Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,001 to 1,017 of 1017

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Koalie View Post
    But I wonder...would our fancy generator even work after a solar flare? It's a duel fuel one (propane or gas.) <---- I imagine Trex would know the answer to this.
    A solar flare is different from a nuclear EMP. Only things that are hooked up to outside power or telephone wiring would be in danger. Even if your generator is automatic, the box that switches over to it would protect it, so it would still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
    A solar flare is different from a nuclear EMP. Only things that are hooked up to outside power or telephone wiring would be in danger. Even if your generator is automatic, the box that switches over to it would protect it, so it would still be good.
    That's good to know Rex, thanks. My husband mentioned getting another one to piggyback it to the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Cricket---House of Spies is on my beside table waiting for me to pick it up. Both my husband and mom loved the book.
    Have you read his other books???? They are so good.

Should I start with this one. I have never read any of his works. It is also only $2.99.

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon Series Book 1)
    And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
    Romans 11:6

Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    Should I start with this one. I have never read any of his works. It is also only $2.99.

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon Series Book 1)
    I did not read the books in order. Some people like to do that but I do not think it is necessary.
    Enjoy them, I could not put them down.

Thanks.
    And if by grace, then it is no longer by works: if it were, grace would no longer be grace.

The Great Quake. It's about the 1964 Alaska earthquake, which is supposed to be the biggest quake ever recorded in North America....about 9.2.

Take one and pass it on!

I just finished Francine River's book 'Redeeming Love'. I tried to read it 15 years ago but couldn't get past the first few chapters...probably because of painful childhood memories.
    I found it at a thrift store for a dollar and decided to give it a try again. I'm so glad I did. Much of the book was just so 'raw' and the story in and of itself demonstrates how God never seizes to show grace and love.
    He is my Redeemer and I'm so thankful that He's never given up on me.

I borrowed "Without Warning" by Joel Rosenberg in e-book format from our library. For me anyway, this is by far the best he's written. I give him 5 stars for this book.

He does fall short in the description of what might happen with the diesel engined Mercedes. Diesel fuel does not have the same properties as gasoline, and while it'll burn, it is not explosive. My faults with Rosenberg in the past has been that he hasn't done enough research to mimic reality in his writing, and that is necessary for a top notch fiction writer. My knowledge of intelligence methods has made some of his books less than stellar for me, but this one has me hooked. Finished it! I didn't find the finish very believable but that didn't spoil the enjoyment I had reading the book.
    Last edited by Tall Timbers; November 7th, 2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Lectures on the Epistle of Paul to the Colosians, 1867, William Kelly The book includes Mr. Kelly's useful English translation of Colossians.

William Kelly (1820 - 1906) was a highly regarded scholar and expositor of Scripture writing on almost every book of the Bible but also serving as editor of, "The Collected Writings of J.N. Darby" (34 vols). He also translated Mr. Darby's, "Synopsis of the Books of the Bible" from Darby's original French into English. Mr. Kelly published the monthly periodical, "The Bible Treasury" from 1856 until his decease. He wrote extensively on prophetic themes from a premillinial pretribulational standing. Mr. Kelly's writings have been kept in print over the last 150 years as testimony to the quality of his teaching.

Marvin

Dissolving Illusions: Disease, Vaccines, and the Forgotten History, by Suzanne Humphries, MD and Roman Bystrianyk.

Borrowing this from an amazon review - because I couldn't put it into words any better: "If you are interested in a fact-based, well-cited, candid discussion of the history of infectious disease and medical trends in the past few centuries, and the current scientific issues involving vaccines, immunology, and nutrition, then this book is for you. 479 pages of content, with footnotes of scholarly historical and scientific sources from the 18th, 19th, 20th, and/or 21st centuries on nearly every page. I tried to read it with scrutiny, and I was impressed. I don't recommend this book if you are uncomfortable with questioning the status quo, because after reading the facts in this work I don't think you'll have much choice."

There are a host of issues children today are dealing with that prior generations hadn't. Including my own generation. Where as I was "fully vaxxed" with about 16 doses (and prior generations had even less) kids today are at...72. ..and unless you've stayed up-to-date with all of your adult ones your childhood ones are most likely expired by this point in your life.

It doesn't matter what side of the fence you fall on, be informed. Science isn't a hard stop, it continues to grow/change/evolve and it should always be questioned (especially when us imperfect people are involved).

This thread.

I recently read 'Hitler's Children' by Gerald Posner. It was one of those pop-ups on my Paperwhite.
    It contains in-depth interviews by the children of Hitler's henchmen, and how their father's actions affected their lives. All of the contributors had to agree to speak under their real names, and agree that they could not edit their comments.
    It was a very interesting reality check, and a format I have not seen before.

Recommend highly if you are interested in the subject...

I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Ernie Pyle "Last Chapter" chronicling his experiences with the fighting men in the Pacific theater of WW2. At some point he is killed by a Japanese sniper.

His previous book "Brave Men" I enjoyed as well. It concerned the European theater of war.
    He has others as well. I plan to buy his book on the London blitz in the future.

I am reading Not A Day Care by Dr. Everett Piper, the president of a Christian university. It discusses the current "snowflake" trend of students in America's colleges. They have abandoned truth and learning for focus on feelings, opiniions, and offenses.

Take one and pass it on!

While visiting the Handmeup store I was looking through the book section and noticed More Than A carpenter by Josh McDowell, it was $0.33 and hoping I enjoy it and learn more of my savior.
    John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Fatherís hand. I and the Father are one.

Gorbachev by William Taubman.