining themselves.

btw:

most churches in america are funerals in a way cause most churches are dead and or very lukewarm

thanks to their being too many pastors who act and think like Joel Osteen in the pulpits.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Default WCA pastor Joel Osteen on Larry King on 12-17-09

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...17/lkl.01.html

Mega Pastor Joel Osteen and his wife Victoria are next, is Christianity maybe partly responsible for the recession? You know some people think so. We will ask the Osteen's next.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

JOEL OSTEEN, PASTOR: What a joy it is to be with you tonight. We love you guys.

VICTORIA OSTEEN, PASTOR: This is a dream come true for us.

J. OSTEEN: Be strong and of good courage, for the lord, your god, is with you.

V. OSTEEN: How are you?

J. OSTEEN: God bless you all. Thank you.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: Howie Mandel will be with us tonight. Welcome back tonight to Joel and Victoria Osteen. They are pastors of America's largest church, the Lakewood Church in Houston. Joel's new book is "It's Your Time -- Finding Favor, Restoration and Abundance in Every Day Life." It's already a major best seller. Central message is?

J. OSTEEN: We're not supposed to put our lives on hold just because there's difficult times. When you believe, that's when all things are possible. It just seems like there's so much negative news these days, with the recession and so many other things going on, people seem to be just so down. So I wanted Ed write a book that would lift their spirits.

KING: Isn't it hard when let's say it's Christmas time, Christianity's time. People are out of work, being foreclosed. Isn't the hope you're giving them kind of ethereal? What is it based on?

J. OSTEEN: Well, I think it's based on the scripture that when you believe that's what allows God to work in your life. The opposite to me, Larry, is to say be down, be depressed, be bitter. All that does is not only make your life miserable, but it doesn't allow God to do great things. God works when we believe, when we have faith, when we get up each day and say, God, I don't have my job, but I believe you're going to open up something new in the days ahead.

KING: But you can have that without believing in god. Couldn't you have faith in yourself?

OSTEEN: Sure, you can. Certainly you can. But that helps you. Of course I believe putting my faith in God.

KING: Do you ever doubt, Victoria? Truthfully, do you ever doubt?

V. OSTEEN: When I doubt, my mind might doubt, but I got my heart so grounded in God that, you know, not everything goes right, but I just have to know that there's better days ahead. Somebody has got me in the palm of his hand. That's God.

When I have faith in myself, I make it harder on myself. If I can have faith in God, then I can just be responsible and then I just believe that he's helping me. Does that make sense?

KING: Yeah, I understand. Joel, "Atlantic Magazine," I'm sure you heard of this, has a major story asking, did Christianity cause the crash? Did prosperity gospel preachers -- and you're called one of those -- have something to answer for? Might the prosperity gospel played a role in the economic collapse? Think about it, you have to self-examine.

J. OSTEEN: Sure, you do. Larry, we encourage people to believe that they can rise higher. I think linking that to what we believe is not apples to apples.

KING: But the article talks about your church. It questions a strain of the Christian faith that promises to make believers rich in the here and now. Pretty strong promise.

J. OSTEEN: Sure, but I don't necessarily believe that. I believe God wants us to be blessed. He wants us to rise higher, just like my father came out of deep, deep poverty. He said I can make something with my life. When you believe that God is in control, that he wants you to rise higher, I think that's when you can see God's goodness in new ways. But we never tell people that if you believe, if you have hope, you'll never have a problem, and you'll be rich. We don't believe that.

KING: You're not materialistic then? It's not a materialistic preaching?

J. OSTEEN: It's really not. we don't believe that.

KING: How did that image happen then. You have a large church and you dress great and you sell books.

J. OSTEEN: We do believe God wants you to be blessed. But being blessed is not just so I can have nice cars and homes. We're blessed to be a blessing to other people. And so I think the image comes because we don't believe that god wants you to be defeated and depressed and go through life just poor old me. KING: This is the hardest thing to explain. I don't think I've ever asked it of the Osteens. I've asked it of other religious leaders. That is -- I know it's written in the book. But the question would be, why do you believe? You don't believe because a book says believe, do you? Or do you?

J. OSTEEN: To be honest, I think -- I believe -- I was raised in this. This is what I saw my parents' live out. I saw their faith. I saw how they loved people and they each other. It was just something on the inside. I can only speak for my own experience. I was raised in this. I can understand. I have friends that totally opposite than me, weren't raised in this at all. It's very difficult from them. But I do believe there's a place in everybody's heart that only God can fill, that we're people of purpose and destiny.

KING: Can you explain faith, Victoria? You can't pin it down, can you?

V. OSTEEN: No, but faith comes when you have hope. The Bible says that faith is the substance of things hoped for. And that's why we try to put hope in people. We try to get people to look at the future in a good sense, and not in a bad sense. Like Joel was saying, not to get bitter and not to, you know, just buckle down and say, nothing good is going to happen to me, but to say what if. You know, what if tomorrow is a better day? What if it does happen to me? That brings hope. When you have hope, the Bible talks, your faith increases. And faith is what moves God to act.

KING: Our guest are the Osteens. His book is "It's Your Time," already a major best seller. More after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: His new book is "It's Your Time." He's Joel Osteen. He's here with his wife, Victoria. Oral Roberts was a frequent guest on this program, always a pleasure having him. He was a good guy and a lot of fun. Very serious, but he also could take a joke. He, of course, just died the other day. Here are both of you praying together. Let's watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ORAL ROBERTS, PASTOR: I pray for your ministry. I marvel at your ministry. I marvel at the Gift of God in your life and Victoria's life. I marvel. I see it and I rejoice. I praise God for it.

But I know there's always more in God. And I pray for that more to be given to you, and you to give God more of yourself.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: You went to his school for a year?

J. OSTEEN: I did. I went to Oral Roberts University and enjoyed it. It's a great place. That's right. It's fun and my brothers and sisters have gone there. My brother graduated from medical school there. It's a good place.

KING: All right. And he was quite a guy?

J. OSTEEN: He really was.

KING: Whether you believed or not, he was. Where is he now?

J. OSTEEN: I believe he's in heaven.

KING: What is heaven?

J. OSTEEN: Heaven, I believe it's a place of love, a place of beauty. Heaven -- you know, the scripture describes as a place that -- you know, it's where God is. And God is, you know, the opposite of hate and anger and sickness and disease.

KING: Is he in a physical form?

J. OSTEEN: I don't think it's a physical form. I believe that we live inside our body, that this is sort of our house that we live in, and one day we're going to live on. I believe when you know Christ, you go to be with him in heaven.

KING: And you believe the same thing?

V. OSTEEN: I do.

KING: Was that emotional for you, to have that blessing from him?

J. OSTEEN: It really was. Of course, growing up, we watched him. Being a preacher's kid, we watched him on television. He was one of the heroes of faith. I went to his school. He was always bigger than life. When I went to visit him at 91 -- he's just so kind. He was still sharp as a tack.

KING: Do you believe he healed?

J. OSTEEN: I believe that he prayed for people and God still heals. He just had that ministry -- you know, his path that took that God put in him was to help the hurting people. And so he prayed for healing.

KING: Let's discuss something that everybody is talking about, Tiger Woods. What would you say to him if he asked for council.

J. OSTEEN: If he asked for council; well, Larry, our ministry is about restoration. We believe only the guilty need mercy. I'm going to come from that point of view to say Tiger, you know, we can learn from our mistakes. God is a forgiving God. We've always made poor choices before. But this is not the end of your life. It may be a bump in the road. But God has a way somehow to work things for your good. I would encourage him to keep his hopes up. I would encourage him to get some good counseling. But to just let him know that this is not the end.

KING: Would you say maybe he should get divorced? Sometimes you have to counsel. Some people should, shouldn't they?

J. OSTEEN: It would not be my first choice. I think everybody knows, we're all about doing what you can to stay together. Sometimes you can't unscramble eggs. If it's done, it's done. But, you know, it takes two people. God has given us our own free wills, and so we just now pray for him.

KING: The basis of Christianity, Victoria, is forgiveness, right? Isn't that hard?

V. OSTEEN: It is hard. It's very hard. But, you know, a lot of things in Christianity are opposite from what we would really like to do. I heard it said one time that when you forgive someone, you release the prisoner and you find out that that prisoner was really you. And so I think sometimes if we understand that forgiving is more for ourselves than it really is the other person. We'll hold grudges, and we think we're getting back at the other person, but really we're only hurting ourselves. And I think that's the basis of forgiveness.

KING: The genius of that is the grudge holder is the victim.

J. OSTEEN: It really is. I've seen people, Larry, in the business we're in that they -- you know, they go their whole life angry. They're still angry at their parents for something that happened 30 years ago. And the person they're angry at has gone on. They're living their life. And they're only imprisoned themselves. So we just encourage people, you know, every morning, get up and start the day off, forgiving the people that hurt you the day before, letting go of the disappointments.

KING: Back with the Osteens after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: The subtitle of Joel's new book "It's Your Time" -- the Free Press is the publisher -- is "Activate Your Faith, Achieve Your Dreams and Increase In God's Favor." Do you think God is judging us?

J. OSTEEN: Well, I think, in a sense, God is watching us. I think he rewards people that seek after him, people that do their best each day, people that walk in excellence and integrity. So, yes, God is watching each one of us.

KING: Concerning wealth, Rick Warren is quoted as saying the idea that God wants everyone to be wealthy is creating a false idol. Is he right?

J. OSTEEN: I think that's true. I think if you're focussing on wealth, that's not what Christianity is all about. Christianity is about helping other people. We believe that God wants you to prosper. Prosper means have good relationships, be healthy in your body, have money to pay your bills and bless other. But I don't think we should ever take Christianity or anything that we believe as just all about riches and this world. That's not what it's all about.

KING: Do you get angry at hypocrisy in faith, people who say, do as I say, not as I do?

J. OSTEEN: I don't think if I get angry, but it you get disappointed. You think it just brings -- just puts all of us in a bad light. It's much better -- we try to live by example and hopefully, you know, be who you really are, and not just, you know --

KING: Do you take any political stands?

J. OSTEEN: We really don't. We really don't. I mean, in terms of -- no, we don't.

KING: On the climate or the health bill?

J. OSTEEN: We really don't. I'm not up to speed on all of that. I do think we should take care of the environment and I do believe that people should -- I hope that everybody could have health care. So in -- from a civilian point of view, we do, but that's about it.

KING: Do you think health is a right?

J. OSTEEN: Well, I would like to think it is. I would like to think --

KING: You would think God would say, yes, wouldn't you?

J. OSTEEN: I would think so. I mean, I think the heart of God is for everybody to live healthy and whole and happy.

KING: Or access to it.

J. OSTEEN: Well, yeah, sure, sure. I mean, that's -- I think, like everybody, we don't want to see anybody hurting or lonely or can't afford something. I think there's something in every person that says, we need to help others. I don't know the best route to do it. But, you know, there's people a lot smarter than me on that.

KING: The book is "It's Your Time." We'll ask Joel and Victoria what, if anything, makes them angry? I'm going to make them angry after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(NEWS BREAK)

KING: That's so sad. What makes you angry? Prejudice should make you angry, people who look upon other people just because of race, creed, color.

J. OSTEEN: Absolutely, things like that do. And people mistreating other people, that makes us upset. We know that's not right. But, you know, things like that.

V. OSTEEN: Yeah.

KING: Same with you. V. OSTEEN: Yeah. You know, you can't spend your time being angry. You know, you have to think -- it makes you angry. But, you know, you've just got to believe that people are going to, you know, get over this. Because there is a lot of things in the world that can make you angry. You could stay angry a lot.

KING: What do you make of the president?

J. OSTEEN: We like the president. It's a tough job, but I had the opportunity to meet him not long ago, a coup of days ago. I found him to be sincere. He's genuine. He's smart. You know, our prayers go out to him for what he has to deal with. But we stand behind leaders and support them and pray for them, God give them wisdom and strength.

KING: Did you meet Michelle, too?

V. OSTEEN: Yes. Lovely, lovely.

KING: Terrific lady. I know you met recently with our friend, Billy Graham, who's been a frequent guest on this show, and I know watches it every night. Nice to know Billy is out there because he's special. How is he doing?

J. OSTEEN: This last time we saw him, I thought he was doing better than ever. He's still just as kind and humble. You know, he moved around a little bit, but he's still sharp in his mind. He misses his wife greatly.

KING: Yeah.

J. OSTEEN: But he's got good family around him.

KING: Franklin's doing well?

J. OSTEEN: Franklin is doing great.

KING: In the preacher's realm of things, when the preachers talk, where is Billy Graham on the spectrum?

J. OSTEEN: Billy Graham is at the very, very top. He's a hero of faith. He was like Oral Roberts as well. But Dr. Graham is -- his life of integrity, the way he finished strong -- he's still encouraging people. He doesn't have to meet with people like me. He's got other things to do. He's so kind to encourage others.

KING: Do you like him, too?

V. OSTEEN: I like him so much. It's interesting, because when you talk to him, he'll come back to always say what he has learned in life, and it's truly just to love people, and just to be kind to people. It's interesting after you've lived this life -- and he didn't have it easy. People criticized him for doing good. He looks back on everything and he just says, you know, just love people. And I think that's a great legacy.

KING: Martin Luther King said love the sinner, hate the sin. Do you really live that?

J. OSTEEN: We really do.

KING: Do you love the sinner?

J. OSTEEN: I think so. There's just -- you know, when you -- I really believe you can find something good in everybody. The scripture teaches you to see the best in people. Don't see the worst. Anybody can see the bad that they're doing. But if you can find one good thing in them -- and you realize they're created in the image of God. Some people weren't raised like us. They make terrible decisions. But usually there's a reason. It's not -- maybe sometimes they're just bad people. A lot of times there's a reason.

KING: we have a new decade coming. What are the Osteens hopes for it after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KING: Any thoughts on the deaths of Chris Henry, terrific wide receiver of the Bengals?

J. OSTEEN: Our hearts go out to his family. It's a sad, sad thing. But some things you don't understand, but our prayers and hearts go out to that whole family.

KING: Houston elected a lesbian mayor? Thought?

V. OSTEEN: Well, she's been a good friend to our church. She's going to be hopefully a great mayor.

KING: She had a partner for a long time?

V. OSTEEN: You know what, I don't really know her as far as how long. But she was a good friend to our church. She was one of the council people who voted for us to get the Compaq Center. So that was great.

KING: Haven't we come a long way in that area? I know you're against same-sex area, but in the other areas of equality.

J. OSTEEN: Oh, I think so. I think so. And Anisse Parker, she ran on the issues, not a gay agenda. She served our city for many, many years. She's been a friend of our church. We wouldn't be where we are if it weren't for her.

KING: DC, Washington, passed same-sex marriage. Although you're against it, do you have a feeling it's coming?

J. OSTEEN: You know, I don't know. It seems like the majority of votes that I see, the places that have voted, voted against it. Maybe I'm not up to speed. I thought 37 states --

KING: But they're getting closer in the votes.

J. OSTEEN: I'm not necessarily afraid. It's my wish that we would keep marriage strictly between a male and a female. But I think we're a democracy and people get to vote.

KING: Do you have a resolution, Victoria? Do you make resolutions? You're a perfect couple. What do you have to resolve?

V. OSTEEN: You always want it to be new and fresh, and you hope for the very -- that it will all be good. My resolution is really to not be perfect, but to do better than I did last year.

KING: What about you, Joel?

J. OSTEEN: You know, I've set some goals for the new year.

KING: Like?

J. OSTEEN: Just ways that we can touch more people and really be focused on our time and our energy, what we give that to. And like Victoria said, to never get stuck in a rut, to never say this is good enough. I've had some success or I've gone far enough. God wants us to go further.

KING: Do you two argue?

V. OSTEEN: Not anymore.

KING: Did argue, but you don't anymore?

J. OSTEEN: We never really argued. I'm not a arguer. We may debate. We both have strong personalities. But we've learned to be respectful and debate. And, you know, at one point, we just said, we're not going to agree. But to keep it respectful. I think that's the key.

KING: Do you agree on the way the children are raised?

V. OSTEEN: We do, we do.

KING: That's important.

V. OSTEEN: That's very important.

KING: Have to be on the same wave length there.

V. OSTEEN: We agree on most everything. But there are things we each have our opinion about.

KING: We're almost out of time. Do you pinch yourself a little every day at your personal success?

J. OSTEEN: I do every day. I'm amazed sitting you here tonight. I told you, my father used to watch your every single night. He would -- I don't know what he would say to think that we had been on with you a dozen times. And just, you know, the stadiums and all that stuff, it just show me that God's dream for our life is bigger than our own.

KING: Thank you very much. J. OSTEEN: Thank you, Merry Christmas.

KING: Merry Christmas to you. Howie Mandel will be our special guest tomorrow night. He has a lot to talk about, including his personal idiosyncrasies that I think you will find fascinating. Howie Mandel tomorrow night.

We've got great musical Christmas shows coming next week, Wednesday and Friday. Right now, Anderson Cooper and "AC 360." Anderson?
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Amazing. Or maybe not. All this back and forth mumbo jumbo and not a single mention of the Gospel.
    This guy needs some serious ing for.

KING: Yeah, I understand. Joel, "Atlantic Magazine," I'm sure you heard of this, has a major story asking, did Christianity cause the crash? Did prosperity gospel preachers -- and you're called one of those --
    Joel doesn't seem to care that he is accused of peddling a "properity gospel"...

KING: The basis of Christianity, Victoria, is forgiveness, right? Isn't that hard?
    *sigh* Larry Larry....

KING: Do you get angry at hypocrisy in faith, people who say, do as I say, not as I do?

J. OSTEEN: I don't think if I get angry, but it you get disappointed. You think it just brings -- just puts all of us in a bad light.
    LOL
    J. OSTEEN: I would think so. I mean, I think the heart of God is for everybody to live healthy and whole and happy.
    I wonder what Joel thinks God's definition of "healthy" is...?

KING: What do you make of the president?

J. OSTEEN: We like the president. It's a tough job, but I had the opportunity to meet him not long ago, a coup of days ago. I found him to be sincere. He's genuine.
    Joel doesn't seem to have political discernment skills.

J. OSTEEN: I think so. There's just -- you know, when you -- I really believe you can find something good in everybody. The scripture teaches you to see the best in people. Don't see the worst. Anybody can see the bad that they're doing.
    ?? A lot of good that is going to do people when they are at the Judgment Seat, Joel!!

*Larry has had John MacArthur on quite a few times.
    I think it would be nice for him to invite Mac and Joel on for a one on one.
    We would all benefit I think.
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

GloriouslyDark Guest

Ummmmm
    Jesus??
    Hello...??
    Did he mention Jesus? I couldn't stomach reading the entire thing.

ann s. Guest

I also notice that JO never gives scripture reference....he does not back up anything...it's just says "I think"... or the bible teaches and then says something like god's heart is for us to be healthy...What????

Diane 1611 Guest

This series of quotes was quite telling:

KING: Houston elected a lesbian mayor? Thought?

V. OSTEEN: Well, she's been a good friend to our church. She's going to be hopefully a great mayor.

KING: She had a partner for a long time?

V. OSTEEN: You know what, I don't really know her as far as how long. But she was a good friend to our church. She was one of the council people who voted for us to get the Compaq Center. So that was great.

KING: Haven't we come a long way in that area? I know you're against same-sex area, but in the other areas of equality.

J. OSTEEN: Oh, I think so. I think so. And Anisse Parker, she ran on the issues, not a gay agenda. She served our city for many, many years. She's been a friend of our church. We wouldn't be where we are if it weren't for her.
    Good friend to their church? If Joel was a Bible based preacher, he would be railing against the fact that his town elected a gay mayor based on what the Bible says about homosexuality. It looks like his needs (a bigger church) came before what was right.

His Bride Guest

Default New from joel osteen.....

Open Letter to Joel Osteen #1.004 – “It’s Your Time: Activate Your Faith, Achieve Your Dreams, and Increase in God’s Favor”
    December 23, 2009

Click the post title to be taken to the source.

(New readers can click here to download the introduction and first chapter of Joel Osteen’s new book, It’s Your Time: Activate Your Faith, Achieve Your Dreams, and Increase in God’s Favor.)

Chapter 1: You’re Closer Than You Think!

Page 4

+ “Amber Corson was a stay-at-home mom with three young children. When her husband was laid off from his Florida construction job as the economy soured, Amber had to take a night-shift job to help support the family.”

This is a very common story these days.

- “Amber felt like God had bigger plans for her family than to struggle. She prayed on that drive home. “God, please tell me what I can do to get my family through this.” She said His response came to her “like a breath.” “I gave you a gift. Go plant gardens. Do your heart’s work.””

A couple of things here:

1. “…bigger plans for her family than to struggle.” This is terribly problematic. If God’s will is sovereign over our circumstances (and Scripture supports the idea so many times that I will not point to any particular references), than He has “no bigger plan” for us when He wills for us to struggle. Amber has an entitlement mentality, and her thinking is contra-biblical, yet you’re using the woman’s experience as support for your Christian book?

2. Anyone who believe that they must be hearing from God when they believe they’ve heard an audible message spoken to them in private has forgotten one important fact:

Demons also have the capacity to make audible their instructions to us.

(For further examination, read Pastor Bob DeWaay’s excellent articles on the subject by clicking here and here.)

? “She had a natural talent for making things grow…She prayed on it…She called her landscaping business Eden Paradise Gardens. It grew quickly and flourished beyond anything she had dreamed. It was her time!”

Yes. It was her time to follow advice from either an omniscient God or a knowledgeable demon. (Either could have known about her green thumb.)

Unfortunately, we can’t know with any certainty that Amber was not under the direction of demonic counsel, yet you write as with certainty that she received a word from God.

- “God wants to breathe new life into your dreams. He wants to breathe new hope into your heart. You may be about to give up on a marriage, on a troubled child, on a lifelong goal. But God wants you to hold on. He says that if you’ll get your second wind, if you’ll put on a new attitude and press forward like you’re headed down the final stretch, you’ll see Him begin to do amazing things.”

Really? Where in the Bible does it say that I can change my attitude so easily, all in my own strength? Chapter and verse, please!

+ / - “Tune out the negative messages. Quit telling yourself: I’m never landing back on my feet financially. I’m never breaking this addiction. I’m never landing a better job. Instead, your declarations should be: I am closer than I think. I can raise this child. I can overcome this sickness. I can make this business work. I know I can find a new job.”

Tuning out those negative messages is important, but there’s a problem with your declarations:

I, I, I, I, I.

Whatever happened to looking to God, not for our outcomes, but for His provision while He unfolds the outcomes for our lives?

“I can overcome this sickness.” What if God wills that I die of cancer six months from now? How can my puny will outmatch that of an omnipotent God who will do whatever He wills? (See Eph. 1:11.)

“I can make this business work.” Not if God closes the doors, I can’t.

Now, before I go any further, I have to confess: I’m an optimist. I sincerely believe that when God closes one door, He opens another.

I’m also a realist. If God ends a life, that person enters into one of two eternities. If He closes a business, He may be convincing someone to consider a change of vocation. But these bad events have their particular place and purpose in our lives…yet you know talk about that.

Romans 8:28: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

As Paul is writing to the church in Rome in his day, this verse clearly only applies to believers in Christ. You did know that, right?

- Psalm 30:5 says that weeping may endure for a night, but I know joy is coming in the morning.”

You missed something vital in Psalm 30:5, that being the first half of the verse.

“For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime.” (ESV)

Clearly, the recipients of God’s favor and joy are God’s children, the nation of Israel. Every believer in Christ can claim the same for themselves. You write, though, as though these promises are extended to every person who ever lived. How is it that God’s anger is momentary for the unbeliever who will endure an eternity in a lake of fire?

- “When you’re a prisoner of something, it’s like you’re chained to it. You can’t get away from it. I know people who are prisoners of fear, prisoners of worry, prisoners of doubt. You’ve heard them. “Nothing good ever happens to me.’ ‘It’s never changing, Joel. It’s just been too long.’”

Unfortunately, we’re chained to one thing that is the very root of all of our problems and you never talk about it: SIN.

One wonders if you’ll get around to talking about it at all…

(For new readers, my earlier analyses of Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile (by Rob Bell and Don Golden) is available for free download. Simply click on my title, Clear as a Bell, and decide for yourself whether or not Bell’s teachings match those found in God’s Word.)

http://www.reformata.org/

carolina_guy Guest

Way to go, Joel.

His Bride Guest

"Increase in God's favor." .......Too bad Joel doesn't understand that those of us who have died to our sins and been covered by the blood of Christ are seen as perfect and righteous in God's eyes. That's more than we could ever deserve or hope for!

Once again, time to starting preaching the cross, sin, and repentance, Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane 1611 View Post
    This series of quotes was quite telling:

Good friend to their church? If Joel was a Bible based preacher, he would be railing against the fact that his town elected a gay mayor based on what the Bible says about homosexuality. It looks like his needs (a bigger church) came before what was right.
    Yes, he did not deny being a Prosperity preacher.
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Quote Originally Posted by His Bride View Post
    Chapter 1: You’re Closer Than You Think!

- “Amber felt like God had bigger plans for her family than to struggle. She prayed on that drive home. “God, please tell me what I can do to get my family through this.” She said His response came to her “like a breath.” “I gave you a gift. Go plant gardens. Do your heart’s work.””

- “God wants to breathe new life into your dreams. He wants to breathe new hope into your heart. You may be about to give up on a marriage, on a troubled child, on a lifelong goal. But God wants you to hold on. He says that if you’ll get your second wind, if you’ll put on a new attitude and press forward like you’re headed down the final stretch, you’ll see Him begin to do amazing things.”

“I can overcome this sickness.”

“I can make this business work.”
    Nice try, joel, well not really that nice.

There is One King, and He is not this guy.