Thread: How old were your kids when they gave up their naps?

Default How old were your kids when they gave up their naps?

Hi Ladies (and gentlemen feel free to chime in on this one, too).

I was just wondering how old your little ones were when they gave up their naps?

FOr the past couple of days, DD has been having a party in her crib during nap time - think a full hour of dancing, laughing, singing, jumping, doing somersaults... but she still NEEDS her naps. She gets super cranky around 4:30pm if she doesn't have one (and she goes to sleep at 7pm so its not like she is up late anyway).

DD will be 2 next month and I think she's trying to give up the nap, but I am NOT ready for her to. So, I'm just trying to get a feel for what is normal in the real world versus the statistics I read about in developmental books.

Thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much!!!

My daughter still took a nap at five. My son gave his up at 2 1/2 partly because his sister wasn't napping either. I think a lot depends on how much they are sleeping at night. I was a stay at home mom. My daughter and son would sleep until 9 am and go to bed in the evening at 9.

I take care of my two grandchildren one day a week. They are 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 and they both still take two hour naps. Their parents work so they get up a little after 7 and go to bed about 9 pm.

" I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"
    Job 19:25

Do you want to reach people for Christ with the Gospel message of salvation?

Huh. So you're supposed to give those up then? Strange custom...

My son was in kindergarten. Not sure if your state still does the nap thing in kindergarten, but my son's school doesn't. It REALLY messed up his schedule. He requires a lot of sleep anyway. He always has. He took two naps up until about age 4-5. Then around 5, he started taking one nap, about two-3 hours long. Then, in kindergarten, he'd come home and fall asleep because he was so tired (could NOT keep him awake) then couldn't get him to go to sleep at night. That was a biscuits cycle!
    “My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is now in the 8th grade!

Christina Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyK View Post
    Huh. So you're supposed to give those up then? Strange custom...
    I was thinkin' the same thing...lol

My son is 3 and a half years old and he still takes a nap if he's up early in the morning (say no later than 9am).

My mom always made us kids lie down or play quietly in our rooms for at least a half an hour every afternoon. It gave her a much needed rest break and period of relaxation to have us out of the way and playing quietly.
    Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. 1 Peter 4:12-13

For me to live is Christ!

That's what I do with my five year old grandson. When his three year old sister takes a nap I tell him he has to go sit on his bed and look at books for awhile even if he doesn't fall asleep. He always falls asleep for a couple hours.

" I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"

When I said they could, which was when they were about 6 or so.

lyngraphics Guest

Both my kids stopped napping around 2-1/2.

Thanks ladies. We'll just institute a household siesta period for at least an hour per day until she's REALLY ready to give up her nap (ie: Mom is ready for her to give up her nap). We got over the hump with the party in the crib - turned out she was cutting her incisors. The day after I posted it she started really fussing all night for several nights in addition to the party and whining at nap time -- you know the whine/fuss - the kind where they're kind of crying in their sleep. Motrin has been our friend for the past 3 nights, poor kid. We've had a tougher time with the incisors then we did with the molars.

Quote Originally Posted by lyngraphics View Post
    Both my kids stopped napping around 2-1/2.
    Oh, you poor thing.

Where the waving wheat, sure smells sweet!

All three of my kids ended naps at different times. One took a nap thru Kindergarten. The second one ended during preschool. The third, well not sure, seems like he stopped way earlier. Your lifestyle helps determine it too. The child temperment and need for sleep is also a guide.

LookingUplinda Guest

WOW, KIDS THAT NAP!!! great concept, My daughter never nappedI did try for a very long time tho, it just rarely happened

lyngraphics Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MsSophie View Post
    Oh, you poor thing.
    Thanks, LOL!!

My 5 year old grandson doesn't like his naps but he always goes to sleep once he goes to his bed (at my house). I told him the last week that next year when he startes kindergarten that he will take a mat to school and all the kids have to lie down after lunch. He seemed a little shocked. Then on Tuesday I mentioned it again. He said "I know, Meme. You already told me."

Char is only 15 mos so of course she still needs a nap, but if I were you I'd just stay consistent. They all go through their little phases! She'll get back on track soon.

Hilary, mommy to Charlotte (12/08) and Clara (11/10)

HilHill, your daughter is beautiful and congratulations on the new expected arrival.

The 'quiet time' idea worked for us as well. It helps to tell them that Mommy needs some quiet time (or even nap time too) so that she can be relaxed and happy the rest of the day.

By the way, my oldest at 17 has gone back to naps -- when he can, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reason&Hope View Post
    The 'quiet time' idea worked for us as well. It helps to tell them that Mommy needs some quiet time (or even nap time too) so that she can be relaxed and happy the rest of the day.

By the way, my oldest at 17 has gone back to naps -- when he can, that is.
    We tell our five year old grandson that adults would love to be able to take naps like he's able to. Also, I tell him sometimes that I'm going to take a nap when he does too. Sometimes I lie down for a half hour or so while they are napping.

He's a little smarty though. If I tell him I'm going to lie down too he wants to lie in the living room with me. I tell him 'no'. He has to lie down in his own room.

My daughter is 4, and now that it's nice outside, we are a little more relaxed with naptimes. But, if we have something that evening that she needs to be rested for (her brother's baseball games, church, meetings or something like that), she still lies down for about 1 1/2 hours.

My son is 13, and he still takes a nap in the afternoon if he can. But he's always wanted to sleep more. My daughter thinks she'll miss something if she goes to sleep .