Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: Meditation, Yoga & Zumba

  1. #21
    NewWorldOrder Guest

    Default

    I'm just going to draw a comparison here. Let's say it was some kind of Islamic tradition, but we don't agree with Islam, but this tradition in and of itself isn't really bad just the parts that go against God's Word; so what if we just take out the parts we don't like and do this tradition anyway. It's still an Islamic tradition, all we've done is change it to suit our sensibilities.

    What about Christianity. We're seeing the very same thing in the church. We are adding to and taking away from God's mandates and His Word to suit our sensibilities. So many churches have taken out the parts they don't like and changed them to suit it to their tastes. God says to stay away from pagan type rituals, so what we do is change those pagans rituals to suit a Christian philosophy and give it a Christian name, but doing so doesn't change what it is. The Catholic Church has done that for centuries to gain converts. If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Ok, I knew Yoga was bad, but I didnt know about spinning. I've taken many spinning classes and I've never seen what you are describing. I know it all depends on the instructor but you can't just throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was one of the BEST workouts I have EVER gotten and after I have this baby I plan on spinning to get the baby weight off! LOL There was nothing mind/body about it, just cycling that makes you feel like you want to die, haha.


    Hilary, mommy to Charlotte (12/08) and Clara (11/10)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truthwarrior View Post
    What about pilates- any background with this method of fitness?
    I will get something up in a bit about the roots of Pilates, named for the man who created it, Joseph Piliates.

    Quote Originally Posted by truthsaves View Post
    There can be benefits to physical excercise and meditation. Just ignore the chakras and mystical
    Again, as I said to the other person who expressed the same, the poses themselves are problematic. Read the articles posted about yoga itself. By the way, the most beneficial for flexibility, theraputic value, saftey and strengthening a muscle group kind of stretching is something called dynamic stretching or active isolated stretch. Mattis from the U of I was a "father" to this and the Whartons (a father and son team) have pioneered the method for both therapy and sports application (and have served Olympic clientelle and professional athletes as well as private clients who are severely debilitated---the have a book called The Wharton Stretch Book). I studied directly under them and have taught the method myself at conferences along with dynamic stretch, which also has a sports basis, where you are not just moving a muscle group, but you are also in linear motion while you do it where both form, core conditioning, strengthening, and aerobic conditioning are all completely integrated. I would recommend these over yoga any day.

    They need not be combined; they are inverse in intensity and approach, but they could be complementary. The active isolated stretch is done lying down, which is the theraputic part and can be done alone with a rope or hands on with a therapist. You are moving the whole time, one muscle group at a time, never holding longer than about 2 seconds (you have a myotatic reflect when you stretch at the end of the range of motion and that is what you are working to extend when you stretch---best and most safely done through movement). Dynamic stretch is all on your feet and you are not just moving in place, you are moving forward or sideways, you might be using your hands to "walk" your body, etc. It's a heavy duty workout/warm-up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Br Philip View Post
    REALLY, now i am not going to argue this Yoga thing , Or say your wrong either,
    I do not go into the devils playground or near it myself, but with the SAME Logic you APPLY to your statement

    Please answer this then, IS ChrIstian Rock, Rap and Heavy metal acceptable, can ONE take the original Intentions of this and turn IT into Christian----there is plenty of Other music out there ----------it originated from demonic origins too,------------ Picking and choosing , very sound thinking
    My goal is very simple and applies to what I know, both with my own professional background and because I was behind the scenes and at the forefront teaching and creating and representing three major companies worldwide what is happening and has been happening for the benefit of Christians who care. You may not and if you are in Christ, you have His grace upon you. You are forgiven and you may do whatever you want to do, however Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith, and I would ask you to consider his words to us. He also tells us that not everything s beneficial. His Word dispells the darkness and gives us His standard with which to measure. I feel like I cannot help but speak out. We are not to be yoked with the unbelieving or to behave like the world. In my personal walk, this stands out to me right now.

    Pleaser remember that I had to tell one of my very closest friends, because she came to me and asked me both as Christian and as a [former] fitness professional after her own yoga experiences, while she has terminal metastatic breast cancer and has been battling it for more than 8 years now which is all over and in her bones and causing her severe pain, will not take anything stronger than Ibuprofen, and got relief from her yoga classes, what I thought. She also hoped that I might have an alternative. The AI Stretch is that alternative for her and could be done even if bed ridden. She felt like she was compromised by being in the yoga class.

    What I have said will not be popular. Paul tells us to examine ourselves in 2 Corinthians to see if we are in the faith and in Romans 8 , Paul talks about how the purpose for our lives is to become more like Christ. Is the Lord showing you something here? It's your walk with Him. My goal is not to be legalistic. In my walk, I want to live to please the Lord and be like Him and not to purposely grieve the Holy Spirit because of His grace. It is not up to me to do anything more than the work He set out ahead of time for me in Christ (Ep 2:10).You are Spirit-led. Ask the Lord, not me, about those things. I am just like you, forgiven and blessed and under His grace.

    Quote Originally Posted by hilhill View Post
    Ok, I knew Yoga was bad, but I didnt know about spinning. I've taken many spinning classes and I've never seen what you are describing. I know it all depends on the instructor but you can't just throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was one of the BEST workouts I have EVER gotten and after I have this baby I plan on spinning to get the baby weight off! LOL There was nothing mind/body about it, just cycling that makes you feel like you want to die, haha.
    Again, you are going to have to take this on an instructor basis. It's what they decide to include. I threw out all the mind/body stuff and approached it from a science and sports angle only. There is nothing better than indoor cycling for aerobic conditioning, period. Indoor cycling in and of itself is not bad. You might also have a non-Spinning trained instructor also. Spinning is the first, best known and premier program on the planet, and has it's own equipment, program, techniques, patents, etc. Evaluate every instructor---they can be Spinning trained and educated and not follow the program for the methodology at all and just sticking with the basic movements and that's it. The program itself in methodology includes mind/body as a component and wants instructors to teach it--they also want everyone to wear a heart rate monitor and teach energy zones and the formats that go with it. It does not mean that the instructor will do it.

    For the one who asked: My undergrad work was in Chemistry, minor in Biology. When I was in the business, I was a certified Master Instructor for the Spinning program, taught nationwide for continuing education and certification for instructors and worldwide at conferences with original Spinning program and sports based materials I created, published materials with the Spinning program for the program, and also held a USA Cycling certification/license. Before I got on staff, I had been an instructor for about 3 years and had completed all of their continuing education on their program. I held an NSCA-CPT certification for personal trainging, which is the toughest in the business to get both in passing the test and for the requirements of continuing education to keep it current. I held group instructor certifications with AFAA and ACE, which also had continuing education requirements to stay in good standing and I was a continuing education provider for both. For ACE, I was also the regional trainer for the American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid certification, and I am a certified AI Stretch Therapist. I was a certified BOSU instructor and a Master Trainer for BOSU. I also held certifications for Pilates and kickboxing. I may have forgotten a certification or two, but I think that covers it. I spent most of my local time teaching muscle and strength conditioning including AI Stretch, Pilates on the Reformer and Spinning, mostly groups, but sometimes I would take a private client at home or at a club. The program also still has at least one of my articles in their data base available online. I don't know where the others are, but they were earlier than what is there, so they may not have been available online. My first name is Nicole. You can Google my name with the Spinning program if you would like to verify me. I am not sure if they will have my whole bio up on the article or not. I am still considered an expert in the fitness field, and not just for Spinning. And I am a no body compared to many of my colleages and certainly now that I am out of the business, less than a no body.

    I feel like Paul. It means nothing and is all worthless compared to the riches in Christ Jesus. I hate my flesh and who I was. There is nothing better than being in Christ Jesus and under grace.
    Praise the Lord for the way that He has taken the desire out of me to be in the business the moment I began walking with Him.

    And rather than researching me, it would be more beneficial to look into when mind/body went mainstream---same time in fitness as Eastern and New Age practices took off in our churches. Rick Warren wrote The Purpose Drive Church, I believe the same year that Spinning formed as a company to take it beyond Johnny G's garage in Santa Monica. Pilates followed at the turn of the century/millennial and yoga within two years. All interconnected.

    I would also guess that many Christians go to their local gym, though most Christians are not coming here unfortunately to learn about what Apostasy would even look like in any sense anywhere, and I also doubt very much that many in the fitness business, especially those in anything mind/body come here. The field is ripe for witnessing and testifying to your local instructors and to those Christians you know who are deeply into mind/body stuff in that realm. I just warned another friend the other week when we bumped into teach other, and she is doing 2 Spinning classes a day now and had progressed into one of the big rides with one of the flagship Master Instructors....and could not have cared less. She had gastric by-pass and had lost 150 lbs this way and wouldn't stop for anything---and she has been very discerning in the past, part of ladies ministry at a church I did Bible study in that was huge for my growth in the Lord, but now goes to our old apostate church too! (plus she commented on how addicting Spinning is----I agree; it can be like many other things when we put it in the wrong place in our lives or put our focus on ourselves and what pleases us rather than one the Lord and what pleases Him. I was pretty addicted myself a few years ago when the Lord was not leading my life.) We need to cling to the Lord and His Word which He tells us in Psalms is proven.
    Last edited by Kliska; March 5th, 2013 at 09:16 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Br Philip View Post
    REALLY, now i am not going to argue this Yoga thing , Or say your wrong either,
    I do not go into the devils playground or near it myself, but with the SAME Logic you APPLY to your statement

    Please answer this then, IS ChrIstian Rock, Rap and Heavy metal acceptable, can ONE take the original Intentions of this and turn IT into Christian----there is plenty of Other music out there ----------it originated from demonic origins too,------------ Picking and choosing , very sound thinking
    I don't really know if that's a clearcut analogy, even though it's a fair question, reason being, yoga, "absent" of the eastern philosophy is not merely stretching, as the poses of yoga are of gods, etc. from that philosophy, not just, say, doing toe touches. The name yoga is incompatible with Christianity. With music, if the lyrics are Christian, you are saying the music itself, absent the lyrics, is demonic, which some people would argue with. Yes, there are some Christians who believe there's no place for Christian rock, etc. because of your claim, so you're not necessarily wrong. But some may ask, was all rock truly demonically influenced if it wasn't written by Christians? Some early rock was pretty innocent, lyrically. Were the Beatles influenced by a demon to pen "I Want to Hold Your Hand"? Maybe some of their later stuff, but I don't agree all rock is intended to be demonic or that it all originated that way.

    I just think the logic is different because yoga hasn't changed since it originated; it has always been tied to eastern philosophy, thus there really is no way to make it Christian, and there is other stretching not tied to religion. That's different from saying rock originated as devil music, because I'm not claiming Yoga just originated that way, but that it's always tied to that philosophy, while music written by a Christian, even if it's rock, isn't demonically influenced IMO. Yoga, on the other hand, practiced by a Christian still very much is demonically influenced IMO. How can Yoga be made to worship Christ? I don't think it can be. Music can be, IMO. Can music be harmful to Christians? Sure, it can be. If rock music is putting you in a bad mood or inspiring impure thoughts, that's not a good thing.

    If you are saying there is other music that is out there besides rock/rap/metal as an analogy to there being other stretching that's innocent, you're saying Christians can only morally listen to hymns--no rock--even if that rock is worshipful in some way, but if the lyrics are worshipful and Christian, how is that music demonically influenced if it puts me in a good mood rather than a bad one? I think there is definitely a Christian rock market that is not demonically influenced, but there's no form of yoga that isn't demonically influenced, and that's where the logic really differs in my mind. I just think there's too great a contrast between music and stretching programs to use the same logic, because music can be created to be worshipful, so it's not really ditching the demonic part, IMO, because I don't think the sounds made by rock instruments are demonic in and of themselves just because there are some demonic bands (i.e. Major chords are happy sounding, but does that mean I'm demon possessed if I strike a minor chord? Some of the most beautiful hymns have some minor chords). I probably muddied the waters a bit, but I'm saying I don't totally disagree with your logic, just that they're different cans of worms, so to speak.

    Getting off topic here with the music entering the discussion, so I'm going to leave it at this. Thought-provoking, though.

  5. #25
    Br Philip Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cryo View Post
    I don't really know if that's a clearcut analogy, even though it's a fair question, reason being, yoga, "absent" of the eastern philosophy is not merely stretching, as the poses of yoga are of gods, etc. from that philosophy, not just, say, doing toe touches. The name yoga is incompatible with Christianity. With music, if the lyrics are Christian, you are saying the music itself, absent the lyrics, is demonic, which some people would argue with. Yes, there are some Christians who believe there's no place for Christian rock, etc. because of your claim, so you're not necessarily wrong. But some may ask, was all rock truly demonically influenced if it wasn't written by Christians? Some early rock was pretty innocent, lyrically. Were the Beatles influenced by a demon to pen "I Want to Hold Your Hand"? Maybe some of their later stuff, but I don't agree all rock is intended to be demonic or that it all originated that way.

    I just think the logic is different because yoga hasn't changed since it originated; it has always been tied to eastern philosophy, thus there really is no way to make it Christian, and there is other stretching not tied to religion. That's different from saying rock originated as devil music, because I'm not claiming Yoga just originated that way, but that it's always tied to that philosophy, while music written by a Christian, even if it's rock, isn't demonically influenced IMO. Yoga, on the other hand, practiced by a Christian still very much is demonically influenced IMO. How can Yoga be made to worship Christ? I don't think it can be. Music can be, IMO. Can music be harmful to Christians? Sure, it can be. If rock music is putting you in a bad mood or inspiring impure thoughts, that's not a good thing.

    If you are saying there is other music that is out there besides rock/rap/metal as an analogy to there being other stretching that's innocent, you're saying Christians can only morally listen to hymns--no rock--even if that rock is worshipful in some way, but if the lyrics are worshipful and Christian, how is that music demonically influenced if it puts me in a good mood rather than a bad one? I think there is definitely a Christian rock market that is not demonically influenced, but there's no form of yoga that isn't demonically influenced, and that's where the logic really differs in my mind. I just think there's too great a contrast between music and stretching programs to use the same logic, because music can be created to be worshipful, so it's not really ditching the demonic part, IMO, because I don't think the sounds made by rock instruments are demonic in and of themselves just because there are some demonic bands (i.e. Major chords are happy sounding, but does that mean I'm demon possessed if I strike a minor chord? Some of the most beautiful hymns have some minor chords). I probably muddied the waters a bit, but I'm saying I don't totally disagree with your logic, just that they're different cans of worms, so to speak.

    Getting off topic here with the music entering the discussion, so I'm going to leave it at this. Thought-provoking, though.
    i will PM

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Br Philip View Post
    i will PM
    No problem. I sent a reply. And please don't take my last sentences as a criticism of your bringing up the music in this thread--I love talking music, and I didn't intend it the way you probably took it. I wanted to make that point public. I just didn't want my post, since it was so long, to cause the thread to be locked for straying from the main topic. The issue of picking and choosing our Christianity is one we all are probably guilty of in some fashion, since we are all sinners in a fallen world, but it is something we need to be very discerning about. You and I definitely agree on that.

  7. #27
    In His Glory Guest

    Default

    Thanks for bringing this topic up-it definitely needs to be addressed in the Body of Christ.

    As Christians we really need to think about using discernment before we join in with any of
    the world's ways. More so now than ever.

    In my former backslidden state I had tried out a Yoga class a few times. A neighbor was an instructor
    so many of the ladies from our neighborhood would go. On one hand I thought- OK, I would like to stretch & become stronger & more flexible but on the other hand- Yoga? Is that really something a Christian would do? Isn't it from Hindu roots?

    So I preceded w/caution. Well after a few classes the instructor really began to get into the breathing aspect of it & what she was describing was definitely spiritual mumbo jumbo. The sound of her inhaling & exhaling basically started to freak me out & I was sensing this was not good (I was certainly not going to copy her) & that was the end of yoga class for me. I ended up thinking more about God & what in the world I was getting myself into- than the class.

    Not long after that experience I came back to the Lord & began to study quite a bit up on issues of spiritual discernment & what I found out about Yoga is exactly as you say. The research info is out there so I guess it's just a matter of someone wanting to find the truth about these things or not.

    Christians are a bullís eye target for Satan & Yoga is just one of the many ways we can inadvertently invite him in to wreck havoc. I never tried Spinning & hadn't thought about that also being spiritually contaminated but I guess the fact that these health/mind/body fads are interwoven- this shouldn't be surprising.

    But- since some Christians believe they're impervious to deception & can't be picked off they just don't appear to be overly concerned about such things.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,411

    Default

    Cryo, I could not have explained that thought process any better if I had tried.

    On teaching breathing in exericise and mind/body in a God-honoring way:

    Breathing in exercise is about a couple of things:

    First, oxygenating the muscle tissue for work.

    Second, when we are doing aerobic/continuous work, it's a good measure of how hard we are working and a great tool to keep things targeted and controlled---if you can still breath in through your nose you are still working under your aerobic threshold, if you are beginning to exhale through your mouth you are approaching your aerobic threshold, where you may not want to work, and if you are struggling to breath and it's all out of your mouth, you won't be there long unless you are really well trained and are well above your anaerobic threshold with a very high heartrate and probably feeling some pain (think Lance Armstrong, and even he is only human and has to go back to conserve at some point). You can purse your lips and exhale with force to lower your heartrate. This is a technique used for interval training to recover.

    Third, for weight training, we inhale as we contract and go through the hardest part of a movement, exhale when we extend and relax/release a movement. Diagphramatic breathing is done through the nose and is far more efficient than through the mouth. It's also important in stabilizing our core muscles while we move and while we breath and move, we should be aware that we are breathing correctly through execution of movement for safety and performance. Think about the difference between a well-trained pitcher for the Astros (I am in Houston, so let's use them for proximity sake) and my 4 year old daugter throwing a baseball. The pitcher will inhale as he winds up, may either exhale or hold his breath while he pitches it---arms and legs working in perfect execution, the central part of his body perfectly stabilized so that he can do this. My daughter will not be able to get it but 5 feet and may fall into a silly heap--nothing is good about her execution.

    That's it. Mind/body as it should be and how breathing should be taught in any discipline, including Pilates though I can think of two exercises where breathing is changed because of what you are doing (one specifically on the Reformer, the other can be done on the floor or the Reformer), but it is changed because of movement and stabilization only. Simply, physiologically, kinestitically, without funny business. You can see some of this by use of a heart rate monitor.

    If you are getting something similar in your training, that is nuts and bolts and all that is necessary, and you are blessed. If you are not sure, pray and ask the Lord to lead you.

    Terry or Todd in yesterday's Nearing Midnight commentary talked about the death of Christian Apologetics, which he defined as the Church's way of policing itself. My understanding up to that point was that Christian Apologetics was defending our faith and being ready to give an explanation of what we believe to non-Christians onlh. Wow--what a very different perspective that I had never heard. He also made the point that God has judgement of the unbelieving under His control and that we are not to worry about it---we share the Gospel, we are good to our neigbors, we do the work for Him that He calls us to do. We are to judge and question and check fruit within the Church body and question, inform when something is askew, etc. This entire board is for the sole purpose of that and pointing out when we are falling away from the faith.

    BTW, I have to question "Screamo" being demonic. It sounds like it's straight from the pit of hell and you usually cannot understand what is being screamed---our praises and the Lord's Word is always clear in scripture. Heaven will not sound like that. It reminds me of what I think knashing of teeth would sound like.

    I also came across this article by Bob DeWaay that I thought tied into this. The article in itself was very good for flase teaching, but at the end, he did a very thorough study of Greek words for "do" and "do not" judge with the scriptures that helps here about judging something like what we are talking about also.

    http://cicministry.org/commentary/issue94.htm

    This is from Wikipedia on where Pilates came from and some basics:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates
    Last edited by SaintTexas; July 20th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintTexas View Post
    Cryo, I could not have explained that thought process any better if I had tried.

    BTW, I have to question "Screamo" being demonic. It sounds like it's straight from the pit of hell and you usually cannot understand what is being screamed---our praises and the Lord's Word is always clear in scripture. Heaven will not sound like that. It reminds me of what I think knashing of teeth would sound like.


    http://cicministry.org/commentary/issue94.htm

    This is from Wikipedia on where Pilates came from and some basics:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates
    Yeah, screamo is definitely coming from somewhere dark (I don't listen to it, though I do listen to some heavier stuff). I definitely think some music is demonic; I just don't think that all rock music is. There are avowed satan worshippers in music (Glenn Danzig, Marilyn Manson, etc.), but then you've got someone like Alice Cooper, who claims to be a Christian (and he does talk the talk, so I want to believe he is), but was in a dark music genre for decades. He was raised as a Christian. Is that wrong of him?

    Any yoga class is going to increasingly get into the spiritual realm, which is why I think Christians should just stay away. Some people say it's crazy to think breathing can be anti-Christian, but you explain it perfectly.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,411

    Default

    Pilates is mind/body also, but has totally different roots (not from yoga at all) and the focus for mind/body there is totally different as far as their use of breathing---to brace the core muscles, proper use of the diagphragm, ability to move arms and legs correctly through an exercise, to stabilize the spine, etc. for the purpose of paying attention to proper movement. That is mind/body in Pilates. Unless they purposely integrate meditation or yoga into it, it will be a 100% focus on correct movement and using the Pilates breathing to achieve that.

    I went through floor Pilates certification but for the life of me can barely remember it because I didn't like it and decided to focus only on the Reformer, and other than a pseudo-simulation (kind of) of down dog, but you are in motion and you go out into a full plank (like you are going to do a full body push up and then back and you are moving upper body separate from lower body, one after the other, and you can change up the order) working against the springs and your body weight, I cannot think of an exercise that mimics anything in yoga that I ever taught. And you cannot focus on anything but the movement and using the breathing because you do not hold anything, you repeat, and you will not be able to do the exercise if you are not thinking about what you are doing. Some of them, you could actually get injured if you are not paying attention to what you are doing or have your focus on something other than that. I would say that is no different that lifting weights. That was how I taught it and how it translated for me personally (with a Reformer you are working with resistance like a cable machine, sort of).

    BUT, big but here, it is not uncommon for someone who teaches yoga to also have gone into Pilates also (same with Spinning). Lots of reasons for tha from personal interest to being able to make a living or both. And you can end up with a yoga cool down on a mat, etc. to purposely integrate this into the training. You need to evaluate your instructors and be able to discern what they are presenting to you--they are in control of the class/DVD/video/your person and have your attention.

    My friend who has cancer and I spoke this morning and she could not stop laughing as she was reading me an email invite to a full moon yoga session at someone's house coming up and all the power that can be harnessed fform the full moon.........I had The Wharton Stretch Book sent to her from www.half.com this morning and will go see her, bring her a soft rope so that she can do it on her own when she gets the book, and take her through stretches. I told her that if the moon had any intension of curing her cancer, it might want to hurry it up a bit. It's been more than 8 years now.

    Praise the Lord that He made our flesh as He did. It should make us aware of the Truth in the Gospel and it should make us long to be with the Lord. When we have to walk through difficult challenges, especially with our health, I cannot think of a better promise than being with the Lord forever. I am so sick of my flesh.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    913

    Question Yoga & Zumba

    Question?

    My church is hosting this Zumba fitness thing for the woman's ministry. Now I understand that fitness is important to ones health. But my question is this. What does this have to do with God and reaching the lost? How is listening to secular music whither it be Latin or any other benefiting one's soul?
    See you on the Battlefield,


  12. #32
    Amber Lynne Guest

    Default

    It isn't Godly,or UNGodly, per se...but it is not unlike any other excersize class in a church...EXCEPT for Yoga that no Christian has any buisness fooling with. Just trying to provied a safe place for people to excersize. I have no problem with it.

    The commercials on TV show the extra skinny and already toned people doing all kind of gyrations, but you don't have to do it like that. Also, if I am remembering correctly, you don't have to use music with words because it has a teacher. You can use instrimental music as well.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    I actually like when churches do things like this, because it gives people a Godly environment to do these things instead of having to go somewhere else that isn't Godly. It's a good chance for extra fellowship time with other Christians. As long as they aren't playing bad music.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    2,953

    Default Preacher Calling for Christians to Avoid Yoga!

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/..._baptists_yoga

    LOUISVILLE, Ky. – A Southern Baptist leader who is calling for Christians to avoid yoga and its spiritual attachments is getting plenty of pushback from enthusiasts who defend the ancient practice.
    Southern Baptist Seminary President Albert Mohler says the stretching and meditative discipline derived from Eastern religions is not a Christian pathway to God.
    Mohler said he objects to "the idea that the body is a vehicle for reaching consciousness with the divine."
    "That's just not Christianity," Mohler told The Associated Press.
    Mohler said feedback has come through e-mail and comments on blogs and other websites since he wrote an essay to address questions about yoga he has heard for years.
    "I'm really surprised by the depth of the commitment to yoga found on the part of many who identify as Christians," Mohler said.
    Yoga fans say their numbers have been growing in the U.S. A 2008 study by the Yoga Journal put the number at 15.8 million, or nearly 7 percent of adults. About 6.7 percent of American adults are Southern Baptists, according to a 2007 survey by the Pew Research Center Forum on Religion & Public Life.
    Mohler argued in his online essay last month that Christians who practice yoga "must either deny the reality of what yoga represents or fail to see the contradictions between their Christian commitments and their embrace of yoga."
    He said his view is "not an eccentric Christian position."
    Other Christian leaders have said practicing yoga is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. Pat Robertson has called the chanting and other spiritual components that go along with yoga "really spooky." California megachurch pastor John MacArthur called yoga a "false religion." Muslim clerics have banned Muslims from practicing yoga in Egypt, Malaysia and Indonesia, citing similar concerns.
    Yoga proponents say the wide-ranging discipline, which originated in India, offers physical and mental healing through stretching poses and concentration.
    "Lots of people come to yoga because they are often in chronic pain. Others come because they think it's a nice workout," said Allison Terracio, who runs the Infinite Bliss studio in Louisville.
    And some yoga studios have made the techniques more palatable for Christians by removing the chanting and associations to eastern religions, namely Hinduism and its multiple deities.
    Stephanie Dillon, who has injected Christian themes into her studio in Louisville, said yoga brought her closer to her Christian faith, which had faded after college and service in the Army.
    "What I found is that it opened my spirit, it renewed my spirituality," Dillon said. "That happened first and then I went back to church." Dillon attends Southeast Christian Church in Louisville and says many evangelical Christians from the church attend her yoga classes.
    She said she prayed on the question of whether to mix yoga and Christianity before opening her studio, PM Yoga, where she discusses her relationship with Jesus during classes.
    "My objection (to Mohler's view) personally is that I feel that yoga enhances a person's spirituality," Dillon said. "I don't like to look at religion from a law standpoint but a relationship standpoint, a relationship with Jesus Christ specifically."
    Mohler wrote the essay after reading "The Subtle Body," where author Stefanie Syman traces the history of yoga in America. Syman noted the growing popularity of yoga in the U.S. by pointing out that first lady Michelle Obama has added it to the festivities at the annual White House Easter Egg Roll on the front lawn.
    Mohler said many people have written him to say they're simply doing exercises and forgoing yoga's eastern mysticism and meditation.
    "My response to that would be simple and straightforward: You're just not doing yoga," Mohler said.
    ___
    Online:
    Albert Mohler's website: http://www.albertmohler.com/

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Omaha Nebraska and Dreamland when I am sleeping
    Posts
    16,625

    Default

    to Mohler for putting the warning out


    too bad many SBC pastors wont listen to Mohler


    many would rather listen to Ed Young Jr. and Rick Warren and Perry Noble and Ed Stetzer and others who have hijakced the once conservative SBC denom.
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    33,869

    Default

    i am also of the opinion that yoga is not just innocent stretching. and if a christian thinks they are doing it to enhance their spirituality, they are walking a dangerous path.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    2,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
    to Mohler for putting the warning out


    too bad many SBC pastors wont listen to Mohler


    many would rather listen to Ed Young Jr. and Rick Warren and Perry Noble and Ed Stetzer and others who have hijakced the once conservative SBC denom.
    I weep for the SBC - I never thought I'd see this day - but I reckon the apostasy is nigh.




    Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    i am also of the opinion that yoga is not just innocent stretching. and if a christian thinks they are doing it to enhance their spirituality, they are walking a dangerous path.
    Yep, that my belief too! Perhaps they don't realize those movements are in reverance to Hindu 'gods'/demons of Christianity. This deception pains me.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Mohler said many people have written him to say they're simply doing exercises and forgoing yoga's eastern mysticism and meditation.
    "My response to that would be simple and straightforward: You're just not doing yoga," Mohler said.
    I put his article on my facebook page and had 3 friends unable to see any spiritual connection with yoga--all 3 would call themselves Christians. My Catholic friend said she had read some of the concerns, but never noticed anything in her DVD that was objectionable spiritually. A fourth friend said this is one of her pet issues that she teaches to College students (the spiritual dangers of yoga).

    I found a woman who stopped being a Yoga teacher and now has DVDs which teach stretches that are not related to the spiritual poses found in Yoga.

    So....Have my yoga practicing friends been deadened to the spiritual effects of practicing yoga, or are they simply stretching and avoiding uncoiling the serpent power at the base of their spine?

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    2,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booklover View Post
    I put his article on my facebook page and had 3 friends unable to see any spiritual connection with yoga--all 3 would call themselves Christians. My Catholic friend said she had read some of the concerns, but never noticed anything in her DVD that was objectionable spiritually. A fourth friend said this is one of her pet issues that she teaches to College students (the spiritual dangers of yoga).

    I found a woman who stopped being a Yoga teacher and now has DVDs which teach stretches that are not related to the spiritual poses found in Yoga.

    So....Have my yoga practicing friends been deadened to the spiritual effects of practicing yoga, or are they simply stretching and avoiding uncoiling the serpent power at the base of their spine?
    Have them look up Caryl Matrisciana - she'll tell them all about the demonic roots of yoga! I had to find it out firsthand. She's on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87XRZBeuVzM Here's her website store: http://www.carylmatrisciana.com/shop...t-p-16188.html

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The P.R.K.
    Posts
    527

    Default

    I have a lot of respect for Albert Mohler. He had a radio show that was available via podcasts.
    "But I say unto you, that one greater than the temple is here".
    Matthew 12:6 (ASV)

    "...and behold, a greater than Jonah is here."
    Luke 11:32 (ASV)

    "...and behold, a greater than Solomon is here."
    Luke 11:31 (ASV)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •