Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth in the Service!

Default Youth in the Service!

Question for you all.

The youth group is no longer in the churches main services on Sunday mornings except on the 3rd Sunday (our Family Service day) The rest of the time they are in the youth room eating donuts and visiting. Yes they are having what they call "Breakout" sessions where they take a topic and talk about it and how they can relate to it. But my fear is this.

If the children (Birth - 5th grade) are separated from the main services on Sunday morning and now the youth 6th -12th grade too. When do they learn to sit in "Adult Service" (for lack of a better term)? My fear is that when the youth go onto college they may not return or even learn how to sit in a reg. Sunday Service.

They do have a youth meetings on Wed. nights. Why can't they do a breakout session then?

Any thoughts on this?
    See you on the Battlefield,

I immediately go to Brother Yun's concept of "New Wineskins". I think the traditional Sunday Service is unappealing to many of today's youth. I found it intensely boring, I couldn't wait to leave the church.

My audio-processing learning disability was a factor, too. It is very difficult for me to learn from someone teaching aloud.

When I have gone to services, I have found them very dry and unsatisfying, or a showy production like Vegas (Lakewood), with no spiritual meat.

IMO, churches need to work on restructuring and reaching the younger generation. Perhaps reaching out to the unreached, and combining service/missions with on the street teaching? Taking Sunday morning as a day of service to others, having Bible Study before or afterward.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

ComeLordJesus Guest

I was shocked at what I saw the youth services do. They took over an adult service one Sunday. The 'music' was hardcore metal. The adults were . Usually everyone stands up during the songs. Just about everyone sat down and people near me complained about the service. The whole thing was ridiculous, and parents weren't happy to find out what the kids do in their service.

I left that church last year.

When I'm not listening to Jesus Metal (I am now), I'm listening to Gospel Rap.

Most Christians would rather be thrown to the lions. It just goes to show, God made us all in many different flavors.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Tangle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    When I'm not listening to Jesus Metal (I am now), I'm listening to Gospel Rap.

Our church made a conscious decision that the high school members of the congregation are part of the regular service every Sunday, except the last Sunday of the month. On the last Sunday, they hold their own service in which the students take turns teaching (with leader supervision), etc. My son (a senior) is the regular worship leader for them, but has been teaching a younger student to take his place. The music they play is pretty much the same stuff we sing in church: mix of contemporary and some hymns.

As for the middle school students, they have their own class during service, but that last Sunday of the month, they are either in main service with the adults, or they can serve in the classrooms.

We believe in training up our teenagers, not as children but as young adults. So, teens are invited into the adult choir which sings a few times a year, and teens often work with the kids in Sunday school, and they run the coffee bar.

I agree with the OP that 'breakout' sessions are best on the Wednesday night. Something else they should think about before pushing all the teens back into main service is trying to use the student service to train the students in how to act in a regular church service. A friend's church had a similar problem: teens got used to the teen pastor's preaching and style of service and therefore did NOT ease into the main service style. They've addressed this in part by having the main pastor spend more time with the teens and coming to teach them.

Oh, Tangle... so many people I meet with your attitude.

The sad thing, they will never ever even read the lyrics on my favorite songs. Which are quite devout and scripturally based.

At least you didn't tell me I can't be really saved, and I'm hell bound. I get that a lot.

For questions regarding my piety I refer you to my avatar.

I get my Bibles here

Tangle Guest

The sad thing, they will never ever even read the lyrics on my favorite songs. Which are quite devout and scripturally based.
    Well, in my opinion, if the genre was originally inspired by Satan than he still has his tendrils in the music. If you listen closely you can still hear his whispers.

My dh and I have been youth leaders for 15+ years, I think it is important that the youth be in the service and learn to actively listen, take notes, look up the verses the pastor uses, and all around be active members. We are training teens to be adults not to be big teens. We have Sunday School after our regular service and also have youth group once a week, that is the time we do our teen study and mentor the youth. As a homeschooling mom of a three teens (one who is special needs), all my kids can sit still even the one with problems, while he doesn't get all that is going on he can still sit and get a good understanding of what is going on. I think this has a lot to do with our Pastor, who is a wonderful teacher!!

Our youth group is a gem!! While the kids are not perfect (we have had a clique problem in the past) they still are a major force for God. Our group is small around 20/30 active teens, but each one invites friends. I think it is a credit to our church, and their parents. We do listen to Christian Rock on occasion but we don't play scream-o which is the new teen fad now, the youth group as a whole has had healthy debates regarding music and I think this is a wonderful thing to get them thinking.

Right now we are focusing on what the bible says about the gay and lesbian lifestyles. We have been doing case studies; each teen has to look up verses on what the bible actually says and then remove our own opinion. We have to look up how Christ would handle the situation and then how to witness to them with out making fun/hating/condoning them. The teens have really enjoyed it because this is the major issue affecting them right now.

I do have to say that our youth group may not be the norm, we have active youth leaders, who participate in the teens lives and parents who have attempted to raise godly children, and awesome leadership who tries to always do what the bible says first and not be popular. Okay after reading all this I want to give my church a big hug!!!

Tangle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CircleSlide View Post
    Right now we are focusing on what the bible says about the gay and lesbian lifestyles.
    What do you do with the gay kids in the group? In my church ours has a few and we honestly don't know whether to separate them from the others or remove them entirely. We feel that by keeping them around we're playing with fire and anybody (especially the young teens) could be tempted by the lifestyle. What's your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    What do you do with the gay kids in the group? In my church ours has a few and we honestly don't know whether to separate them from the others or remove them entirely. We feel that by keeping them around we're playing with fire and anybody (especially the young teens) could be tempted by the lifestyle. What's your solution?
    Well praise God that hasn't been an issue YET?? We are waiting for it, a gay and lesbian group just began at the high school and we are trying to help our kids to deal in a Christ like way on it not in a "westboro' way. What we would do is love and deal with it like any other sin. We have dress codes and no personal contact already in place, and we do call them out. We also do not ever let them have time with out a grown up present when they are at church or at a church function. If we see a problem with a teen we take them aside privately and get to personally know that kid and bring up what the problem is and tell them that the behavior is not allowed in our youth group.

I immediately go to Brother Yun's concept of "New Wineskins". I think the traditional Sunday Service is unappealing to many of today's youth. I found it intensely boring, I couldn't wait to leave the church.

My audio-processing learning disability was a factor, too. It is very difficult for me to learn from someone teaching aloud.

When I have gone to services, I have found them very dry and unsatisfying, or a showy production like Vegas (Lakewood), with no spiritual meat.

IMO, churches need to work on restructuring and reaching the younger generation. Perhaps reaching out to the unreached, and combining service/missions with on the street teaching? Taking Sunday morning as a day of service to others, having Bible Study before or afterward.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I tend to disagree. I do not think that churches need to "restructure" anything to reach anyone, especially not the younger generation. The emerging church has done just that, and what they have really done is restructured fundamental Gospel truth with teachings and movements and activities that tickle ears. It is a lie from the pit of Hell that we need to dress up the Gospel or teaching for youth!!!

Hebrews 4:12 and Isaiah 55:11. The world is attractive to youth, and all its trappings. It is a natural attraction, as we all have a sin nature that we are enslaved to until the Gospel is heard, received, and then frees from that sin bondage. When we try and appeal to the youth by blending in with the world, we are begging apostasy to come in. I am not saying you cannot have fun with the youth, but not the type of fun that utilizes a ton of technology, fashion, MTV, and all of the world's offerings as a platform. If anything, if those things are discussed, they need to be addressed from the standpoint of evil. Discernment is lacking, and our precious youth needs for us who are older and mature in Christ to lead by strong example.

And Christ is not exemplified with 'hang out' sessions. We need to pass on reverence for our Lord, a love of truth, a passion for purity, and a longing to please God to our children. Children need to hear the Gospel truth presented. And it should be something parents do in their own homes as well, and not rely solely on the church to teach! Our primary job as parents is to instill and train up our young ones in the ways of the Lord. We are in the world, but not of it. How confusing to preach a message of "cultural relevance" to our kids, especially the tough teens, while the Word says we are to not conform to the world but be transformed by the renewal of our minds. Romans 12:2.

I say that we cannot be too careful or cautious with the minds of our children. Satan is a lion, and he does and will single out our young ones. We need to be pure, holy, and stick to the Word to teach. Nothing else is required, especially not restructuring. I know it sounds silly, but I think of our Lord when he opened His arms to the young children, He did not have to entice them to come to Him, they were drawn to Him, no extra trappings necessary. It is a very fine line to draw, and I say that it is not a favorable line to cross. Especially when I have seen all the damage that the emergent church has done and continues to do. And they do it often with the youth programs. it infiltrates there first. Then infects the rest of the church. It is not wise nor prudent to even invite the possibility.

Cherished!! I agree, Yes Yes Yes!!!!

At least you didn't tell me I can't be really saved, and I'm hell bound. I get that a lot.

For questions regarding my piety I refer you to my avatar.
    I will stand with you again, Acts5:41. Brethren shouldn't argue the non-essentials of the faith. It's only the essentials of the faith we need to be firm on. Who cares what you listen to as long as it glorifies GOD??? Since when did other Christians be the judge of non-essentials??? When does it end? Should we begrudge our neighbor in Christ who abstains from meat, or should we begrudge our neighbor who does? It's a slippery slope, which comes with laundry lists of do's and don't's. Great. I though we were free from the Law which Christ fulfilled???

Romans 14
    The Weak and the Strong
    1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
    ‘every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b]

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

Tangle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CircleSlide View Post
    If we see a problem with a teen we take them aside privately and get to personally know that kid and bring up what the problem is and tell them that the behavior is not allowed in our youth group.
    I just wish it was that simple. These kids aren't doing anything wrong besides being homosexual...they aren't inappropriate or crass, and know not to show unusual affection toward the members of their own gender. The problem is just that they're happy, as bad as that sounds, and by everyone in our group seeing that their sin hasn't caused them any pain or guilt...I dunno. We try to illustrate to them and everyone else how God sees them (almost every week now), but it doesn't stop them from being as popular as they are. They're exuberant and extremely content in their lifestyle, and I'm really worried that it's going to rub off on the other children.

I strongly believe that Satan has found a great ally in homosexual children. I'm completely lost as to what to do.

Cherished I agree whole heartedly with you.

Jeff, know that I am in agreement with your concerns. I never could understand why churches did not include the children in the main services to get fed the Word along with their parents.

God's Word stands alone 2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousnes

I see no where in Scripture where it teaches to separate parents/adults from the children when learning about God.

Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Three times it is stated: Mar 10:14 But when Jesus saw [it], he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
    Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
    Luk 18:16 But Jesus called them [unto him], and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

AND look at what it says here:

Luk 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

Luk 2:43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not [of it].

Luk 2:44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among [their] kinsfolk and acquaintance.

Luk 2:45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.

Luk 2:46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

Luk 2:47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

Luk 2:48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

Luk 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

Luk 2:50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.

Luk 2:51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

Luk 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

If Jesus at 12 years of age knew enough to sit among those in the temple who were astounded at His understanding and answers, why are we hindering our young children from learning and becoming grounded in God's Word. His parents saw to it that He was taught the truth and He attended Temple with His parents.

Do you not trust the Holy Spirit of God to teach and reveal the truth to the young?

Think on this Scripture regarding children and how young the Holy Spirit can impart knowledge to them of Who Jesus is: Luk 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

Man is aways trying to second guess God and that is so sad.
    Psa 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Too Blessed to be depressed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I just wish it was that simple. These kids aren't doing anything wrong besides being homosexual...they aren't inappropriate or crass, and know not to show unusual affection toward the members of their own gender. The problem is just that they're happy, as bad as that sounds, and by everyone in our group seeing that their sin hasn't caused them any pain or guilt...I dunno. We try to illustrate to them and everyone else how God sees them (almost every week now), but it doesn't stop them from being as popular as they are. They're exuberant and extremely content in their lifestyle, and I'm really worried that it's going to rub off on the other children.

I strongly believe that Satan has found a great ally in homosexual children. I'm completely lost as to what to do.
    Like I said we haven't had to deal with it head on yet. I have a good book we have read I will have to look it up. I have to run now but I will try to remember to pm it to you, cause this IS a tough issue

I should add, I do not have kids.

However, a good youth group was a lifesaver for me. I was definitely "special needs" but was never excluded or judged.

I get my Bibles here

BTW Acts, I love Christian Rock (but okay I don't like rap or metal but that is just my taste). I really like Relient K and my all time favorite group is The Choir, hence my name Circleslide is taken from my favorite song from them.

I should add, I do not have kids.

However, a good youth group was a lifesaver for me. I was definitely "special needs" but was never excluded or judged.
    I just posted my own opinion. As far as your taste in music, I agree that it is absolutely NOT a point of argument. The lyrics glorify Him, I am all for it. Just becasue it is not my taste doesn't mean it is to be rejected.