Thread: Question: The Season

Default Question: The Season

Is there a passage of scripture anywhere in OT or NT
    where it specifically (or Jesus said) states "You will know the season"?

I'm aware of many of the similar passages and have searched
    unsuccessfully to find where it is actually transcribed as such.
    Some of these Bible search tools (Gateway etc.) bring up so much stuff if you don't
    have the exact wording or know the Book and Verse

You hear people and teachers say this, but it appears to me to be
    broad context related to similar passages?

Smile seasons

I think the passage you may be looking for is I Thess. 5: 1-8. My version* says in verse one "Concerning the times and seasons, brothers, you need no writing from me, for you are yourselves aware that the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night..." Other verses that actually refer to a specific season would be Matt. 24:32 "Learn a lesson from the fig tree. As soon as her branch puts out leaves, you know that summer is near." Also Mark 13:28, Luke 21:29-30. Hope this helps.
    *The Modern Language Bible - The New Berkeley Version in Modern English

YES, Thank You

I guess I was wondering if it actually say's that
    in any context, or part of phrasing anywhere in the canonical Bible.

Now I would say that it definitely does not.

UNLESS, it's in some obscure translation?

Quote Originally Posted by logosone View Post
    I guess I was wondering if it actually say's that
    in any context, or part of phrasing anywhere in the canonical Bible.
    Two things to help clear up the question; 1) what specific word or phrase are you looking for (I know you mentioned it above, just maybe clarify a bit) and 2) what are you labeling "the canonical Bible?"

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Kliska View Post
    Two things to help clear up the question; 1) what specific word or phrase are you looking for (I know you mentioned it above, just maybe clarify a bit) and 2) what are you labeling "the canonical Bible?"
    I just wondered if it actually say's "you will know the season" anywhere in the Bible.

pavelsmith Guest

I just wondered if it actually say's "you will know the season" anywhere in the Bible.
    1 Thessalonians 5:1 ESV - Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you.

Matthew 24:32 ESV - “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near.

Acts 1:7 ESV - He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.

Matthew 21:41 ESV - They said to him, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons.”

Mark 12:2 ESV - When the season came, he sent a servant to the tenants to get from them some of the fruit of the vineyard.

1 Thess 5-4 But you aren't in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters,and you won't be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief.

Looks to me like we should recognize the season...

In answer to the OP- no there is no where in scripture that says we will know the season. What we are to do is watch and be alert and ready- doing the will of God.

Matthew 24:43-44
    43 “But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into.
    44 “For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.
    If we are alert and ready our house will not be broken into as by a thief, Jesus comes as a thief to those who are not ready, who do not expect Him to return. The point is that He will come when we do not expect Him, and therefore we must be on alert at all times in every season, be prepared to open the door to Him.

Luke 12:35-40
    35 “Be dressed in readiness, and keep your lamps lit.
    36 “Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks.
    37 “Blessed are those slaves whom the master will find on the alert when he comes; truly I say to you, that he will gird himself to serve, and have them recline at the table, and will come up and wait on them.

38 “Whether he comes in the second watch, or even in the third, and finds them so, blessed are those slaves.
    39 “But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have allowed his house to be broken into.
    40 “You too, be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour that you do not expect.”
    Jesus breaks into the home of the one not looking for His return, but to the faithful slave who is watching for Him He doesn't break in, rather He knocks on the door, those who are ready are standing by the door in readiness listening for His knock, so they can immediately receive Him. Interesting isn't it, that though He is the master and the slaves are those who wait in readiness, that He is the one that will serve them at the table?

RT

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    1 Thess 5-4 But you aren't in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters,and you won't be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief.

Looks to me like we should recognize the season...
    Yes we should, and most of us hope that the Lord is at the door. Praying to be with him soon.
    The world is growing darker by the day.
    Welcome to Rapture Ready Craig!

Yep. In Matthew 16:2-3, "He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, [It will be] fair weather: for the sky is red. And in the morning, [It will be] foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O [ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not [discern] the signs of the times?"

Here it seems to me that Jesus is upset with those who cannot tell what 'season' we are in. It seems to me that He commands us to know what 'time it is'. He commands us to know the 'signs of the times". Although it doesn't state the word 'season' directly, signs and season can be tied together using the following verse in my opinion, Genesis 1:14, "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:".

I think what most people mean is that we ought to be aware, based on what the Bible tells us.

It is my understanding that the "no man knows the day nor the hour" type verses are specifically referring to His Second Coming (not our rapture), but they (who will be in the trib) are still exhorted to "watch and be ready" and are given signs, and even should (at that time) understand the general time frame given in scripture (for the duration of the trib, its beginning point, etc). Some will, but others will not (Matthew 24:37-44, 45-51; Luke 12:35-40, 41-48 - notice the time frame listed there: "... like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding..." These [very similar] passages are about His Second Coming, not our rapture).

We, the Church, are told (via Paul, in 1 Thessalonians 5:4, 6), "But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day [the "Day of the Lord", the trib] should overtake you as a thief... [why? because we are not going to have any part in it]... but let us watch and be sober." But WE ARE READY (if we've trusted in Christ's finished work alone for salvation), because we are IN CHRIST (a position unique to believers of this Church age... and a most permanent position, at that. Not to mention the fact that He is [permanently] IN US - "... Christ IN YOU, the [sure] hope of glory." Colossians 1:26-27)

IMO, I don't think He intends for anyone to be clueless... but of course, many (both before the rapture, and those in the trib leading up to His Second Coming) will choose to be clueless, just "as in the days of Noah" ("they knew not until..." willfully... by refusing to heed His Word).

Right. We need to remember that while a certain exact phrase may not be in scripture, if the concept is taught, it is allowed to coin a phrase to express our theology on the issue. For example, the word "Trinity" and "Triune" are not in the Bible, yet it is fully biblical to talk of God as being Father, Son and Holy Spirit; that God is Triune.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Peace777 View Post
    Yep. In Matthew 16:2-3, "He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, [It will be] fair weather: for the sky is red. And in the morning, [It will be] foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O [ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not [discern] the signs of the times?"

Here it seems to me that Jesus is upset with those who cannot tell what 'season' we are in. It seems to me that He commands us to know what 'time it is'. He commands us to know the 'signs of the times". Although it doesn't state the word 'season' directly, signs and season can be tied together using the following verse in my opinion, Genesis 1:14, "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:".

This is exactly what I was going to post. The Lord Jesus was quite upset with Israel (in particular the Pharisees) for not being able to discern the "season" that they were in (His first coming).

I cant name the exact place but I am sure that the bible says "No man knows the day nor hour, but we will know when its near, or even at the doors?? something along those lines.. Mods help me out with the reference if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed91 View Post
    I cant name the exact place but I am sure that the bible says "No man knows the day nor hour, but we will know when its near, or even at the doors?? something along those lines.. Mods help me out with the reference if possible
    Matthew 24:32-36

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only.

As I understand it, this passage is in the context of His Second Coming (to the earth)... all of the "ye's" and "you's" (consistently throughout the passage) are referring to Israel (to be watching and ready for His Second Coming).

See verses: Matthew 24:15, 20; Matthew 23:37-39

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: )
    20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
    Matthew 23:37-39

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the Name of the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kliska View Post
    Right. We need to remember that while a certain exact phrase may not be in scripture, if the concept is taught, it is allowed to coin a phrase to express our theology on the issue. For example, the word "Trinity" and "Triune" are not in the Bible, yet it is fully biblical to talk of God as being Father, Son and Holy Spirit; that God is Triune.
    Good point. I have also heard that the word 'grandfather' is not in the Bible directly, but the geneologies (sp?... I still don't know how to work the spell checker...I'm a little technically challenged...and lazy cause I don't want to look the word up in the dictionary) clearly show us that there are grandfathers in the Bible.

Question logosone may I make a recommendation?

Is there a passage of scripture anywhere in OT or NT
    where it specifically (or Jesus said) states "You will know the season"?

I'm aware of many of the similar passages and have searched
    unsuccessfully to find where it is actually transcribed as such.
    Some of these Bible search tools (Gateway etc.) bring up so much stuff if you don't
    have the exact wording or know the Book and Verse

You hear people and teachers say this, but it appears to me to be
    broad context related to similar passages?
    If you don't own a Concordance I recommend a

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance which gives both the Greek and Hebrew meanings for words and can help you find what you are looking for by just knowing one word most times. IMHO
    John 13:34-35 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Quote Originally Posted by pavelsmith View Post
    1 Thessalonians 5:1 ESV - Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you.

Matthew 24:32 ESV - “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near.

Acts 1:7 ESV - He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.

Matthew 21:41 ESV - They said to him, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons.”

Mark 12:2 ESV - When the season came, he sent a servant to the tenants to get from them some of the fruit of the vineyard.
    correct
    seasons, as in the time of bearing fruit

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim