Thread: Food for a death in the family...

Default Food for a death in the family...

Odd title I know, but I also know y'all will know what I'm asking. What do you tend to take to a family who just experienced the loss of a loved one? I always struggle with how much or what to take.

I've fixed a full mean before:

Cheeseburger Chowder, all the fixings with it (frito chips, sour cream, hot sauce, cheese), bread, and brownies.

Also have done just something like grape salad. One idea I heard was, if you know a lot of people are bringing food, to bring paper plates, utensils, paper towels, cups, etc... So, what do you take, or have you heard any good ideas?

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

The hard part is that often people that are grieving won't feel like eating. I think bringing some cut up fruit that they can nibble on would be great to help them keep their energy up. Also, in the past I have brought a lasagna in a disposable baking pan with the baking instructions taped on, and a chocolate cake (I have a recipe for an AMAZING one called "To Die For Chocolate Cake" if you want it). With a constant stream of guests coming by, it's nice for them to have some treats on hand. Another good one is a whole roasted chicken (I get them at Sam's club and they are huge and under $5) or some fried chicken that they can just keep in the fridge. Even just asking them if you could order them a pizza or some food from their favorite restaurant is a wonderful gesture.

People usually bring a lot of food. Maybe some paper plates or plastic cups. Or helping them manage some of the kitchen cleanup.

We bring food because we know that during this time, that people do not have the time or energy to fix food. And this way they have plenty for out of town visitors. And do not have to put out much effort.

But definitely something easy to put together. A cold cut plate with meats and cheeses, crackers and bread.

I know that where I am from, you could not show your face in town if you did not bring something. And I imagine that is true most places.
    Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
    You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Pre-Flood!
    Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

Cut up vegetables and fruit with dips and sliced meat and cheeses are also easy and useful and most often nibbled upon.
    Proverbs 18:10--The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.

You've already received some excellent suggestions. I would suggest a variety of cold cuts, a few different kinds of bread and all the fixings for sandwhiches. A casserole or something like a lasagna or mostaccioli is also a good idea. I've also brought a couple of cases of soft drinks. If you want, you could do a spiral sliced ham. Potato salad makes a good side dish.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Dessert foods could include cookies, brownies or rice krispy treats. Coffee cake is another good idea.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

If you're pressed for time -- picking up a bucket or two of chicken is always appreciated I find.

If you know there will be a lot of people at the house (some families have a LOT of friends/family who rush to the house to support the bereaved) you might pick up a carafe of coffee and one of tea. Here in Canada, Tim Horton's will supply the large container (as a loaner, you just bring it back when you're done with it) and they fill it with coffee, tea or hot chocolate and it's enough for a crowd. Bring paper cups, creamer and sugar and stir sticks.

Be sure to return the container afterward, don't leave that on the grieving family, they probably won't know where it came from or need the added burden of returning it. Sometimes you can get them in disposable containers which alleviates the need to return anything.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

How about a casserole, in a throwaway container that the family can either cook up or freeze? I like pierogie casserole, from the Company's Coming book. Easy, filling, delicious.

A freezer meal is a good idea incase they get swamped with fresh food--a casserole that is ready and they can heat up anytime, lasagna, pot pie...

Cold cut, meat cheeses,Breads,Bag of chips,Homemade Soup(comfort food) every one is usually not concerned about eating and can just nibble or slap a sandwhich together. Because those first few days they are really busy. In a few weeks when everyone has settled and things have calm down and the crowd is gone a meal is really nice and company is usually welcomed when you are beginning to miss that loved one and could use a friend to talk too.

I remember my mom died the day before Thanksgiving unexpectedly. Our favorite time to come together with my family my moms favorite holiday to have us all together. We did not feel like eating some people prepared a whole sliced turkey, Breads,cranberry spread and condiments, homemade soup, gallons of tea it was so good we did not feel like a heavy holiday meal but yet we had a piece of the holiday to keep us nourished. It was also semi healthy for those diabetics in our family.

Really anything you do I am sure is welcomed it's truly the thought that count.

He is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings the grass from the earth. (2 Samuel 23:4)

My family, I think, is a little different. Honestly, when daddy died, we were ordering delivery pizza within the hour. We are all nervous eaters. I like to take bbq chicken and brown rice or potato salad to people. It's easy and good reheated. And I think you can never go wrong with a cake.
    John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"