Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about people with alzheimers

Texas gulf coast, and just this side of crazy

Default Question about people with alzheimers

I was back in the lock unit at the nursing home where I work and was watching the residents eat supper. I got to thinking. What if they haven't made the choice for Christ yet and now their minds are gone to the point that they cant remember past five minutes? What will happen to them when they die?
    Romans 10:13 "For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" NKJV
    RIP Super Zazoo the Wonder Horse

You don't need a memory to be kept in Christ if you repent and get Saved. The Lord will keep them in their salvation even if they forget they repented and received Christ.

I have met two people with memory problems who received Christ with these memory disabilities. Both had short term memory problems due to brain injuries.

They would struggle to remember who you are and anything new to them since their injuries was very difficult for them to learn or retain. However both came to Jesus with their brain injuries and both grew in their walk with God. Pretty amazing.

An elderly man from Church I used to attend many years ago about 10 years ago began to show signs of Dementia and now has Alzheimers. Even though he might have forgotten who I was or my husband when we would meet him at the local shops with his wife by his side. This man's ability to remember God's Word was amazing. Earlier this year he had to be put into a Nursing Home because he was wondering off from home and getting lost. However he can still recite great slabs of scripture to you 'word perfect'.

It can only be the Lord who sustains these people despite their memories failing them. God keeps them intact in their faith.

I agree - anyone who was truly saved before their dementia came on will still be saved. You know - OSAS.

However, for those who shunned the word of God when they were lucid, it is too late now that their minds are gone. They no longer can make the choice to follow Jesus and have salvation. To me, this is another reason that people need to accept the gift of salvation when they can, and not put it off until tomorrow. Tomorrow is promised to no one.
    Strengthen the weak hands, And make firm the feeble knees. Say to those who are feeble-hearted, Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with a vengence, With the recompense of God; He will come and save you." Is 35:3-6

Lvanett Guest

I'm glad this came up. My dad accepted Christ long before he got dementia/Alzheimers....he has become violent, foul mouthed and forgetful....AFAIK he never repented of it during his dementia since he didn't think he said or did anything wrong. (He did of course before then.) My thinking was that he is still saved because he doesn't know what he is doing or saying.

I am really glad my dad came to know the Lord before all this happened, and sometimes I wish the Lord would take him home, so he can have his mind back.

Im a hospice nurses aide and have had alot of alzheimers patients. First of all let me say that it's my opinion that they are alot smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Secondly, I have had patients with alzheimers who have been Godly people before the onset of the disease but would out cuss the worse cusser any day! I too believe that ones who were saved before the disease are still saved.

My husband acted pretty demented after his head injury.

He would think we were spies, etc. Yell at me for "blowing our cover" to the nurses.

One day I used a [badword] and he got really upset! It's like the head injury made him a better Christian.

You just don't know what's going on in someone's head.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

How does anyone know if an unsaved person who develops Alzhiemers cannot be saved? they are still alive. My mother has this disease. She is worsening. However,at times she still knows me. Only God knows the heart and soul of a person.
    BelovedChild

Quote Originally Posted by watchwoman View Post
    I agree - anyone who was truly saved before their dementia came on will still be saved. You know - OSAS.

However, for those who shunned the word of God when they were lucid, it is too late now that their minds are gone. They no longer can make the choice to follow Jesus and have salvation. To me, this is another reason that people need to accept the gift of salvation when they can, and not put it off until tomorrow. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

You have no biblical proof to back this statement. Where in the Bible does it say any person with any kind of mental disability is beyond God being able to Save them? None exists.

Also you are jumping to a conclusion that a person who gets Dementia or Alzheimers has done so as a judgement from God and again where is your scriptural proof this is how God deals with people?

So you have come up with some new teaching here. All Dementia or Alzheimers patients who are not Saved will never get Saved because they have been judged by God.

Let me say you could apply your logic to Homosexuality at least I can find scriptures to back the idea (I am not saying it is correct but there are scriptures that could be used in the way you have judged and written off all UnSaved people with Dementia or Alzheimers). Have you ever met or heard of Homosexuals or Lesbians being Saved? There are a number of testimonies I have seen on this very Forum where they have come to Christ even though they were as the Bible would say. Yes Homosexuals and Lesbians are able to be Saved and I know a few who are.

RO 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

RO 1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.

RO 1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
    If I apply what Watchwoman has said about those who are UnSaved and then get Dementia or Alzheimers to Homosexuals (just to try and prove a point here I am not teaching this I do not believe this is the case myself). Then you would have to conclude that ALL Lesbians and Homosexuals are now beyond redemption because the scriptures say their minds are now gone, darkened and deluded and no longer able to believe God's Truth.

To quote Watchwoman from her post here:- for those who shunned the word of God when they were lucid, it is too late now that their minds are gone. They no longer can make the choice to follow Jesus and have salvation.

So to take her conclusion - A mind that is gone cannot apparently make a choice for Jesus.

Yet we know that even though what we have read here in Romans about Homosexuals & Lesbians who are UnSaved, that some can still repent and find salvation even with depraved and darkened minds. Why? Because God is merciful and He is always enabling those who Truly Seek Him to find Him and His gospel. In their condition with depraved and darkened minds it was not a barrier to salvation because the Spirit of God enabled them to receive the gospel Truth.

So I would think again before you judge anyone with any kind of mental illness or condition as being written off by God. You are not God and not the ultimate judge nor do you know if someone will come to Christ or not. That is only for the Lord.

The only time it is too late is after death. Read the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus. Death is final condition that we can say the person no longer has a any further opportunity to receive salvation. As you & I are not God we do not and cannot know who God has decided to finally give up on in this world. That is of course if God has done so (judged someone before their death), we must in our ignorance continue to witness to all those around us and leave the final judgement of mankind's souls to the Lord.

You cannot say all Unsaved people who are losing their mental facalties are finished with God. You cannot limit God to not being able to reach those with mental diseases or brain injuries that have resulted in poor brain function. God is able to do all things.

The other thing is these people with Dementia or Alzheimers their minds ability to think and recall things it is not completely eroded at once it is a progressive disease and there is time to still communiate with these people.

I had a father-in-law (now passed away) and other family member with Alzheimers and I can tell you we would pray for God to give them the ability to understand what we were saying to them. We would find from time to time they would have short periods of clarity and we are sure this was from God. In those times of clarity we were able to share with them the gospel and ask them to repent and come to Jesus. Many times like this even though they grew worse and worse with their thinking and memories we would have these short periods of clarity, some times only 5 mins and other times a whole visit would be with a person that was sharp and clear.

I have seen and experienced God work in the hearts and minds of two people with Alzheimers but we cannot be sure if they have 100% received Jesus because they certainly did hear what we had said to them and they did respond to even say yes to Jesus but then we would often lose the clarity and it was back to muddled thinking. Unfortunately right near the end they didn't respond to much of anything. Some people go more quickly than others but I still kept sharing the Bible and praying for them. It was up to God to do the work of salvation (not me) and nothing is impossible to God.

We should all try to receive salvation before it is too late, no one knows if they will die tomorrow and then it definitely will be too late. However we cannot jump to the conclusion people with certain illnesses or conditions are unable to be Saved.

DA 5:18 "O king, the Most High God gave your father Nebuchadnezzar sovereignty and greatness and glory and splendor. 19 Because of the high position he gave him, all the peoples and nations and men of every language dreaded and feared him. Those the king wanted to put to death, he put to death; those he wanted to spare, he spared; those he wanted to promote, he promoted; and those he wanted to humble, he humbled. 20 But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. 21 He was driven away from people and given the mind of an animal; he lived with the wild donkeys and ate grass like cattle; and his body was drenched with the dew of heaven, until he acknowledged that the Most High God is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and sets over them anyone he wishes.
    DA 4:34 At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.

His dominion is an eternal dominion;
    his kingdom endures from generation to generation.

DA 4:35 All the peoples of the earth
    are regarded as nothing.
    He does as he pleases
    with the powers of heaven
    and the peoples of the earth.
    No one can hold back his hand
    or say to him: "What have you done?"

DA 4:36 At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. 37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.
    King Nebuchadnezzar was given the mind of an animal to humble him. The King did humble himself even in his state as an animal and he was restored by God. So a mind that is gone isn't a sign God has finished with someone. God can work in a person's heart during a state when the person's mind is gone and even restore the person to full health if God desires. It is not a big deal for God. You don't know if God is allowing some UnSaved person to have Dementia or Alzheimers to humble them and draw them to His salvation. The thing is you don't know why God has given someone over to these diseases/conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsy View Post
    You have no biblical proof to back this statement. Where in the Bible does it say any person with any kind of mental disability is beyond God being able to Save them? None exists.

Also you are jumping to a conclusion that a person who gets Dementia or Alzheimers has done so as a judgement from God and again where is your scriptural proof this is how God deals with people?

So you have come up with some new teaching here. All Dementia or Alzheimers patients who are not Saved will never get Saved because they have been judged by God.

Let me say you could apply your logic to Homosexuality at least I can find scriptures to back the idea (I am not saying it is correct but there are scriptures that could be used in the way you have judged and written off all UnSaved people with Dementia or Alzheimers). Have you ever met or heard of Homosexuals or Lesbians being Saved? There are a number of testimonies I have seen on this very Forum where they have come to Christ even though they were as the Bible would say. Yes Homosexuals and Lesbians are able to be Saved and I know a few who are.

If I apply what Watchwoman has said about those who are UnSaved and then get Dementia or Alzheimers to Homosexuals (just to try and prove a point here I am not teaching this I do not believe this is the case myself). Then you would have to conclude that ALL Lesbians and Homosexuals are now beyond redemption because the scriptures say their minds are now gone, darkened and deluded and no longer able to believe God's Truth.

To quote Watchwoman from her post here:- for those who shunned the word of God when they were lucid, it is too late now that their minds are gone. They no longer can make the choice to follow Jesus and have salvation.

So to take her conclusion - A mind that is gone cannot apparently make a choice for Jesus.

Yet we know that even though what we have read here in Romans about Homosexuals & Lesbians who are UnSaved, that some can still repent and find salvation even with depraved and darkened minds. Why? Because God is merciful and He is always enabling those who Truly Seek Him to find Him and His gospel. In their condition with depraved and darkened minds it was not a barrier to salvation because the Spirit of God enabled them to receive the gospel Truth.

So I would think again before you judge anyone with any kind of mental illness or condition as being written off by God. You are not God and not the ultimate judge nor do you know if someone will come to Christ or not. That is only for the Lord.

The only time it is too late is after death. Read the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus. Death is final condition that we can say the person no longer has a any further opportunity to receive salvation. As you & I are not God we do not and cannot know who God has decided to finally give up on in this world. That is of course if God has done so (judged someone before their death), we must in our ignorance continue to witness to all those around us and leave the final judgement of mankind's souls to the Lord.

You cannot say all Unsaved people who are losing their mental facalties are finished with God. You cannot limit God to not being able to reach those with mental diseases or brain injuries that have resulted in poor brain function. God is able to do all things.

The other thing is these people with Dementia or Alzheimers their minds ability to think and recall things it is not completely eroded at once it is a progressive disease and there is time to still communiate with these people.

I had a father-in-law (now passed away) and other family member with Alzheimers and I can tell you we would pray for God to give them the ability to understand what we were saying to them. We would find from time to time they would have short periods of clarity and we are sure this was from God. In those times of clarity we were able to share with them the gospel and ask them to repent and come to Jesus. Many times like this even though they grew worse and worse with their thinking and memories we would have these short periods of clarity, some times only 5 mins and other times a whole visit would be with a person that was sharp and clear.

I have seen and experienced God work in the hearts and minds of two people with Alzheimers but we cannot be sure if they have 100% received Jesus because they certainly did hear what we had said to them and they did respond to even say yes to Jesus but then we would often lose the clarity and it was back to muddled thinking. Unfortunately right near the end they didn't respond to much of anything. Some people go more quickly than others but I still kept sharing the Bible and praying for them. It was up to God to do the work of salvation (not me) and nothing is impossible to God.

We should all try to receive salvation before it is too late, no one knows if they will die tomorrow and then it definitely will be too late. However we cannot jump to the conclusion people with certain illnesses or conditions are unable to be Saved.

King Nebuchadnezzar was given the mind of an animal to humble him. The King did humble himself even in his state as an animal and he was restored by God. So a mind that is gone isn't a sign God has finished with someone. God can work in a person's heart during a state when the person's mind is gone and even restore the person to full health if God desires. It is not a big deal for God. You don't know if God is allowing some UnSaved person to have Dementia or Alzheimers to humble them and draw them to His salvation. The thing is you don't know why God has given someone over to these diseases/conditions.

Good post.Like I said in my earlier post, I believe that alzheimers/dementia patients are alot smarter than we give them credit for. I am not saying that they are more aware of things than we believe them to be and that the disease isnt as consuming as it appears..but I do believe that God is able to do things beyond our understanding. Every time someone says that a person is beyond God's hand and reach I always think of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer. Both men were saved at the time of their death even though they had committed heinous acts. There is no one that God can't reach. The only ones who do not come to Him are the ones who willingly reject Him.

People with Alzheimers will often return to a child-like way of thinking. Remember this quote by Jesus in Luke 18:17, "Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” Perhaps this could mean that in some cases at least, people are more likely to receive the gospel if they develop Alzheimers than if they never did.

My mother had Alzheimers and for a time, she seemed to lose the ability to speak and communicate while still able to understand what was being said to her, albeit in a simple way. As it progressed, she reached a point where she appeared to understand little or nothing of what was being said to her. Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about her salvation because she had accepted the gospel while very young, but if she hadn't been saved you can be sure that I would have been communicating the gospel to her constantly in those final years regardless of whether she seemed to understand what I was saying or not. The Holy Spirit can break through all sorts of barriers....why not Alzheimers?

When I was four years old, I watched a film about the life of Jesus being shown by my family's church. When it reached the part in the story portraying Jesus' crucifixion, I can distinctly remember feeling deeply moved in my heart - not just because I felt sorry for this poor Man being nailed to the cross - but because I knew exactly why it happened....because He was paying for my sins so I could spend eternity in Heaven. This is a deep truth for a four-year-old to embrace, and I know the Holy Spirit was the One giving me this understanding. He wasn't in any way hindered by my lack of maturity.

Perhaps in some cases, God may choose not to graciously enlighten the mind of an Alzheimer's patient, but it should never be up to any of us to assess whether any person in any state of mind is unable to be reached with the gospel.
    Hey, Dad......ARE WE THERE YET?

Several years ago, after a serious head injury and brain surgery, my late father-in-law became kind of 'out of it'. Several Christians and we were praying for a moment in time that he would become lucid again, so that dh could once again share the saving message of Jesus Christ. Guess what? He did become lucid for several hours. My dh prayed with him to receive Christ during this brief time. My FIL died less than 48 hours later. We hope to see him in heaven when we get there. God was so good to hear the prayers of His people for this man to be able to hear the gospel one more time.

-Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsy View Post

My goodness, Mitsy! I seem to have really hit a sore spot. Let me answer you, and hopefully my words will be softer than those that were directed to me.

We've had numerous threads here about the "age of decision", referring to children and when they have the ability to really understand the Gospel message and make a decision for Christ. While scripture doesn't give us a specific age, I think most agree that there needs to be a certain level of understanding. (I am not getting into a conversation here about children under the age of decision being saved by grace - just talking about the ability to make a conscious decision.)

I was simply equating someone with Alzheimer's with that same idea - that there be an ability to understand and chose. Also, while a very young child has never had the understanding to actively reject the Gospel, most unsaved adults who later have dementia very likely have heard and rejected it consciously. (And just to clarify, I am not referring to any mental disability other than dementia, which comes on in later adulthood.)

Here you are stating what you think is my "conclusion", but there was absolutely nothing in my post about any sort of "judgement". I'm quite confused about how you make this declaration about what you're apparently are sure I meant, but never wrote.

Please see above.

Again, I have no idea how you equated what I posted with anything about homosexuals (?)

Mitsy, I'm very sorry that I apparently angered you While I have my doubts if an unsaved person can have dementia and still somehow come to salvation, I would be as happy as the next person if I were wrong. I guess we'll both find out when we're with the Lord someday.
    Strengthen the weak hands, And make firm the feeble knees. Say to those who are feeble-hearted, Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with a vengence, With the recompense of God; He will come and save you." Is 35:3-6

randall Guest

My grandmother died of alzheimers some years ago, she did some cussing and stuff like that at first but as the disease wore on she would mumble scripture and sing hymns over and over, until we couldn't tell by looking or hearing, but we knew behind her face, frozen by the disease, God was still in her heart, and if she couldn't hear us ministering to her the holy spirit could. I also would like to say that I think its a good idea to minister Jesus words to anyone regardless of age or mental capacity, isn't that what our Lord tells us in Matthew.

I knew a pastor whose mother had Alzheimer, he would tell his congregation from time to time how he and his mother would talk about Jesus. He said she died still in love with the Lord.

We can't equate diseases and injury to the brain with the condition of the soul. As long as the soul can hear the word of God it can respond to it even if it is locked in a malfunctioning body.

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post
    My grandmother died of alzheimers some years ago, she did some cussing and stuff like that at first but as the disease wore on she would mumble scripture and sing hymns over and over, until we couldn't tell by looking or hearing, but we knew behind her face, frozen by the disease, God was still in her heart, and if she couldn't hear us ministering to her the holy spirit could. I also would like to say that I think its a good idea to minister Jesus words to anyone regardless of age or mental capacity, isn't that what our Lord tells us in Matthew.
    This sounds a bit like my grandfather who was an agnostic during his life and at age 92 he had several mini-strokes and was not really able to communicate. Our Pastor met with him and asked him to squeeze his hand if he wanted to repent and receive Christ and he responded with a firm hand squeeze. That is not a lot but we are hoping also to see him in heaven as a washed in the blood follower of Christ.
    Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

Even before his accident, I was always interested in the human brain, coma, etc.

One thing I read, again and again: PEOPLE IN A COMA HEAR EVERYTHING.

I acted accordingly after the accident. I warned his family. They didn't believe me and Ron heard them plotting to get me declared incompotent and put him in a nursing home!

He woke up and wouldn't talk to them. They kept going "Oh, what's wrong" all this phony sugar stuff.

I was not medicated at the time, and sarcastically mentioned "Boy, he must have heard you plotting after I went home". They got pale.

"Yup" Ron goes. "You called her crazy, and worse. Go away now".

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

I'm breaking my self-imposed silence for this one........

First, for what it's worth, I am a specialist working in the field of neuro-muscular research and rehabilitation and just finished 30 CEU's all on the recent developments on Dementia research( in order to renew my medical license I must complete continuing education requirements every 2 years in order to stay abreast of new developments, treatment approaches etc)..I could go on with credentials but you get the picture I hope.....

Okay, I will answer Zazzy's original question first.
    Zazzy--I understand your heartache and concern for those suffering with dementia ( of which Alzheimer's is just one form of dementia). By the time one of your residents reaches a 3.5 on the Allen Cognition Scale, short term memory and retention of any kind of teaching or instruction is almost nil. I understand the reasoning behind watchwoman's thinking-- if a person has spent a lifetime denying God or salvation through Christ, it would be nothing short of a miracle of immaculate proportions for someone to comprehend the issue at this stage--and also, what they do retain is usually long-term memory and deeply held beliefs ( this is why often some dementia pt's with a Christian background will still sing verses to "Jesus Loves Me" etc.. although they can't even speak their name anymore)...But I would never be foolish enough to put a limit on anything that is God's will or designs--His designs will come to pass no matter what....

To clarify a few things...TBI's ( traumatic brain injuries) CVA's..(aka "strokes") and many other forms of neurological pathologies cannot be compared for purposes of this question--they are truly apples and oranges because of the areas of the brain affected and the ability to reason may or may not be impaired as it is with dementia...

And finally, " it is like homosexuality"???? Comparing the effects of dementia on the decision making process with homosexuals admitting that their lifestyle is a sin and repenting of their evil ways is not just comparing apples to oranges..this is comparing fruit to Walmart brand spaghetti O's..

I hope and pray with all of my heart that deep inside of the degrading brains of the dementia patient that God may still allow a channel or chance for His truth and salvation to be available to them. I'd like to believe that as long as we are on this side of death that there is hope for every soul......

Jackson, you'll appreciate this. Glasgow coma of 3. In a coma 3 weeks. DIA injury, coup-countrecoup, and contusions on both hemispheres. Hemmorhagic stroke.

Bad outcome, my foot. I wish they could have seen him filling the soda machine today.

I get my Bibles here

Out of touch with the world doesn't necessarily mean out of touch with God; God is bigger than brain injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
    Out of touch with the world doesn't necessarily mean out of touch with God; God is bigger than brain injuries.
    Precisely. There's no disease on the face of this earth that can get in between God and one of His. Plus, they are called miracles people; they happen.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig