Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does God Really Love Pretty People More?

Default Does God Really Love Pretty People More?

I suppose intellectually I know the answer to this question, but emotionally I don't. Eve must have been extremely beautiful since everything was perfect before the fall.

In our society, beautiful women often make more money than less beautiful because they get paid for their beauty through entertainment and modeling and such. According to articles I read, pretty women are more apt to be hired in just about every line of work. (And get paid more)

Obviously, guys revere the pretty women and don't even give a plain woman a second glance.

God made us to want to be married, I believe. So why did he make some of us to be less desirable in the way we look? Are beautiful women more deserving even in God's eyes?

When I was younger, I was attractive enough to turn heads, but certainly never drop dead gorgeous, or pretty enough that I particularly stood out in a crowd. And though while plenty of males found me attractive, I never felt attractive enough. You know, the magazines and media tell you all about all the flaws you didn't know you had 'til they pointed it out to you.

I remember being 15 reading an ad in a women's magazine. 'Do you have cellulite?' I went straight to the mirror and started examining myself closely. Horrified, I went to my mom and exclaimed, 'I have cellulite!' As though it was some horrid disease. I'd never heard of it before that ad. (Of course, my mom thought it, and I , was ridiculous).

Now I'm 48 and married. I've gained weight and will never look like Demi Moore or Jennifer Anniston or Angelina Jolie.

I've read so many ugly comments under news articles geared toward women who are not so pretty.

Why did God make some of us less than pretty? Of course, I know it goes back to sin. But does that mean somehow the beautiful women are less sinful than the plain?

Forgive me for this silly post, but I'm at a bad place in my life right now, and sometimes it really does bother me how society treats women like they are less valuable if they don't look like beauty queens.

Was Jesus a beautiful or handsome man? Or was he plain and unremarkable in physical appearance?

These bodies are nothing more than temporary vessels, are they not?

There is a beauty God talks about. He calls it the pearl of great price. It's his bride.

If someone is a member of Church, the bride, then I believe that He thinks there is nothing more beautiful in all of creation.
    I accept nothing from man as truth...
    only that, One is the truth. (John 14-6)

Pre-Flood/Pre-Trib (Genesis 5-24)

Thomas45 Guest

You could say the same for people who are born with mental diseases or physical disabilities.

It's got nothing to do with God. It's because we rebelled and now live with a imperfect body. God still loves us all equally and has a purpose for everything.

Some people may look better or know more than others but God certainly doesn't love them more.

God looks at the heart, not the superficiality in advertising.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

For a biblical description of a truly beautiful woman, look here:

Proverbs 31

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
    11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
    12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
    13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
    14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
    15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
    16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
    17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
    18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
    19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
    20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
    21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
    22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
    23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
    24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
    25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
    26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
    27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
    28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
    29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
    30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

I forgot where it came from, but some know the story about Johnny and his 10 cow wife.

The story goes a missionary was working in the Phillipines (or something like that) and heard this comment about a 10 cow wife. Curious, the missionary sought out Johnny to hear the story. At the door, he was greated by a beautiful woman then seated while she went for Johnny.

Johnny smiled at the missionary's nievete' then started his story.
    It was several years ago. He was in love. But his beloved was a homely girl - Sarina. All the other women derided Sarina, no one would want her, and as the custom was to pay a dowry of a cow to the brides father, she would be lucky to get a chicken.

Well Johnny knew of this and Loved his Sarina. He hated the idea of the other women mocking the woman he loved. He thought of her shame at the fountain when other women came for water or to wash clothing. He thought of the humiliation.

No, not his Sarina.

So after saving he went to ask for her. He approached her father and beconed him outside. There stood 10 cattle. He insisted he have Sarina and this was the best he could offer, And nothing less would suffice for such a woman.

Of course the father did not argue and took the prize.

Johnny however was the winner. Sarina glowed with the knowledge of the value he had placed on her. It changed her from the inside out.

The missionary asked to see this young lady.

Johnny smiled. She is the one who greated you.

Husbands Love your wives. We really do. We grow old with you. yet so many wives judge themselves by the appearances of others.

Sadly youth passes, and we will remember those days. Some of us are blessed with a long blessed relationship. Others are subject to trials.

The most frustrating thing is when you tell your beloved you treasure them, and they refuse to believe you.

Its tough when the world bombards you with the notion you deserve more, better, bigger, shapelier....

And the ones who suffer the most are the ones who truely love each other, but begin to believe the lie that their spouse wants something else or worse, they do. That is where it starts. Few make it to the post child years and find all the business of working and raising kids is gone, and now have time for each other again.

Fewer still were able to maintain that relationship. Loving and serving one another.

Still one of the critical elements in this whole thing is self image. We need to see ourselves as precious in God's eyes. We need to see the internal beauty of a humble spirit. We need to keep that God placed value in our hearts and see it in our spouses as well.

Proverbs 31:30
    Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

Airhead blondes (ok redheads) may be delightful to look at, but a reality check makes one grow tired of it quickly. It is so much more intimate when your mate desires to be with you and share your dreams. And sometimes you might be surprised to find your beloved is simply wanting the same.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Isaiah says Jesus Himself wasn't much to look at.

Can anyone find this scripture? i'll try to look it up, but i'm not sure I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevivedAgain View Post
    Why did God make some of us less than pretty? Of course, I know it goes back to sin. But does that mean somehow the beautiful women are less sinful than the plain?

Forgive me for this silly post, but I'm at a bad place in my life right now, and sometimes it really does bother me how society treats women like they are less valuable if they don't look like beauty queens.
    God made us in the image of Himself. Nothing is more beautiful or more perfect then this standard. But by sin, we are corrupted. Perfection is lost and we are broken.

God isn't responsible for sin. God didn't do this to us. Satan did. We did.

Sin get's to all of us in various degrees and different ways. Just because beautiful people don't look broken doesn't mean that they aren't. I'd wager, even go as far to call this a 'discovery' in how things work, in that many (not all) beautiful people are probably some of the most messed up internally. They struggle with burdens and various other aspects of sin others do not for reason of their beauty.

It's easy being on the less beautiful side looking to the beautifully crafted to say in the heart 'well I wish I had their problems!', but you honestly wouldn't. By reason of pride in their beauty and appearance some are even lost to Hell for this reason. Where as for yourself dear sister, you are saved and beloved of God by Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

The things you can see of the here and now today are temporary. Nothing will last. The beauty of the beautiful is subject to the same laws of decay as we all are by reason of sin. But soon God is going to restore all things and remake or else restore the world again, the way it was meant to be.

At this time we'll reflect the intention of God's perfected work, even as Jesus Christ is the first fruits of such by His own body being raised incorruptible.

In the natural, outward beauty is often a snare for vanity. Aging levels the field in due time.

Take comfort that God's foremost interest is in the spiritual condition of our hearts, for salvation.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeLordJesus View Post
    Isaiah says Jesus Himself wasn't much to look at.

Can anyone find this scripture? i'll try to look it up, but i'm not sure I can find it.

2For [the Servant of God] grew up before Him like a tender plant, and like a root out of dry ground; He has no form or comeliness [royal, kingly pomp], that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him. Isaiah 53
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Deuteronomy 10:17

God the Father is no respector of persons, He will not
    show any type of favoritism to any man or woman he has ever created.

userpen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laney View Post
    Deuteronomy 10:17

God the Father is no respector of persons, He will not
    show any type of favoritism to any man or woman he has ever created.

Very true.

Evoo327 Guest

Sometimes, we need something in order to stay humble. In my past, when I was "prettier," I found that I struggled more with pride and vanity, and did not focus enough on God or what actually is true beauty in God's sight.

You are beautiful to our King, no matter what.

I have a pretty face, now. I wasn't so hot in my teens.

My husband is not physically attractive, and he's blind. As we've traveled together, he has added more physical disabilities to the mix.

One thing I have always appreciated about my husband; he looks at a person's heart. I think it is a true gift. Once he told me "What an ugly woman" as I pushed him in his wheelchair away from a woman who was physically beautiful and fit. I laughed, and told him, I like that about you.

One of the nicest compliments I got, a letter from a secret admirer when I was 13 (he had a horrible cleft lip and a lot of scarring on his face) "I love you because you don't care about appearance".

My husband thinks he is "ugly". A lot of people might agree.

I don't.

I will also add, while I am pretty fit, and have a nice face, I also have brain damage, a very abusive and neglectful childhood, and mental illness.

Everyone is attracted to a "pretty" person.

Only the discriminating are attracted to the "average". It's like prescreening them.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

My 2 cents.

I've known several people who were not what you would call outwardly attractive, but their personalities could light up a room.

Also, the comfort you have in your own skin comes across to others. Sometimes people can pick up on the fact that you have a poor self-image.

I've seen many an unattractive person be extremely personable and wonderful to interact with.

Too much good looks can be a thorn in your side....vanity, and dependence on outward appearance that fades with time. The less attractive seem to have less interaction problems, and consequently, they can have more friends.
    Jesus saith unto him, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

Evoo327 Guest

I suppose intellectually I know the answer to this question, but emotionally I don't. Eve must have been extremely beautiful since everything was perfect before the fall.

Look just there-- a (kind of) answer to that last quoted question! If Eve was, in fact, as beautiful as we can imagine, then it didn't help her sinful state, at all.

...Are beautiful women more deserving even in God's eyes?
    When I read your post, this is what came to mind right away, RevivedAgain.

Look at lovely Rachel and her not so lovely sister, Leah, beginning in Genesis 29. According to Genesis 29:31, beautiful women are not more deserving in God's eyes:

When the Lord saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren.

Quote Originally Posted by RevivedAgain
    Again, using the example of Rachel and Leah, I'd have to answer no, beautiful women are not necessarily less sinful than the plain.

Rachel (the beautiful sister) stole household idols from her father (Genesis 31:19), omitted the truth from her husband, Jacob (Genesis 31:32), then lied to her father when he came in to her tent to look for them. (Genesis 31:34,35).
    Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith... (Hebrews 12:2)

Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ...(Philippians 1:6)

I have met very beautiful people and YET their SOUL was the most Unattractive thing and their ugliness came out.

GOD finds beauty in ones Heart and Soul, not by outwardly appearance.

In our society, beautiful women often make more money than less beautiful because they get paid for their beauty through entertainment and modeling and such. According to articles I read, pretty women are more apt to be hired in just about every line of work. (And get paid more)

Obviously, guys revere the pretty women and don't even give a plain woman a second glance.

God made us to want to be married, I believe. So why did he make some of us to be less desirable in the way we look? Are beautiful women more deserving even in God's eyes?

When I was younger, I was attractive enough to turn heads, but certainly never drop dead gorgeous, or pretty enough that I particularly stood out in a crowd. And though while plenty of males found me attractive, I never felt attractive enough. You know, the magazines and media tell you all about all the flaws you didn't know you had 'til they pointed it out to you.

I remember being 15 reading an ad in a women's magazine. 'Do you have cellulite?' I went straight to the mirror and started examining myself closely. Horrified, I went to my mom and exclaimed, 'I have cellulite!' As though it was some horrid disease. I'd never heard of it before that ad. (Of course, my mom thought it, and I , was ridiculous).

Now I'm 48 and married. I've gained weight and will never look like Demi Moore or Jennifer Anniston or Angelina Jolie.

I've read so many ugly comments under news articles geared toward women who are not so pretty.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Even if you are physically very pretty there will always someone who is prettier than you in one way or another, and if your physical appearance is where you draw your ultimate happiness from every time you meet someone who is more attractive than you it will be a real blow to your happiness, not to mention it will cause severe jealousy and perhaps even hatred. But if you draw your ultimate happiness from Christ, then no one can take it away! But I definitely know how you feel... I always compare myself to other women, and that's not a good thing.

I have what my DH calls a very cute appearance... I have a round face, dimples on my cheeks, pouty lips - but I have never been what would typically be considered beautiful.

DH and I went shopping on monday and they had some kinda modelling contest at the mall which anyone could enter, so I thought I'd give it a go just for fun. When I was standing in line to have my picture taken I was surrounded by so many beautiful women I felt like an ogre I had to tell myself to just snap out of it because it doesn't even matter at the end of the day!

Whenever I have one of those days when I am feeling down about how I look and I start feeling jealous of girls in the magazines etc. I just think to myself "I wonder if she is saved?... Would I rather trade being saved for looking like her? Of course not! I should be happy " And it helps, because at the end of the day Christ is my happiness, not my appearance.

Don't know if this helps you at all, I hope it does
    I was going to be a Calvinist, but it just wasn't meant to be!