Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupts in rural southern Iceland, homes evacuated and emergency declared

Hybrid View

Zerozx Guest

Default Volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupts in rural southern Iceland, homes evacuated and emergency declared

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010...afjallajokull/

Volcanic Eyjafjallajökull, in Southern Iceland, is reported to be erupting. According to the police in Selfoss, evacuation from adjacent farms has commenced. The Icelandic Meteorological Office has received reports of volcanic blaze in the glacier but no major earthquake activities have been recorded as of yet.

Zerozx Guest

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- State of emergency declared, evacuations ordered after Eyjafjallajökull Volcano erupts in southern Iceland, the Icelandic Civil Defense says.

cocopea9052 Guest

Oh my, I thought your keys got stuck for a minute there Zero.....I dare ya to try and pronounce that...

Seriously, I hope folks got evacuated in time.

Zerozx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cocopea9052 View Post
    Oh my, I thought your keys got stuck for a minute there Zero.....I dare ya to try and pronounce that...
    Yeah, I wondered if that was a typo when I first saw the name. I wonder how it's pronounced...

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozx View Post
    Yeah, I wondered if that was a typo when I first saw the name. I wonder how it's pronounced...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100322/...celand_volcano
    Scientists say history has proven that when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupts, Katla follows — the only question is how soon. And Katla, located under the massive Myrdalsjokull icecap, threatens disastrous flooding and explosive blasts when it blows.
    Saturday's eruption at Eyjafjallajokull (AYA-feeyapla-yurkul) — dormant for nearly 200 years
    Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding ...

Zerozx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdWatch View Post

Thanks.

cocopea9052 Guest

It says no earthquakes were recorded yet, I didn't know a volcano could trigger a earthquake though....

Zerozx Guest

It says no earthquakes were recorded yet, I didn't know a volcano could trigger a earthquake though....
    I was thinking the same thing and I found this: http://www.geo.mtu.edu/volcanoes/hazards/primer/eq.html

Earthquakes related to volcanic activity may produce hazards which include ground cracks, ground deformation, and damage to manmade structures. There are two general categories of earthquakes that can occur at a volcano: volcano-tectonic earthquakes and long period earthquakes.

Earthquakes produced by stress changes in solid rock due to the injection or withdrawal of magma (molton rock) are called volcano-tectonic earthquakes (Chouet, 1993). These earthquakes can cause land to subside and can produce large ground cracks. These earthquakes can occur as rock is moving to fill in spaces where magma is no longer present. Volcano-tectonic earthquakes don't indicate that the volcano will be erupting but can occur at anytime.

The second category of volcanic earthquakes are long period earthquakes which are produced by the injection of magma into surrounding rock. These earthquakes are a result of pressure changes during the unsteady transport of the magma. When magma injection is sustained a lot of earthquakes are produced (Chouet, 1993). This type of activity indicates that a volcano is about to erupt. Scientists use seismographs to record the signal from these earthquakes. This signal is known as volcanic tremor.

People living near an erupting volcano are very aware of volcanic earthquakes. Their houses will shake and windows rattle from the numerous earthquakes that occur each day before and during a volcanic eruption. Residents in Pompeii felt earthquakes daily before Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79 but continued to go about their daily routines (Francis, 1993). When Mount Pinatubo in the Philipines erupted in 1991, nerves were rattled as much as windows by volcanic earthquakes.

Earthquakes exhibiting volcanic tremor warn of an impending eruption so that people can be evacuated to areas of safety. The volcanic tremor signal has been used successfully to predict the 1980 eruptions Mount St. Helens and the 1991 eruption of Pinatubo. Volcano-tectonic earthquakes can cause damage to manmade structures and landsliding. To prevent damage from being done, structures should be built according to earthquake standards, building foundations should be constructed on firm ground and not unconsolidated material which may amplify earthquake intensity, and buildings should be constructed on stable slopes in areas of low hazard potential.

Zerozx Guest

State of emergency declared after Icelandic volcano erupts, first since 1823 - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2419/sta...st-since-1823/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- A state of emergency was declared on Sunday after the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted in southern Iceland, the Icelandic Civil Defense said.

It said the surrounding area is being evacuated and that Red Cross shelters are being set up. Ash is falling down in nearby towns.

It is the first eruption of the volcano since 1823.

cocopea9052 Guest

Oh, okay, pretty much like how they watch seismic activity to monitor Yellowstone. You know with all the focus on earthquakes at ground and sea level, I actually forgot about the association with volcano's....my brain just can't retain it all anymore, so I just relearned something new today, thanks!

Zerozx Guest

Oh, okay, pretty much like how they watch seismic activity to monitor Yellowstone. You know with all the focus on earthquakes at ground and sea level, I actually forgot about the association with volcano's....my brain just can't retain it all anymore, so I just relearned something new today, thanks!
    Volcanoes really haven't crossed my mind either in regards to association with earthquakes. Pretty interesting.

No problem.

4Godisjust Guest

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010...afjallajokull/

Volcanic Eyjafjallajökull, in Southern Iceland, is reported to be erupting. According to the police in Selfoss, evacuation from adjacent farms has commenced. The Icelandic Meteorological Office has received reports of volcanic blaze in the glacier but no major earthquake activities have been recorded as of yet.

Wow! Is all I have to say.....I was worried about Earthquakes, and the Medical bill tomorrow, a Volcano didn't even cross my Mind. I will be praying for them.
    Last edited by 4Godisjust; March 21st, 2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: I was Tired, and had to rewrite what I wrote...

Default Volcano erupts in Iceland, hundreds evacuated

Authorities evacuated hundreds of people after a volcano erupted beside a glacier in southern Iceland, Iceland's civil protection agency said Sunday, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The eruption occurred around 11:30 p.m. Saturday (7:30 p.m. EDT) beside the Eyjafjallajokull glacier, the fifth largest in Iceland. Authorities initially said the eruption was below the glacier, triggering fears that it could lead to flooding from glacier melt, but scientists conducting an aerial survey in daylight located the eruption and said it did not occur below ice.

"The eruption is a small one," said Agust Gunnar Gylfason, a risk analyst at the Civil Protection Department.

"An eruption in and close to this glacier can be dangerous due to possible flooding if the fissure forms under the glacier," he said. "That is why we initiated our disaster response plan."
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100321/D9EIV3JG0.html

Zerozx Guest

12 hours ago - Iceland-bound U.S. flight diverted, main airport closed due to volcano eruption - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2423/ice...cano-eruption/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- Keflavķk International Airport, Iceland's main airport, was closed after a volcano erupted in the southern part of the country, aviation officials said on early Sunday.

Iceland's national air traffic control center said airspace in a radius of 120 nautical miles had been closed to all traffic, which includes Keflavķk International Airport. "We don't know how high the ash plume is going because its dark," an official said.

Icelandair flight 688, which took off from Orlando Sanford International Airport in Florida around 7.15 p.m. EDT on Saturday was diverted to Boston Logan International Airport. It was initially expected to land at Keflavķk International Airport at 6.10 a.m. local time on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 680, which departed Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Washington at 4.37 p.m. PDT on Saturday, was also diverted to Boston Logan International Airport as it flew over Canada. It was still en-route to Boston at 12.07 p.m. EDT on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 630 from Boston Logan International Airport was scheduled to depart at 9.39 p.m. EDT on Saturday, but never took off.

It is not clear how long the restrictions may last.

Zerozx Guest

The latest - 12 hours ago - Hundreds evacuated after Icelandic volcano erupts, first since 1823 - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2426/hun...-since-1823-3/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- A state of emergency was declared and evacuations were ordered after the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in southern Iceland erupted on early Sunday, the Icelandic Civil Defense said.

The eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which is located north of the small village of Skógar and is covered by a large icecap, began close to midnight local time. The Icelandic Civil Defense confirmed the volcano was erupting and national television channels showed live images of a bright light over the area, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.

Because the eruption could melt the ice on top of the volcano and cause flooding, evacuations have been ordered for the surrounding area. People in the area of Fljótshliš and the areas to the west of the Markarfljóts should evacuate to Hvolsvöllur and Hella. Farms to the west to Įsólfsskįli should evacuate to Heimaland. The farms of Įsólfsskįli, Skįlakot and Moldnśpur should evacuate to Varmahlķš. Žorvaldseyri and all farms to the east of Hrśtafell should evacuate to Drangshliš. People east of Skógarį should evacuate to Vķk.

Three Red Cross mass care centres have been opened in the villages of Hella, Hvolsvöllur and Vķk and Red Cross volunteers are ready to receive people. The Red Cross telephone helpline, 1717, has also been opened and is able to provide information about the eruption to members of the public.

The civil defense said a regional state of emergency has been declared and initiated the emergency response plan. The National Emergency coordination centre in Skógarhliš, Reykjavik, has been activated and is operational. Rescue teams have been dispatched to the area.

The country's main airport, Keflavķk International Airport, was closed after the eruption. The national air traffic control center said airspace in a radius of 120 nautical miles had been closed to all traffic, which includes Keflavķk International Airport, because of volcanic ash. "We don't know how high the ash plume is going because its dark," an aviation official said, adding that several local airports had also been closed.

He said the agency is waiting for more data from experts and expected the restrictions to remain in place until at least daylight. Volcanic ash was seen falling down in the area of Fljótshliš.

The eruption is the first since 1823 and follows weeks of increased seismic activity, according to the Icelandic Meteorological Office. It said most of the small earthquakes were located about 4 to 10 kilometers deep.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office said it detected a slight increase of seismic acticity at three seismic stations next to Eyjafjallajökull at about 10.30 p.m. local time on Saturday. Around the same time, it received the first reports that an eruption could be underway.

U.S. FLIGHTS AFFECTED

Three Iceland-bound U.S. flights were affected due to the airspace restrictions. Icelandair flight 688, which departed Orlando Sanford International Airport in Florida around 7.15 p.m. EDT on Saturday was diverted to Boston Logan International Airport as it flew over Canada. It was initially expected to land at Keflavķk International Airport at 6.10 a.m. local time on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 680, which departed Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Washington at 4.37 p.m. PDT on Saturday, was also diverted to Boston Logan International Airport as it flew over Canada. It was initially scheduled to land in Iceland at 6.45 a.m. local time on Sunday. The flight was still en-route to Boston at 12.30 a.m. EDT on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 630 from Boston Logan International Airport was scheduled to depart at 9.39 p.m. EDT on Saturday, but never took off.

New article - they are fearing a second eruption!!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03...est=latestnews

Just... wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMama View Post

Just... wow!!
    OH NO!

Eyjafjallajökull,
    Are you sure that isnt a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMama View Post

Just... wow!!
    W W is right!

suspicious_mind Guest

Lightbulb Vulcanic Eruption shuts Europe's airspace

Sorry! Just noticed the same post in Last Days Ecology forum, Mods: please delete this post, thanks!

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/0...ex.html?hpt=T1

Just got the news here that no flights are leaving from Schiphol Amsterdam. London airports are also closed.

This is the first time that the Dutch KLM has to cancel flights due to ash clouds.

Perhaps The Lord wanted to make sure the flight path over Europe was clear?