Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Earth Day": A pagan celebration

Quote Originally Posted by WarGamer View Post
    I could care less about Pagan Day. I don't get this whole planet worship stuff that's picking up so much steam lately.
    Meh it's not so much 'earth-worship' but more 'worship any god/goddess/deity as long as you don't pay homage to The One True Lord'
    My Rapture/Left Behind Message

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

Quote Originally Posted by LUVSLLAMAS View Post
    Anyone feel like a natural disaster will possibly occur today? Remember what happened a few weeks ago after the Catholic priests' sex abuse scandal was revealed in Europe? Who would have thought that a volcanic eruption in Iceland would bring Europe to their knees? I'm not speculating, but is it a coincidence that the earthquake and tsunami in Asia happened the day after Christmas?
    I have noticed that the bulk of the natural disasters are directed towards those who have denounced The Lord. Coincidence? I'll let you decide....

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

Quote Originally Posted by rreighe View Post
    yeah dont forget that two days ago was 420 (weed day) where a lot of people go and "celebrate" by smoking the living daylights out of themselves...
    Junkies don't need a special day to glorifiy their habit. Every day is 'weed day' to them.

SummerSailing81 Guest

All Pagan Day meant to us was my dd and I couldn't watch the good old cartoons like Yogi Bear, Tom and Jerry, and Popeye because it was Captain Planet day.

Why can't we celebrate "Earth Day" with a departure from it...
    Now THAT'S a great idea! Let's all agree in prayer that next year we'll be viewing this insanity from ABOVE!!!!!!!!

Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by cocopea9052 View Post
    Why can't we celebrate "Earth Day" with a departure from it...

up
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

I am so tired of the Green movement, Earth Day, etc. While I have nothing against conserving energy and recycling, it's a religion for some people. I have more than once in my life literally been yelled at for throwing an aluminum can in the garbage rather than recycling it. It's all worshipping Earth rather than protecting His creation, and that's my problem with it.

I remember Earth Day from when I was a little kid. We had just come back from overseas and the whole school celebrated a holiday I had never heard of. I thought it was very strange, and never was able to whip up any enthusiasm for it. Then we went back overseas and didn't hear of it until we got back state side again. It always seemed a very strange day to me.

Mad earth day....

....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G880g...layer_embedded

a most disgusting display of vulgar idolatry ....makes me sick....

Doh! that youtube...

Please do not read the comments below...eww.

MidwestMama Guest

The worst thing about Earth Day, IMO, is the lengths the SCHOOLS go to, in order to celebrate this "holiday" each year. Last week my child's school was really playing it up. If they can get it brainwashed into them early in life, it'll make things easier later...

We had a little chat that morning, about how it's good to take care of the Earth, that God gave it to us to live from, to enjoy, and to care for. But that some people take it way too far.

More than once we've thought about pulling our kiddo out of PS, believe me, and if it gets much worse with the indoctrination of this stuff, I don't know tht we'll have a choice. I fear the younger generations will not know the truth of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Oh yeah, Earth Day. Time to turn on all my lights.
    Somehow giving more of my money to a corporation doesn't seem like much of a celebration. Cutting off my nose to spite my face doesn't accomplish anything...

We took our Bible out on a hike, enjoyed creation and had a few quiet moments. I see nothing wrong with enjoying the nature/creation provided to us. I think my Lord would be more pleased with my spirit of worship than my spirit of anger/protest/waste of the (limited) money/resources I have been blessed with,

jeansandjacketrequired Guest

Cross Why are we Christians so anti-earth?

I don't get it. Why do many many on this board diss Earth Day?

I helped volunteers plant nearly six thousand oak trees last Saturday at the Forest Preserve by my house. It was also this particular forest preserve's grand-opening day. The family that used to own the land (they were farmers) came from as far away as Missouri for the opening ceremonies. We have the patriarch of the family to thank for selling (and donating) the land to our county for open space. They could have sold to a developer but they wanted to leave a legacy.

Isn't that great? Isn't that Christian?

I helped plant trees for our children's, children's, children.

Turning on all the lights in the house and wasting energy doesn't seem Christian to me. Let's leave a legacy to our children - not a wasteland.

We're not anti-Earth. We're supposed to be good stewards while we remain on this earth, yes, but we're not supposed to bow down and worship it. We worship the Creator, not the creation.

Furthermore, we're not destroying the planet; nothing we could ever do (save for nuclear war or something like that) could have a large effect on the planet. Driving an SUV, leaving a light on, or using hair spray isn't going to break the planet in half. Besides, the earth is corrupted by sin like everything else is. It will never be perfect until God Himself destroys it and creates the New Earth.

But does planting trees help bring people to Christ? It's like going to third-world countries to feed the hungry. It doesn't do a starving man any good to keep him alive for another day if he's doomed to hell anyway. It doesn't do anyone any good to plant trees for people if they haven't heard about Jesus. The future of this earth is destruction. The real future is for eternity. We should be planning for eternity (and telling other people about how they can spend their eternity with Jesus), not for the brief brief brief amount of time we're on this earth.

Turning on all the lights in the house and wasting energy doesn't seem Christian to me. Let's leave a legacy to our children - not a wasteland.
    The "leaving our lights on" thing was more of a joke (I don't think anyone actually did it; electricity costs too much to do that). If we want to prepare for our children's future (assuming there is a future; remember, we're in the last days), we should concentrate on the outrageous debt we're racking up and the health care monstrosity that will soon be stuck with us forever, not worrying about who's using too much hair spray.

jeansandjacketrequired Guest

"But does planting trees help bring people to Christ?"
    Why not? God is everywhere. Planting a tree for future generations can certainly bring someone to Christ.

"It doesn't do anyone any good to plant trees for people if they haven't heard about Jesus. "
    Are you kidding me? Because your great grandchildren have yet to be born there is no point to planting a tree so that they may enjoy that tree (and all of Gd's provisions)? What a horrible statement.

"The future of this earth is destruction"
    Should we give up and not work towards the betterment of... anything?

If we wish to prepare for our children''s future we need to take an active interest in the Earth today, that includes considering what to do about debt, health care, pollution, wars, famine, ignorance etc...

I suppose that we reject This Life and The Earth than we live a monastic existence. But I don't believe a monastic existence is for everyone.

-----
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    But does planting trees help bring people to Christ? It's like going to third-world countries to feed the hungry. It doesn't do a starving man any good to keep him alive for another day if he's doomed to hell anyway. It doesn't do anyone any good to plant trees for people if they haven't heard about Jesus. The future of this earth is destruction. The real future is for eternity. We should be planning for eternity (and telling other people about how they can spend their eternity with Jesus), not for the brief brief brief amount of time we're on this earth.

The "leaving our lights on" thing was more of a joke (I don't think anyone actually did it; electricity costs too much to do that). If we want to prepare for our children's future (assuming there is a future; remember, we're in the last days), we should concentrate on the outrageous debt we're racking up and the health care monstrosity that will soon be stuck with us forever, not worrying about who's using too much hair spray.
    Last edited by OnceWasLost; April 28th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansandjacketrequired View Post

I helped volunteers plant nearly six thousand oak trees last Saturday at the Forest Preserve by my house. It was also this particular forest preserve's grand-opening day. The family that used to own the land (they were farmers) came from as far away as Missouri for the opening ceremonies. We have the patriarch of the family to thank for selling (and donating) the land to our county for open space. They could have sold to a developer but they wanted to leave a legacy.

Maybe because we worship the Lord and not a pagan earth deity.

Why not? God is everywhere. Planting a tree for future generations can certainly bring someone to Christ.
    You don't "Bring people to Christ" with inanimate objects. He is knowable, but unless that tree becomes paper, and eventually a Bible, it will have no value in expressing how to know The Creator who made the tree.

Are you kidding me? Because your great grandchildren have yet to be born there is no point to planting a tree so that they may enjoy that tree (and all of Gd's provisions)? What a horrible statement.
    The horrible statement is yours. They will be able to enjoy His creation just fine. God is responsible for the growth of new trees, without our help, as most "new" trees happen, unassisted by us, as part of His creation. Not because a bunch of humans, with idealistic views of nature, and the worship thereof, got together with a shovel and some saplings.

Should we give up and not work towards the betterment of... anything?
    No it means we should focus on the eternal and not the senseless pursuit of gimmicky observances. The whole "Earth Day" is much larger than trees. It is leftist to the core, look at what else the worshipers propose we do, on the "Earth".

If we wish to prepare for our children''s future we need to take an active interest in the Earth today, that includes considering what to do about debt, health care, pollution, wars, famine, ignorance etc...

I suppose that we reject This Life and The Earth than we live a monastic existence. But I don't believe a monastic existence is for everyone.
    That is a gross oversimplification. Preparing for our kid's future is to see that they know Jesus, personally. All the things you listed are getting worse due to corruption of the human soul, and God said it would happen. Perhaps a better understanding of His plan would do better than the hippy fest of "Earth Day".

Monasticism is silly as well since it is man imposed self sacrifice as a means to an end. Stewardship, as God designed it, would not require huge governments, huge budgets, massive control etc. etc. We are unfortunately far from willing to have God rule, so man will continue to destroy one another and harm this creation, until God intervenes. That will indeed bee the ultimate "Earth Day".

Romans 8

21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

Acts 3

20 and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, 21 whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.
    There is One King, and He is not this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopea9052 View Post
    I don't care, I don't care and I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by OnceWasLost View Post
    You don't "Bring people to Christ" with inanimate objects. He is knowable, but unless that tree becomes paper, and eventually a Bible, it will have no value in expressing how to know The Creator who made the tree.

The horrible statement is yours. They will be able to enjoy His creation just fine. God is responsible for the growth of new trees, without our help, as most "new" trees happen, unassisted by us, as part of His creation. Not because a bunch of humans, with idealistic views of nature, and the worship thereof, got together with a shovel and some saplings.

No it means we should focus on the eternal and not the senseless pursuit of gimmicky observances. The whole "Earth Day" is much larger than trees. It is leftist to the core, look at what else the worshipers propose we do, on the "Earth".

That is a gross oversimplification. Preparing for our kid's future is to see that they know Jesus, personally. All the things you listed are getting worse due to corruption of the human soul, and God said it would happen. Perhaps a better understanding of His plan would do better than the hippy fest of "Earth Day".

Monasticism is silly as well since it is man imposed self sacrifice as a means to an end. Stewardship, as God designed it, would not require huge governments, huge budgets, massive control etc. etc. We are unfortunately far from willing to have God rule, so man will continue to destroy one another and harm this creation, until God intervenes. That will indeed bee the ultimate "Earth Day".
    This is what I worry about the most with my boys..... much, much more then if they have a tree to look at or not..... our home is not on this earth..... I want my boys to come home to their REAL home...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    My grandson & I were watching Sprout TV this morning.

As a way of celebrating Earth Day, they were teaching kids to sing that old favorite we learned in Sunday School, "We got the whole world in our hands...."