Thread: No tall tale: Dubai to open world's highest tower

Default No tall tale: Dubai to open world's highest tower

(I'm just curious as to what may happen to this city as the economy continues to tank? )

By ADAM SCHRECK, Associated Press Writer Adam Schreck, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 3 mins ago

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates Dubai is set to open the world's tallest building amid tight security on Monday, celebrating the tower as a bold feat on the world stage despite the city state's shaky financial footing.

But the final height of the Burj Dubai Arabic for Dubai Tower remained a closely guarded secret on the eve of its opening. At more than 2,625 feet (800 meters), it long ago vanquished its nearest rival, the Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

The Burj's record-seeking developers didn't stop there.

The building boasts the most stories and highest occupied floor of any building in the world, and ranks as the world's tallest structure, beating out a television mast in North Dakota. Its observation deck on floor 124 also sets a record.

"We weren't sure how high we could go," said Bill Baker, the building's structural engineer, who is in Dubai for the inauguration. "It was kind of an exploration. ... A learning experience"

Baker, of Chicago-based architecture and engineering firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, said early designs for the Burj had it edging out the world's previous record-holder, the Taipei 101, by about 33 feet (10 meters). The Taiwan tower rises 1,667 feet (508 meters).

The Burj's developer, Emaar Properties, kept pushing the design higher even after construction began, eventually putting it about 984 feet (300 meters) taller than its nearest competitor, Baker said. He is keeping quiet about the exact height.

Dubai's ruler will open the tapering metal-and-glass spire with a fireworks display Monday evening.

Security is expected to be tight. Local newspapers quoted Maj. Gen. Mohammed Eid al-Mansouri, head of the protective security and emergency unit for Dubai Police, saying more than 1,000 security personnel, including plainclothes police and sharpshooters, will be deployed to secure the site for the opening.

Work on the Burj Dubai began in 2004 and continued rapidly. At times, new floors were being added almost every three days, reflecting Dubai's raging push to reshape itself over a few years from a small-time desert outpost into a cosmopolitan urban giant packed with skyscrapers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100103/...llest_building

Modern day Tower of Babyl...
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
    Joshua 1:9

Zerozx Guest

Default World's tallest tower opens in debt-hit Dubai

link: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS....ft/index.html

Dubai (FT) -- Dubai will on Monday open the world's largest tower as the city seeks to revitalise its economy after 2009's annus horribilis was capped by a debt crisis and a second $10bn bail-out loan from neighbouring Abu Dhabi.

The government hopes the unveiling of the 160-plus storey structure will pierce the cloud that has lingered over Dubai since it was forced to accept further financial support from the capital of the United Arab Emirates and investors turned their backs on the city, once the darling of international finance.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, after navigating the worst crisis in his four years as ruler of Dubai, will lead a day of celebrations to unveil the residential, hotel and office building, which offers views across the Gulf to Iran.

For a city founded on superlatives, the achievement of delivering Burj Dubai's half-mile high tower in six years is triggering a wave of hyperbole that has not been silenced by last month's crisis of confidence over the city's $100bn debt mountain. The official news agency called it "another unique achievement by Dubai to be added to the pages of humanity's modern history".

Shares in Emaar, the tower's developer, rose almost 8 per cent to Dh4.16 on the optimistic sentiment, helping Dubai's bellwether stock recover to pre-crisis levels after plunging to Dh2.56 a month ago.

About 90 per cent of units have been sold in Burj Dubai, which will welcome inhabitants to the Giorgio Armani-designed residencies from February, while the world's first Armani Hotel will open in March.

Prices in the tower -- which were the highest in the Dubai property market when the residences went on sale in 2007 -- have held up in spite of the 50 per cent crash across the city, including the surrounding developments of Downtown Burj Dubai.

For Dubai's defenders and critics, Burj Dubai is either an engineering marvel or a stark reminder of the commercial hub's excesses.

Roy Cherry, analyst with Shuaa Capital in Dubai, said the truth lies somewhere between the two. "It is a fantastic building and a great achievement for Emaar, but Dubai's dreams and challenges remain greater than any one building."

Last month's bail-out loan eased default concerns, but Dubai's reputation as a global financial centre remains tarnished after the sloppy restructuring of Dubai World's $22bn distressed debt pile, a process that will dominate much of the outlook for 2010.

Economists say Dubai has fallen into a painful recession after years of 15 per cent growth came to a halt as the real estate bubble burst. The simultaneous rise in capacity, carried over from the city's grandiose boom-time plans, is now squeezing margins and bringing down prices.

That may be painful for investors who bought into the mirage of the city's ever-ascending spiral, but hope can be found in a more affordable Dubai underpinning the city's allure as a services hub for the affluent Gulf region.

As the region's prospects brighten with the rising oil price, Emaar -- which has retained 10 per cent of the tower's units for sale in the coming months -- is betting that Dubai's infrastructure, epitomised by Burj Dubai and the newly opened Metro network, will allow it to ride a recovery and shake off its debt woes.

There is no way I would want an office at the top of this building!

As I have gotten older I have developed a bit of a fear of heights. The thing looks like a stiff wind would topple it.

SPYDYR Guest

Let'em build it to the moon. Let'em build it to heaven. We all know what happened to the last bunch who thought it was a good idea to do the impossible and try to rise above a flood and be as high as G-d.

This time I don't think he will be quite as forgiving and just make them speak new languages... Something tells me He's gonna level that building along with every other modern day Ziggeraut, and mountain, and hill. Then again I would say that would be the least of the worlds worries when it happened.

Seemomgonuts Guest

How tall was the tower of Babel? Anyone know?

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Dubai is set to open the world's tallest building amid tight security on Monday, celebrating the tower as a bold feat on the world stage despite the city state's shaky financial footing.
    Knocking it down would be excellent payback for 911.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

Sari Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seemomgonuts View Post
    How tall was the tower of Babel? Anyone know?
    I checked in the Bible and I did not see anything saying how tall it was.

I don't think this building will last very long.
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel1210 View Post

They are putting a mosque on one of the top floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel1210 View Post
    Repay an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?

This on a Christian board?

FrankBeMe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WVBORN56 View Post
    There is no way I would want an office at the top of this building!
    Me either. I've been ontop the Empire State Building and the John Hancock building....those were scary enough. This thing..no way!

Zerozx Guest

-

If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have charity, I am nothing. 1 Co 13:2

regionsteve Guest

Been to the top of the Sears Tower and Hancock Building in Chicago...i couldn't even imagine how scary high this one is!

I have to say that this is probably the most high-tech engineering ever done on a building of any kind. They literally have this thing controlled at its base by huge shocks or pneumatic servos that control the building's movement and keep it erect under winds and stresses. I have a big photo of it from the Dallas newspaper and it is quite spectacular looking. They bought the farm on this thing and now they need to make it recoup some money, so it's thousands of dollars to rent a room for a night.

Wow.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.