Thread: "God gave them over to a reprobate mind"

Question "God gave them over to a reprobate mind"

To me, this has always been one of the saddest subjects I find in the Bible.

Romans, chapter 1...

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
    The passage begins talking about homosexuality and then verses 29-31 describe the character of those that Paul is addressing.

My questions are:

Do those characteristics apply ONLY to homosexuality?
    Or do those characteristics apply ALSO to those who aren't involved in sexual perversion, but non-Christians, or even Christians, who turn their backs on God?
    If you know someone, who distinctly possesses those characteristics, is it correct to think that God has "given them over"?
    How do you pray for such a one?

"God giving someone over". Is it as if God says, "Ok, you want to go that way? I'm letting go of you."

Over 30 years ago, when God converted me, getting me out of the Occult, I distinctly remember that, on several occasions, I felt as if the Holy Spirit was pulling Himself away from me. That He was removing His protective hand. It was terrifying. I, obviously, wasn't a Christian at the time. Alot of those characteristics, listed in the verses, applied to me. I fit the bill, so-to-speak.

Pardon if this subject as already been addressed. I'd appreciate the link if it has. You guys sure are good to the rest of us!

Questions, questions.....

"A double minded man
    is unstable in all his ways."

James 1:8

One key to this is to keep reading in Romans, and remember that chapter breaks were added later.

Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

In context, these passage have always backed up the "there is none righteous, no not one" passages, esp. Romans chapter 3. Romans of course goes on to teach how the law winds up condemning everyone, and only faith can save. I don't think it is a matter of picking and choosing sin and a particular type of unrighteousness, it is making it clear that we are all unrighteous and without hope, save through Jesus. God "strives" with man through the Holy Spirit, and scripture suggests He only tolerates it so long. But of course, only God knows that limit, and only He knows when and if He'll remove the nudges of the Holy Spirit from an unbeliever...

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    To me, this has always been one of the saddest subjects I find in the Bible.

The passage begins talking about homosexuality and then verses 29-31 describe the character of those that Paul is addressing.

My questions are:

Do those characteristics apply ONLY to homosexuality?
    Or do those characteristics apply ALSO to those who aren't involved in sexual perversion, but non-Christians, or even Christians, who turn their backs on God?
    If you know someone, who distinctly possesses those characteristics, is it correct to think that God has "given them over"?
    How do you pray for such a one?

"God giving someone over". Is it as if God says, "Ok, you want to go that way? I'm letting go of you."
    Anyone rejecting truth gets a reprobated mind in return.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    Anyone rejecting truth gets a reprobated mind in return.
    Id word that differently.

They dont 'get' a reprobate mind. The one they already have is allowed to reach its unrestrained extreme.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmon View Post
    Id word that differently.

They dont 'get' a reprobate mind. The one they already have is allowed to reach its unrestrained extreme.
    A slippery slope into hardness of heart and dementia where right is wrong and wrong is right.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    A slippery slope into hardness of heart and dementia where right is wrong and wrong is right.
    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
    (Psa 19:1b-2)