Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does God want to give us the desires of our hearts?

Jesus's Girl Guest

Question Does God want to give us the desires of our hearts?

Does God want to give us the desires of our hearts? We are in debt and our car is on the verge and needs a lot of work... we have no money. We have lived in apartments since we've been married... (I'm only 24 years old.) I have dreamt of having my own house and a barn with horses... they are my passion, besides God. I have always dreamt of horses of my own. Is God the kind that would make our dreams come true? I am so discouraged that we are stuck in an apartment and we are barely making it from paycheck to paycheck. I hate this. Why would God put a big desire in my heart since childhood and not allow me to live it? I am thankful for what I have. I am struggling. I am discouraged that the next horse I'll ever own is when I'll be in Heaven. What is God's character in this situation? I've been begging Him for a place of my own and a good job for my husband, since I'm the only one working right now to support him, me and my son Noah and our cat. What are some good scriptures about this? What can I do to move closer to my dream?

Jesus's Girl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus's Girl View Post
    Does God want to give us the desires of our hearts? We are in debt and our car is on the verge and needs a lot of work... we have no money. We have lived in apartments since we've been married... (I'm only 24 years old.) I have dreamt of having my own house and a barn with horses... they are my passion, besides God. I have always dreamt of horses of my own. Is God the kind that would make our dreams come true? I am so discouraged that we are stuck in an apartment and we are barely making it from paycheck to paycheck. I hate this. Why would God put a big desire in my heart since childhood and not allow me to live it? I am thankful for what I have. I am struggling. I am discouraged that the next horse I'll ever own is when I'll be in Heaven. What is God's character in this situation? I've been begging Him for a place of my own and a good job for my husband, since I'm the only one working right now to support him, me and my son Noah and our cat. What are some good scriptures about this? What can I do to move closer to my dream?
    Does Psalm 37:4 play a role in this? I've always loved the Lord and I search Him and want to be closer and closer. My greatest desires are seeing the Lord in the Rapture and being with Him, a home of my own for my family and barn and horses of my own. The closer you get to God the more your desires conform to His. These haven't gone away.

I don't know JG.

I know what you mean about being young and having dreams and desires for how you want to live your life. I also had the dream of a little house with some acerage that I could raise some farm animals and have a pony for my kids. Didn't happen. We raised our family in a cramped townhouse with a postage-stamp for a yard.

Now that I'm in my 40's and looking back, I can tell you that Joel Osteen's "God wants you to live your best life now" mantra is a lie. Jesus promised us no such thing. He, the King of the universe, lived a simple life and so did His disciples and apostles. He promised us hardship if we were to follow Him.

Yes, some people do seem to get whatever they want, while others are wanting. I don't pretend to understand it, except that God has His reasons. I can say that even though I didn't get the life I envisioned, and money has always been a hard issue for us, I am rich indeed because God blessed me with wonderful sons, and a husband that still loves me after 27 years. I wouldn't trade what I have now, for the life I thought I wanted.

I'll never forget when I had to tell my young sons that our planned family trip to Disneyland was not going to happen because daddy lost his job. I remember telling them that heaven was so much better than Disneyland, and bless their little hearts, they accepted that, even though it was hard. God was so good though... when they were teenagers and had their own jobs, we finally took that trip and made a wonderful family memory. I'll always be so thankful to the Lord that He allowed us to do that before the boys grew up and left home.

JG I know this is hard, I can honestly tell you that I've "been there, done that" and I remember well what a rough road it was. Pray for acceptance and peace, if it's God's will for you to endure this. He can and will give it to you. One day, if we are still here, you will be me telling another young person about God's amazing riches in the face of impossible obstacles.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

Well, I always had dreams of the kind of place I'd live.

Instead, for a decade, I lived in gang-ridden cracktowns. Even now, I live a few miles from one of the most notorious areas of Houston. I was robbed at the bus stop, about a year and a half ago, right outside the subdivision.

I am losing tiles off the walls of my shower enclosure, but have gotten creative about keeping them propped up.

You would like a car. I would like to be able to drive, period.

What we want, is just that - OUR desires. There's nothing in the Bible promising us everything we want, at least not that I've ever read.

What I read says just the opposite: John 15:18-19 That's Jesus talking.

I mean, I'd just love it if I could give my husband a pat on the back without making him scream in pain. I'd like him to be able to go hiking. I'd like him to read his own labels.

I'd really love to have a good brain, with a good job and the ability to drive. I'm very tired of being crazy, and dealing with the side effects of my medication .

But you know what? That doesn't matter.

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF WE GET OUR THINGS.

What matters, is being obedient to God and willing to do His work.

I mean, really, would you take your horses and the nice place, if you knew because of it 100 people went to hell instead?

We have a better witness, IMO, when we are struggling and suffering, and trusting in Him.

If things are easy, of course we love Him.

We are here to do God's work, not to have an easy life. God has used me, a lot more, with all my flaws, and problems, than He could use someone living in the nice house in the nice subdivision.

He probably would like to use them, but they are very invested in keeping the status quo, not looking like a deranged, homeless, maniac on the corner!

Me? I ask Him to "keep me useful".

Which reminds me, I need to go do my God Time.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

It all goes to 2 Corinthians 12:9 - too.

I hang onto that one.

God's grace, is sufficient for me. I have learned it through many painful days and nights when I couldn't trust anyone, or even my own brain.

When things are bad, I ask Him "Give me the grace, to deal." and He does.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

http://www.gotquestions.org/unanswered-prayer.html

Question: "How should a Christian respond to unanswered prayer?"

Answer:
    How many Christians have prayed for someone, only to see their prayers go unanswered? How many have prayed and perhaps have “given up” because either they have become discouraged through a weakness of faith or have come to the sometimes presumptive conclusion that whatever they have been praying for isn’t God’s will? Nevertheless, how we deal with unanswered prayer is not just for our own benefit but for the benefit of others as well. When we pray, we are engaging in the most precious and God-given act of communication with the One to whom we are accountable in all our affairs. We have been truly bought at a steep price—the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ—and therefore we belong to God.

Our privilege of prayer is from God, and it is as much ours now as when it was given to Israel (Deuteronomy 4:7). Yet, when we pray or speak to the One in Heaven, there are times when He seems not to answer. There can be many reasons for this, and while it is not the intention here to list them all, the Scriptures themselves suggest why and how our prayers are being dealt with by the One who is so tender and loving, who Himself loves our communing with God the Father, for He, Himself, is our representative (Hebrews 4:15).

A primary reason why prayer is unanswered is sin. God cannot be mocked or deceived, and He who sits enthroned above knows us intimately, down to our every thought (Psalm 139:1-4). If we are not walking in the Way or we harbor enmity in our hearts toward our brother or we ask for things with the wrong motives (such as from selfish desires), then we can expect God not to answer our prayer because He does not hear (2 Chronicles 7:14; Deuteronomy 28:23; Psalm 66:18; James 4:3). Sin is the “stopper” to all the potential blessings that we would receive from the infinite “bottle” of God’s mercy! If only we would be more careful to avoid sin, we would be more worthy recipients of all the blessings and foretastes of the glory that is ours in Christ Jesus (Job 11:13-18). Indeed, there are times when our prayers are heinous in the Lord’s sight, most notably when we clearly do not belong to the Lord either because of unbelief (Proverbs 15:8) or because we are practicing hypocrisy (Mark 12:40).

Another reason why prayer seems to go unanswered is that the Lord is drawing out of our faith a deeper reliance and trust in Him, which should bring out of us a deeper sense of gratitude, love and humility. In turn, this causes us to benefit spiritually for He gives grace to the humble (James 4:6; Proverbs 3:34). Oh, how one feels for that poor Canaanite woman, who cried out incessantly to our Lord for mercy when He was visiting the region of Tyre and Sidon (Matthew 15:21-28). She was hardly the person a Jewish rabbi would take note of! She was not a Jew and she was a woman, two legitimate (in their minds) reasons for Jews to ignore her. The Lord doesn’t seem to answer her petitions, but He knew all about her situation. He may not have answered her stated needs immediately, but still He heard and granted her request.

God may often seem silent to us, but He never sends us away empty-handed. Even if prayer has not been answered, we must rely upon God to do so in His own time. Even the exercise of prayer is a blessing to us; it is because of our faith that we are stirred to persist in prayer, and isn’t that a rebuke to all of us? It is faith that pleases God (Hebrews 11:6), and if our prayer life is wanting, does that not reflect our spiritual standing also? God hears our impoverished cries for mercy, and His silence inflames us with a sense of persistence in prayer. He loves us to reason with Him. For example, we do not see many souls saved in this day of “small things,” but only that we would cry out, like Rachel, “Give me children or I die!” (Genesis 30:1). Let us hunger for the things that are after God’s heart and let us walk in His ways and not our own. If we are faithful to pray without ceasing, then we are living in the will of God and that can never be wrong (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18).

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

When we become truly 'delighted' in the Lord, our desires become different. We no longer dwell on the earthly wants, but rather how we can please Him. This, of course, doesn't mean that He won't ever give us some of these earthly desires of our hearts, but they are no longer the focus--He is. We are satisfied and content in Him. The apostle Paul tells us to be content in whatsoever state we are in. Paul learned to be abased and to abound.

You are still quite young, and as you grow in knowledge of God, you will see that 'He' is what your heart desires and yearns for. If the other stuff comes, great. If not, it's okay, too. That is hard for you to hear right now, but it's true.

-Lynn

What are some good scriptures about this?
    Here are some good Scriptures:

4Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.

5Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

11Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
    from Philippians 4

We are not promised wealth. Most married couples in their early 20's where one couple is going to school and have a child do not have extra money for a horse farm. Is it God's will for you to have one now? I don't know. He certainly could make that happen for you in a second.

I would say that by your own admission (in your prayer thread) that you were careless with the credit cards in the past... Sometimes God will let us suffer the consequences of our sin so we will be very sure how much of a pit it is and will be determined not to do it again. At least that's how He's often dealt with me in my own life. Sometimes He bails us out by His mercy, sometimes He lets us walk that difficult road of reaping what we've sown.

I had a life's dream also. It was the fire in my heart. It was so good in every way, I thought, how could God deny the very reason I breathed??

Then God let me know that I loved the dream more than I did Him. As I've grown, I've seen that had I been given that dream when I wanted it, it would have been very detrimental to me. Truly whatever He does is good and wise and for our benefit and not always for our desires on our timetable.

What can I do to move closer to my dream?
    Not sure. I know that your dreams for yourself are not as important to God as His dreams/purpose for you. That's the real question, isn't it?

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
    from Romans 8

Rejoice in the Lord, be content in every situation you are in, as Paul tells us. Trust in His goodness, seek His face and not His hand.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    When we become truly 'delighted' in the Lord, our desires become different. We no longer dwell on the earthly wants, but rather how we can please Him. This, of course, doesn't mean that He won't ever give us some of these earthly desires of our hearts, but they are no longer the focus--He is. We are satisfied and content in Him. The apostle Paul tells us to be content in whatsoever state we are in. Paul learned to be abased and to abound.

You are still quite young, and as you grow in knowledge of God, you will see that 'He' is what your heart desires and yearns for. If the other stuff comes, great. If not, it's okay, too. That is hard for you to hear right now, but it's true.
    Excellent post Lynn

It's so true. When everyone left Jesus in disillusionment (because He wouldn't just keep doing miracles to keep the masses happy) and He was left looking at His disciples, He asked them if they were going to leave Him too. They told him, "where would we go? YOU alone have the Words of Life". It really boils down to that, and it's what separates those who follow Jesus to get something (then get disillusioned and leave), from those who follow Him because He has the Words of Life.. When everything else is stripped away, those of us who are truly His, realise that Jesus is our treasure, and nothing else really matters.
    I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. (Rev. 3:8,10)

I'm a Navy mom.

We must line up our desires with what God wants and everything else (what is best for you and fulfills God's purpose) falls into place, Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

I love the fact that the Lord has given us the abilty to dream. I have always wanted to own a large golf course with hotel, but it has not happen yet. I even went as far as to claim I'd only open it up to Christian Pastors and family. Still no go.

If we want to see our true dreams come true, start dreaming "What or how you can do more for the Lord" It is all about Him not us and once we give up the world and let Him be our Master our dreams will be endless.

How do you know that is what you truely desire?

It's what you think you want, but perhaps He has a better idea of what you truely desire, or need, than you do.

Earthly desires are generally fleeting anyway, they change. I'd imagine He is focused on things that last much longer.

And as a side note, I was born, raised, and currently live on a farm with land, cattle, and horses. We struggle with work and finances. Costs are soaring while revenue fluctuates.
    I accept nothing from man as truth...
    only that, One is the truth. (John 14-6)

Pre-Flood/Pre-Trib (Genesis 5-24)

Default Read "On Prayer" by Andrew Murray

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

The land of Dautches, Buhgies, Faschnachts, and Wilbur Dark Chocolate

God answers every prayer....

Sometimes its: Wait.

Sometimes its: No.

But the answer is always perfect and given in Love. Thank You Jesus.
    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”

Praying
    Tall Timbers

I can i relate .
    Let me say this~
    He may fulfill your hearts desire-only maybe not in the way you expect.
    That's what i experienced .
    Growing up all i wanted was a horse.a ranch.
    Didn't happen.Not in the way i thought.
    Over the yrs I met gals who had horses and let me ride .
    But the best and closest to my dream was when I ranch sat for friends.
    every May for the whole month.I was 'home'!

What may seem like punishment ,may actually be a blessing in disguise.
    6 yrs ago dh and i were finally looking to move up north for ranch/ horses ...when he was diagnosed with cancer.he died a yr later.
    the reasons i 'm glad we hadn't moved are numerous!

Now that dh has been gone 5 yrs -again,at times, I want that 'dream' .

But I try to stay focused on Him and His will for my Life.
    anyway..just wanted to share.

I'm sorry you are discouraged.
    God cares,really.And He has a plan for your life.
    a favorite of mine:
    Psalm 42:11 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

The others shared some wonderful scriptures too.

Philippians 4:11 NIV
    I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
    amen.
    Psalms 62:6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken

A preacher once told me the secrete to getting what you want, is not wanting what you can't have.

I'll tell ya this, I have obtained nearly every thing I ever wanted in this life. And it has cost me 2 back operations.
    So now I got 2 super nice boats, and don't always feel like lugging them around. Let alone driving the things in very rough water.
    Becareful what you ask for. (I know that's old, but it still applies)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    We must line up our desires with what God wants and everything else (what is best for you and fulfills God's purpose) falls into place, Matthew 5:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
    Did you mean Matthew 6:33? If so, that's the one that helps me make it through when I lament that at age 45, I've never been married, I will never have birth kids, and the house and dog and cats I desperately want is as out of reach as ever. I don't even have peace in the home I live in now. I see other people who seem to have it so easy, and I've always had it tough but I have to accept that the hand I was dealt is the one I have to play. And then I remember that God Himself died painfully so that I might be free and have everlasting life. And that He must love me, despite superficial appearances (severe lack of material things), because He died for me, and the Father let the Son die for me.

If I could have it all, including Jesus Christ, I would, but having nothing teaches me what's really important. And it's not things.
    Last edited by ComeLordJesus; June 13th, 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added: "seem to"

Well, CLJ, I was talking to a coworker. He asked me how I'd been the last week, and I was listening to myself speak - it sounded absolutely horrible.

It was...

Anyway, I told him, "God's strength is made perfect in weakness, so He must really be strong in me!" (2 Corinthians 12:9 )

I have concluded that people who appear to have an easy life, don't. I remember when I was going to al-anon meetings, and all these women were there, from the affluent neighborhoods, designer clothes and cars, didn't HAVE to work, wearing enough jewelry to pay off my mortgage, and they were so profoundly unhappy. From the outside, they looked like they had perfect lives, but they didn't.

Every blessing has it's problems. Take a house - sounds fun. Then you look at the fact that we are paying mortgage, regular insurance, flood insurance, and everything in the world is taxing us... too.

Oh, and we're on the hook for ALL repairs. We can't call the landlord!

I always tell my husband (especially as I battle depression), this "life" is so short, and fleeting in the big eternal scheme. One day we'll look back at all the pain and go "Oh, that was pretty awful, but who cares? We're in heaven for eternity!"

The way things are going, I'm even getting better about picking up my house so the post rapture visitors will be able to find things!

I get my Bibles here

Quote Originally Posted by Acts5:41 View Post
    Well, CLJ, I was talking to a coworker. He asked me how I'd been the last week, and I was listening to myself speak - it sounded absolutely horrible.

It was...

Anyway, I told him, "God's strength is made perfect in weakness, so He must really be strong in me!" (2 Corinthians 12:9 )

I have concluded that people who appear to have an easy life, don't. I remember when I was going to al-anon meetings, and all these women were there, from the affluent neighborhoods, designer clothes and cars, didn't HAVE to work, wearing enough jewelry to pay off my mortgage, and they were so profoundly unhappy. From the outside, they looked like they had perfect lives, but they didn't.

Every blessing has it's problems. Take a house - sounds fun. Then you look at the fact that we are paying mortgage, regular insurance, flood insurance, and everything in the world is taxing us... too.

Oh, and we're on the hook for ALL repairs. We can't call the landlord!

I always tell my husband (especially as I battle depression), this "life" is so short, and fleeting in the big eternal scheme. One day we'll look back at all the pain and go "Oh, that was pretty awful, but who cares? We're in heaven for eternity!"

The way things are going, I'm even getting better about picking up my house so the post rapture visitors will be able to find things!
    Yes, you are right about appearances. My cousin is a pharmacist, has a McMansion, a husband, two small kids, and a better relationship with my mother than I do.

However, she also quit her job for one which doesn't pay as much because her baby liked the babysitter better than her. Her older DD is more than a handful. Her grandma (my aunt) just came back from Dallas this afternoon, saying the granddaughter was too mouthy and too much of a handful. She said Dear Little Cousin's mouth will get her in trouble. I know that child. God did right not giving her to me because I'd be in jail by now. I dreamed of kids but honestly I wouldn't have enjoyed it in the long haul. I know her parents have problems with her everyday too. She's VERY smart and at 5 yo has a tendency to talk to other people like they're stupid. But she's not spoiled otherwise because her parents don't baby her.

So yes, the grass might be greener in someone else's yard, but that doesn't mean they don't have fire ants and chiggers.

Thanks for pointing that out.

And I do that too, remind myself that from the perspective of eternity, the hardships of this life are fleeting.

JG, I'll have to look it up, but I think it's when you ask according to His Will. And God knows how to give good gifts when we do so.