Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Touch Magazine Of Charles Stanley Promoting Contemplative New Monasticism?

Quote Originally Posted by smithg View Post
    But what about what he said about contemplative prayer? It seems like the thing thats wrong with it (from what I've read) is that it comes from a Catholic tradition, and that it's unbiblical. He addresses both of those complaints with scripture to back it up. What's wrong with his reasoning?

I have no desire to defend or endorse practices which are against the will of God, and want to be extremely cautious about what teachings I follow. That said, it seems like all the charges against this are by association. Ive seen very little in the way of scriptural arguments, especially constrasting a particular teaching or idea on one hand and a countering passage of scripture on the other. It seems because words like 'meditation' and 'mystical' are often associated with false religions, that when used to describe the contemplation of the glories of God they must be heretical. Similarly, because some of these ideas have been adopted by churches/teachers that do not have sound doctrine in other areas, that it must be bad.

I want to be clear that my defense of this practice is not a sure one, I just haven't seen much convincing evidence that meditating on God through prayer is bad. I find myself just natuarlly meditating on scripture all the time, and it can be sort of a form of prayer. Numerous times I've paused after seeing something beautiful in His creation, or after reading some amazing bit of scripture, and meditated on it - and often spoke out to God in prayer at those moments. This seems like exactly what is being described here.

I'm a new believer, so I would love some Godly wisdom on this topic. It troubles me as I have respect for those on this forum (which seem to largely support these articles against contemplative prayer and pastors like John Piper), and I also have respect for pastor's like John Piper.
    Here is the difficulty, one man's mysticism and meditation is another man's orthodoxy. Subjective anything makes the experience the arbitrator of correctness. The contemplative of romanism differs little from "puritan" contemplative practice ultimately. It is still experience based and there is no set in stone guide to what crosses the line.

Besides a person given to contemplative are likely going to be a proponent of the other disciplines. All those are fruit of the same diseased tree. For Mr. Piper to say his contemplative views differ from the roman dark ages is semantics and packaging IMO.
    There is One King, and He is not this guy.

A beloved Bible teacher in the crosshairs. This is about the last thing anyone wanted to deal with, right? I know I don't. I really like Charles Stanley. But this isn't the first time there's been a question about what he's allowing in his 'In Touch' magazine.

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1244...harles+Stanley

What shameful thing did Ken Silva do? The article is in the magazine. Would we rather that things like this weren't addressed?

*sigh* I'm so weary of it all. Seems there's an issue around every corner. Why can't the Bible teachers just teach the Bible, nothing more, nothing less. (I know, I know. There's an enemy at large on Planet Earth.)

I did take time to check out that Bible discernment site (from post #4). It does have a lot to say about Dr. Stanley. But it has a lot to say about many other teachers too. Seems no one passes the test on that site.

Curious, and to be current, I tried tuning into the latest In Touch sermon on t.v. last week, but Dr. Stanley wasn't preaching. I'm going to keep trying.

Twinkle, I also noticed that Biblical Discernment Ministries has many people listed, but unless I missed seeing them, not all the questionable pastors, teachers and prophets that are abounding in the church lately.

I don't understand why the issue of Dr. Stanley's divorce (I wasn't aware of it until relatively recently) and his decision to continue preaching didn't get as much heat in Christian circles as John Hagee's. Dr. Stanley really should have stepped down from the pulpit. There are other ways he could have effectively served the Lord in obedience to His Word.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    A beloved Bible teacher in the crosshairs. This is about the last thing anyone wanted to deal with, right? I know I don't. I really like Charles Stanley. But this isn't the first time there's been a question about what he's allowing in his 'In Touch' magazine.

What shameful thing did Ken Silva do? The article is in the magazine. Would we rather that things like this weren't addressed?

*sigh* I'm so weary of it all. Seems there's an issue around every corner. Why can't the Bible teachers just teach the Bible, nothing more, nothing less. (I know, I know. There's an enemy at large on Planet Earth.)

I did take time to check out that Bible discernment site (from post #4). It does have a lot to say about Dr. Stanley. But it has a lot to say about many other teachers too. Seems no one passes the test on that site.
    What we have here is a problem with an article in the magazine. The article was not written by Charles Stanley. I also don't believe that Stanley is the editor. Yet what has the discussion become? Is Charles Stanley promoting mysticism.

Yet anyone that has actually heard Stanley knows he is an incredible teacher and preacher. I am not saying he is infallible, but he has never supported the issue Ken Silva was so happy to point out his magazine promotes.

Shame on Ken Silva, I say that because what he did is a dirty journalism trick. The only reason I saw this thread is because I saw Stanley mentioned in apostasy of all places. Why not call out the author. So and So wrote an article in In Touch magazine promoting blah blah blah. Obviously because that wouldn't be an attention grabber.

The sad thing is there might be people who avoid Stanley because of the connection this article made in their minds. They would be missing out on an incredible fundamental preacher. That is why I said and Ill say again

Shame on Ken Silva. Next time you mention Charles Stanley make sure it is for something he said himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    The intentional use of the word "Craft" sets off red flags for me.

A tradesman (craftsman) has a craft in the worldly or physical sense, but using "craft" in a "spiritual" sense immediately brings to mind such things as "witchcraft" or "priest craft".
    Such "spiritual craft" denies the Gospel.
    Good point.

Reminds us of what the AC will be like:

Daniel 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

"A double minded man
    is unstable in all his ways."

James 1:8

I don't have much time right now, but I was curious, does anyone know if Dr. Stanley has made a statement regarding the article in question? The article appeared in Jan. of 2011. Plenty of time to come out against it having appeared in the magazine.

I quickly checked the In Touch website and didn't see anything but I could have easily missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by injeralover View Post
    Looks like everybody is an apostate now, oh my.
    yes, Jesus said this would happen.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post

The same thing has happened to Billy Graham. People love to bring others down!

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by turalura View Post
    The same thing has happened to Billy Graham. People love to bring others down!
    Are you saying we should wink at apostasy and give Christian leaders a free pass just because they have a big name?
    What are we to do when a prominent ministry allows/promotes apostasy?
    Should we warn the sheep or just pretend it is not happening?

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzardhut View Post
    Are you saying we should wink at apostasy and give Christian leaders a free pass just because they have a big name?
    What are we to do when a prominent ministry allows/promotes apostasy?
    Should we warn the sheep or just pretend it is not happening?
    Goodness, no. I think you misread my post. I was saying that there are people out there ready to attack true Christians, big name or other, with statements that are not true but just to slander. It is evil. Christians are persecuted in various ways and it is easy to bring forth a charge of apostasy. I think we have to be very careful about the source.

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Out of the mountains and into the Piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by turalura View Post
    ... a charge of apostasy. I think we have to be very careful about the source.
    Once a charge is made, the truth of the matter should be easily discernible and if the charge is false it should be proven so, and if true, brought to light.

Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Once a charge is made, the truth of the matter should be easily discernible and if the charge is false it should be proven so, and if true, brought to light.
    We are to prove all things & these are scriptures to back that up in II Timothy 4:1-8
    John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
    19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christís have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

The January 2011 article called ďThe Craft of Stability: Discovering the Ancient Art of Staying PutĒ written by Cameron Lawrence

Why isn't the title of Ken Silva's article

Cameron Lawerence, writer for in touch magazine promotes blah blah blah

or

Cameron Lawerence of in touch magazine

or

Cameron Lawerence promotes mystism.

I am still waiting for anyone to provide some evidence of Charles Stanley's rapid decent into the depths of mystism. I am more than willing to consider any material that is directly attributed to Stanley.

I guess an article on apprising ministries titled... Cameron Lawrence writes article promoting mystism doesn't get the amount of hits as Charles Stanley the Apostate does

Quote Originally Posted by JFrancisco View Post
    The January 2011 article ....
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    I've had a chance to catch some of Dr. Stanley in the recent past and have found him to be sound. (My samplings are not exhaustive by any means.)

Even the best tended garden gets a weed or two. Perhaps Dr. S does not edit his magazine?

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

The January 2011 article called “The Craft of Stability: Discovering the Ancient Art of Staying Put” written by Cameron Lawrence
    Ken Silva does not run this board, posters make the titles to their threads. The thread is aptly titled, it asks the exact question at hand, it is Mr. Stanley's magazine, and does it promote this or not?

I will say this, if Dr. Stanley does not realize what is promoted on his own sites, bearing the name of his own ministry, one he claims as his own, then he better learn right quick. This current world is rather strange to me, men starting up these behemoth ministries. Problem is, it is associated with them personally, no matter how big it gets, they are responsible for what is officially promoted, it is their baby. An unfortunate truth for someone in ministry, I don't think the Lord cares, they've taken it on, diligently keep watch over it. One way for that to happen is that people point out the issues. The real deal to me is whether Dr. Stanley takes appropriate action. Many grow to love certain ministries, but these issues are well above any man. Even Paul himself put himself under a curse if he veered from the message he was given by Christ. It is that serious, and it has nothing to do with the man himself, it is God's message. I'm sure Mr. Stanley would affirm these things.

These ministries that are watching these men do a valuable service, it is needed today, one look at the state of what is being taught out there proves it to me. Sometimes it seems harsh or unseemly, not in keeping with "unity", but if that were the overriding criteria, we'd all be universalists eventually. Mr. Silva is just a man, like the others. I don't read much by him, his writing is not my style, but the subject matter is something we should not ignore. The Bride is suppose to help keep all of our feet to the fire, we work as a body.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Quote Originally Posted by HeIsEnough View Post
    Ken Silva does not run this board, posters make the titles to their threads. The thread is aptly titled, it asks the exact question at hand, it is Mr. Stanley's magazine, and does it promote this or not?

I will say this, if Dr. Stanley does not realize what is promoted on his own sites, bearing the name of his own ministry, one he claims as his own, then he better learn right quick. This current world is rather strange to me, men starting up these behemoth ministries. Problem is, it is associated with them personally, no matter how big it gets, they are responsible for what is officially promoted, it is their baby. An unfortunate truth for someone in ministry, I don't think the Lord cares, they've taken it on, diligently keep watch over it. One way for that to happen is that people point out the issues. The real deal to me is whether Dr. Stanley takes appropriate action. Many grow to love certain ministries, but these issues are well above any man. Even Paul himself put himself under a curse if he veered from the message he was given by Christ. It is that serious, and it has nothing to do with the man himself, it is God's message. I'm sure Mr. Stanley would affirm these things.

These ministries that are watching these men do a valuable service, it is needed today, one look at the state of what is being taught out there proves it to me. Sometimes it seems harsh or unseemly, not in keeping with "unity", but if that were the overriding criteria, we'd all be universalists eventually. Mr. Silva is just a man, like the others. I don't read much by him, his writing is not my style, but the subject matter is something we should not ignore. The Bride is suppose to help keep all of our feet to the fire, we work as a body.
    That is the title of Ken Silva's article. If you click on the link provided it will take you to the article which is named exactly the same as the thread title.

Pastor Stanley has a large ministry and therefore he has appointed people to different responsibilities. This is biblical and you can trace it all the way back to Moses. Does In Touch magazine have an editor? Yes. The editors job is to oversee the articles that are in the magazine. Stanley has to trust this person to make the correct decisions.

I don't have a problem with discernment ministries. I have a problem with deceptive tactics especially when they affect a good teacher in an era of terrible theology. Why didn't Ken Silva name the writer of the article. The editor of the magazine. If you google in touch and contemplative it has spread like wildfire. Charles Stanley's name is assosiated with it.

In this thread we have seen people questioning Stanley all of a sudden. His sermons are biblical and he is fundamental. This article has done damage and I believe it is completely irresponsible.

Again I actually believe that what sites like apprising does is biblical and you will not hear complaints from me. Again the name of this article should have put blame where it belongs, on the individual.

That is the title of Ken Silva's article. If you click on the link provided it will take you to the article which is named exactly the same as the thread title.
    Thread titles can be and are set by the originator of the thread. Moderators and Administrators can also edit thread titles. If a poster decides to leave a thread title the same as the referenced article that is their choice.

Pastor Stanley has a large ministry and therefore he has appointed people to different responsibilities. This is biblical and you can trace it all the way back to Moses. Does In Touch magazine have an editor? Yes. The editors job is to oversee the articles that are in the magazine. Stanley has to trust this person to make the correct decisions.
    Stanley is still the editor's boss.

I don't have a problem with discernment ministries. I have a problem with deceptive tactics especially when they affect a good teacher in an era of terrible theology. Why didn't Ken Silva name the writer of the article. The editor of the magazine. If you google in touch and contemplative it has spread like wildfire. Charles Stanley's name is assosiated with it.
    All the more reason why the good Doctor needs to pull the weeds from his garden.

In this thread we have seen people questioning Stanley all of a sudden. His sermons are biblical and he is fundamental. This article has done damage and I believe it is completely irresponsible.
    To use another metaphor, it is merely shining a light on a cockroach. Better to get the one before it becomes an infestation.

Again I actually believe that what sites like apprising does is biblical and you will not hear complaints from me. Again the name of this article should have put blame where it belongs, on the individual.
    The fact is this article was published under the good name of Dr. Stanley and as such implies his tacit approval through association. There is no getting around that fact. As a good gardener I would expect Dr. Stanley to weed his garden from time to time. If he does not do so after having been made aware of the problem, well then, that in and of itself would be very telling don't you think?

Business execs are held accountable when lower down the ladder, corruption damaging the company is exposed.

Same standard of accountability with government corruption.

Is this model not applicable to founders and directors of Christian ministries, large and small? And don't editors still have to answer to their bosses, in addition to considering the input of the publishing staff team? (Rhetorical... )

P.S. I did listen to a sermon on t.v. recently by Dr. Stanley. It was completely biblical.
    Last edited by EarsToHear; July 23rd, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

I know where and why the title came about, sees Steve's comments please.

Like I stated, I don't know Mr. Silva, he does what he does. If there is fault with him, its his issue.

However I don't agree with your assessment as stated above, this is not the world, its not an "organization" in any sense of the word in my book, this is the teachings of the Lord. If this were my company in the world, I would agree. If it were me in his place, after dealing with this sort of issue time and again, which I'm sure he has had to, then its time to shut er down to the point where you actually control what is put out there. May seem a little drastic, but thats just me, there is no other way to be accountable for yourself. I've enjoyed many of his sermons over the years.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.