Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hpv

Default Hpv

My daughter brought home a paper from school yesterday that was sent out by the state. It was encouraging parents to have their daughters vaccinated against the Human Papillomavirus. I understand the "pro's" of having the vaccine, but I would like to hear (or find a site that tells about) the "con's" of the vaccine.

First, what really ARE the "pros" to getting the vaccine? It supposedly prevents SOME strains of the virus, but far from all. HPV is virtually 100% preventable, as it is transmitted sexually. And I've read that there is actually no direct proof that HPV causes cervical cancer (whenever you see that claim, there's usually a "might" in there). Sorry, I don't remember where I read it. There are likely many cons to this vaccine that we don't even know about yet. Several girls have already died shortly after receiving the vaccine and others have been hospitalized.

We need to raise our kids not to have sex outside of marriage!

Lots of reasons NOT to have the shots. I don't see any reasons TO have the shots.

Newborn Guest

This vaccination is too new. Who knows what will happen to the vaccinated girls ten years from now. I'd avoid it like the plague. Stay safe.

wife Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCry View Post
    First, what really ARE the "pros" to getting the vaccine? It supposedly prevents SOME strains of the virus, but far from all. HPV is virtually 100% preventable, as it is transmitted sexually. And I've read that there is actually no direct proof that HPV causes cervical cancer (whenever you see that claim, there's usually a "might" in there). Sorry, I don't remember where I read it. There are likely many cons to this vaccine that we don't even know about yet. Several girls have already died shortly after receiving the vaccine and others have been hospitalized.

We need to raise our kids not to have sex outside of marriage!

Lots of reasons NOT to have the shots. I don't see any reasons TO have the shots.
    you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Sing4Him Guest

AllforHim Guest

Theres no way my daughter is getting this

I have been seeing the ads for the vaccine on tv for a while now, but did not actually pay that much attention to them. When dd got the paper encouraging the vaccine, I decided to check out what it actually was. So far the majority of things that I have seen has promoted the vaccine. I agree with all of you that it is too soon and too risky. My dd won't be getting the vaccine. I was curious though if anyone else felt the same way.

GodsGirl,

I am honestly wondering what ARE the alleged reasons presented FOR getting this vaccine? I've briefly seen the TV ads, but it's all emotional hype -- teen girls are saying they could be "one less" or whatever woman getting cervical cancer? There's a HUUUUUGGGGGGGGGE gap between a healthy sexually abstinent girl and a grown woman with cervical cancer. There's been so little actual evidence provided that this vaccine does ANYTHING to prevent this disease.

What are the reasons for getting this vaccine as presented on the paperwork from your daughter's school? I am curious, that's all.

I have a girlfriend who has HPV. Not all of us knew Christ before we got married or had sex for the first time. She has to get a pap smear every six months now because the virus has already started to mutate the cells in her cervix. She has already had to have one biopsy and she is only 29. You would also have to hope that the man that your dd decides to marry is a virgin as well, because something like 90% of males who have had sex are carriers of the virus (and they display NO symptoms).

I for one will have my dd get the vaccination. I don't know whether or not she'll stray from the Lord as a teenager or in college (lots do) and I would rather do what I can to protect her from cervical cancer (even though I will be teaching her to save herself for marraige, etc).

I am only 28 (my dd is going to be 2) and I didn't know one girl who was still a virgin when I graduated high school. My husband comes from a christian family and both his brothers and he had sex before marriage. I pray and pray that we raise her the way the Lord wants us to and she decides to not have sex before marriage, but I also want to protect her.

Kathe Guest

My son and his wife were both virgins when they married in Feb of this year. This drug has not been tested nearly long enough, especially to be giving it to children.

Kathe

wife Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kathe View Post
    My son and his wife were both virgins when they married in Feb of this year. This drug has not been tested nearly long enough, especially to be giving it to children.

Kathe
    me and hubby too

topekaclark Guest

I took our dd 11 years of age for her regular physical. They offered us that shot. I told them no, she's 11. The doctor is nice but went through why they should get it. I looked at my dd and ask if you should have sex as a teenager, her answer, "No, not outside of marriage",,, that's my girl.

The doctor told me she needs it two different times and that as she gets older in the next few years I need to have her vaccinated. I guess she felt really strong and I feel really strong in the other direction.

Now, if she gets older and strays from God then yes. I have put all my children into God's hand and I believe if I raise them as the bible says too, then they will not stray.

Just because you get the shots does not mean that you will not get some form of HPV and later cancer.

This shot only covers 'some' strains.

With the health issues of some children and the deaths of others, if my kids were of age I would not be getting the shots because we do not know the long term problems it could pose.

Remember back in what was it the 50s when all women were given a shot and those womens's DDs came down with cancer and were unable to have children.

Not all children have premarital sex before marriage. Praise the Lord that all 3 of mine made it until after the preacher said, "Let me introduce to you Mr & Mrs" (the oldest was 25)

This shot has been rushed to market too soon for my way of thinking for them to be demanding that 'all 11 yr olds should get it'.........It would not be the first time 'test subjects' have been used. (I for one was one when my DH was in the navy. We were given a lot of ultrasounds during that yr I was pregnant with my first. Come to find out they were doing a medical study on the safety of the ultrasounds to the mothers and babies.)

I agree with those of you who say NO to this shot. Not nearly enough is known about it, especially long term side effects.

Look at the outrage now over mercury based shots, and how many believe autism is caused by these. And every doctor I knew was pushing for these shots for my kids.

I believe we need to know a lot more before agreeing to these.
    Also, I pray that my daughter will remain pure before marriage...she sure knows a lot of the negatives of having sex before marriage, including the fact that you could possibly die from HIV/AIDS. I think that fact alone will keep her pure, as well as her knowing Jesus as her first love.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that is within us, to HIM BE GLORY!"Eph. 3:20, 21

I was thinking about this this afternoon. This part of it may sound harsh to some, but I'll say it anyway . . . YES, we all hope and pray that our children wait to have sex until marriage . . . and think that "if they don't, this vaccine will give them added protection" (kind of like the whole "don't have sex but if you do use a condom" approach). My question is, what about allowing them to reap the consequences of making poor choices? In other words, suppose a child does stray from God's will and have sex and get HPV -- that would be the natural consequence of their behavior. How far should we go to keep them from "reaping what they sow"?

Just asking for the sake of discussion -- not trying to start a fight!

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCry View Post
    I was thinking about this this afternoon. This part of it may sound harsh to some, but I'll say it anyway . . . YES, we all hope and pray that our children wait to have sex until marriage . . . and think that "if they don't, this vaccine will give them added protection" (kind of like the whole "don't have sex but if you do use a condom" approach). My question is, what about allowing them to reap the consequences of making poor choices? In other words, suppose a child does stray from God's will and have sex and get HPV -- that would be the natural consequence of their behavior. How far should we go to keep them from "reaping what they sow"?

Just asking for the sake of discussion -- not trying to start a fight!
    I don't think it's like saying, "don't have sex, but if you do here's some birth control". There are so many STD's, which are incredibly common, or pregancy which I think are consequences enough. If my child does stray from the Lord and choses to have premarital sex, I would have liked to know that I tried to protect her from one thing that could cause her total agony or death (either from the cancer treatment or from the cancer itself). (I realize that there are several strains of HPV and cervical cancer) If there was a vaccination for HIV I would give her that as well. I don't think anyone deserves an STD, no matter how permiscuous (sp?) they were/are.

TravisandJill Guest

As long as you dont live in West Virginia or Mississippi you can get an exemption from this vaccine. We are holding off on vaccines because we felt pressed to do so by the Holy Spirit.

HSmomto4 Guest

If you want to give this to your child fine. I don't.

The vaccine is supposed to be designed for females age 9 to 26. I do not believe that my 11 year old needs to be rushed to the dr. for this vaccine. If at some point in the future there is a need for the vaccine we will consider our options, but until then I am going to wait and see what side effects, if any, occur to those who have already taken it.

graceforme Guest

I heard on the news about a school (I can't remember where) that is requiring that young girls have this vaccine. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to have it as a child, nor will I encourage her to receive it now - she's 24. I have HPV and the resulting problems are serious, but a vaccine that is not proven to prevent anything, nor has been shown to be completely safe, isn't a way that I would want to go.

BTW, I have been married for 25 years and have had a completely monogamous relationship with my dh for all these years. My HPV was only discovered a year ago. It lays dormant for many years before rearing its ugly head, but I will be dealing with the results for the rest of my life.