Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: False Teachers and what happens to them

Default False Teachers and what happens to them

I have for some reason been being exposed to many many false teachers lately.
    And i notice that many if not all of them name the name of Jesus and God in their preaching.
    This includes Catholics and people like Junaita Bynum and Benny Hinn and many others.
    Now I have some questions about these people.
    Are they saved for the most part ,but just getting a few things wrong?
    I mean they name the name Jesus and say PRAISE JESUS AND GLORY TO JESUS and all this stuff.
    So what is the deal here?

look at this scripture.

Romans 10...9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

I consider myself pretty well versed on the truth but I am at a loss here.
    Some of these false teachers I remember my grandma watching and even sending money to when i was a little kid.
    People like Pat Robertson she thought was so wonderful.
    But my grandma was a humble loving grandma who told me about Jesus when i was a kid.
    And i know for a fact that my grandma is saved and in heaven now.
    I love my grandma so much that if she went to hell because she had a wrong idea of the gospel because of some false teacher that i want to go to hell to.
    I don't want to go to heaven if God just gives people over to these false teachers.
    Im sick of it all and im getting angry again.
    If this is all for real than i think maybe their have only been 2 or 3 people in all human history who were really saved.
    How many people are being led astray?
    And will these mindless sheepfold be forgiven for that and only these false teachers really be condemned.
    Or will the people in the crowds be condemned along with the Kenneth Copland's and Kenneth Hagan's
    and catholic Popes and Oprah Winfreys?

Im looking for some serious explanation concerning the false teachers.

I think they are of the case of preaching another Jesus, another gospel. The Greek original of another Jesus is better translated as "another Jesus of the same kind" but another gospel is "another gospel of a different kind", which means that the "same kind" of Jesus recognized is just the same as the biblical Jesus - it is entirely likely the errorenous Jesus they believe may just be divine as well, but the gospel is definitely not the gospel of the Bible.

I believe what this teaches is that the gospel will be very different even though the Jesus they preach may look like the Jesus of the New Testament (but obviously a different one as well).

turtle, I, too, have family who watches one of the false teachers on TV. Christians are still fallen creatures who can be deceived by people who know the 'lingo'. It sounds like your grandma was very sincere and thought she was doing something that was pleasing to God when she sent money to the preachers.

For the most part, it's better to turn off the radio/TV, no matter how 'good' the guy sounds. There are a few well known preachers out there who are biblically solid, but so many people who make a practice of listening/watching public preaching aren't discerning enough to know who's for real and who isn't, because they aren't searching the Scriptures as a berean.
    Better to spend the time in God's Word with the Holy Spirit as Teacher, then you don't have to worry about deception/error.

candlelight Guest

Default What is a False Teacher by John MacArthur

What is a False Teacher?
    5 Characteristics of False Teachers

By John MacArthur
    When I sat down and just started writing out Characteristics of False Teachers, these are the things that showed up on my list: Pride, Selfishness, Deception, Irreverence, and Destruction. Those would be probably the First Five Features of False Teachers that would be on my list of the, say, a DOZEN or so. Here are the First 5 Characteristics of a False Teacher:

1 - False Teachers are Proud - PRIDE
    They are concerned for their own Popularity. They are concerned for their own Fame. They are concerned for their own Notoriety. They are concerned for their own Prestige. They’re concerned to See themselves and Hear themselves in the Public Eye. They want Large Crowds, as it were, to bow down in great homage to them. They’re Characterized by Pride and they will do anything to gain the ground they need to gain for the welfare of their own Personal Ego, including any amount of Compromise necessary.

2 - False Teachers are Characterized by Selfishness - SELFISHNESS
    They tend to be Self-Centered. They are concerned for their own Comfort. They are concerned for their own Popularity. They are concerned for their own Prosperity. In the end, it’s all about Money, Fame, and Prestige and Notoriety equals an increased Bank Account. They are in it for the Money and the Personal material benefits that they can gain as they endeavor to feed their Selfish Desires.

3 - They are Characterized by Deception - DECEPTION
    They usually can weave a very sophisticated web of Deception in their Teaching because they tend to be Articulate, if they’re going to be Successful, and they endeavor to engage other people to aid them in their deceitful enterprise which gives it the, sort of, facade of credibility.

4 - They’re Irreverent - IRREVERENT
    If there’s anything that sort of dominates in my thinking about False Teachers, it is their Irreverence. They have absolutely no regard for God. The fact that they would go against God, that they would elevate themselves the way they do, that they would Pervert the Truth indicates their utter Irreverence. They have little, if any, regard for God, His Word, His Truth, His Glory, His Honor…

5 - They are Spiritually Destructive - DESTRUCTIVE
    They seek to Use People; they seek to Abuse People. They seek to Lead People into Error, which destroys them—into Sin, which Pollutes Them.

So, as you look at False Teachers—

With regard to the WORLD, they are Proud and they seek Fame and Popularity.

With regard to THEMSELVES, they are Self-centered, Selfish, Self-aggrandizing, Self-gratifying.

With regard to the NATURE OF THEIR MINISTRY, they are Dishonest and Deceptive and Lack Integrity.

With regard to God, they are utterly Irreverent; in fact, they are Blasphemous. And,

With regard to the PEOPLE THAT THEY INFLUENCE, they are Spiritually Destructive.

So, their Relationship to the WORLD, their Relationship to the MINISTRY, their relationship to THEMSELVES, their Relationship to GOD, their Relationship to THEIR PEOPLE all reflects the DEVIATION OF THEIR HEARTS.

What Are The Characteristics of a True Minister?
    On the other hand, if you were to write a list of Characteristics of the True Minister, a True Pastor, a True Shepherd, a True Preacher, a Faithful Pastor…you would start by saying he is Humble and then you probably would say he is Lovingly Sacrificial, instead of Selfish. He is Honest and has Integrity, rather than Deceptive. And, he is Reverent and Worships and Honors God, rather than being Irreverent. And, he is Spiritually Strengthening and Edifying. You would be right. Remember now, Paul is writing, in defining his own Attitudes here, against the background of these False Teachers whose Attitudes should have become obvious to the people in Corinth. A Faithful Pastor is Humble, Unselfish, Honest, Reverent, and Spiritually Edifying, just the opposite of False Teachers.

EXCERPTS FROM— "CONCERNS OF A TRUE PASTOR: HUMILITY AND SELFLESSNESS"
    COPYRIGHTT © BY JOHN F MACARTHUR, JR / GTY.org ® 1998 / GRACE TO YOU MINISTRIES

I love this article! I think that many false teachers are deceived themselves!
    1 Thessalonians 5:4 (New International Version)

4But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

iluvmycat Guest

Default What happens to False Teachers?

I also think that Joel Osteen and Ed Young Jr. were separated at birth.
    Their teaching styles seem to be VERY similar except that Joel might be a little bit more interesting.

Both make me sick. their "churches" are nothing but money making machines.

His Bride Guest

1 Timothy 4
    Instructions to Timothy
    1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

6If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

9This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance 10(and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

They are here and they will continue to appear to deceive others who are not grounded in the Word of God.

candlelight Guest

I really like John also. Here is a series on false teacher's that is from 1985 and 1987. This was before all the emergent, seeker friendly hogwash. It is a great series.

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Sermon+Series/174

candlelight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by His Bride View Post
    1 Timothy 4
    Instructions to Timothy
    1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

6If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

9This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance 10(and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

They are here and they will continue to appear to deceive others who are not grounded in the Word of God.
    Great answer and scripture Heather!

His Bride Guest

Quote Originally Posted by twisty58 View Post
    I love this article! I think that many false teachers are deceived themselves!
    Some are, certainly, and I find that so incredible......they just refuse to read, study and listen to the Word of God. It's a choice......

.....doesn't it always come down to choice??????????????????

Matthew 7 speaks of false teachers and prophets...verses 15-23 warn us:

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Matthew 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Matthew 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Matthew 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

According to those verses, not everyone who "professes" Christ is saved....in verse 23, Jesus Himself says that He NEVER knew them...which means these false teachers and prophets never had a relationship with Him. He didn't say that He knew them at one time....He specifically states that He NEVER knew them.

Romans 16:17 says to "mark" those false teachers and "avoid" them!

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Fantastic article!
    Semper Fi! Always faithful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The last part is key ...
    For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
    Acts 20:29-30 (KJV)
    Their end (unless they repent) ...
    Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Matthew 7:21-23 (KJV)

iluvmycat Guest

I think another sign of a false teacher is that they can't back up what they say with scripture. they mention the Old and New Testament, Bible says this, Bible says that but they can't mention the exact scripture.

2PE 2:17 These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity--for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

iluvmycat Guest

What happens to the people who attend these churches that listen to this garbage spewed from the mouths of the false teachers?

stephanividrine Guest

i cant recall excatly but i remeber jesus had said to his followers that those preachers let them be as long people are getting saved anyone know what verse i am talking about??? steph

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmycat View Post
    What happens to the people who attend these churches that listen to this garbage spewed from the mouths of the false teachers?
    I used to worship at the feet of Joyce Meyer instead of Jesus Christ. Some of us wise up and leave. Keep trying to get the Word out.

Ok, busy mommy here so I'm not able to find the scripture, but I think you might be referring to Paul.

He talks about how he's in chains preaching and that others are preaching Christ, but out of selfish motivations seeking to make him more uncomfortable in his chains and also for their own gain. Paul, however says that as long as the gospel is preached (not new age garbage or deceptive theology mind you) whether from selfish motivation or not...then he's content. God will still use the message for good.

Quote Originally Posted by I Believe!!! View Post
    Ok, busy mommy here so I'm not able to find the scripture, but I think you might be referring to Paul.

He talks about how he's in chains preaching and that others are preaching Christ, but out of selfish motivations seeking to make him more uncomfortable in his chains and also for their own gain. Paul, however says that as long as the gospel is preached (not new age garbage or deceptive theology mind you) whether from selfish motivation or not...then he's content. God will still use the message for good.
    To start off with Paul is talking about the TRUE GOSPEL not an adulterated version that takes away the Divinity of Christ or whatever lie or falsehood they twist in with the Truth.

What Paul is saying preaching the TRUE GOSPEL for financial gain or for fame etc.. is OK because the thing that is the problem is their reason for preaching the Gospel not what they preach. Note Paul indicates they preach Christ, not a lie.

PHP 1:15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
    Please note the Bible tells us what God says about those who teach a FALSE GOSPEL. They will be dealth with by GOD and the Bible also tells us that the False Teachings actually lead people astray they do not SAVE. Note the difference between those that preach for wrong motives and those who are FALSE Teachers. The FALSE Teachers DENY CHRIST. The other thing to note is their teaching is described as DESTRUCTIVE.

2PE 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
    JUDE 1:3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. 4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
    False Teachers are dangerous and destructive their aim is to lead people away from Christ.