Thread: Communion - Leavened Bread?

Default Communion - Leavened Bread?

I attend a small church. My Mom was asked to prepare some bread for the Christmas Eve communion. After talking to her I realized this would not be unleavened bread. I told her that the Last Supper was a passover feast in which the bread would have been unleavened - with no yeast. I also understood that this was symbolic of Jesus, the Passover Lamb - without sin.

From this conversation, she spoke to the pastor. He didn't alter the arrangements. I find this very strange and offensive. I plan to take crackers to use instead of the bread for this service.

This just seems so wrong to me. Am I being too particular?
    John 14:6
    Jesus answered, "I am the WAY and the TRUTH and the LIFE, no one comes to the Father except through Me."

Amber Lynne Guest

I think as long as it is blessed, it should be fine. At times we use loaves of bread, other times we use cut up tortilia.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

We use matzos, homemade unleavened bread or unleavened pita.
    It just seems a better fit for the occasion, but any bread will do. We worship in Spirit.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Quote Originally Posted by Trust&Obey View Post
    At the very least, it shows ignorance and/or disregard for the Passover symbolism behind the Rememberance.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Quote Originally Posted by Trust&Obey View Post
    I attend a small church. My Mom was asked to prepare some bread for the Christmas Eve communion. After talking to her I realized this would not be unleavened bread. I told her that the Last Supper was a passover feast in which the bread would have been unleavened - with no yeast. I also understood that this was symbolic of Jesus, the Passover Lamb - without sin.

From this conversation, she spoke to the pastor. He didn't alter the arrangements. I find this very strange and offensive. I plan to take crackers to use instead of the bread for this service.

What does the church usually use for communion? Is this a departure from their usual bread?

For me, I like unleavened bread (I use Matzos) because of the symbolism. We shouldn't be legalistic about it, but if you feel convicted about it, it won't be easy for you to concentrate on Christ if you are stressed over the yeast in the bread, so I'd say do what you feel lead to do, perhaps taking your own, or seeing if the Pastor would include some unleavened too?

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lynne View Post
    I think as long as it is blessed, it should be fine.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Our church usually uses an unleavened bread - usually crackers or purchased unleavened bread. So, this is a bit of a departure. I think the pastor is trying to make the communion service to feel more "homey" or organic. I think his heart is in the right place.

I just believe the symbolism in the communion, which I find beautiful, to be off the mark if leavened bread is used. I do not want to be legalistic, yet at the same time, because it is meaningful to me and because I do understand the symbolism, it seems more appropriate to use unleavened bread. Yeast, in my mind, is often symbolic of sin. Since the bread represents Christ's body, it should be a symbol that means sinless (or unleavened).

Your comments have helped to put this in perspective. I've decided to take my own bread to this service. I'm thankful that I know ahead of time. I also know that it is the remembrance that is important, but prefer also to remember with the same symbols as used in the passover. Thanks for the comments.
    John 14:6
    Jesus answered, "I am the WAY and the TRUTH and the LIFE, no one comes to the Father except through Me."

I can only do the wine when I take communion now.

I have a severe wheat allergy. I am sure He does not want me all hivey for weeks.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    I can only do the wine when I take communion now.

I have a severe wheat allergy. I am sure He does not want me all hivey for weeks.
    Heather, a friend of mine is wheat-intolerant too. She brings a rice cracker for communion, and has it when everyone else has the bread.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

As long as we understand communion is a memorial celebration and not a religious ritual, one youth group used hot dog buns and koolaid one time since someone ate all the bread and drank all the grape juice.

There are different ways to celebrate what Jesus did for us, some share the bread, any kind, have a meal, and then share the juice in honor of Jesus' sacrifice for us, communion can be reverent and celebratory at the same time. It can be a somber funeral type situation or and Easter resurrection morning feast.

The message to the audience is just as important as the items served.
    There is no special salvation points earned, just a way of remembrance and thankfulness - sort of like Thanksgiving but combined with gratefulness for Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection.

It should only be shared with those who had their personal salvation born again transformation. Those who are saved and know it and have been baptized, after their salvation, into the body of Christ.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

This thread has caused me to further research this topic and it's importance.

I'm reminded of what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 11:27-29. I have never thought about what role baptism played in partaking of The Lords Supper and if it would be considered an unworthy act if one was not baptised.

I did find this at gotquestions.org

Is baptism required before a person can receive communion?

Question: "Is baptism required before a person can receive communion?"

Answer: It is not stated in Scripture that a person must be baptized before being able to receive the Lord's Supper. However, the same requirement for both baptism and partaking of the Lord's Supper is salvation through faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The Lord's Supper was instituted by Jesus with His disciples the evening before His crucifixion (Matthew 26:20-28). In Matthew 28:19, after our Lord's death and resurrection, He gave the Great Commission to His disciples to go into all the world and teach His Gospel, followed with the command to also baptize the new believers. Baptism by water in the name of the Trinity has been practiced by the church from its beginning. The only requirement, as stated above, is that the person has trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior. In doing so, the person understands that this a picture of the salvation experience and is a requirement of obedience to our Lord. It is considered by many Bible scholars to be the first step of Christian discipleship.

Perhaps this is the reason some churches require baptism before partaking of the Lord's Supper. The Lord's Supper is to be partaken of only by believers in Jesus Christ. Baptism is intended to be an identifying mark of believers in Christ. Therefore, some churches require water baptism before a person can partake of the Lord's Supper. However, again, Scripture nowhere gives us this instruction.

In many churches, it isn't baptism that is required, but oftentimes a profession of faith is. Some churches with open communion simply instruct people before they partake to make sure they remember Christ in the communion and have put their faith in Him. I've been to certain Christian churches (the denomination, not in general) that require you to be baptized in their church in order to partake...many denoms are different in what is required.

The scriptural idea is that you need to remember Christ in the communion and that you have believed in Him and put your faith on Him prior to partaking.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Amber Lynne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    meaning, use whatever kind of bread/wine you wish and use the scriputres to bless the communion.

His Bride Guest

As long as we understand communion is a memorial celebration and not a religious ritual, one youth group used hot dog buns and koolaid one time since someone ate all the bread and drank all the grape juice.

There are different ways to celebrate what Jesus did for us, some share the bread, any kind, have a meal, and then share the juice in honor of Jesus' sacrifice for us, communion can be reverent and celebratory at the same time. It can be a somber funeral type situation or and Easter resurrection morning feast.

The message to the audience is just as important as the items served.
    There is no special salvation points earned, just a way of remembrance and thankfulness - sort of like Thanksgiving but combined with gratefulness for Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection.

It should only be shared with those who had their personal salvation born again transformation. Those who are saved and know it and have been baptized, after their salvation, into the body of Christ.
    Thank you Buzz!!!!

When we attend a church service, we have the choice to participate, or not. If we are not comfortable then I see no reason to join the Lord's table. But I would not bring attention to myself.

We are celebrating our Lord and I doubt that it matters much to Him. After all, He knows our hearts!

JustGrateful Guest

On a more serious note....I've participated in communion services where we used an actual loaf of bread...we just tore off a piece and passed it on.

I really don't think it matters what kind of bread is used. To me, Jesus is actually telling us that, every time we break bread with brothers and sisters in Christ, we are to be mindful of His sacrifice. That pretty much means we need to be considering what He did for us much more often than when we have a communion service in church....it should be in the forefront of our minds all the time.

That's my opinion, of course.

A side note....I can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't think we "get" what He's telling us there...I don't think the way we "do" communion in church is what He was talking about. Just like I think the Baptist church gets the "office" of deacon wrong, I think we may have missed this point, too. Again, simply my opinion....and I don't have any answers.

Quote Originally Posted by JustGrateful View Post

On a more serious note....I've participated in communion services where we used an actual loaf of bread...we just tore off a piece and passed it on.

I really don't think it matters what kind of bread is used. To me, Jesus is actually telling us that, every time we break bread with brothers and sisters in Christ, we are to be mindful of His sacrifice. That pretty much means we need to be considering what He did for us much more often than when we have a communion service in church....it should be in the forefront of our minds all the time.
    correct, the broken bread represents Christ's body broken on the cross and the wine represents His blood spilled for our sins, bread and wine (or grape juice) are symbolic representations, not an actual ritual or part of our salvation process, our salvation must already be sealed before we partake in this ordinance or we bring judgment upon ourselves.

Thanks for the tip, Nightelf!

I have a nasty patch on my arm right now.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Doh! this has bothered me for years.....but

....my dear departed Christian mil, who passed away at 86...had THE most Christian passing that I have ever witnessed...

She also was the biggest ...prankster in the world...Funny, funny lady..
    as she was dying...she asked for each of her children...in-laws...grand-children by name...and gave them words of wisdom...and advice...as well as the message of salvation...to those she knew needed most to hear it..

She would close her eyes...and for all the world...we though she was gone...
    then she'd open them...just a crack...and say.."well...I 'm not in Heaven yet..cause I know some of you aren't going to be there if you don't change your ways..

She was a "deaconess"....and usually prepared the communion table the morning of Communion service..

Often homemade bread....and grape juice...
    now this is the part that I am uneasy about..

one morning as we ate the "bread"...and drank the "juice'
    everyone about choked..and had the same shocked expression on their faces....

She had cut up tiny little squares of......angel-food cake
    and the "juice"...was Grape Nehi...soda...

I know SHE LOVED THE LORD.....and she wasn't the least bothered about the surprising ..."host"....
    But to be honest???....I was

In His Glory Guest

I had found out about the unleavened bread symbolism some time ago and
    was also bothered by the puffy oyster crackers used in communion. I don't
    recall if I sent in a suggestion but I did pray about it & endured the leavened
    bread . But- one day this summer I looked down @ the communion plate & there
    was Matzo! My prayer was answered & I've been a happy camper ever since.