Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupts in rural southern Iceland, homes evacuated and emergency declared

Zerozx Guest

Default Volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupts in rural southern Iceland, homes evacuated and emergency declared

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010...afjallajokull/

Volcanic Eyjafjallajökull, in Southern Iceland, is reported to be erupting. According to the police in Selfoss, evacuation from adjacent farms has commenced. The Icelandic Meteorological Office has received reports of volcanic blaze in the glacier but no major earthquake activities have been recorded as of yet.

Zerozx Guest

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- State of emergency declared, evacuations ordered after Eyjafjallajökull Volcano erupts in southern Iceland, the Icelandic Civil Defense says.

cocopea9052 Guest

Oh my, I thought your keys got stuck for a minute there Zero.....I dare ya to try and pronounce that...

Seriously, I hope folks got evacuated in time.

Zerozx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cocopea9052 View Post
    Oh my, I thought your keys got stuck for a minute there Zero.....I dare ya to try and pronounce that...
    Yeah, I wondered if that was a typo when I first saw the name. I wonder how it's pronounced...

cocopea9052 Guest

It says no earthquakes were recorded yet, I didn't know a volcano could trigger a earthquake though....

Zerozx Guest

It says no earthquakes were recorded yet, I didn't know a volcano could trigger a earthquake though....
    I was thinking the same thing and I found this: http://www.geo.mtu.edu/volcanoes/hazards/primer/eq.html

Earthquakes related to volcanic activity may produce hazards which include ground cracks, ground deformation, and damage to manmade structures. There are two general categories of earthquakes that can occur at a volcano: volcano-tectonic earthquakes and long period earthquakes.

Earthquakes produced by stress changes in solid rock due to the injection or withdrawal of magma (molton rock) are called volcano-tectonic earthquakes (Chouet, 1993). These earthquakes can cause land to subside and can produce large ground cracks. These earthquakes can occur as rock is moving to fill in spaces where magma is no longer present. Volcano-tectonic earthquakes don't indicate that the volcano will be erupting but can occur at anytime.

The second category of volcanic earthquakes are long period earthquakes which are produced by the injection of magma into surrounding rock. These earthquakes are a result of pressure changes during the unsteady transport of the magma. When magma injection is sustained a lot of earthquakes are produced (Chouet, 1993). This type of activity indicates that a volcano is about to erupt. Scientists use seismographs to record the signal from these earthquakes. This signal is known as volcanic tremor.

People living near an erupting volcano are very aware of volcanic earthquakes. Their houses will shake and windows rattle from the numerous earthquakes that occur each day before and during a volcanic eruption. Residents in Pompeii felt earthquakes daily before Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79 but continued to go about their daily routines (Francis, 1993). When Mount Pinatubo in the Philipines erupted in 1991, nerves were rattled as much as windows by volcanic earthquakes.

Earthquakes exhibiting volcanic tremor warn of an impending eruption so that people can be evacuated to areas of safety. The volcanic tremor signal has been used successfully to predict the 1980 eruptions Mount St. Helens and the 1991 eruption of Pinatubo. Volcano-tectonic earthquakes can cause damage to manmade structures and landsliding. To prevent damage from being done, structures should be built according to earthquake standards, building foundations should be constructed on firm ground and not unconsolidated material which may amplify earthquake intensity, and buildings should be constructed on stable slopes in areas of low hazard potential.

Zerozx Guest

State of emergency declared after Icelandic volcano erupts, first since 1823 - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2419/sta...st-since-1823/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- A state of emergency was declared on Sunday after the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted in southern Iceland, the Icelandic Civil Defense said.

It said the surrounding area is being evacuated and that Red Cross shelters are being set up. Ash is falling down in nearby towns.

It is the first eruption of the volcano since 1823.

cocopea9052 Guest

Oh, okay, pretty much like how they watch seismic activity to monitor Yellowstone. You know with all the focus on earthquakes at ground and sea level, I actually forgot about the association with volcano's....my brain just can't retain it all anymore, so I just relearned something new today, thanks!

Zerozx Guest

Oh, okay, pretty much like how they watch seismic activity to monitor Yellowstone. You know with all the focus on earthquakes at ground and sea level, I actually forgot about the association with volcano's....my brain just can't retain it all anymore, so I just relearned something new today, thanks!
    Volcanoes really haven't crossed my mind either in regards to association with earthquakes. Pretty interesting.

No problem.

Zerozx Guest

Live TV station from Iceland, covering the eruption and has an image of it off in the distance (different language of course, but if anyone is interested..): http://dagskra.ruv.is/sjonvarpid/

Zerozx Guest

Updated - Hundreds evacuated after Icelandic volcano erupts, first since 1823 - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2420/hun...st-since-1823/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- A state of emergency was declared and evacuations were ordered after the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in southern Iceland erupted on early Sunday, the Icelandic Civil Defense said.

The eruption of Eyjafjallajökull, which is located north of the small village of Skógar and is covered by a large icecap, began around midnight local time. The Icelandic Civil Defense confirmed the volcano was erupting and national television channels showed live images of a bright light over the area.

The civil defense said a regional state of emergency has been declared and advised people to monitor reports. Volcanic ash was falling down in Fljótshlķš.

Because the eruption could melt the ice on top of the volcano, evacuations have been ordered for the surrounding area. Those around Fljótshlķš and west of Markarfljót are told to evacuate to Hvolsvallar and Hella, while residents of Skógar are told to evacuate to Vik. Other residents in the region are told to evacuate to Skįlakot. Red Cross shelters are being set up.

The eruption is a rare event and is the first since 1823.

Praying hard for their safety!!!

What a name???????
    The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

Zerozx Guest

Updated - Hundreds evacuated after Icelandic volcano erupts, first since 1823 - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2421/hun...-since-1823-2/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- A state of emergency was declared and evacuations were ordered after the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in southern Iceland erupted on early Sunday, the Icelandic Civil Defense said.

The eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which is located north of the small village of Skógar and is covered by a large icecap, began close to midnight local time. The Icelandic Civil Defense confirmed the volcano was erupting and national television channels showed live images of a bright light over the area.

The civil defense said a regional state of emergency has been declared and advised people to monitor reports. Volcanic ash was falling down in Fljótshlķš.

Because the eruption could melt the ice on top of the volcano and cause flooding, evacuations have been ordered for the surrounding area. Those around Fljótshlķš and west of Markarfljót are told to evacuate to Hvolsvallar and Hella, while residents of Skógar are told to evacuate to Vik. Other residents in the region are told to evacuate to Skįlakot. Red Cross shelters are being set up.

The eruption is the first since 1823 and follows weeks of increased seismic activity, according to the Icelandic Meteorological Office. It said most of the small earthquakes were located about 4 to 10 kilometers deep.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office said it detected a slight increase of seismic acticity at three seismic stations next to Eyjafjallajökull at about 10.30 p.m. local time on Saturday. Around the same time, it received the first reports that an eruption could be underway.

Zerozx Guest

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- Airport official says Keflavķk International Airport in Iceland has been closed due to volcano eruption, says two Iceland-bound U.S. flights diverted to Boston.

Zerozx Guest

Picture:

Any idea of how bad it was as of yet? I wonder if I can get Iceland on my shortwave????
    The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

4Godisjust Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozx View Post
    http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010...afjallajokull/

Volcanic Eyjafjallajökull, in Southern Iceland, is reported to be erupting. According to the police in Selfoss, evacuation from adjacent farms has commenced. The Icelandic Meteorological Office has received reports of volcanic blaze in the glacier but no major earthquake activities have been recorded as of yet.

Wow! Is all I have to say.....I was worried about Earthquakes, and the Medical bill tomorrow, a Volcano didn't even cross my Mind. I will be praying for them.
    Last edited by 4Godisjust; March 21st, 2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: I was Tired, and had to rewrite what I wrote...

cocopea9052 Guest

Well, the local news is carrying it now (ABC and Houston).

Here are the links:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=10160096

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/6923198.html

No damage or injuries reported. Thank God!

cocopea9052 Guest

One other interesting item I ran across though not related but:

"Seventeen Indonesia volcanoes on alert"

Science News
    Published: March. 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM

BANDUNG, Indonesia, March 19 (UPI) -- Seventeen of 18 volcanoes in Indonesia are on alert status and emitting toxic gas, a federal monitoring agency said.

The mountains are safe to visit as long as tourists stay at least a half-mile away from the gas-producing craters, Indonesia's Volcanology and Geology Hazard Mitigation Center said.

The alert status is the second level of a three-level system of warning. The Ibu volcano in West Halmahera is the only one of the 18 volcanoes at the lower No. 3 standby level, Antara news reported.

Mount Talang in Sumatra and Mount Karangetang in Sulawesi are the most recent volcanos to have their status raised to alert.

Other Indonesian volcanoes on alert include Krakatoa, Bromo, Kaba, Anak, Slamet and Lokon.

In 1883, Krakatoa erupted in an explosion equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT -- about 13,000 times the force of the U.S. bomb that devastated Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II.
    http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010...7171269007967/

Default Volcano erupts in Iceland, hundreds evacuated

Authorities evacuated hundreds of people after a volcano erupted beside a glacier in southern Iceland, Iceland's civil protection agency said Sunday, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The eruption occurred around 11:30 p.m. Saturday (7:30 p.m. EDT) beside the Eyjafjallajokull glacier, the fifth largest in Iceland. Authorities initially said the eruption was below the glacier, triggering fears that it could lead to flooding from glacier melt, but scientists conducting an aerial survey in daylight located the eruption and said it did not occur below ice.

"The eruption is a small one," said Agust Gunnar Gylfason, a risk analyst at the Civil Protection Department.

"An eruption in and close to this glacier can be dangerous due to possible flooding if the fissure forms under the glacier," he said. "That is why we initiated our disaster response plan."
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100321/D9EIV3JG0.html