Thread: Nertherlands Reformed Church/Is it a cult?

candlelight Guest

Default Nertherlands Reformed Church/Is it a cult?

I am curious as to what some of you may think of the Netherlands Reformed Church. Living in West Michigan and being from Grand Rapids, the area was heavily settled by the Dutch. There is the Reformed, Christian Reformed, Protestant Reformed and then the Netherland's Reformed. The level of strictness starting with the Reformed and ending with the Netherland's Reformed. I will post one of their church websites (Netherland's Reformed). I think they do believe in the Trinity (not exactly sure though). At any rate we just got a new participant at the elderly day care where I work. She does not read, watch TV, listen to any kind of music etc. because that is sin. Where she lives she has a telephone line that is directly linked to the church and that is the only thing she does or outside communication she has. I also had a friend who was Netherlands Reformed (she married into it) and I remember her FIL threatening to tell the church they had a TV and if the church found out they would not be able to get their youngest child baptized. I am certain the Netherland's church believes in the diety of Christ, but it seems they do things to control the people in their congregations. I know the Jehovah Witnesses, Mormon's atc. do not believe in the diety, but is that the only thing that makes them a cult or are their other factor's, such as control etc? Not exactly talking about mind control either, but control of which I write. The Protestant Reformed are very strict also and I used to know a gal who started dating a young man that was Christian Reformed, Her Dad who was a Pastor at one of the Protestant Reformed churches disowned her because she was dating a Christian Reformed. The Reformed and Christian Reformed do not seem to be the same as the Preotestant Reformed or the Netherland's Reformed. Pastor Schuller is Christian Reformed I believe, but he is the EXCEPTION to the rule and the real Christian Reformed are not in the least like him or his church. Sorry this is so long, but had to explain these things first.

http://www.nrcrws.org/

She does not read, watch TV, listen to any kind of music etc. because that is sin.
    That tells me enough. Sounds like a bunch of control freaks camouflaged as a "church".
    Way, way back when the Puritans came to America for religious freedom, or so the story goes. Since these guys are Reformed, they claim roots to the Puritans, right? Granted their Dutch and not English, but sounds like the same breed of cat. Is there really any difference between groups like this and the Taliban, or islamic religious police? And I'm sure these guys would tell everyone that they are not legalistic.
    If I remember right, Rhode Island was founded because Roger Williams wanted real religious freedom, free of the Puritans.
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

candlelight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel1210 View Post
    That tells me enough. Sounds like a bunch of control freaks camouflaged as a "church".
    Way, way back when the Puritans came to America for religious freedom, or so the story goes. Since these guys are Reformed, they claim roots to the Puritans, right? Granted their Dutch and not English, but sounds like the same breed of cat. Is there really any difference between groups like this and the Taliban, or islamic religious police? And I'm sure these guys would tell everyone that they are not legalistic.
    If I remember right, Rhode Island was founded because Roger Williams wanted real religious freedom, free of the Puritans.
    I think you are right Daniel, I think they adhere to a lot of the Puritan ways. I remember on Sunday's my Friend and her family would go to church on Sunday's in the morning and then in the afternoon. They did not go out of the house on Sunday's. On the other day's of the week they drank like fish and her Husband who was raised in the Netherland's Reformed Church had the filthiest mouth I ever heard. I figured it was rebellion in how he was raised int he church. BTW. I just remembered they do not believe in vaccinating their kids, although many do (of course they do not tell this to anyone in the church). Not to many years back one of the toddler's in church got Whooping cough. Guess I do not understand this mindset?

Default no

Actually they are a Christian Church that off shooted from Christianity about 50 after Martin Luthur did his 95 Thesis. Look for a show called the History of Christianity it is a six part tv show from BBC and they go into the different braches of Christianity. They were strict there was no music,dancing or anything else becas.
    Here is the wikipedia link. They are more a Calvinist church

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherland_Reformed_Church

Shadow Girl Guest

I have a friend that lives there that is a wiccan. They just don't have very good churches there.