Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Ways to Share Gospel Tracts

Hi Acts - So if I bought some candy to go along with the Chick tracts I got, how does this strike you?
    "Hi--I'm passing out free candy with free illustrated Gospel booklets. Interested?"

hurryupJesus - I just stuck a tract in my electric bill yesterday for the first time! I read that suggestion somewhere. What a great idea you have to include them with your business orders!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Tiger Lily, I am planning to give my doctors each a copy of the biography of Dr. Howard Kelly. He was a charter faculty member at Johns Hopkins as it was beginning. He wrote a book called, A Scientific Man and the Bible. It is a story of his attempt to disprove Scripture, but was saved after reading it. He was a brilliant man, and anyone in medicine would likely read this. I gave a copy to a former Doctor of mine who had graduated from Johns Hopkins and was familiar with the name, but had not read this book. He was very happy to get it, and I prayed for God to use the book to open his eyes. Just an idea.

Adding candy to the bag with tracts sounds like a great idea. I think Acts does this, but I'll let her tell you about it. May God bless your efforts, Tiger Lily, as you seek to be faithful in witnessing for Him.

-Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Tiger Lily, I am planning to give my doctors each a copy of the biography of Dr. Howard Kelly. He was a charter faculty member at Johns Hopkins as it was beginning. He wrote a book called, A Scientific Man and the Bible. It is a story of his attempt to disprove Scripture, but was saved after reading it. He was a brilliant man, and anyone in medicine would likely read this. I gave a copy to a former Doctor of mine who had graduated from Johns Hopkins and was familiar with the name, but had not read this book. He was very happy to get it, and I prayed for God to use the book to open his eyes. Just an idea.

Adding candy to the bag with tracts sounds like a great idea. I think Acts does this, but I'll let her tell you about it. May God bless your efforts, Tiger Lily, as you seek to be faithful in witnessing for Him.
    Thank you, Lynn!

That sounds like a great book! The famous evangelist Josh McDowell, set out to disprove the Bible, too. If I correctly recall, he applied the legal "rules of evidence" and was so overwhelmed by the evidence in support of Christianity that he, like Dr. Kelly, ended up becoming a Christian. He has also written over 100 books, including one of the most influential Christian books of our time, Evidence That Demands a Verdict.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
    Thank you, Lynn!

That sounds like a great book! The famous evangelist Josh McDowell, set out to disprove the Bible, too. If I correctly recall, he applied the legal "rules of evidence" and was so overwhelmed by the evidence in support of Christianity that he, like Dr. Kelly, ended up becoming a Christian. He has also written over 100 books, including one of the most influential Christian books of our time, Evidence That Demands a Verdict.
    Yes, Tiger Lily, you are right about Josh McDowell's book; it has done a lot of good over the years in the lives of many people. Another famous man, Mr. Simon Greenleaf, one of the founders of Harvard Law School, was not a Christian and decided to apply the rule of law to the resurrection. He became a Christian after seeing so clearly the evidence. His book is called Testimony of the Evangelists. I have found that highly educated people tend to be open to reading books that were written by people of renown in their own chosen profession.

-Lynn

That Simon Greenleaf book sounds really interesting, too. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yes, Tiger Lily, you are right about Josh McDowell's book; it has done a lot of good over the years in the lives of many people. Another famous man, Mr. Simon Greenleaf, one of the founders of Harvard Law School, was not a Christian and decided to apply the rule of law to the resurrection. He became a Christian after seeing so clearly the evidence. His book is called Testimony of the Evangelists. I have found that highly educated people tend to be open to reading books that were written by people of renown in their own chosen profession.
    That makes a lot of sense. Different people respond to different things. A couple of things that appealed to me in strengthening my faith were learning that: (a) Bible prophecy has always been fulfilled with 100% accuracy and is continuing to be fulfilled with 100% accuracy and (b) that the theory (emphasize theory) of evolution is completely illogical/scientifically unsupportable for a large number of reasons (not the least of which is the incredible complexity of life and how completely illogical it would be for life to just appear out of nothing). Both these subjects make for fascinating study and it really appeals to me to know that I don't have to park my brain outside to be a Christian.

______

I think tracts can be useful if you use them to engage the person you are witnessing to; for me, handing it to a person feels too passive. I would want to read it with the person and begin asking them questions about the text, etc.

Of course, every scenario is different and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's leading is key.
    The Gospel of Jesus Christ

"I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe."

"I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope."

Just FYI to the thread: here is Simon Greenleaf's write up for free on the 'net. Love it, and recommend it.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...greenleaf.html

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Hi, Tiger, I just got back into town.

I wouldn't mention the booklets. They will see them.

I just say something along the lines of "I'd love to give you some candy". Some take out the booklet, keep it, and give back the candy!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Kliska - Thanks--I saved it to a file on my computer!

Acts - Thanks Acts. Yesterday I asked a young couple if they were interested in the Rapture and end times (while holding out an end-times tract). They took it. In fact, the young lady seemed a little disappointed that I handed it to the guy instead of her. (Note to self: Next time offer couples both one.)

______

I tuck them within the seed packets in the gardening section of stores

Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    I tuck them within the seed packets in the gardening section of stores
    That's a great one! I hit all the ATM machines in the mall every time I go and leave one on each keypad. I pray for the recipient to find the correct one. Oh! I also leave them in every public restroom...in the stalls, at the sinks, on the dryers...LOL.
    Please pray for my unsaved loved-ones. Time is short.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminbalos View Post
    Recently I've been using several different tracts from Ray Comfort's Living Water store (they're located locally here in Bellflower, but you can order online at www.livingwaters.com); the tracts are under the "Store" tab. They have several tracts that are the size of a business card, which slide perfectly on a car door, between the window and the rubber weather strip (right above the door handle). I actually got this idea seeing a guy putting flyers for a club or rave on a bunch of cars, and thought, "What a great idea..." It's hard to ignore the tract, and I've found that people generally don't like litering, so they'll usually take the tract and put in in their pocket. I've watched people come to their car, take the tract off the door, sit down in the car and read the tract. Also, these small business card-sized tracts fit perfectly in the credit card slot at gas station pumps; after I'm done putting gas, I always slide one in (leaving it partway out), so the next person can find it. Also, if you sign up for Ray Comfort's email, every Friday they send out an email with several of their tracts on sale. So, whenever I want to stock up, I wait until one of the tracts I like is on sale, and buy a bunch of them.

Another tract I like is the Smile Jesus Loves You booklet from www.sowersofseed.com; if you buy in bulk, the tracts are 4 cents a piece, which isn't too bad, considering it's a little booklet, not just a piece of paper. I like those because you can leave them somewhere (park bench, bus stop, etc.) and the wind won't take them.
    I really like the small "smart card" tracts. I put them inside the beer cases @ the grocery store. Funny how they are a perfect fit for the carry handles
    I got them from www.livingwaters.com
    Keep spreading the word believers!

the pay booth at airport-parking exits (it looks like they probably have a lot of down time; you can ask for a receipt and hand them a tract back)

somebody may have already mentioned this one, but, if not, toll-bridge booths would be good, too

______

Today our little town had a Christmas Parade. Some friends and I went down there with Chick tracts and candy canes. We handed them a tract and a candy cane saying, "Merry Christmas!" Boy, that went over great! I had people coming up to me asking for a candy cane! Now I need some good ideas for doing something similiar this summer! Thanks for any ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by UntilHeComes View Post
    Today our little town had a Christmas Parade. Some friends and I went down there with Chick tracts and candy canes. We handed them a tract and a candy cane saying, "Merry Christmas!" Boy, that went over great! I had people coming up to me asking for a candy cane! Now I need some good ideas for doing something similiar this summer! Thanks for any ideas!
    I think you could apply that idea at any holiday time. Just pick any candy, and pass it out with a tract and say "Happy Easter" or "Happy 4th of July", etc. You could even get creative and just say "Happy Birthday" and then when they deny it is their birthday, say something about well, God loves you and knows everything about you, your birthday, the number of hairs on your head, etc. Or maybe that is a little bit crazy. Just trying out ideas while I type... lol.
    "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
    always abounding in the work of the Lord;
    knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Thank you! I was thinking about what kind of candy would be good that kids like! It shouldn't melt and it must be easy to hand out with a tract. Your ideas are really great--I was amazed at the difference in attitude when they were given a treat---"wise as serpents...!"

Thanks for this thread! It really has encourged me.

Ok, I so much feel like I failed. I made up some small bags with4 pieces of candy and a booklet 'the way to God' in them. I was going to hand them out but got scared. Didn't know what to say. I finally was in a store and resolved to give one to the checkout person. I asked her if she ate candy, and she said yes so I gave her a baggie. She put it next to her register for later. She thanked me, but I could not help feeling awkward. I kept thinking, what would I think if a total stranger tried to give me candy? I'd probably be suspicious and wonder if it was poison. I feel like A failure, but I know God can use that one to reach that one person. But do any of you think that it might be disconcerting for a stranger to hand candy to someone? Any advice on how to or where to give it out in the future (I'm super chicken)? Oh, and I was praying the whole day, even fasted but I didn't feel led to go anywhere and hand them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Ok, I so much feel like I failed. I made up some small bags with4 pieces of candy and a booklet 'the way to God' in them. I was going to hand them out but got scared. Didn't know what to say. I finally was in a store and resolved to give one to the checkout person. I asked her if she ate candy, and she said yes so I gave her a baggie. She put it next to her register for later. She thanked me, but I could not help feeling awkward. I kept thinking, what would I think if a total stranger tried to give me candy? I'd probably be suspicious and wonder if it was poison. I feel like A failure, but I know God can use that one to reach that one person. But do any of you think that it might be disconcerting for a stranger to hand candy to someone? Any advice on how to or where to give it out in the future (I'm super chicken)? Oh, and I was praying the whole day, even fasted but I didn't feel led to go anywhere and hand them out!
    You're being too hard on yourself. Take your time; God will lead you and guide you as to who to approach and when. Another thing is that not all of us are to evangelize in the same way. Each of us have preferences as to how to approach someone, what to say, or what to give them, or whether or not to approach anyone directly at all. Pray about what God would have YOU do.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Kliska View Post
    You're being too hard on yourself. Take your time; God will lead you and guide you as to who to approach and when. Another thing is that not all of us are to evangelize in the same way. Each of us have preferences as to how to approach someone, what to say, or what to give them, or whether or not to approach anyone directly at all. Pray about what God would have YOU do.
    Thank you Kliska, but I never feel like I'm doing enough. I wasted years of my life when I turned my back on the Lord, now I just want to please him. But I am not good at talking to people. I want to give out tracts and evengelize, I guess because I thought I could 'make up for lost time'. Hmm, I know you are right, and it can't work that way. Maybe I am a daffodil, but have been trying to be a tulip.... I will pray and ask God to lead me in what He wants me to do. Oh, that was a quick answer - I remember now, I actually found it easier to give out Bibles with a bag of snacks to homeless beggers, maybe I should stick to that. I do put a tract into each Bible. I don't know why I can talk to the beggers, but not to the 'nice' folks in society. Maybe because I recognize, 'there but for the grace of God go I'. This really helped, thanks for the encouragement!