Thread: Need help with cabbage rolls

Default Need help with cabbage rolls

I REALLY want to make good cabbage rolls but can find no direction. I think it is a conspiracy. Everybody I know that can make great cabbage rolls will not share their secret. I can't even find a good recipe on the internet. It is always, well you just add a bit of this and a bit of that.....

Some people say it is the cabbage, some say freeze the cabbage..etc.

Is there anyone on this board that is gracious enough to share a good cabbage roll recipe?

God bless you if you will and many thanks from my family.

This is the website for Taste of Home. They also publish a magazine (I have a large collection) and all of the recipes are Tried N True from everyday homemakers:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearc...hdrbox-Recipes

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Cabbage-Rolls

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Cabbage-Rolls-2

I hope this helps you.

Ann
    Psa 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Too Blessed to be depressed!!!!

I just want you to know that if I had a cabbage recipe- I Would share it. Good luck.

sweet rose Guest

My mom always made GREAT cabbage rolls. She would use the - handful of this and it looks like it needs method.
    Usually a spring cabbage is better because it is a softer cabbage or a Savoy but Mom used what was in season. Use a pot larger than the cabbage, add enough water to cover head approx. Bring water to boiling and gently add a cabbage head with the core removed so that leaves can be separated, let sit a few minutes and gently attempt to peel off a leaf without tearing. The large leaves will need to be cut in half along the spine.

1 med. onion til golden
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 cup or more washed rice.
    Paprika (1T + -)
    Salt
    Pepper
    the inner head of cabbage that was too small to use - chop finely to be added to the mixture.
    1 clove garlic (optional) minced
    Tomato sauce

All above measurements approximate.
    Mix the above so that the rice and meat mix look 1/2&1/2
    add tomato sauce so that the mix is not dry and holds together adjust salt and pepper to taste.
    Take and add a heaping spoonful to each 1/2 leaf and roll tucking the ends in.
    When cooking cover with tomato juice or 1/2 sauce and water.
    My Mom would cut slab bacon into cubes 1/2" x1/2 " and put one chunk of bacon along with a pitted prune into each cabbage roll. This gave the rolls added flavour and dimension that plain do not have. The above measurements are so personal to each person that makes them - I add salt and pepper to the cooking juice along with some sugar.
    Cook 350* 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.
    I hope this works for you - any questions - ask and I 'll try my best to answer.

candlelight Guest

Got this recipe from a Polish lady and they call the Galumpkis. This is a good one. I use a little caraway seeds in mine.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
    large head cabbage
    1 pound ground chuck
    1/3 cup rice, raw, can use instant or regular
    1 small onion, grated
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 large can (15 ounces) tomato sauce or tomato soup
    3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
    3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice (1 large lemon)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar

Remove about 15 large leaves from the cabbage; cut off very thick part of each leaf. Pour boiling water over the cabbage to wilt the leaves.
    Preheat oven to 350.
    Combine ground chuck with the rice, grated onion, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place a mound of meat mixture in cupped part of each softened cabbage leaf. Fold over sides of cabbage leaf; roll up. In bottom of Dutch oven, place a few of the remaining leaves. Arrange layers of cabbage rolls, seam side down, and sliced onions in a Dutch oven or large casserole. Pour on tomato sauce, tomatoes, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil on stove top. Sprinkle with brown sugar, to taste. Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 2 hours longer.

sweet rose Guest

Just something to think about - the more meat the heavier the cabbage rolls - we have found that if the equivalent amount of rice to meat is used the rolls are lighter. Something for you to think about and decide for yourself.

You guys are the best! I will give these recipes a try and thank you very much .

Sandy1950 Guest

I like to use Napa Cabbage when I make cabbage rolls. I like to steam the cabbage for a few minutes until it's soft enough to work with and the Napa Cabbage just makes it really easy.

1 head of Napa Cabbage
    1 beaten egg
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 cup cooked rice

for sauce
    1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Steam cabbage leaves and drain.
    combine egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, beef and cooked rice.
    Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture on center of each leaf, fold in sides and roll.
    Place in slow cooker
    combine sauce ing. and pour over rolls, cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours
    serves about 6

I also use the sauce recipe when I make stuffed bell peppers.

WOW! This is totally different. I'd love to give it a try.

I think I will be rolling cabbage for the next few weeks!

Thanks everyone.

My friend makes delicious cabbage rolls. The basic recipe is similar to those posted above but the only spice she adds (besides salt and pepper) is cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon (4-5 Tbls). It's yummy. She also layers sliced red and/or green bell peppers, chunked garlic (6 cloves or more), and onion on top of stuffed rolls and uses canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. (She usually doubles the recipe, it freezes well.) She used to cook it on top of the stove but now bakes it instead, comes out great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy1950 View Post
    I like to use Napa Cabbage when I make cabbage rolls. I like to steam the cabbage for a few minutes until it's soft enough to work with and the Napa Cabbage just makes it really easy.

1 head of Napa Cabbage
    1 beaten egg
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 cup cooked rice

for sauce
    1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Steam cabbage leaves and drain.
    combine egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, beef and cooked rice.
    Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture on center of each leaf, fold in sides and roll.
    Place in slow cooker
    combine sauce ing. and pour over rolls, cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours
    serves about 6.
    this is very similar to my recipe only i don't use milk and egg and i use the oven. also... if you wanna go the extra mile.. frying the cabbage rolls before putting them in the oven adds a really nice flavor to the cabbage. i fry them in a bit of olive oil on each side until golden brown.. pat with a papertowel to remove excess oil and then put them in the roasting pan .. drizzle sauce over rolls and bake at 350 for one hour.

or another method that is good is with a white sauce. prepare cabbage rolls as above but do not fry. steam them in a large pot on top of the stove. make a basic bechemel sauce and add fresh squeezed lemon juice to taste. spoon sauce on cabbage rolls just prior to serving

Cubbie Bear Guest

Default cabbage rolls

Quote Originally Posted by openmyeyes View Post
    I REALLY want to make good cabbage rolls but can find no direction. I think it is a conspiracy. Everybody I know that can make great cabbage rolls will not share their secret. I can't even find a good recipe on the internet. It is always, well you just add a bit of this and a bit of that.....

Some people say it is the cabbage, some say freeze the cabbage..etc.

Is there anyone on this board that is gracious enough to share a good cabbage roll recipe?

God bless you if you will and many thanks from my family.

I will find out from a friend in California and get back to you! She makes the best i have ever had!

I will facebook her and get her recipe!

Morning Joy Guest

Got to make some!!! Got to make some!!! These recipes are making me soooooo hungry!!!

I LOVE cabbage rolls but I don't make them often bc they are a pain in the rear to make. When I do make them, I usually make the rolls themselves the day before and then bake them the next day for our dinner. How do you get nice big sheets of cabbage without tearing? I sometimes end up making a cabbage roll-casserole because I just can't deal with trying to get the cabbage leaves off the head without tearing them.
    Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

Quote Originally Posted by iminchargeof4111 View Post
    How do you get nice big sheets of cabbage without tearing?
    Try using Napa. The leaves are bigger and not as rigid
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Napa it is! Thanks for the tip.
    Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

This is my mother's recipe and my favorite. You are right about the cabbage. A good head of cabbage with good taste makes a big difference in the taste of the cabbage rolls.

Cabbage Rolls

cup............. rice
    2..................... eggs
    2 lbs................ hamburger
    lbs............... sausage
    1 med............. onion
    1 sm............... green pepper
    1 can.............. diced tomatoes
    Salt
    Pepper
    Can milk or milk
    Garlic salt
    Carrots
    1 head............ cabbage

Put cup rice in water for about hour to soak. In bowl combine hamburger, sausage, eggs, chopped onions and green pepper leaving a little onion and green pepper for top of cabbage rolls. Add salt, pepper, garlic salt, eggs and a little milk for consistency. Knead together until mixed.

Cut core or cabbage out and cook in hot water bath until leaves are soft. Peel leaves off and salt inside of each leave. Add ball of meat the size of a small orange to each leaf. Roll starting with stalk side and tuck ends inside meat.

Put rolls 1 layer deep inside 9x12 pan. Sprinkle top with salt/pepper, onion, green pepper, carrots and a can of diced tomato.

Bake for 2 to 3 hours with aluminum foil for first 2 hours, take off and let brown for the last to 1 hour.

Temperature: 325