Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: significance of a sideways cross? *merged*

farah Guest

Default significance of a sideways cross? *merged*

Is there anything negative about a sideways cross in jewelry for example? I've seen a lot of sideways cross popping up at local jewelry stores, and was just wondering it there was anything wrong with it.

Examples:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zQi2sgF57y...0/DSC09237.JPG

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thin...l&tid=14153930

I have never seen that before.

farah Guest

They seem to be all the rage, at least in my city. The ring is from Forever21 and the necklace from a popular (bc of the sideways cross) Etsy seller.

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    I have never seen that before.
    I haven't either...

But, honestly, I don't like it.

Here's a couple explanations I found...

sideways cross necklace is inspired by jewelry worn by celebs like Jessica Biel and Michelle Williams. (possible OOPS or artistic license?)

One peron's idea... the sideways cross should mean humanity, earth, or Imbetween heaven and hell.

On graves it is a reference to the hope of the resurrection. The cross has been taken down because Jesus has completed the work of his sacrifice. ("It is done")

There's also some speculation about it being a reference to something that's sure to land this thread in the shed, so I'll just leave it at that.
    "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
    For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fracturedInfinity View Post
    Here's a couple explanations I found...

sideways cross necklace is inspired by jewelry worn by celebs like Jessica Biel and Michelle Williams. (possible OOPS or artistic license?)

One peron's idea... the sideways cross should mean humanity, earth, or Imbetween heaven and hell.

On graves it is a reference to the hope of the resurrection. The cross has been taken down because Jesus has completed the work of his sacrifice. ("It is done")

There's also some speculation about it being a reference to something that's sure to land this thread in the shed, so I'll just leave it at that.
    I got that too...

There's also this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_cross

The Norwegian flag was the first Nordic cross flag with three colours. Though the flags share this pattern, they have individual histories and symbolism. The cross symbolizes Christianity.
    Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lynne View Post
    I got that too...
    "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

Hebrews 12:3-4
    For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

farah Guest

the inbetween heaven and hell thing makes me definitely want to stay away.

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farah View Post
    the inbetween heaven and hell thing makes me definitely want to stay away.

mom4Yehoshua Guest

personally, I believe there is something stinky, dead fishy about it......not the fish we all relate to true, born again believers. Sideways is just as equal to upside down (the one peter died on)....but possibly more significant to something.

If you don't know it's meaning....you should be leaving.

texasgirl Guest

I tried looking it up, but oddly couldn't find much on the meaning, just people trying to sell it.

It doesn't sit right with me. It like they are making a silent statement against Christianity.
    I could be wrong.
    I don't like the necklaces with Jesus on the cross either. Just imho he has defeated the cross, don't leave him up there.......I don't have anything against those who wear it though.

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
    I tried looking it up, but oddly couldn't find much on the meaning, just people trying to sell it.

It doesn't sit right with me. It like they are making a silent statement against Christianity.
    I could be wrong.
    I don't like the necklaces with Jesus on the cross either. Just imho he has defeated the cross, don't leave him up there.......I don't have anything against those who wear it though.
    The ones where he is on the cross I can live with better than one sideways. Usually Catholics wear the ones where he is on the cross, if I am remembering correctly.

Meg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post

I could be wrong.
    I so agree! He Rose from the dead, so why leave Him on the Cross??? I like my Lord alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lynne View Post
    The ones where he is on the cross I can live with better than one sideways. Usually Catholics wear the ones where he is on the cross, if I am remembering correctly.
    Yes, Amber, in fact with the Catholics He's almost always a baby or on the Cross looking dead or close to it.

mom4Yehoshua Guest

Preach

The ixthus (don't know how to spell it) the fishy is the best way to symbolize your faith, IMHO. It was a symbol used back in Paul's day, when Nero was in power and believing in Jesus was equivalent to treason and murder. So, secretly they would make the one half of the fish to see if the other person would comply with the second half, then they knew if the person was a believer or not.

This is much better and reasonable if you must wear a symbol made out of silver and gold. The cross and cross with jesus on it are resaonable only if one uses it for ministry, like an opening statement.

The sideways cross, IMHO is not reasonable and has no merit.

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes, Amber, in fact with the Catholics He's almost always a baby or on the Cross looking dead or close to it.
    Thought so.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

Does it mean to carry one's cross?

Upside down may imply a martyr's cross.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

farah Guest

the weird thing is, the owners of forever 21 are evangelical christians. they apparently have "John 3:16" stamped somewhere on their bags (though it may only be in the us - i haven't seen it on any canadian f21 bags). so very strange that they'd sell something so questionable (or fishy at the very least).

texasgirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I so agree! He Rose from the dead, so why leave Him on the Cross??? I like my Lord alive!

Reminds me of Talladega Nights.......praying to 8lb 6 ounces, baby Jesus, with your geometrical shapes...........bwhahah
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist......

I like the fish sign much better! I do have a cross necklace........but as for representing my faith. I just like the fish sign.

Jesus is alive, rejoice! The catholics are always so somber. Sorry if that steps on toes! But how great is it to know Jesus defeated death and is alive...no need to worship a cross....our Savior is in Heaven!!
    Awesome! When I went to see that neat staircase (in a Catholic church-see my thread, just a historical thingy), I just wanted to yell yee-haw everybody! lol Everyone looked so serious and sad!
    I don't get it! Rejoice! I was excited! He is coming back someday.....Prob sooner than we think!

It was neat. I wear my fish necklace....lol.....keeps me on my toes all day.

Thirty years ago, I bought an upside down cross on the streets of Paris. I naively though it was a novelty until a friend of mine back in the States edumacated me about it. I wore that thing for a month while I was in France.

Upside down cross = bad bad bad bad bad baaaaaad

side ways =