Thread: Question on when it's time to leave your church...

Default Question on when it's time to leave your church...

So, In the past 5 years my church has been through 2 youth pastors. The first was hired right before we joined after the church let go of the previous one. Then, 3 years ago they let go of the one that was there when we joined. And, now they just let go of our FABULOUS youth pastor. There's always a "reason" but it's never a GOOD reason. Ie: they never did anything wrong per se. THe biggest issue I have is that we lose a TON of families when we lose our youth pastors.

In the past we didn't have kids so it wasn't much of an issue to us, but now we do. A precocious, precious 2 year old DD and another one on the way. I don't want to have to rebuild the SUnday School every time the church decides to move along the youth pastor. KWIM? We also REALLY liked this youth pastor.

As importantly, my church denomination is ELCA. We've been immune to a lot of the issues facing the main church as our church is very conservative, but now there are noises about the whole practicing gays in the ministry thing which I am 100% against.

So, here's my question... how do you know its time to change churches? I LOVE our church family - we have wonderful friends, a fantastic support system and I really do love it there. But, the politics and the spiritual battle that is about to take place over the whole gay thing... I just don't have the energy to deal with it. For my DH it's like water off the duck's back. He doesn't feel impacted by any of it and isn't all that interested in looking for another church home...

ANy advice would be very much appreciated!!!

silent one Guest

Ugh. If you have to even think about "fighting" with your church or members over homosexuality, it's time to find a new church.

Yeah. We decided after talking to the Youth Pastor that it's time. DH had a conversation with him and they dismissed him without cause. 100% without cause - he confronted the senior pastor about something and the Senior Pastor fired him the next day. They sent the letter out to our church before they even actually had the conversation with him... The rest of the staff is wondering if they're next because the same management issues bother them as bothered the Youth Pastor. I mean, how is treating people that way POSSIBLY Biblical?

It makes me so sad to leave the church, but this is the 2nd time in the last 5 years they've done this, and that coupled with the homosexual thing... it's time to move along. We're going to go tomorrow as there is an early service and some missionaries we've been supporting are speaking, and then we're going to start looking for a new church home.

marie2 Guest

Bible

ANYTHING that goes "blatantly" against the bible, (homosexuality) is certainly reason to start searching for a bible based church.

I'm so sorry. It's hard to leave a place that feels comfortably like home. But as others have said, if they're going blatantly against the Bible and being drawn into those issues, plus treating their staff like that... it can't be a healthy environment for your family.

Do you have other churches in the area you plan to explore? I pray that you'll find the right place!!

Cris

We do have other churches we plan to explore. There are a couple that some of our other friends are VERY happy with, so we'll be checking them out starting mid next month...

I wish this wasn't happeneing while I'm pregnant - I'm so much more emotional about it then I otherwise would be. Hormones... The thought of leaving the people there makes me want to cry, but I know we need to do this now.