Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Lucado

Default Max Lucado

Can someone help me, one of my Bible study group has been told to read (THE STORY) by Max Lucado and randy frazee, I do know that Max Lucado teaches that you must be water Baptized to be saved, This I know is false. Please Help is the book THE STORY good or bad? thank you.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch....tag=max-lucado

"Our Lord uses Joel Osteen to lift my eyes, lighten my step, and brighten my heart. May God use this book to do the same for you."
    —Max Lucado, Bestselling Author and Pastor
    http://www.faithfulreader.com/review...2754-about.asp

It seems Randy Frazee is an unrepentant Emergent from Willow Creek (Emergent Central). Lest we think he has changed his Emergent ways he lets us know:

January 26, 2008

Today the Elders of Willow Creek are announcing that two senior staff leaders have made personal decisions to pursue new ministries outside our church.

This June, Teaching Pastor Randy Frazee will become the Senior Minister of Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he will teach and lead in partnership with pastor and author, Max Lucado....

“It has been a complete privilege and joy to be a part of the Willow Creek team,” he said. “You can count on our fervent prayers and blessings as we move forward on this endeavor.”
    (We're not supposed to bless anything we don't believe is of God.)

I may be addled, but I couldn't find "The Story" by Lucado and Frazee.

I think it is sufficient to say that anything by these two Emergents is to be avoided.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Thank You

You're very welcome.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

A Church of Christ friend of mine said she and Max Lucado were very close years ago in Texas, but she married another Church of Christ member instead.

Max Lucado was Church of Christ (whose beliefs are water baptism saves, repentence must come before salvation, replacement theology--the land of Israel is just dirt like any other area, and no rapture--the earth will be purged by fire). Not sure if he still is completely Church of Christ or not.
    Rom. 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.
    Rom. 8:28 God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by EarsToHear View Post
    A Church of Christ friend of mine said she and Max Lucado were very close years ago in Texas, but she married another Church of Christ member instead.

Max Lucado was Church of Christ (whose beliefs are water baptism saves, repentence must come before salvation, replacement theology--the land of Israel is just dirt like any other area, and no rapture--the earth will be purged by fire). Not sure if he still is completely Church of Christ or not.
    Yep sounds like Church of Christ to a T. I too have heard Max is from it. Don't know if he is or not.
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

worshipful Guest

Default Max, Randy, and The Story

I happened to come across this thread through gmail and thought I would provide a few details. I attend Oak Hills church and know Max Lucado. I will confirm that he is certainly from a Church of Christ background. However, both he and the church have received a great deal of criticism after they withdrew from the Church of Christ. Max is the same gentle man behind the scenes as he his in his books. I have never once heard him mention his accomplishments in private discussion, because he is more concerned with how you are doing. This to me is always the mark of a genuine spiritual leader.

The Story was born out of a desire for the church in general to become more aware of the overall direction of the movement of God through the Bible. I can't say that this is a bad idea considering most self-proclaimed Christians really don't know much about the Bible. I've heard Randy Frazee say over and over again that if the church does not work at the smallest unit, the family around the dinner table, then the church will not work at all. This was what led the usage of The Story in family study groups throughout the church.

Are we all Biblical scholars at this point? No. I think it's important to note that while we may not be Biblical scholars because of the study, a seed was planted in many people who never thought of the Bible as something so big, beautiful, and far reaching as they do now.

~Blessings~

worshipful - Appreciate your input.

Welcome to RR, looking forward to your posting in other threads as well.

I have always liked max lucado, but when i cam here everyone put him in Apostasy so I stopped reading his books. I'm concerned about the Joel Olsteen comment from above, but after thinking this through for a while, I have never found anything in his books that were unscriptual. I think I'm going to get his newest book and see whats in it.
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Max Lacado has been featured in an article in Dr. Stanley's 'In Touch' magazine (March 2011 issue, page 13, titled: "Made to make a difference")

So seeing Max Lacado in the apostasy section here is concerning. Wondering why he is given time and space in the 'In Touch' magazine if there's a problem with what he teaches.

I was just beginning to read more of Dr. Stanley's writings, so now what, I wonder? (no need to respond to my last question, just thinking out loud.)

Just be aware of his growing (or was he always?) Contemplative beliefs, actions and teachings.

"Max Lucado Hops into the Contemplative Camp" http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch....8ad468b087%2C0

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    Max Lacado has been featured in an article in Dr. Stanley's 'In Touch' magazine (March 2011 issue, page 13, titled: "Made to make a difference")

So seeing Max Lacado in the apostasy section here is concerning. Wondering why he is given time and space in the 'In Touch' magazine if there's a problem with what he teaches.

I was just beginning to read more of Dr. Stanley's writings, so now what, I wonder? (no need to respond to my last question, just thinking out loud.)
    I have a ton (and I do mean a lot) of Bible study and sermons and books and teaching tools from Charles Stanley and I have never heard him preach anything but the straight forward gospel. As sound as anyone as I have ever heard.
    Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
    You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Pre-Flood!
    Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by RaptureReady_7 View Post
    I have a ton (and I do mean a lot) of Bible study and sermons and books and teaching tools from Charles Stanley and I have never heard him preach anything but the straight forward gospel. As sound as anyone as I have ever heard.
    I'm not saying otherwise. But the article is in his magazine. I sited the exact issue for anyone who wants to see it.

I thought I have read that Max Lucado held to water baptism being crucial to salvation?

A church I have been attending is getting ready to have all their church groups study "The Story", along with preaching on it. It just seems to me that if you want people to learn what the Bible is about,then read the Bible.

Why do you need a book to 'sum up the Bible', who a few have said leaves out many crucial parts of the Bible that are important to 'the story'?

I don't know if it's true, but I also heard that the pastor is going to be quoting from just the book as he preaches. Why not just quote scripture?
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Default Max Lucado General Teachings/Activities

- In early-1995, Lucado was working on a novel based on the fictional account of Jesus life as if He were born in the South in the United States today. Lucado said he was thinking of titling it The Gospel According to Manny (Manny being short for Immanuel). Lucado's only concern for this title is that "Manny doesn't sound like a Southern name" (June/July 1995, Release).

The interviewer of the Release article suggested to Lucado that he might want to change the title of The Gospel According to Manny to The Gospel According to Manny Joe-Bob, in order to better reflect Jesus' fictitious Southern heritage. Lucado said he liked that idea. [All this is not surprising when one considers the everyday, flippant, irreverent attitude Lucado has toward the Savior -- in his office, Lucado has hung a sketch of Jesus laughing hysterically (5/15/96, Calvary Contender)].

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/...ado/lucado.htm

Was the article written in 2002? That's what it says at the bottom.

Anyhow, whatever the date, this person is not worth discussing (to me, anyway). If others have an interest, it would be wise for them to know about Max Lucado's teachings.
    Jesus saith unto him, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me." John 14:6

Has anyone on the Forum read The Story? I started reading it recently beginning in Genesis and just finished Song of Soloman and I have read Revelation. I have read the KJV and NIV and was curious about The Story. It does leave out certain events in scripture so it can't be used as a replacement to the actual KJV or NIV, etc translations. It does not replace the Bible. It is a book that paraphrases some biblical events. I can say it made reading through the begats easier and it helped me understand the Old Testament better and why God's judgement on Israel is what it is today. It may have been written with the new believer in mind but I would not recommend it for a new believer unless they are being sheparded and then only in tandem with the Bible. I would hate for a new believer to think The Story is a substitution for the Bible. I like Mac Lucado and I have many of his daily devotionals and I find them uplifting and encouraging and the forward in The Story made me curious enough to read it. It's okay but not a replacement for the KJV, NIV, or other recognized translations. Has anyone else read it and if so what are your thoughts?

Default Glad to find this thread...

I haven't been on the boards in a while, but came here today looking for information about "The Story." A church we've been attending is planning to read and discuss this over the next year.

I confess I'm a little wary of it. Since the last posts, has anyone else seen or heard anything about this book? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMama View Post
    I haven't been on the boards in a while, but came here today looking for information about "The Story." A church we've been attending is planning to read and discuss this over the next year.

I confess I'm a little wary of it. Since the last posts, has anyone else seen or heard anything about this book? Thanks...
    I wouldn't send one min. of time listening to a preacher, preaching from a book like "The Story." It's fiction, and is meant to sell as many copies as possible for profit. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kjlistrom View Post
    I wouldn't send one min. of time listening to a preacher, preaching from a book like "The Story." It's fiction, and is meant to sell as many copies as possible for profit. IMO
    I fully agree with you!

The whole idea that God's Word needs some "harmless" fiction to spice it up and make it more palatable is extremely insulting to God's ability as an Author.
    Jesus warned against "leaven" (fictional additions (evil)) added to God's Word. The Truth needs no such additions and Revelation warns against any additions.
    There is a precedent in the acceptance of using fictional additions which could later lead to false doctrine, as many cults do.
    I guess that makes me an extremist, but where do you draw the line with God's Word?