Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revelation 22:18 - add/remove scripture

adamk9 Guest

Default Revelation 22:18 - add/remove scripture

I've read many articles that talk about how the bible cannot be added to or have words taken away from it, then they reference revelations 22:18 as the reason

"18 I am warning everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book. If you add anything to them, God will add to you the plagues told about in this book. 19 If you take any words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from you your share in the tree of life. He will also take away your place in the Holy City. This book tells about these things."

However revelations was originally a single book before it was added to the new testament when that was formed many years later, so you can't really apply it the more than just revelations right? not that im saying one should modify the bible.

Wow, that's a good question. Never thought about it that way. I'd like to know the answer as well.

The book of Revelation is the last book of the bible and thus closes it. There is no good reason to want to add to or take away from scripture. Only Satan would want to go down that route.

adamk9 Guest

I know its the last book, and it does seem like an appropriate place to put a statement like that, and the bible was written by God through men's hands, but since all that is true, you would think it would be a more open ended statement if it was meant to apply to the whole bible.
    Of course there is no reason, in fact there is good reason not to, add or take away from any of the bible, but that is irrelevant to my question.
    In fact now that I look at the passage more, its almost looking like its not even talking about all the words in the book of revelations, but rather the words of the prophecies in revelations specifically. Its looking like if someone were to append some irrelevant fact like "God made the earth" into revelations, then they wouldn't have the curse put on them, but if someone changed it so that there will only be one bowl judgement, then they will receive the curse.

I think the intent is clear that there is a high price to pay for interfering with the book of Revelation specifically and scripture in general.

The book of Revelation is a book of future events.Other prophesy in the bible was given to men from God.Revelation is a book on future events given by Jesus Christ.This is what sets this book apart from the others.This book has future events that the Lord Jesus Christ himself revealed to John.The passage that states "Not to Add Too" or "Take Away From" is a warning not to mess with the revelation revealed to us by Christ himself because the revelation is an unveiling about the future.Can you imagine if someone in the past added to this book or took stuff out of this book?It would throw the entire book off.Such a strong warning was intended for the book of Revelation and the Lord intends it to remain exactly how he showed and revealed the future events to John.Since this warning is stated in the book of Revelation then it's safe to assume that this warning was indeed intended specially for the book of Revelation.
    John 14:16 -17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Christina Guest

Deuteronomy 4:2 also makes the same statement ~ "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

Do you really believe or think that God would command that only those 2 books out of all 66 were not to be "tampered" with? Knowing what we know of God, knowing that the Bible is His inerrent, inspired Word, knowing that He is the Word...John 1:1 ~ "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ", I think it's safe to say that none of it is to be tampered with.

MrMannn Guest

Revelation completed the Bible. The Bible is now one book, authored by God's divine will through various men: from paradise lost in Genesis to paradise regained in Revelation.

Put your trust in God and not in some clever argument.

Tres Wright Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Deuteronomy 4:2 also makes the same statement ~ "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."

Do you really believe or think that God would command that only those 2 books out of all 66 were not to be "tampered" with? Knowing what we know of God, knowing that the Bible is His inerrent, inspired Word, knowing that He is the Word...John 1:1 ~ "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. ", I think it's safe to say that none of it is to be tampered with.

I agree with Christina and Mr Mannn, and would only add that the correct title of the book is "The Revelation of Jesus Christ" and to refer to it as " revelations" diminishes it.
    Giving the book the reverence and understanding it deserves as Jesus own work, as revealed to His beloved disciple John, will deepen your knowledge, and bring insight to many questions.

I stated in my other post that the other books of the bible are inspired by God.As Christina pointed out there are scripture that implies not to change any of God's word,as we should never do.The book of Revelation is an unveiling of future events and this Revelation was given to John by "Jesus Christ" ,as I pointed out earlier, this is what makes this book altogether different from the rest of the Bible.I think the main point here is not to start a debate over the inerrant word of God.Common sense tells a person not to change God's word and someone searching for the truth in God's word would not be changing God's word anyways.The bottom line is Jesus Christ warned anyone who adds too or takes away from the book will have the plagues added too or their name taken from the book of life.It even goes so far as to say,"This Book"
    Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that hearth the words of THIS prophecy of THIS book,if any man shall add unto these things,God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in THIS book
    Revelation 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the BOOK OF THIS PROPHECY,God shall take away his part out of the book of life,and out of the holy city and from the things which are written in THIS BOOK.
    So common sense tells us to never change any of God's word,however this specific warning is meant for this book,The book Of Revelation!
    Here is some more information you might find helpful
    http://www.gotquestions.org/erased-book-life.html
    John 14:16 -17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    ... the correct title of the book is "The Revelation of Jesus Christ" and to refer to it as " revelations" diminishes it.
    I agree.
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Quote Originally Posted by adamk9 View Post
    I've read many articles that talk about how the bible cannot be added to or have words taken away from it, then they reference revelations 22:18 as the reason

"18 I am warning everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book. If you add anything to them, God will add to you the plagues told about in this book. 19 If you take any words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from you your share in the tree of life. He will also take away your place in the Holy City. This book tells about these things."

However revelations was originally a single book before it was added to the new testament when that was formed many years later, so you can't really apply it the more than just revelations right? not that im saying one should modify the bible.

It's obviously for the book of Revelation but since Revelation is compiled with the canon I would include it for all canon (scripture). http://www.bible-researcher.com/canon.html

Even if that stipulation was not there I wouldn't be messing with God's word anyway, but that doesn't stop the pagans, apostates, and heretics. They will have a day of regret.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Quote Originally Posted by Anddra View Post
    I think the intent is clear that there is a high price to pay for interfering with the book of Revelation specifically and scripture in general.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anddra View Post

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    I agree with Christina and Mr Mannn, and would only add that the correct title of the book is "The Revelation of Jesus Christ" and to refer to it as " revelations" diminishes it.
    Giving the book the reverence and understanding it deserves as Jesus own work, as revealed to His beloved disciple John, will deepen your knowledge, and bring insight to many questions.

I agree with the above notations that the title of the book is singular -- 'revelation' or 'unveiling' -- but I'm curious as to how the commonly used plural form -- 'revelations' -- diminishes the book.

Robert Guest

I agree with the rest of the gang here...

Deuteronomy 4:2 and Revelation 22:18 together make it clear that ANY part of scripture is not to be added to nor taken away from. God warns us about this for our own protection, as all his warnings are intended in scripture, and not to scare us. It is for our own good.

But why? Let me relate what I have learned on this matter...

If we try to "add" to scripture, we are adding in something according to human understanding, and not the truth revealed by God. If we try to "take away", we are removing things ins scripture we don't like or think do not apply. In either case, it severely distorts the truth that the Lord has given us, and Satan can move in on that and lead us astray in our own folly. An example is Genesis chapter 3: where Satan questions the clear instructions God has given Adam and Eve. Had they not listened, history would have run VERY differently. But they gave heed to his words, which twisted the word of the Lord, and caused Adam and Eve to question God's motives in forbidding the tree.

We know how the rest of it goes from there...

The Word of God is our only protection against deception in this world. If we tamper with it, we are setting ourselves up for a great deal of grief. Additionally, when we attempt to add or subtract from the word, we are saying in effect that we know better than God, and that he didn't know how to write his own book!

Keep in mind: we do not interpret scripture, it interprets US.

yoohoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by adamk9 View Post

Great question and one so worthy of in depth study because it not only brings tremendous blessings, it guards the soul from mens wisdom dressed as intellectual godliness that is rampant today inside the church. Really the Word speaks of itself regarding the positive attitude we must have along with the negative attitude we must never own so adding/deleting is just one small part of that.

For example, Deut.27:26 Cursed he that confirmeth not ALL THE WORDS of this law to do them, And all the people shall say, Amen. OR in Ps. 142:17 Seeing thou hatest instruction and casteth my words behind thee is related to the adding/deleting scriptures mentioned earlier because God has exalted His Word above His Name meaning exercise great care with how you treat it.

But adding or deleting is a no brainer and God tells us we must never Disregard His Word, Doubt it, Despise it, Presume upon it, Rebel against it, Add to it, Diminish it, Reject it, Transgress against it, Have unbelief, Murmur against it, Stray from it, Refuse it, Have an uncircumcised ear toward it, Have no delight in it, Say it's a burden, Make religious tradition superior to it, Allow it to be stolen from our hearts, Corrupt the Word, Handle it deceitfully, Receive it without faith, Remain on milk, Contend against it, or Wrest (twist) it.

In fact God not only tells us what not to do with His Word, He has a lot more to instruct us about how to handle His word. There should be no surprises there as God gave so many instructions about how to handle the temple vessels which were holy, so how much more His word.

I am at work at the moment ( I work for myself) so I don't have time to add all the Bible references, but you can do your own study and it comes with amazing blessings to all who fear and tremble at His glorious Word.

Adding or deleting ANY of God's Word shows contempt for it (as do so many other attitudes) and comes with judgments appropriate to taking the Word from God's lips that we are to live by and trampling it underfoot.

I think it's clear that Rev 22:18 is talking about just the book of Revelation

22:18 I testify to the one who hears the words of the prophecy contained in this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 22:19 And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

(1) It's clear that the highlighted sections are refering back to what John had just been talking about in his book. It's Revelation that is [a] a prophecy, [b] contains descriptions of plagues, and [c] describes the tree of life and the holy city.

(2) When John was writing his work, the canon of the bible was not yet closed, and John probably did not have access to all of the books anyway, which makes certain that he was not refering to all the books in our protestant canon.

(3) The bible is actually a collection of books, not just one book, which makes it even more certain that John is refering back to his own book in Rev 22:18

(4) The broader context of the entire chapter of Rev 22 makes it clear that he is refering to his own book.
    Yay