Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there 2 gospels?

Default Are there 2 gospels?

Some say there are 2 gospels. One was given to Peter before Jesus ascended and Peter preached that gospel in Acts 2.

The other was given to Paul and He preached it later in the book of Acts.

Is the gospel Peter preached different from what Paul preached?

Reconcile the fact that both preached to Jews and Gentiles.

Please show bible proof of this claim.

What is different from what Peter preached compared to what Paul preached?

Saved by Grace_06 Guest

There's only one true Gospel. All the apostles preached the same message (gospel).

Quote Originally Posted by blessedinhim View Post
    Some say there are 2 gospels. One was given to Peter before Jesus ascended and Peter preached that gospel in Acts 2.

Please list the differences between Paul's & Peter's gospels (cite the verses)

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

I do not believe that there are 2 gospels.

Where are those that say there are 2 gospels? Show me, please! with scripture.

LaMontre Guest

The question has to be whether or not those who heard Peter became a part of the same group as them that heard Paul. In the end, that is really all that matters. And the answer to that question is a resounding biblical "yes indeed they did!"

In order to make their case the opposition must first of all show (somehow) that those saved in the book of Acts (during that particular time period) are somehow not members of the body of Christ. And then it must be defined just what exactly they belong to.

It can be clearly shown that Paul believed that even those believers coverted prior to his own conversion, whom he percecuted, were members of the body of Christ.

1Co 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Gal 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

There is no indication (except for that which might be imagined) that Paul thought of the Church, or the gospel, as ever having been divided in any way, either before or after his conversion, much less anytime after that.

Jesus also agreed:
    Act 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
    Act 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

And so the obvious indication is that Paul believed both Jews and Gentiles were always preached one gospel:
    Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

This would obviously be the same gospel Paul preached throughout his ministry. As here:
    Act 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

And again here:
    Act 28:25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
    Act 28:26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
    Act 28:27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
    Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

That they will hear "what"?? The same gospel he was preaching to the Jews obviuosly; the same as was to be preached to the gentiles.

And this is the same application which Jesus used for this prophecy when his supposed "other (kingdom) gospel" was being preached as well.

And what is also very telling to me, is that the first gentile conversion ever recorded in the bible, was upon the these words:
    Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
    Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
    Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

This is without doubt the same message of salvation which was preached in Acts 2. As Peter had not changed his tac one wit.

tom_roberts Guest

''(cite the verses)''

I agree

Where are those that say there are 2 gospels? Show me, please! with scripture.
    Peter preached primarily to the Jews but also to Gentiles.
    And Paul preached to Gentiles but also to Jews

Paul had problems with Peter trying to keep some of the Jewish laws, such as abstaining from certain foods and not associating with Gentiles, and Paul rebuked him for it. Galatians 2

But they both preached the same Gospel,

Jesus' death, burial, resurrection:
    Peter: Acts 2:36, Acts 4:10, 1 Peter 1:19
    Paul: 1 Cor 15:1-4, Rom 6:1-5, etc

Grace/Mercy:
    Peter: 1 Pet1:3, 2:10
    Paul: Eph 2:8, Rom 9:16,18, etc

Repentance:
    Peter: Acts 2:38, 2 Pet 3:9
    Paul: Acts 17:30, 20:21, 2Tim 2:25

Faith:
    Peter: Acts 3:16, 1Pet 1:5,9 2 Pet 1:1
    Paul: Acts 16:31, Rom 3:22,25,etc

The Kingdom
    Peter: This heaven and earth as we know it is going to be burned up, and
    God will create a new world. (2 Pet 3:10)
    Paul: Our citizenship is in Heaven (Philippians 3:20)

Our Conduct
    Peter: "...holy behavior.." (2 Pet 3:11) Live/be holy (1 Pet 1:13-17)
    Paul: lay aside the flesh, pursue Godliness (Rom 12:1-2, Philippians 2, Col 3, etc)

Some protestants when discrediting Peter to Catholics to show he was not the first Pope use the 2 gospel theory, maybe that is why they are claiming Peter preached a different Gospel.
    It does show that Peter had to be corrected for his actions, but not for what he preached.
    I don't believe the first pope was until 300+ A.D. so I don't believe the first pope could be Peter anyway.
    Last edited by Buzzardhut; October 4th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Bullingerism

So this is where they get it!!!

Mentat Guest

God's Trombone will tell you all about the 2 gospels....Go to the Pauline Dispensationalism thread.

I agee with Buzzardhut. It's taking a presupposition and bending scripture to get to the 2 gospel view.

yes, he has posted a lot about it, if you look, I have posted as much against it. He didnt answer my last question and it has kinda gotten into a 2 subject thread. So, I started this thread. I agree with buzzardhut, as well.

Buzzardhut: Some protestants when discrediting Peter to Catholics to show he was not the first Pope use the 2 gospel theory, maybe that is why they are claiming Peter preached a different Gospel.
    It does show that Peter had to be corrected for his actions, but not for what he preached.
    I don't believe the first pope was until 300+ A.D. so I don't believe the first pope could be Peter anyway.
    they take the scripture about on this rock I will build my church, thinking Jesus was talking about Peter, but actually Jesus was talking about what Peter said. What Peter said to the question Jesus asked is the Rock.

Mentat Guest

They take the scripture about on this rock I will build my church, thinking Jesus was talking about Peter, but actually Jesus was talking about what Peter said. What Peter said to the question Jesus asked is the Rock.
    Amen

LaMontre Guest

Bullingerism

So this is where they get it!!!

Yes he is the father of this mess. But many believe he is just taking plain ol' dispensational doctrine to it's logical conclusion.
    Last edited by Buzzardhut; October 10th, 2007 at 05:20 AM.

Thank you LaMontre.

Les Feldick does not preach two gospels, he explains, the difference in why John the Baptist and Jesus proclaimed the Kingdom to the Jew's. There is a difference between the Jewish and Gentile audiences, which is important. Jesus did offer the Jew's the Kingdom, the Jew's declined for a reason, which was to bring the Gentiles into the promise of salvation, like the OT Prophets foretold. Covenant and progressive theology have thier own set of problems, not just the hyper dipsy's.

http://www.lesfeldick.org/
    Last edited by Lexie; October 5th, 2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Not two Gospels so much as two 'flavors' of the same Gospel.

LaMontre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lexie View Post
    Les Feldick does not preach two gospels, he explains, the difference in why John the Baptist and Jesus proclaimed the Kingdom to the Jew's. There is a difference between the Jewish and Gentile audiences, which is important. Jesus did offer the Jew's the Kingdom, the Jew's decined for a reason, which in bringing in the Gentiles into the promise of salvation, like the OT Prophets foretold. Covenant and progressive theology have thier own set of problems, not just the hyper dipsy's.

http://www.lesfeldick.org/
    Covenant theology simply wont stand up in several areas. (Kinda like a tent with several poles missing IMO).

But I agree, every systematic theology carries with it inherent problems. It just seems that dispensationalism is the only one that has had it's problems utilized in such a way as to create these odd extreme hybrids.

It needs to be addressed, but it seems that there are not many from the more moderate dispensational camps that are willing to condemn it.

Where are you on the extreme/conservative dispensational spectrum?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMontre View Post
    Covenant theology simply wont stand up in several areas. (Kinda like a tent with several poles missing IMO).

But I agree, every systematic theology carries with it inherent problems. It just seems that dispensationalism is the only one that has had it's problems utilized in such a way as to create these odd extreme hybrids.

It needs to be addressed, but it seems that there are not many from the more moderate dispensational camps that are willing to condemn it.

Where are you on the extreme/conservative dispensational spectrum?
    LaMontre

Yes, let me know which parts are causing the problems. I believe the Church, was born on Pentecost, I guess that makes me a regular dipsy. I do not believe you have to be baptized, in water, for salvation, the baptism of the Holy Sprit is what is important, we can be baptized in water, as an outward expression, of what happened to us inside. I don't agree with everything Les teaches, but he is right up there with, the best of them imo.
    Last edited by Lexie; October 5th, 2007 at 03:47 PM.

I am being told that there are 2 different gospels.
    One given to Peter and one given to Paul. What is that about? They both
    baptized, they both were baptized, and they both preached to Jews and
    Gentiles.

Answered By: Darin

Answer: Thank you for taking the time to submit your question. It is
    an honor and a privilege to be able answer your question. I hope this
    short response will do just that.

The short answer to your question is this: No, the Gospel is the same
    preached by all the apostles and all the early Christians. There is no
    difference between the writings of Paul and the writings of Peter. In
    fact, notice Peter's words in his last letter:

2 Peter 3:15-16 "And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just
    as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom
    given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of
    these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to
    understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as
    they do the other Scriptures."

Peter here affirms Paul's Gospel. There is nothing here to suggest
    that Paul and Peter would disagree, even though we know that Paul did
    confront Peter about his dealings with the Gentiles (Galatians 2). Paul
    was converted through the same Gospel that Peter preached, Stephen
    preached, and other key early Christian members.

What is the Gospel? A quick summary is found in 1 Cor. 15:1-6. Please
    look at this short outline for more details:

1. Greek - Is derived from the Greek word euaggelion, which is where we
    get the word "evangel"
    a. Thayer - "The proclamation of the grace of God manifest and pledged
    in Christ
    b. Mark 1:1 - The opening line uses the word for Gospel, and therefore
    shows that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah and the Son of God
    i. Jewish Messiah
    1. Genesis 12:3 - Fulfills the promises of Abraham.
    2. Genesis 49:10 - The Messiah would come from the line of Judah, and
    Jesus did.
    3. From the lineage of David (2 Sam. 7:14; Jeremiah 23:5)
    ii. Son of God
    1. Psalm 110:1 - Most often used verse by the New Testament writers to
    communicate the Sonship of Jesus
    2. Matthew 22:42-45 - Jesus quoted Psalm 110 to refute the Pharisees
    about the authority by which he did his work.
    3. Acts 2:34-36 - Peter preached on Pentecost that Jesus is both "Lord
    and Christ."

2. Resurrection - The resurrection is mentioned 19 times in the book of
    Acts (1:22, 2:24, 31-32, 3:26, 4:2, 10, 33, 5:30, 10:40, 13:22, 30-37,
    17:18, 32, 23:6, 26:23).
    a. Acts 2:32-38 - The fact of the bodily resurrection was the reason
    that Paul told the hearers to repent.
    b. 1 Cor. 15:1-4 - The Gospel includes the death, burial, AND
    resurrection of Jesus Christ.
    c. 1 Cor. 15:14, 17 - Our faith is worthless / in vain, our preaching
    is futile, and we are still in our sins if the resurrection is not true.
    d. Romans 10:9 - Jesus as Lord and His resurrection are both parts of
    the Gospel message.
    e. Acts 17:32 - People sneered at Paul's resurrection of the Gospel,
    but it did not invalidate message, for the cross and its message
    foolishness to those who are perishing (1 Cor. 1:18).

3. Christ's Substitutionary Death - Jesus had no sin (1 Peter 2:22; 1
    John 3:5; 2 Cor. 5:21; Hebrews 4:15, etc.) and thus could be a perfect
    sacrifice to satisfy God the Father.
    a. 1 Peter 3:18 - Jesus died for our sins even we didn't deserve
    ANYTHING!
    b. The penalty of sin is physical and spiritual death (Romans 6:23) and
    separation away from God forever (2 Thess. 1:9; Acts 17:30-31).
    c. Justification - We are made righteous in the sight of God by our
    faith, not our works (Romans 5:1-9; Eph. 2:8-9).
    d. The wrath and the love of God must be simultaneous in the Gospel
    message-God is equally both (John 3:16-20, 36; Romans 1:18-20).

Default A Different Gospel?

Within the past few days I received what is essentially the same question from four different people, each unknown to the other as far as I can tell. I had received variations on this question a couple of times in the past, but to read four eMails that were so similar in nature almost one after the other aroused my interest. I decided that maybe the Lord was trying to give me the theme for my feature study this week.
    http://www.gracethrufaith.com/selah/...fferent-gospel

Hmmm....All generated by this thread no doubt!!