Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black panther sighting in SouthEast Missouri? (The animal, not the racist lol)

Default Black panther sighting in SouthEast Missouri? (The animal, not the racist lol)

Hey guys I wanted to share an experience that didn't dawn on me until yesterday and it happened about two weeks ago. Back on Thursday the 21st of April I was out turkey hunting in one area and then decided, after the hunt was over, to go up to my wife's family's farmland and look for those blasted armadillos I had seen there one day. I was armed with my .380acp in my pocket and my Mossberg 702 .22LR rifle.

I walked around the land for a while scouting around and whatnot and eventually made my way back to a spot behind an old house on the edge of a small field area. As it went east it ramped up into a hill with trees and a fence behind it. I went around some trees and started to go toward the hill/ridgeline and noticed a tree down on top of the hill in front of the fence (many trees were down because of the strong storms that had gone through). As I looked at the trunk of the tree, which was around 60 yards from me, I noticed this black shape jutting perpendicular to it. I just stood there and stared at it and it did not move one micron. I kept wondering what it could have been. It was so dark in color it looked like a silhouette and it just didn't move at all. I couldn't figure it out. I just thought maybe it was a tree limb sticking up from behind the fallen tree or something. I wasn't thinking "black panther" or something because you just don't expect to see anything like that. Half jokingly I'm like "yeah, what's that, a demon?". Just a black outline without any features you know. But now that I look back I though I had a feeling that whatever it was was something of significance and was possibly watching me - looking at me - but since I wasn't thinking about it I just dismissed it and started to make my way up the hill and would be going up it and curving to my left toward the fallen tree to investigate the site. I didn't watch that spot while I hiked toward it but I now wish I had. When I got up there all I found was a tree and a trunk with nothing black on it at all. I looked all around for something that would have looked like that and had been that dark in color but I found NOTHING. I even walked back a little and squatted down, trying to simulate the angle I would have seen this thing at and there was NOTHING that would have been right there, at ANY other angle. It was quite puzzling. I even looked off on the other side of the fence and didn't see anything around that would have looked that dark.

After that I walked around for a while more and found the remains of a deer skeleton. Everything was gone but the part of the pelvis that attaches to the spinal column, some ribs, and the skull minus the lower jaw. It had been there a while because the bones were dried out and sun-bleached.

In afterthoughts I realize that cats like to sit and hang out in high spots and that was up on a fallen tree up a hill with a really good view of the long, narrow field below.

I now wish I had had a camcorder or at least a digital camera so I could have at least tried to get a video or a shot of it. Heck even binoculars would have helped me see the blasted thing. Next time I'm down there I'm going to bring the .357 Magnum (maybe sometime a long gun of mine in the .30cal range) with me again and also try to find any possible sign from it too. I even looked into cougar sightings in Missouri and there HAS indeed been a number of reports of people claiming to have seen a black panther in this region. I may be right after all...
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
    Psalm 91:7-8

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
    Romans 8:31

Anybody have an encounter with anything considered a cryptid? lol.
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn... Isaiah 54.17

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

very cool, too bad you don't have a picture!

I've seen something just like that. I've seen strange and similar at dawn and dusk in the woods here in Texas. Someone around probably has an illegal exotic animals thing going and it/they got loose.

Black panthers aren't native to these parts! Yours neither! If you see it again, report it to animal control and be careful. Taking a gun isn't a bad idea at all.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorX View Post
    Anybody have an encounter with anything considered a cryptid? lol.
    Down here in SC we have the Lizardman of Bishopville and Bingham's light of Blenheim! But both have only ever been witnessed by drunk, high teenagers late night. So, the legends just have to be true, of course.

What you saw may have been someone's lost pet. In the 70's, it was a popular trend to have big cats as pets, but when states passed laws against this dangerous fad, many owners preferred to loose their beasts in the wild than have them put in a zoo or put to sleep.
    "For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Revelation 19:10

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyK View Post
    I've seen something just like that. I've seen strange and similar at dawn and dusk in the woods here in Texas. Someone around probably has an illegal exotic animals thing going and it/they got loose.

Black panthers aren't native to these parts! Yours neither! If you see it again, report it to animal control and be careful. Taking a gun isn't a bad idea at all.
    Oh yeah I can also shoulder carry my .357 Magnum (Taurus model 66). I had the .380 and .22LR rifle on me but the .357 would be a lot better. If I want to get a little meaner than I got my .30-30, SKS, and/or 12 gauge lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Duffee View Post
    Down here in SC we have the Lizardman of Bishopville and Bingham's light of Blenheim! But both have only ever been witnessed by drunk, high teenagers late night. So, the legends just have to be true, of course.

What you saw may have been someone's lost pet. In the 70's, it was a popular trend to have big cats as pets, but when states passed laws against this dangerous fad, many owners preferred to loose their beasts in the wild than have them put in a zoo or put to sleep.
    Oh yeah Missouri also has what they call "Momo" up around Louisiana, MO - It's supposedly a type of bigfoot but around 6 to 6.5 feet tall.

Good grief WarriorX! The suspense as you described everything and what you were doing sent chills up my spine. I don't doubt that you saw something, it could very well be a panther or large cat that was let loose as Mr. Duffee and TimothyK said. Phew, keep us posted on it if you see anything, and take pics!!! Btw, is your .380 a Ruger LCP?
    My soul is in anguish.
    How long, O LORD, how long? -Psalms 6:3

Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. Revelations 22:12

Salvation!

For if you confess to others with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe with your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved! -Romans 10:9

"Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory!" Luke 21:27

Quote Originally Posted by Surafel View Post
    Good grief WarriorX! The suspense as you described everything and what you were doing sent chills up my spine. I don't doubt that you saw something, it could very well be a panther or large cat that was let loose as Mr. Duffee and TimothyK said. Phew, keep us posted on it if you see anything, and take pics!!! Btw, is your .380 a Ruger LCP?
    I've got a Kel-Tec P-3AT. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorX View Post
    I've got a Kel-Tec P-3AT. lol.
    Ahhh, I've heard of those, Ruger apparently copied their design but threw a slide lock as an extra and charged 50-70 more for it. I've also heard that the first generation Kel-tecs had problems but smoothed out by the second generation batches coming out. Man, .380s are sweet pistols, 'specially the pocket ones.
    My soul is in anguish.
    How long, O LORD, how long? -Psalms 6:3

Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. Revelations 22:12

Salvation!

For if you confess to others with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe with your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved! -Romans 10:9

"Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory!" Luke 21:27

Quote Originally Posted by Surafel View Post
    Ahhh, I've heard of those, Ruger apparently copied their design but threw a slide lock as an extra and charged 50-70 more for it. I've also heard that the first generation Kel-tecs had problems but smoothed out by the second generation batches coming out. Man, .380s are sweet pistols, 'specially the pocket ones.
    Yeah I had my first look at a Kel-Tec .380 at my concealed carry class. I really liked how narrow it was and thought it would be a really good choice for carrying. I wish it did have a slide release but if they had added it they'd lose their lightest .380acp pocket pistol status (I think they still have it, not sure). They came to around 8 ounces and the LCP was about 9. I guess a slide lock mechanism can weigh an extra ounce lol.

I used to shoot it with the tip of my finger on the trigger and the kickback would cause the trigger guard to hit me on the last knuckle of my trigger finger and actually got it to bleed from a few shots. I decided I might do better with putting my entire finger into the guard and squeezing. The kick also makes you feel like it's going to jump out of your hand but you just need to hold onto it as best as possible. It's a bit small in my hand (hands are about 9" from wrist to tip of middle finger and 10" span) but you just have to compensate the best you can lol. BUT, the small size fits pretty darn good in my pocket in my pocket holster.

My .357 Magnum fits nicely in my shoulder holster.

If small (27-33"), it could have been a dark morph Jaguarundi (rare) that escaped from captivity (illegal pet) or wandered far from its usual range in Texas and Arizona.

Whatever it was, you should report your sighting to the MO DNR: http://mdc.mo.gov/

Of interest, scroll to the bottom of the page for the Mountain Lion (Cougar) sighting in Macon County on May 11.

If you look for tracks next time, you may already know that unlike canines and bears, cats leave no claw marks.

Stay safe and keep us informed.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by EarsToHear View Post
    If small (27-33"), it could have been a dark morph Jaguarundi (rare) that escaped from captivity (illegal pet) or wandered far from its usual range in Texas and Arizona.

Whatever it was, you should report your sighting to the MO DNR: http://mdc.mo.gov/

Of interest, scroll to the bottom of the page for the Mountain Lion (Cougar) sighting in Macon County on May 11.

If you look for tracks next time, you may already know that unlike canines and bears, cats leave no claw marks.

Stay safe and keep us informed.
    Well I'd report it if I knew for sure, without a shadow of a doubt, what it was. Since whatever it was looked like an amorphous silhouette from where I was at and I had nothing telescopic to get a better look at it with me I wouldn't want to report something so enigmatic right now. Hopefully we'll be going back down there in the next week or something and I can go up and check for tracks. My problem was I was really incoherent about what it could have been until my wife mentioned that she thought she saw a cougar or something similar years ago down there. Based on the confirmed sighting of tracks or other physical evidence in Reynolds county it wouldn't be much of a stretch of the imagination that they could very well be in Madison county (where they farm is) also.

I also found rather large canine tracks on one of the roads down that way also. It had to have been like 2.5" to 3" in diameter. Of course that could have very well been someone's pet dog. A big dog obviously lol. There's never been coyotes that large in this region.

I keep trying to analyze the mental image I have of the thing and I seem to think there was some barely visible light spots on it, that's why I thought it looked like a darkened limb from a tree - the spotting was arranged in such a way that it must have made me think of bark. Since I wasn't thinking "cat" at the time that would have made more sense to me at the time. MAN I wish I had investigated a little bit harder LOL.

Ok well I went down to the farm again today (Wednesday) and saw neither hide nor hair of anything significant. I even went back up to the spot I was at that day and realized whatever I saw was smaller than any black panther could have been. So that leaves it as either a dark jaguarundi or melanistic bobcat. The ONLY thing I found that would even make you think cats have been in the area was one possible track that would have been larger than a house cat paw print and it was near one of the ponds down there. So yeah I'm not sure what to think now lol.

Other than that I found a box turtle in a clump of uneaten grass in that field below the sighting site and remnants of a turkey (wing feathers and bones including leg, wing, rib cage and pelvis). As for the turkey, obviously something had to have killed and eaten it. My guess would have been coyote or maybe bobcat. If a human would have cleaned it there they wouldn't have left anything containing those bones behind. The bones had been there for a while - probably as long as those of that deer I saw (by the way I didn't find any of that deer skeleton this time around. It may have been washed away by the heavy rains and flooding going on). because they were bleached white and dry.......as a bone........

With the infrequency of going down there there's going to be a big hit-and-miss factor unfortunately.

I wouldn't discount that this was what you believe it to have been.
    Here in WV I hear quite a few recounts of sightings, but nobody ever seems
    to be able to produce a specimen? However, there have been a few compelling
    videos that have been featured on "Monster Quest" etc..
    Many would have you believe there is a Mountain Lion behind every tree here,
    but it's simply not true.

I'm certain there are isolated cases where the circumstances are just not known.

adam423 Guest

That sounds just like these "dark creatures" from the book, The Keeper of Darkness, that I read. LOL...It's a Christian suspense novel. What you wrote could have been a scene in the book.

Optical illusion has played a large part in "Cat" sightings.
    Researchers have demonstrated that the field of view in
    combination with little or poor reference points is
    often over estimated and out of proportion
    giving a closer object (house cat etc.), a much larger appearance.

DH spotted two black panthers 2 deer seasons ago along the Iowa Missouri border. He for sure seen two of them and reported them to DNR. Well they swear up and down that there are NO cougars or panthers in MO or Iowa, but we have heard of numerous people up here seeing them and also news reports of atleast cougars here. I am not sure why DNR would try to hide the fact that they are here.
    chahta 3/22/52-1/12/08
    we miss you

It could have been worse, you could be near an election poll

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Could a been a pole cat then.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    It could have been worse, you could be near an election poll
    LOL yeah.
    I didn't hear anyone yelling about how they hate "crackers" at least.