Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Soon Will the Tribulation Follow the Rapture?

fredberry Guest

Default How Soon Will the Tribulation Follow the Rapture?

Is there any biblical support for thinking that the tribulation will follow the rapture in short order?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

ImOnStandby221 Guest

if we go by the examples that Yeshua gives in Luke 17: 27 & 29 regarding Noah and Lot, He says that judgment was delayed until the very day the righteous were delivered. so some people take this to mean that the Tribulation will start immediately after the Rapture of the Church.

yet if you take Enoch as a type of the Church in the Old Testament, Enoch was raptured 669 years before the flood of Noah, following the chronology of Genesis. so this could indicate quite a gap between the Rapture and the start of the Tribulation.

nowhere in Scripture does it state that the Trib must immediately start with the Rapture. actually the two are completely unrelated except to say that we know the Rapture must happen first. what starts the Trib is the anitichrist "confirming the covenant" with Israel, not the Rapture. the Rapture could happen hours, days, weeks , months or even years before this.

the way things look in the world now it would appear that if there is a gap it will probably be a short one, perhaps not more than a few months. but there's no definitive evidence of how long a gap or if any gap at all.

tweety Guest

Fredberry
    Is there any biblical support for thinking that the tribulation will follow the rapture in short order?
    Possibly 1 Thess 5:3
    While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

I take the ‘destruction’ and ‘labor pains’ to be the Tribulation that comes unexpectedly and without warning to those left behind. The Day of the Lord would not come suddenly if the rapture were to occur several days or weeks before the Tribulation. It would come suddenly if that day began several hours after the rapture

I believe that the rapture will occur right before the Psalm 83 War and will be the catalyst for both the war and the confirming of the covenant afterward as I explain in this post on another thread: http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1618...14#post2085414

The Greek word "harpazo", which we translate as "rapture" or "snatching away" literally means to seize, carry off by force, or snatch out of the way. Just by the meaning of this word alone, which describes the departure of the Church, it sounds like the Church will be yanked out of here right before Daniel's 70th week begins, with little to no gap between the two.

I would guess no more than a few days to a week or so max for a gap.

I personally agree with the scholars who think there will likely be an interval of days, weeks, months (perhaps even longer) between the Rapture and the start of the Trib.

The reason I think there may be an interval is that the Bible indicates that there are sometimes intervals between dispensations.

For example, there was the interval between the end of the Mosaic Law (at the Cross) and the beginning of the Church Age at Pentecost.

There will, it seems, also be about a 75-day interval between the end of the Trib (at the Second Coming) and the start of the Millennial Kingdom.

In his book The Footsteps of the Messiah, Dr. Fruchtenbaum mentions the possibility of an interval between the Rapture and the start of the Trib:

"The Rapture precedes the Tribulation, but it does not begin the Tribulation, a fact confused by many Pretribulationists. It is not the Rapture, but the seven-year covenant which begins the Tribulation. The Rapture will merely come some time before this, and may very well precede the Tribulation by a good number of years."
    (My comment, fwiw: I think it's perhaps more likely that any interval between the Rapture and the start of the Trib will be fairly short. I base this on the fact that the interval between the Cross and Pentecost was only about 50 days, and the interval between the end of the Trib and the start of the Millennium will only be about 75 days.)

Dr. Thomas Ice also sees an interval between the Rapture and the start of the Trib:

Since there will be an interval of days, weeks, months, or years between the rapture and the start of the tribulation, there could be millions of Christian converts even before the tribulation begins.
    http://www.pre-trib.org/data/pdf/Ice...TheMillenn.pdf
    The rapture ends the church age, but does not start the tribulation. The seven-year tribulation begins when the Revived Roman antichrist makes an agreement to protect Israel (Dan. 9:24–27). Thus, the interval could be days, weeks, months, or years in length in order to fully set the stage for the events of that seven-year period.
    http://www.pre-trib.org/data/pdf/Ice...3839Part30.pdf
    And here's Dr. Fruchtenbaum commenting on the interval between the end of the Tribulation and the start of the Millennium:

"The Millennium will not begin the day immediately following the last day of the Great Tribulation because there will be a seventy-five day interval. During this time between the Great Tribulation and the start of the Messianic Age, a number of events will occur. The existence of this interval is demonstrated in Daniel 12:11-12...

In previous discussions, the figure of 1,260 days has often appeared, which is equivalent to 3-1/2 years. Sometimes it is in reference to the first half of the Tribulation, from the signing of the seven-year covenant to the takeover of the Jewish Temple and the commitment of the Abomination of Desolation. Other times it refers to the second half of the Tribulation, from the Abomination of Desolation to the Second Coming, during which time the Antichrist will rule the world. The demise of the Antichrist and the end of the Tribulation will come 1,260 days after the midpoint of the Tribulation.

In this Daniel passage, two other figures are given. The first is 1,290 days, an addition of thirty days, during which time the Abomination of Desolation remains in the Temple before its removal. The second figure is 1,335 days, which is 45 days beyond the 1,290-day period and 75 days beyond the 1,260-day period. A special blessing is pronounced on those who will make it to the 1,335th day. The blessing is that those who survive until the 75th day of the interval will enter the Messianic Kingdom..."

fredberry Guest

Thanks for the quick replies.

I, too, once held the position that the Tribulation begins shortly after the Rapture but realized that I did so because much of the prophetic word defining that period has already been fulfilled especially since 1948. The Bible clearly tells us the Rapture is an imminent event with no precursors. Therefore, looking at it from the perspective of just 100 years ago forces one to conclude that the time between the Rapture and the start of the Tribulation must be indeterminate.

I find it interesting that so many respected prophesy scholars (men who take the Bible literally) hold the dogmatic position that the Tribulation immediately follows the Rapture. Because they are ‘recognized experts’ in this field caused me to think there was something in the scripture that I had missed more closely connecting the two. Apparently not!

Thanks for including the quotes from Dr. Fructenbaum.

Fred

tweety Guest

I, too, once held the position that the Tribulation begins shortly after the Rapture but realized that I did so because much of the prophetic word defining that period (Tribulation) has already been fulfilled especially since 1948.
    Sounds like partial preterist?

Just my opinion, and I could certainly stand some correction if anything in scripture shows differently, but I look at the nature of Satan and think the second he has his chance (with the Church removed), he will do what it is that he does as he's been longing so long to do, and what we read will follow, as God's will allows.
    Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~ Matthew 6:19-21 ~

We have no idea when the rapture will take place. (No man knows the day or hour) A lot of what we are looking for are the signs that the Bible talks about taking place in the Tribulation. And since we are seeing the very nearness of those events like economic collapse, globalization, pestilence,gog-magog alliances, Isaiah 17 and so much more so my guess is there may be some time that elapses but not much since we can already see the Tribulation on the horizon and we are still here. The tribulation's rider on the white horse is about to ride and we have not yet departed.
    Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

TBRSoon Guest

If you ask me when millions and millions of people disappear that sparks the tribulation. That in itself will be chaos!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBRSoon View Post
    If you ask me when millions and millions of people disappear that sparks the tribulation. That in itself will be chaos!!
    I think the consensous is that the tribulation starts when the AC signs the peace treaty/covenant with Israel. But yes there will be mass chaos when the rapture occurs, no doubt.
    Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

fredberry Guest

While I know what a preterist is I don't know what a 'partial preterist' is. All I do know is that I 'ain't' a preterist in whole or in part.

No, my reference to 'fulfilled prophecies' related to the establishment of Israel in 1948 and the Jews securing Jerusalem in 1967, Daniel 12, the technology alluded to in the scripture, e.g., satellite TV (the two witnesses in Revelation), nuclear war in Zechariah and Ezekiel, etc.; global economic turmoil and the growing apostasy just to name a few.

So let me pose the following question: if the Rapture were to happen tomorrow is there any specific or implied prophetic element that would require more than 7 years to appear? For example, if the Rapture had happened 100 years ago the world would not have been able to produce TV, satellites in space, computers, etc., nor would Russia become a world power in just 7 years. The Tribulation could not have started right after the Rapture because these elements were not there.

But is that true today? I don't know of any but would invite your thoughts on that.

Fred

I've always believed the Rapture will be the starting point for Daniel's One Week {the 7 year tribulation}.

IMO that sequence of events parallels the ancient Jewish Wedding Tradition where the groom takes the bride {rapture} to his father's house {Heaven} where they are together in the bridal chamber for exactly 7 days {marriage of the Church to Christ and the "honeymoon"}. They emerge after 7 days as wedded Bride and Groom {2nd coming of Jesus w/us to Mt of Olives!}.

This is just my suspicion of what will happen .... can't say for certain this is how it will play out.
    Last edited by BarbT; June 7th, 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added sentence about 2nd coming

JESUS is the Light
    of the world

tweety Guest

Fredberry

I see no specific or implied prophetic element or event that would require more than 7 years to appear. The rapture could not happen tomorrow for I do see several events requiring several years for them to appear. One event prophesied cannot be discussed here due to board policy. I do see the third temple completed in a few years and the Ark of the Covenant to reappear. Coming soon is the formation of a 10 Muslim nation confederacy and later three of these nations conquered by another nation not in the confederacy. I see a global economic collapse on the horizon.

I hope my response adequately answers your question.

2ndcoming Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BarbT View Post
    I've always believed the Rapture will be the starting point for Daniel's One Week {the 7 year tribulation}.

IMO that sequence of events parallels the ancient Jewish Wedding Tradition where the groom takes the bride {rapture} to his father's house {Heaven} where they are together in the bridal chamber for exactly 7 days {marriage of the Church to Christ and the "honeymoon"}. They emerge after 7 days as wedded Bride and Groom {2nd coming of Jesus w/us to Mt of Olives!}.

This is just my suspicion of what will happen .... can't say for certain this is how it will play out.
    If rapture coincides with the beginning of the tribulation,then we have a problem here.

We all agree that Daniel last "seven" can only begin with the confirmation of the covenant.And because of the future date of the confirmation of the covenant will be made known to Israel,AC and many nations,after some devastating events like Gog/Magog invasion,to suggest rapture shall fall on "that day",it also implies that we will know the day and hour of the rapture while from scripture we learn that no one knows the day and hour.

So,the idea that rapture will be the starting point of the 7 year tribulation doesn't hold.There will definitely be a gap between the rapture and the 7 years tribulation so that the exact day of the church going home is unknown to us.

An example can be given like this;

CNN breaking new: Peace has finally arrived in the Middle East region.Mr.X shall visit Israel and meet with the Prime Minister Netanyahu.Many nations will attend and witness the covenant being confirmed by Mr.X,and Israel.The day of the signing of the treaty will be on Thursday,xx/xx.

If rapture does take place on the day of the covenant being confirmed,or the day that the treaty signed,I think scripture owes us an apology as we are told that 'that day' is unknown to us.

Or should we re-adjust our thinking that rapture doesn't start the beginning of the tribulation?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndcoming View Post
    If rapture coincides with the beginning of the tribulation,then we have a problem here.

We all agree that Daniel last "seven" can only begin with the confirmation of the covenant.And because of the future date of the confirmation of the covenant will be made known to Israel,AC and many nations,after some devastating events like Gog/Magog invasion,to suggest rapture shall fall on "that day",it also implies that we will know the day and hour of the rapture while from scripture we learn that no one knows the day and hour.

So,the idea that rapture will be the starting point of the 7 year tribulation doesn't hold.There will definitely be a gap between the rapture and the 7 years tribulation so that the exact day of the church going home is unknown to us.

CNN breaking new: Peace has finally arrived in the Middle East region.Mr.X shall visit Israel and meet with the Prime Minister Netanyahu.Many nations will attend and witness the covenant being confirmed by Mr.X,and Israel.The day of the signing of the treaty will be on Thursday,xx/xx.

If rapture does take place on the day of the covenant being confirmed,or the day that the treaty signed,I think scripture owes us an apology as we are told that 'that day' is unknown to us.

Or should we re-adjust our thinking that rapture doesn't start the beginning of the tribulation?

ImOnStandby221 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tweety View Post
    Fredberry

I see no specific or implied prophetic element or event that would require more than 7 years to appear. The rapture could not happen tomorrow for I do see several events requiring several years for them to appear. One event prophesied cannot be discussed here due to board policy. I do see the third temple completed in a few years and the Ark of the Covenant to reappear. Coming soon is the formation of a 10 Muslim nation confederacy and later three of these nations conquered by another nation not in the confederacy. I see a global economic collapse on the horizon.

I hope my response adequately answers your question.
    so you don't believe in the doctrine of imminency? the Rapture really can't happen tomorrow?

I am not in any way knowledgable about these things, but if you take scripture literally, shouldn't Babylon or Iraq be built up a little more for the tribulation to be almost straight away after the rapture?
    “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children.
    Hebrews 12:5,6,7

Quote Originally Posted by lightseeker* View Post
    I am not in any way knowledgable about these things, but if you take scripture literally, shouldn't Babylon or Iraq be built up a little more for the tribulation to be almost straight away after the rapture?
    Babylon will not only be the global capital of the world, it will also be the spiritual capital as we find in Zechariah 5. "Sinar" is another name for the area of Babylon:

Zechariah 5:5-11 Then the angel who talked with me came out and said to me, “Lift your eyes now, and see what this is that goes forth.” So I asked, “What is it?” And he said, “It is a basket that is going forth.” He also said, “This is their resemblance throughout the earth: Here is a lead disc lifted up, and this is a woman sitting inside the basket”; then he said, “This is Wickedness!” And he thrust her down into the basket, and threw the lead cover over its mouth. Then I raised my eyes and looked, and there were two women, coming with the wind in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between earth and heaven. So I said to the angel who talked with me, “Where are they carrying the basket?” And he said to me, “To build a house for it in the land of Shinar when it is ready, the basket will be set there on its base.”

When the "Mystery Babylon" religion rises in the first half of the Tribulation (after the rapture and Gog and Magog War), people from all over the world that get caught up in this religion will no doubt contribute to build a religous center for worship, much like the Vatican, or Mecca, or even Jerusalem in times past when Israel's worship was centered on the Temple. To put it simply, money talks. Time really isn't a factor if there is plenty of money to finance the project and motivated individuals to do the work. Look at the city of Dubai. It was built from virtually nothing within a matter of a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndcoming View Post

OOORRRR MMMAAAYYYBBBBEEEEE.........

that lil' verse that says "If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know" might just have a bit of significance.

was that verse a mistranslation, or one we shouldn't take so litterally?