Thread: PA can't pay salaries in May due to Israel halting funds transfer

Pray PA can't pay salaries in May due to Israel halting funds transfer

Yet another situation to watch as we head toward the May 15th "Third Intifada". This could be bad. It was just a few weeks ago we thought my husband, who is active duty Navy, would not be getting paid, and I remember how upset I was with our government for not setting their political agendas aside and putting those whose livelihoods depend on their paychecks from the government ahead of politics for once. The Palestinians already hate Israel with a passion . . . this is more fuel to feed the fire.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...nsfer-1.360752

The Palestinian Authority said on Monday it had not been able to pay salaries for the first time since 2007 because of Israel's decision to halt the transfer of funds it collects on its behalf.

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said Israel's decision, a move driven by Israeli concern over a Palestinian unity deal including Hamas, had put the Ramallah-based government in a "very difficult" financial position.

Fayyad said the PA had paid salaries to its 150,000 employees promptly on the 5th day of every month since mid-2007. "We are now on the 9th and we have not been able to meet this obligation," he said.

Israel recently blocked the transfer of 105 million dollars in customs duties and other levies it collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority, following a deal to reunite the two rival Palestinian groups Hamas and Fatah.

Palestinians see reconciliation between the secular Fatah and Islamist Hamas as crucial for their drive for an independent state in Gaza and the West Bank. The two groups had been at odds since a brief civil war in 2007, after which Hamas seized control in Gaza, and Fatah was left to administer the West Bank.

Israel has condemned the unity pact as a "tremendous blow to peace", with Netanyahu refusing to negotiate with Hamas, whose charter calls for Israel's destruction.
    ~Melissa~

John 10:27-30 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

Default Better Article

I should have checked the other Israeli news sources. YNet has a much better article with more info.

The Palestinian Authority said on Monday it had not been able to pay salaries for the first time since 2007 because of Israel's decision to halt the transfer of funds it collects on its behalf.

Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said Israel's decision, a move driven by Israeli concern over a Palestinian unity deal including Hamas, had put the Ramallah-based government in a "very difficult" financial position.

Fayyad said the PA had paid salaries to its 150,000 employees promptly on the fifth day of every month since mid-2007. "We are now on the ninth and we have not been able to meet this obligation," he said.

The Palestinian prime minister said that the salaries would be paid as soon as Israel transferred the tax funds. He added that the PA had turned to donor countries and Arab states for help.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government decided on May 1 to halt the transfers which make up 70% of PA revenues, citing fear that the money would go to Hamas, a militant group hostile to Israel.

Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz addressed the decision again on Sunday. "I decided, immediately after the announcement on the Hamas-PA merger, to temporary halt the transfer of funds until we receive clarifications.

"This is also a warning that if a Hamas state is established, we won't be able to fund it as a government," he added.

Following Israel's decision, France said it would transfer the Palestinian government €10 million ($14 million) in aid funds.

Steinitz cancelled the latest routine handover of some NIS 300 million (approx. $88 million) in customs funds and other levies collected on behalf of the Palestinians, as stipulated in the Oslo Accords.

Fatah Central Committee member Saeb Ereket denounced the Israeli decision last week, calling it "financial piracy."

"This reflects Israel's dangerous intentions," he said, adding that Jerusalem had no right to interfere with internal Palestinian affairs.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...066606,00.html
    ~Melissa~

John 10:27-30 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

Just another reason/excuse for them to bash Israel. I wonder how much money has been funneled from PA coffers to terrorist activity over the years?

Hmm, I wonder if this could lead to some "coalition" wanting to come in and take what is "owed" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if this could lead to some "coalition" wanting to come in and take what is "owed" them.
    That sounds like something they would do.
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

UH-OH. I seem to recall a statement from the Palestinians a few days ago that if this happened, they'd push for the Palestinian State at the UN in MAY or JUNE.
    "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." - 1 Corinthians 15:26

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Yahya View Post
    UH-OH. I seem to recall a statement from the Palestinians a few days ago that if this happened, they'd push for the Palestinian State at the UN in MAY or JUNE.
    Yep! We discussed that here: http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1606...MAY-sound-quot
    ~Melissa~

Yes, I had read the same thing. May is turning out to be quite an interesting month to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by friharbor View Post
    Yes, I had read the same thing. May is turning out to be quite an interesting month to watch!
    Thats for sure!!!!!

NeverTheLess Guest

Maybe the community organizing P.A. could just tap Obama's stash

Quote Originally Posted by friharbor View Post
    Yeah. It's been nuts how much has happened already this year.

Israel

God bless Israel!!!!!
    Come Lord Jesus and bring us home soon!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast."
    Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

I may not be perfect, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!

Default And related . . . "France Adds Funds for PA Unity Gov't "

France has agreed to provide an additional 10 million euros in funding to the new Palestinian Authority unity government.

The merger unites the U.S.-backed Ramallah-based secular Fatah faction with the Gaza-based Islamist Hamas terrorist group.

France made the announcement Monday after condemning Israel's decision earlier this month to freeze the routine transfer of taxes and customs fees collected on behalf of the PA.

Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz announced May 1 Israel would freeze the transfer of some NIS 300 million ($88 million) to Ramallah until there was a way to ensure the money would not reach the hands of Hamas terrorists.

The PA complained Monday that it has not been able to pay government salaries for the first time since 2007 due to Israel's decision to freeze the funds. PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said the decision had put the PA government in a “very difficult” financial position. He appealed to donor countries to help resolve the crisis with additional financial aid and by pressuring Israel to release the funds.

A certain portion of the monies the Ramallah-based government pays is typically allocated for salaries of workers in Gaza. This creates difficulty for Israel, which is determined to prevent money from reaching the hands of Hamas terrorists who are intent upon murdering Israeli citizens.

In addition, kidnapped IDF soldier Gilad Shalit, who was abducted from an army post near the Kerem Shalom crossing in June 2006 is still being held hostage by Hamas in Gaza.

Shalit's whereabouts and condition remain unknown. To this day, Hamas has not allowed representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross to visit him.

Moreover, Hamas remains dedicated to the destruction of the State of Israel, as called for in its founding charter. It has also refused to accept the conditions called for by the Quartet for Middle East affairs (EU, Russia, U.S. and U.N.). Those conditions include renouncing violence, recognizing Israel's right to exist and agreeing to uphold agreements signed between prior PA governments and the State of Israel.
    http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/144034
    ~Melissa~

So much is happening...almost overwhelming to my heart when it all comes into account.

So much is happening...almost overwhelming to my heart when it all comes into account.
    Me too..... Its all so exciting..yet disturbing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvat3r View Post
    Before it was just excitement...now it's an indescribable heaviness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvat3r View Post
    I can relate to that feeling. Excited that we are on the door step of the most fantastic event in human history yet the evil, hurt and devastion that will come to the people left behind is unimaginable.
    Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBORN56 View Post
    I can relate to that feeling. Excited that we are on the door step of the most fantastic event in human history yet the evil, hurt and devastion that will come to the people left behind is unimaginable.
    Just saw in another thread though that Israel is now agreed to accept the Palestinian state which includes Hamas. So, looks like they will be sending them the money after all now. Not sure what to make of all of this. I thought I kind of had it figured out, but now I'm more confused than ever.
    I really want to go home.
    Come Lord Jesus and bring us home soon!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast."
    Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

I may not be perfect, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!