Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.3-magnitude earthquake near Mindanao/Cotabato, Philippines

3 big ones right in a row!! Really...how often does that happen??

Zerozx Guest

Three major but deep earthquakes strike close to Mindanao, Philippines - http://wireupdate.com/wires/7974/thr...o-philippines/

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — A series of three major earthquakes struck close to a Philippines island on early Saturday morning, seismologists said, but they were located too deep to cause damage or create tsunami waves.

The first earthquake, at 6.08 a.m. local time (2208 GMT Friday), had a magnitude of 7.3 on the Richter scale and was centered about 100 kilometers (65 miles) southwest of Cotabato, a city located on the Philippines island of Mindanao. It struck about 604.5 kilometers (375.6 miles) deep, making it an extremely deep earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency of Indonesia measured the strength of the earthquake at 7.0 on the Richter scale, while the Malaysian Meteorological Department reported a 6.9-magnitude.

Minutes later, at 06.19 a.m. local time (2219 GMT Friday), a moderate aftershock struck close to the epicenter of the first earthquake. The USGS measured the strength of that earthquake at 5.4 on the Richter scale, at a depth of 594.8 kilometers (369.6 miles).

Later, at 06.51 a.m. local time (2251 GMT Friday), another major earthquake struck close to the other earthquakes. The USGS measured the strength of that earthquake at 7.6 on the Richter scale, larger than the initial earthquake. This earthquake also struck deep below the ocean, at a depth of about 575 kilometers (357 miles).

About 25 minutes later, at 07.15 a.m. local time (2315 GMT Friday), another 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck the same area at a depth of around 614 kilometers (381 miles).

The USGS estimated that around 19.3 million people likely perceived weak shaking as a result of the 7.6-magnitude earthquake, while 1.6 million others were estimated to have perceived light shaking.

The agency further estimated that around 21 million people perceived weak shaking as a result of the other two large earthquakes, but said they were too deep to cause any damage.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said no tsunami had been generated as a result of the earthquakes, mostly due to the depth of the earthquakes. “A destructive tsunami was not generated based on earthquake and historical tsunami data,” the agency said in a bulletin.

On August 16, 1976, a massive 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck 65 kilometers (40 miles) of Saturday’s earthquake, killing more than 7,000 people and leaving more than 10,000 others injured in the quake and resulting tsunami.

Most recently, a 7.5-magnitude earthquake off Mindanao on March 2, 2002 killed at least 15 people and injured more than 100 others. A resulting tsunami caused no casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozx View Post
    Is there any way you can contact them to see if they're okay? I'm sure they are, these quakes were all very deep. If anything, they may have felt some light shaking.
    Yes, I was relieved to hear the quakes were that deep. The population is all Muslim, and it's an extremely dangerous environment--much more than these deep-earth shakes.
    The few Christians are extremely remote in Mindanao; the church may/may not report on Sunday. Continuing in prayer.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

The people of the Philippines are having such a rough time of it lately. Well actually not just lately it is on going.

We have many Fillipinos here in Australia, most of them Christian. They really worry for their families and friends back home it is hard for them being here and hearing constantly of the weather events that often result in tradgey and some deaths back home.

Praying for the people of the Philippines, may the Lord have mercy on them. May the Lord cover our brothers and sisters in Christ under His wings and provide all their daily needs. Praying for the salvation of those who are lost and for those who have been hurt or affected by these last few extreme weather events. Amen

I'm curious, but what is up with all these earthquakes today? My goodness. I was speechless when I heard about the huge ones, one right after the other.

I thank the Lord that these EQs were so deep. Earthquakes that large would probably be deadly, cause a lot of injuries and result in a lot of damage if they were shallow. And 3 in rapid succession like that. I don't even like to think about how bad things could have been.

EarsToHear, please let us know as soon as you hear from your sister church.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Default My thought, being in California,

Quote Originally Posted by Zerozx View Post
    Here are the magnitudes: 7.3, 7.6 and 7.4

They just now updated the second one to a 7.6...but I'm not even sure if you can call the 7.6 an "aftershock" if it was stronger than the initial quake... might as well give all of them their own "earthquake" label rather than just one earthquake and 2 major aftershocks.
    is that they would call the 7.3 a "foreshock" and the 7.6 the "real quake" & the 7.4 an "aftershock".

Or that's what Dr. Lucy Jones at CalTech would say

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    I'm curious, but what is up with all these earthquakes today? My goodness. I was speechless when I heard about the huge ones, one right after the other.
    Same here! I was checking usgs during a commerical break...watching a tv movie. I was shocked to see 3 of that magnitude right in a row!!

Quote Originally Posted by jadeeyes View Post
    I thank the Lord that these EQs were so deep. Earthquakes that large would probably be deadly, cause a lot of injuries and result in a lot of damage if they were shallow. And 3 in rapid succession like that. I don't even like to think about how bad things could have been.

EarsToHear, please let us know as soon as you hear from your sister church.
    Jadeeyes, thank you for praying. Will do.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Zerozx Guest

Strong aftershock hits the Philippines days after major earthquakes - http://wireupdate.com/wires/8132/str...r-earthquakes/

MANILA (BNO NEWS) — A strong aftershock hit close to a Philippines island on Thursday afternoon, days after a series of major earthquakes that struck too deep to cause any damage.

The 6.4-magnitude earthquake at 3.31 p.m. local time (0731 GMT) was centered about 125 kilometers (80 miles) southwest of Cotabato, a city located on the Philippines island of Mindanaeo. It struck about 618.8 kilometers (384.5 miles) deep, making it an extremely deep earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

The agency estimated that approximately 20.1 million people likely perceived weak shaking as a result of the earthquake, which has no potential to cause damage.

A geophysicist at the agency said the earthquake was an aftershock to a series of major earthquakes that struck on early Saturday morning, causing no damage due to their depth. The area was then hit by a series of earthquakes with magnitudes of 7.3, 7.6, 7.4 and 6.5.

On August 16, 1976, a massive 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck 81 kilometers (50 miles) of Saturday’s earthquake, killing more than 7,000 people and leaving more than 10,000 others injured in the quake and resulting tsunami.

Most recently, a 7.5-magnitude earthquake off Mindanao on March 2, 2002 killed at least 15 people and injured more than 100 others. A resulting tsunami caused no casualties.

They are really getting pounded there!

Default Not all...

Some people in Mindanao are Christian. I have a friend from there that is a Pentacostal.

Edward, look up!

Jeff