Thread: You'd think a talking book would be harmless

Question You'd think a talking book would be harmless

My husband loves to "read" talking books from the state library for the blind.

They send him a catalog every couple of months; and he selects the titles he wants. They let him have a couple at a time.

He just came out of his room, outraged. Apparently two of the best selling selections involve a woman having an affair with a man, and later, his son... another a widower who has an affair with a man.

End Times indeed.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Are these Christian or secular books?

If they are secular, you can bet they'd have all sorts of audio titles to keep a sight-impaired person entertained, if you get my meaning. You'd think the catalogue would have warnings (like Harlequinn Romance) of whether they are explicit or violent etc. etc.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

Oh, secular, obviously.

They tend to to mainstream best seller types... lots of romance novels, suspense, etc.

Not so much with the Christian fiction. They do have "tags" - strong language, explicit descriptions of sex, etc.

It's kind of the frog in the water thing for us; he is used to R and X rated stuff for hetero... but not so much for the rest. It really is a sign of the times.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Oh, secular, obviously.

They tend to to mainstream best seller types... lots of romance novels, suspense, etc.

Not so much with the Christian fiction. They do have "tags" - strong language, explicit descriptions of sex, etc.

It's kind of the frog in the water thing for us; he is used to R and X rated stuff for hetero... but not so much for the rest. It really is a sign of the times.
    Majority of modern movies aren't any better sadly... and then people wonder why the generation growing up now hardly seems to have any good values. It's all because not having values is being glamorized in our society
    I was going to be a Calvinist, but it just wasn't meant to be!

Between women having affair with men or with demons (the latter the subject of more than one 'romance' novels I saw this week at CVS!)) it is indeed dark times.

Ew yeah, one series is just beyond gross... by LKH.

I thought I couldn't be shocked. It got to the point where I just got rid of the books I did have and stopped reading the series.

I was telling Ron, all I read these days (besides the obvious - Bible), are inspirational romance novels and non-fiction.

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Oh, secular, obviously.

I do not read anything other than Christian novels. Secular fiction is trash as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by IMSAVED View Post
    I do not read anything other than Christian novels. Secular fiction is trash as far as I am concerned.
    I like John Updike books, but there is so much sex and very... er... graphic descriptions that it sometimes bugs me.

Same here.
    Jesus, please come back TODAY!!!!

Well, I think fiction is very personal; between a person and the Lord. If you're feeling convicted, don't read it.

I'm at a point where a lot of the mainstream stuff is just too "loud". My husband likes to read plenty of regular fiction; and if he complains then I know it must have been terrible.

I get my Bibles here

I don't read a lot of books... but when I do I enjoy classic fantasy like Lord of the Rings and also anthropological books about different cultures in far away places

Never tried Christian novels, are there any good ones in particular you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by lorenei View Post
    I don't read a lot of books... but when I do I enjoy classic fantasy like Lord of the Rings and also anthropological books about different cultures in far away places

Never tried Christian novels, are there any good ones in particular you could recommend?
    Lorenei, my kids, especially my teen daughter and her friends, love Lord of the Rings. By the way, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is Christian -- in that they were written by JRR Tolkien, good friend of C.S. Lewis and both main members of the Inklings, a Christian writing group they formed. In addition to the Narnia series, Lewis also wrote a science fiction trilogy, the Perelandra series. Those are meaty books.

Of course, Lord of the Rings is not a modern "Christian novel" about Christians and unsaved friends and relatives getting saved, but it arises from a Christian sensibility and it contains Christian imagery and ideas. For example, Gandalf is a picture of Christ: he sacrifices himself fighting the Balrog so that the others can get away. Later Gandalf is no longer grey, he is Gandalf the White and is alive again and helps the hobbits, etc.

Dorothy Sayers also became a member of the Inklings. She wrote the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery stories, but also a number of Christian plays including "The Man Born to be King." She also created what I think is the best English translation of Dante's Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Reason&Hope View Post
    Lorenei, my kids, especially my teen daughter and her friends, love Lord of the Rings. By the way, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is Christian -- in that they were written by JRR Tolkien, good friend of C.S. Lewis and both main members of the Inklings, a Christian writing group they formed. In addition to the Narnia series, Lewis also wrote a science fiction trilogy, the Perelandra series. Those are meaty books.

Of course, Lord of the Rings is not a modern "Christian novel" about Christians and unsaved friends and relatives getting saved, but it arises from a Christian sensibility and it contains Christian imagery and ideas. For example, Gandalf is a picture of Christ: he sacrifices himself fighting the Balrog so that the others can get away. Later Gandalf is no longer grey, he is Gandalf the White and is alive again and helps the hobbits, etc.

Dorothy Sayers also became a member of the Inklings. She wrote the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery stories, but also a number of Christian plays including "The Man Born to be King." She also created what I think is the best English translation of Dante's Inferno.
    Yes,my daughter loved the Lord of the Ring series. But Harry Potter is not a series I would recommend. It is about witchcraft and magic or sorcery.

Quote Originally Posted by Reason&Hope View Post

Haha I never actually looked at LOTR that way, I read it before I gave my life to Christ!

My husband and I have tattoos of each other's names in elvish from LOTR, so we're a rather geeky couple

Quote Originally Posted by lorenei View Post

You might enjoy Christian fiction/romance about the Amish. Beverly Lewis is one of the best-known authors of that genre, you'll learn alot about the Amish faith/culture reading her books while being entertained by heartwarming stories. http://www.beverlylewis.com/ME2/Sites/Default.asp
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelf View Post
    You might enjoy Christian fiction/romance about the Amish. Beverly Lewis is one of the best-known authors of that genre, you'll learn alot about the Amish faith/culture reading her books while being entertained by heartwarming stories. http://www.beverlylewis.com/ME2/Sites/Default.asp
    Ooh Amish, right on subject! Me and my hubby have been watching a lot of movies about them lately since watching a documentary about Rumspringa together, we were both really touched by their simple lifestyle and how they praise God in all that they do, I think I'd enjoy reading a book about them as well

I can't afford the Amish books. My life is too simple.

I do love to get the Heartsong or Steeple Hill romance novels at the used bookstore. They will pack 8 of them together and sell them for $4. Since I service a vending machine at a Christian bookstore, I will occasionally pick up a 4-in-1 anthology (by the Heartsong authors) for $1. They are all excellent. Both lines also have inspirational suspense, as well.

I am debating signing up for auto-delivery on the Heartsong - they are about $11, for 4 books a month.

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelf View Post
    I love Amish fiction. They live such simple and moral lives that I can appreciate.I am reading a really good Amish fiction book now that is new "Paradise Valley" by Dale Cramer.
    Last edited by IMSAVED; April 17th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.