Thread: Favorite Church meals

Default Favorite Church meals

Last Wednesday night we had a fellowship committee meeting to discuss who would cook our meals on Wednesday nights. We first talked about using a cater then because I felt led by God to do this I said I would. Long story short they voted & for me to do the cooking on Wednesday nights. The only meals I would not cook are those for the big church holiday meals & any potlucks. What are some of your favorite meals at church & what are some that are not your favorite? Just trying to come up with some menu ideas other the ones that I submitted to the committee.
    I have my HOPE in JESUS because HE made a CHANGE in me.

I am not sure how many people you are cooking for and what is the purpose of the meal. I hope I do not sound abrupt, I just hoped to get some clarification.

Is it casual or formal? Do you want suggestions or recipes?

How about lasagne and caesar salad? Beef stew and crusty bread. Spaghetti and a bagette? Chicken parmesan, Shake and Bake chicken.

God bless you as you take on this responsibility.

these meals are informal & causal buffet type meals. Its another way for our church family to really get to know one another befoore prayer meetings, child & youth acttivities. Just looking for meal suggestions, I work as a school cook & grew up in a large family (I'm one of six kids) on a farm. So cooking for a large number of people is not a problem for me.
    I have my HOPE in JESUS because HE made a CHANGE in me.

how about chicken fajitas..

I make a scrambled egg casserole that everybody likes with vegies and some kind of meat.. ham bacon sausage or chicken..

chicken paprika is good served with macaroni..

sweet and sour pork on rice...

one of my family's favorites is a chicken and rice bake thats super easy called forgot chicken (with rice onion soup mix and mushrooms)

beef creole... yum!

if any of these sound good to you.. I have recipes I can give you.

I think pasta dishes are always great, and they are easy to make Spaghetti Carbonara is one of my personal favourites. Lasagna is yummy too!
    I was going to be a Calvinist, but it just wasn't meant to be!

Well, being that it's summer, you could do something as simple as sandwiches (make-your-own) with individual bags of chips and fresh summer fruits (watermelon, canteloupe, etc.), and pre-wrapped snack cakes or other little desserts that are easily made or bought, like two-bite brownies. Invite people to bring something to contribute and help you if they feel led.

Hot dogs/hamburgers, cole slaw, baked beans, and chips are always a favorite. Enlist some guys who love to grill.

If you have people who have gardens, they will probably have a surplus of home-grown goodies soon. Have a veggie night and get contributions of fresh garden goods from people.

In the fall/winter months, soup and cornbread is hearty, warm, and filling. Chili, soupbeans, oyster stew, spaghetti, lasagna with fixins are great too. Around New Year's, you can have blackeyed peas, collard greens, ham, and cornbread (a New Year's tradition in the South). Beef stew and shepherd's pie are also great in the wintertime. Any of these things can be Crock-Potted ahead of time and the smell of them as one comes into the Fellowship Hall will have mouths watering.

We have several guys who do the cooking on Wednesday nights. They love to cook and to grill (what guy doesn't?), and they cook things like fried chicken and pork chops, and they are excellent biscuit makers as well. See if some of the men in your church would like to help you out. Sometimes guys love to show off their cooking skills too, but they don't always have the chance, as cooking is largely left to the womenfolk.

If you're concerned about how much time it would take to make some of these things, you can always pre-make/pre-cook some things, like biscuits (which can be frozen), and ground beef (which can be pre-browned and frozen).

Sometimes, for large church events (like our Fifth Sunday dinners), we buy food items from local businesses to supplement what we make. We get chicken tenders and Zak Sauce from Zaxby's, cole slaw, baked beans, and barbecue from a local barbecue joint. These are easy to re-heat if needed, and often come in their own large aluminum containers.

Taco casserole is always an easy make, although you'd have to multiply the ground beef/taco seasoning mix, but all you do is put a layer of tortilla chips in the bottom of a casserole dish (imagine one of those large aluminum pans, though), put a layer of seasoned taco meat on top of that, and then a layer of shredded cheese. Keep layering until the dish is full -- chips, meat, cheese -- and end off with the layer of cheese at the top. Bake it at 350 or so until the cheese is melted, serve with a salad.

Macaroni and cheese (depending on the recipe) can be easy, too.

If your church doesn't mind you taking a shortcut now and then, you could sometimes order pizzas and breadsticks, and make a salad to go with.
    "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Beans. Lots of Beans...

Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp for Moab, and mine inward parts for Kirharesh.
    (Isa 16:11)
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    Beans. Lots of Beans...

Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp for Moab, and mine inward parts for Kirharesh.
    (Isa 16:11)
    Yeah, I suspect it would be less like a harp and more like a foghorn!! I just hope there are no open flames nearby!!
    "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Quote Originally Posted by Musician in His house View Post
    Yeah, I suspect it would be less like a harp and more like a foghorn!! I just hope there are no open flames nearby!!
    Shofar, sho good...
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Check out some of those Duggar family favorites. They are easy, fast, and intended to feed many. They looked pretty hardy also!

We have fellowship dinners on Wed. nights, where several of us take turns preparing and furnishing the meal. We try to keep it simple. For example, on my turn one Wed, prepared a simple potato soup, with crumbled bacon & shredded cheese on the side, rolls, and a bread pudding for dessert.
    Another time, it was spaghetti/salad/garlic toast and fruit. I would just keep it simple, remembering that the purpose is for everyone to share a meal together in Christian love, regardless of what that meal is.
    Come Lord Jesus and bring us home soon!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast."
    Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV

I may not be perfect, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!