Thread: AOG Superintendent wants off ecumenical "Covenant for Civility"

Default AOG Superintendent wants off ecumenical "Covenant for Civility"

In late March, the Covenant for Civility was made public with great fanfare. Spearheaded by progressive Jim Wallis, the document featured the signatures of 114 leading members of the religious community.

According to CNN, those who signed are “from a broad swath of Christian Traditions, including the president of the National Association of Evangelicals, the head of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, and the General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God, a major Pentecostal organization.”

The covenant calls for an end to bitter debate and rancor, and urges kindness and respect when dealing with one another.

However, the covenant now has a prominent defector, with others certain to follow. Dr. George O. Wood, General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God, has asked that his signature be removed from the agreement.

In his email to me, Superintendent Wood has stated, “I have put in a request to NAE (National Association of Evangelicals) for my name to be withdrawn as a signatory.They are working on it and will let me know if it can happen and how. Like you, I do not want my name or the Assemblies of God to be associated with persons who claim to be in the Body of Christ yet reject the moral teachings of Scripture.” (Bold mine)

Although the covenant addresses the “unity we have in the Body of Christ,” many of the signatories oppose the Biblical Christ. The best known of these is probably Brian McLaren.

Included among the signatories are representatives of pro-gay churches, and even an individual who has served on the Board of Directors for a pro-choice religious organization.

According to Dr. Wood, “The statement on civility was distributed at a board meeting of the National Association of Evangelicals that I hosted at our Assemblies of God headquarters in Springfield, Mo. There were approximately 65 or 70 at the meeting. I was not aware of other signatories that must have been added later. I understood the document to be one committed to by fellow evangelicals.”

Dr. Wood’s action is to be commended, particularly in light of the publicity this document has received from the secular press. It is good to see the leader of a Christian denomination do what is right, rather than what is expedient. http://www.mywordlikefire.wordpress.com

Christina Guest

Please bare with me, does this have anything to do with that Manhatten declaration or is this something different?

Default Christians unknowingly sign with pro-homosexual churches, Brian McLaren, and more

This is a separate document. Ken Silva gives a pretty good background in his article.

http://apprising.org/2010/04/12/aog-...-for-civility/

Christina Guest

Thank You for the link.

Default He is coming!

You are welcome, my Rapture Ready sister. Keep looking up, for He is surely coming.

Christina Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Serving Our King View Post
    You are welcome, my Rapture Ready sister. Keep looking up, for He is surely coming.
    I already gotz my boots on and bags packed, I'z ready!!!

Do you have an address for Dr. Wood?
    I want to send him a little note. It's great that he is taking such a stand and I bet he could use some encouragment.

Default Thanking the AOG head honcho for obeying Bible

Dr. Wood is undoubtedly taking heat for this. He has also taken a hard and Biblical stand about apostate Tony Jones speaking at the Society for Pentecostal Studies. It is great you want to encourage him.

His email is: GeneralSuperintendent@ag.org

Default Christianity Today covers AoG rejection of agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Anddra View Post
    Christianity Today has noted that AOG Superintendent Dr. Wood has taken his name off the Covenant for Civility. Here: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...y/25-31.0.html

Default Anti-gay marriage pastor leaves Covenant for Civility (Lighthouse)

Bishop Harry Jackson wants off the Covenant for Civility agreement after learning about the numerous pro-homosexual signers. Lighthouse article:

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=4377

A Southerner marooned in the land of Yankees

I do not want my name or the Assemblies of God to be associated with persons who claim to be in the Body of Christ yet reject the moral teachings of Scripture.”
    Well isn't that special. Back in 2004 George Wood ignored the reports of misconduct on the part of an AOG pastor (I know, because I spoke with him myself) and allowed his Chief Counsel to (Richard Hammer) to cover it up.
    The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.

From the article it looks like Jim Wallis has a heavy hand in it as well. Obama's "new spiritual advisor" Jim Wallis.
    Romans 16:17-18
    King James Version (KJV)

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
    For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Default Please document what you just said

Quote Originally Posted by markofthebest View Post
    Well isn't that special. Back in 2004 George Wood ignored the reports of misconduct on the part of an AOG pastor (I know, because I spoke with him myself) and allowed his Chief Counsel to (Richard Hammer) to cover it up.
    It would be good if you could document what you just wrote. Thank you.

A Southerner marooned in the land of Yankees

It would be good if you could document what you just wrote. Thank you.

The Pastor at our AOG church lied about his references, he was fired at past churches for embezzlement, adultery, inappropriate touching of teenage girls, etc...

I myself spoke with his past church boards. I also contacted the state and national level of authority including George Wood and Richard Hammar, the legal counsel. The people who had talked to me were threatened with losing their ministeries if they continued to talk and his actions were covered up...all the way to the top.

Old Georgie is only worried about immorality amoung the flock when it hits the News and looks bad on him.
    The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.