February 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Oven Cooked Steak Marinade (and instructions)
I never really thought I liked steak. To find out my dad just tosses meat on the grill and cooks them to the point they are like rubber.
I just tried this Oven version today. I don't claim to making his recipe up, but the marinade I made was different, so I'll note that.
1. Thick steaks approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick that weigh between 12 and 16 ounces work best.
2. Marinate Steaks to Cook in The Oven: To cook steak in the oven that has great flavor and is tender it is best to marinate them. This is another timing thing for me but it works.
I always take my steaks out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before I have to cook them and allow them to marinate in a half cup olive oil, 4 tablespoons soy sauce and 4 teaspoons Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning. That marinade recipe is for two good sized steaks but you can easily double it if needed.
* here is where I deviated from the recipe since I didn't have soy or Montreal Steak Seasoning, I had 4 small steaks. I used 1/4 cup blend of olive and vegetable oil, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, salt, garlic, black pepper, dash of cayenne and hot sauce, paprika, 2 bayleaves, and one squeezed lemon. *
This gives me time to get my cast ironed skillet and oven heated up and gives the steak time to come to room temperature.
3. Sear the Steaks before you Cook Them in The Oven: To cook a steak in the oven that appears to have been cooked on the grill you need to sear it. I prefer to sear mine on the burner by heating the pan over medium high heat and then adding the steaks and turning them after about 4-5 minutes and then searing the other side for an equal amount of time but you could choose to sear them under the broiler. Some people prefer the broiler method because they do not have to turn them. They will sear on both sides because the heat from the broiler and the heat from the pan works together to sear both sides. Either way you are well on your way to cooking a great steak in the oven.
4. Cook Steak in The Oven: To cook steak in the oven you have two choices.
You can cook them quickly at 450 degrees or you can cook a steak in the oven at 325 degrees. Either way works great. I think timing is everything when it comes to cooking.
If I'm just frying potatoes to go with them I set the oven at 450 degrees and they are cooked to a perfect medium in 10 to 12 minutes.
But if I'm making baked potatoes I set the oven at 325 degrees which allows them to cook to a perfect medium in 25 to 30 minutes. You just choose which method works best for you and transfer your pan directly into the preheated oven.
* used the 350 method, and poured any excess marinade in a glass dish, I also cooked a little longer since I used glass. Turned out great!*
Tips and warnings
* Steak cooked in the oven need to reach an internal temperature of at least 140 degrees.
* When cooking steak in the oven be sure to use an oven mitt to avoid burns
* If you plan to marinate longer than 30 minutes you need to do it in the fridge and then allow the steaks to return to room temperature before cooking steak in the oven.