Zerozx Guest

It's related to European debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozx View Post
    It's related to European debt.
    That's certainly a valid reason.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength

Zerozx Guest

There's a lot more info in the link, but this is the gist of it:

Dow plunges 213 points, breaks 11K - http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/27/mark...york/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks fell Tuesday after Standard & Poors cut Greece's debt rating to junk and lowered Portugal's debt rating, raising fears that a euro zone debt crisis could slow the global economic recovery.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) tumbled 213 points, or 1.9%, closing below 11,000, a key psychological level. The Dow ended the previous session at its highest point in 19 months.

The slide was the Dow's biggest one-day point drop since July 15, 2009 when it lost 257 points.

The S&P 500 index (SPX) fell 28 points, or 2.3%, closing below 1200, a psychological level traders look at. The Nasdaq composite (COMP) slid 51 points, or 2%.

Stocks were flat to lower in the morning as Goldman Sachs' sought to defend itself on Capitol Hill against allegations it profited from the housing market collapse. But news that ratings agency Standard & Poor's had cut Greece and Portugal's debt ratings overshadowed everything else, giving investors a reason to retreat on the back of an 8-week advance.

"We're seeing the fear factor kick in about Greece and Portugal," said Peter Cardillo, chief market economist at Avalon Partners. "That's rattling the market."

He said that fear was also reflected in the so-called flight to quality as investors poured money into bonds and the euro fell to a new low for the year.

That was reflected by a jump in the CBOE Volatility index, Wall Street's so-called "fear gauge," which spiked 17% after briefly touching highs not seen since February. Typically a surge in the VIX corresponds with a selloff in stocks.

Greece: Standard & Poor's cut its ratings on Greece's long-term debt status to "BB+" with a negative outlook from "BBB+." The double-B plus rating is considered to be speculative or "junk," and reflects the ratings agency's concern about Greece's long-term ability to get out from underneath the its current fiscal crisis. S&P cut Greece's short-term debt even lower.

S&P also cut Portugal's long-term debt ratings by two notches and the short-term rating by one notch, but did not lower the debt to junk status.

The cost of insuring both Greece and Portugal's debt rose to record highs following the news.

Worries about the fiscal health of Greece and the other so-called PIIGS have weighed on the stock market on and off since the start of the year as investors worry the weakness will destabilize the euro and hurt global growth. The PIIGS are Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain.

Sari Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozx View Post
    There's a lot more info in the link, but this is the gist of it:

Dow plunges 213 points, breaks 11K - http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/27/mark...york/index.htm
    Thanks Zerozx!!!

Zerozx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sari View Post
    Thanks Zerozx!!!

lol, that means it will jump 300 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sari View Post
    -213.04 today.
    The Goldman-Sachs hearings on the hill did'nt help,I'm sure..
    Isaiah 41:10

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

i was surprised to see it drop today. i'm sure tomorrow it will go up again. seems thats what it has been doing lately.

Did anyone else notice that the S&P 500 is almost lower than the price of gold???
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)