Thread: How's That 'Spread the Wealth Around' Going?

Default How's That 'Spread the Wealth Around' Going?

August 17, 2010
    How's That 'Spread the Wealth Around' Going?
    By Christopher Chantrill

Conservatives' favorite moment in the 2008 campaign was the altercation between the Anointed One and Joe the Plumber.

Back then, Joe Wurzelbacher was worried that Obama's plan to raise taxes on the wealthy, those making more than $250,000 per year, would hurt folks like him. Wurzelbacher planned to buy a plumbing business, and he was afraid that he'd end up in the $250,000 bracket that Obama wanted to penalize. No, no, Candidate Obama replied, Joe would get all kinds of tax breaks and credits for his business.

It's not that I want to punish your success...I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody.

How's that "spread the wealth" going, Mr. President, in this summer of recovery? Time for the Fed to print a trillion or two in new money?

Spreading the wealth seems like a good idea, rather like Mom spreading frosting on a cake: tasty and yummy. In reality, of course, governments don't ever spread the wealth. They take money from some people and give it to others. It's more like leaf-raking. You rake the leaves together, and then you hand them over to your political pals for disbursement among their supporters. It's a bit like passing a $26-billion bill to save the jobs and cushy retirements of well-paid teachers and state government workers.

more here : http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/...wealth_ar.html

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Born Again 2006 Guest

Originally posted by Ron for Jesus : "cushy retirements of well-paid teachers...." Why is there a problem with teachers being well paid? They have made the effort to have themselves educated above a high school level, contribute to their own retirement, and had the desire to impact the lives of children in a positive way. And by the way, pay federal, state, and local taxes on their income. Is it possible that the OP may be harboring jealsousy and covetousness which pervade his comments related to the teaching profession?

Spread the wealth around? You've got to be kidding. As greedy and It's all about me that our society is.They will be prying the money out of their dead cold hands.

Traveling Through Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ron4jesus View Post
    August 17, 2010
    How's That 'Spread the Wealth Around' Going?
    By Christopher Chantrill

Conservatives' favorite moment in the 2008 campaign was the altercation between the Anointed One and Joe the Plumber.

Back then, Joe Wurzelbacher was worried that Obama's plan to raise taxes on the wealthy, those making more than $250,000 per year, would hurt folks like him. Wurzelbacher planned to buy a plumbing business, and he was afraid that he'd end up in the $250,000 bracket that Obama wanted to penalize. No, no, Candidate Obama replied, Joe would get all kinds of tax breaks and credits for his business.

It's not that I want to punish your success...I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody.

How's that "spread the wealth" going, Mr. President, in this summer of recovery? Time for the Fed to print a trillion or two in new money?

Spreading the wealth seems like a good idea, rather like Mom spreading frosting on a cake: tasty and yummy. In reality, of course, governments don't ever spread the wealth. They take money from some people and give it to others. It's more like leaf-raking. You rake the leaves together, and then you hand them over to your political pals for disbursement among their supporters. It's a bit like passing a $26-billion bill to save the jobs and cushy retirements of well-paid teachers and state government workers.

more here : http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/...wealth_ar.html
    My wife is an associate professor at a local university. She got her doctorate with hard work and dedication. Cushy retirement? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Through View Post
    My wife is an associate professor at a local university. She got her doctorate with hard work and dedication. Cushy retirement? Really?
    Compared to others maybe.

I work full time in state government and part time in federal government. My salary is modest as I'm holding out for Uncle Sam to spread a little frosting my way

Actually, I don't believe Ron was referring to every teacher or government worker receiving these elaborate pay increases. There have been reports of abuse with certain groups of people not as a whole but small pockets thoughout the US. As with any position (private or gov.) there will be corruption as more and more liberals and special interest groups dictate what should or should not be passed because of political ties, happens everyday. There are so much going on behind the scenes that we know very little about.

RobertB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again 2006 View Post
    Originally posted by Ron for Jesus : "cushy retirements of well-paid teachers...." Why is there a problem with teachers being well paid? They have made the effort to have themselves educated above a high school level, contribute to their own retirement, and had the desire to impact the lives of children in a positive way. And by the way, pay federal, state, and local taxes on their income. Is it possible that the OP may be harboring jealsousy and covetousness which pervade his comments related to the teaching profession?
    Jealousy and covetousness? Coveting what? Perhaps the remark might have been a subtle allusion, to a political connection.

First, running to the defense of my good Bro, Ron...he didn't write the article. The author is Christopher Chantrill, so it's probably not Bro. Ron's personal beliefs, but the author's.

The main point of the article is about taking from the 'rich' and spreading the money around, thus destroying the free marketplace incentive. The author is also objecting to teacher bailouts, which have nothing to do with their retirements.

The bailouts, which may or may not be valid in one's opinion, are preventing teaching jobs lost in this terrible economy. Do you want your child to be in a classroom with 80 other kids, or only 35? If the state is broke, who is going to teach in our state-run schools if there's no money to keep teachers there?

2nd, my hubby and I are both teachers. In the Calif. system, we put our own money, a % of which is matched by the school district, into retirement. It is invested, and held until retirement age. Cushy? Hardly.

Mr. Chantrill may not know that most teacher's income is way below business owners, or other white collar jobs. We start low, and slowly work our way up. While we are placing our money --taken out of our paycheck--into retirement, we are not paying into Social Security at all.

Teachers make a great many financial sacrifices, beginning with 5 years, at least, of college. Plus, state tests and credentials cost money. These come out of our pocket.

I think there is a significant amount that Chantrill doesn't know about the sacrifices that teachers make.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that is within us, to HIM BE GLORY!"Eph. 3:20, 21

[Heather sidesteps the whole teacher thing]

What's ironic: Obama's fan base is irrationally loyal and refuse to hear a word against him. My nephew, about my age, recently posted a "humorous" image of Obama telling "someone" to "leave me alone so I can fix this [bad word #2]"

Then he became a "fan" of the group "If you can afford alcohol you shouldn't be on foodstamps". Irony: this "Disabled" nephew of mine has sired 3 children, and spends all day on Facebook, since becoming "disabled". And sees nothing wrong with this. I know Judge Judy would LOVE him.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Sari Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again 2006 View Post
    Maybe because most teachers are not teaching anymore!!! It takes $7,000 to $8,000 a kid for one year of public school, yet kids STILL can't read or write!!!! ....AND THEY STILL WANT MORE MONEY!!!!! My kid is in christian school takes about $3,800 for one year, tested high school and college level, and he was in 6th grade.

Good article Ron!!!
    Last edited by Sari; August 18th, 2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Adoration View Post
    First, running to the defense of my good Bro, Ron...he didn't write the article. The author is Christopher Chantrill, so it's probably not Bro. Ron's personal beliefs, but the author's.

The main point of the article is about taking from the 'rich' and spreading the money around, thus destroying the free marketplace incentive. The author is also objecting to teacher bailouts, which have nothing to do with their retirements.

The bailouts, which may or may not be valid in one's opinion, are preventing teaching jobs lost in this terrible economy. Do you want your child to be in a classroom with 80 other kids, or only 35? If the state is broke, who is going to teach in our state-run schools if there's no money to keep teachers there?

2nd, my hubby and I are both teachers. In the Calif. system, we put our own money, a % of which is matched by the school district, into retirement. It is invested, and held until retirement age. Cushy? Hardly.

Mr. Chantrill may not know that most teacher's income is way below business owners, or other white collar jobs. We start low, and slowly work our way up. While we are placing our money --taken out of our paycheck--into retirement, we are not paying into Social Security at all.

Teachers make a great many financial sacrifices, beginning with 5 years, at least, of college. Plus, state tests and credentials cost money. These come out of our pocket.

I think there is a significant amount that Chantrill doesn't know about the sacrifices that teachers make.
    Thanks Adoration, yes I just posted what someone else said not my opinion. I didn't write the article.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sari View Post
    Maybe because most teachers are not teaching anymore!!! It takes $7,000 to $8,000 a kid for one year of public school, yet kids STILL can't read or write!!!! ....AND THEY STILL WANT MORE MONEY!!!!! My kid is in christian school takes about $3,800 for one year, tested high school and college level, and he was in 6th grade.

Good article Ron!!!

As someone with a BA in Elementary Ed, I unfortunately have to agree. When I got my degree 5 years ago, I wouldn't hesitate to say that 80% of my peers in the teaching program were there because it was "easy" compared to other degree programs and you were basically guaranteed a job and paycheck once you graduated. I saw the same thing with many teachers as well during my internships. They didn't care about the kids, they were just there to get a paycheck. I am not saying that there aren't any good teachers out there still, but they are few and far between, and you're lucky to come across 2 or 3 during your child's entire educational career. These were the main reasons I decided to homeschool my own kids.

I've never really understood the who putting teachers on pedestals thing either. I mean, they get hired right out of school with very good pay, especially when you consider that they get two-three months off in the summer and holidays off as well. What other profession starts you off at $30K, good benefits, summer months and long holidays off? I think that is a pretty cushy job.

You're welcome Ron.

With all due respect, let me add a correction: Sari, you were saying teachers still want more money. Not in our district. My husband's paycheck has been frozen since 2008, and after-school sports were just cut last June. This means we don't have 3,000.00 additional income to pay our home's property taxes. We're going to have to cut somewhere else, in a frozen salary, to find that money.
    The bailouts are simply to keep teachers IN jobs, not give them more pay...states are bankrupt, literally. If we want our public schools to operate at all...there needs to be funds to do that.
    (btw, we sent our kids to Christian private schools too, and they are ahead in their grades, with great test scores. I'm not saying that public education is 'awesome', just that it is an established system with a great deal of dedicated teachers--still.)

And Emmie, again with all due respect, if you believe teacher's jobs are 'cushy'... Is 'cushy' bad? Is it 'bad' to have a 'cushy' job? Does 'cushy' mean easy? Does it mean well-paid for the amount of effort put out?
    Just wondering what you think.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that is within us, to HIM BE GLORY!"Eph. 3:20, 21

I have no problem with teachers being paid what they deserve to be paid. However, I do have a SERIOUS problem with the NEA that basically forces these same teachers to pay union dues to and who in turn gives millions and millions of dollars to support the Demonrat party. A lot of that $26 billion that just got passed will eventually end up in the coffers of the Demonrats' for re-election! THAT's the problem I have!

Quote Originally Posted by Adoration View Post

And Emmie, again with all due respect, if you believe teacher's jobs are 'cushy'... Is 'cushy' bad? Is it 'bad' to have a 'cushy' job? Does 'cushy' mean easy? Does it mean well-paid for the amount of effort put out?
    Just wondering what you think.
    No, it's not bad to have a cushy job...it's great actually. That's why I have never understood why a lot of teachers/teacher's unions make themselves sound so sacrificial...like they do what they do for peanuts or something. I was just pointing out that everyone is so quick to point out how hard teachers work and how little they are paid, but when you look at the bigger picture, they are paid decently for the amount of tume that they work. Like I mentioned before, there are great teachers out there who do truly work to better our children, but the majority that I have personally come in contact with do it for the paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerSailing81 View Post
    I have no problem with teachers being paid what they deserve to be paid. However, I do have a SERIOUS problem with the NEA that basically forces these same teachers to pay union dues to and who in turn gives millions and millions of dollars to support the Demonrat party. A lot of that $26 billion that just got passed will eventually end up in the coffers of the Demonrats' for re-election! THAT's the problem I have!
    How do you determine what a teacher deserves to be paid? That's the million dollar question.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerSailing81 View Post
    Exactly!

And what do they (the dems) want to do with the fact that Johnny can't read or do math? They want to just throw MORE MONEY at it. As another poster said, more money, and Johnny still can't read.

I have had it with the public school system here. Our schools get over $10,000 per student per year, and STILL they are struggling, and still they want a referendum on the ballot every couple of years. I could put my children in a wonderful Christian school for HALF that! Our school district, which used to be a premier district thirty years ago, keeps closing schools and shuffling students, and even busses them in from the inner city. We have abandoned schools--just buildings sitting empty-- that charter schools have expressed interest in buying, and the district won't sell them to the charter school because of competition. Niiiiice. I thought it was about educating our children! The school district is complaining because they are bleeding students to private and charter schools, and says they are "stealing them" from the district.

Perhaps they need to ask why. But they won't.

In a few more years they will hold their hands out for more tax dollars via another referendum (after the last one passed, they STILL closed schools!) lambasting anyone who doesn't agree with throwing more money at the district as child haters, and Johnny still won't be able to read or multiply and divide.

And, no, my kids will NOT be attending the public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmieAZ View Post
    How do you determine what a teacher deserves to be paid? That's the million dollar question.
    Yep, that is indeed the $26 BILLION dollar question.